Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 93,768. Estimated population in July 2005: 93,102 (-0.7% change)
Males: 44,173 (47.1%), Females: 49,595 (52.9%)
Zip codes: .
Median resident age: 35.9 years
Median household income: $27,569 (year 2000)
Median house value: $113,500 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in New Bedford:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (75.2%)
- Hispanic (10.2%)
- Other race (9.5%)
- Two or more races (5.9%)
- Black (4.4%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
Ancestries: Portuguese (38.6%), French (9.1%), Subsaharan African (8.2%), Irish (7.9%), English (7.3%), French Canadian (5.9%).
New! Bedford, Massachusetts forum
Elevation: 50 feet
Land area: 20.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in New Bedford
- High school or higher: 57.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.2%
- Unemployed: 8.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in New Bedford city
- Never married: 31.1%
- Now married: 45.6%
- Separated: 3.3%
- Widowed: 9.2%
- Divorced: 10.8%
19.6% Foreign born (14.6% Europe, 2.1% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -4,828 (-4.9%).
Homes - Real Estate Listings Search. View Properties in Massachusetts. />
Apartments - directories, photos and rent info for apartments in your area />
with Rent.com - Costa Mesa CA apartments Report your lease and get $100. />
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (47.5 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (215.3 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: MA (2.3 miles Fairhaven, MA (2.6 miles Acushnet, Center, MA (2.9 miles Acushnet Corner, MA (3.2 miles Bliss Mills, MA (3.6 miles Smith MA Mattapoisett, (8.1 miles Center, MA (9.0 miles Mattapoisett MA (9.5 miles Rochester,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 51 buildings, average cost: $55,000
- 1997: 74 buildings, average cost: $57,000
- 1998: 76 buildings, average cost: $64,300
- 1999: 68 buildings, average cost: $61,200
- 2000: 82 buildings, average cost: $63,900
- 2001: 59 buildings, average cost: $72,600
- 2002: 66 buildings, average cost: $76,900
- 2003: 161 buildings, average cost: $76,500
- 2004: 70 buildings, average cost: $152,400
- 2005: 60 buildings, average cost: $127,600
Latitude: 41.65 N, Longitude: 70.93 W
Area codes: 508, 774
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (20.9%), Manufacturing (20.7%), Retail trade (12.1%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +519 (+0.6%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 18,653 (49.7%)
Crime in New Bedford by Year
|Type ||2000 ||2001 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||1 ||5 ||11 ||5 |
| per 100,000 ||1.1 ||5.3 ||11.7 ||5.3 |
|Rapes ||44 ||63 ||104 ||50 |
| per 100,000 ||46.9 ||67.2 ||110.9 ||53.3 |
|Robberies ||145 ||197 ||234 ||250 |
| per 100,000 ||154.6 ||210.1 ||249.6 ||266.6 |
|Assaults ||599 ||491 ||330 ||664 |
| per 100,000 ||638.8 ||523.6 ||351.9 ||708.1 |
|Burglaries ||801 ||831 ||945 ||892 |
| per 100,000 ||854.2 ||886.2 ||1007.8 ||951.3 |
|Thefts ||1,032 ||1,072 ||1,187 ||1,867 |
| per 100,000 ||1100.6 ||1143.2 ||1265.9 ||1991.1 |
|Auto thefts ||544 ||561 ||534 ||448 |
| per 100,000 ||580.2 ||598.3 ||569.5 ||477.8 |
| ||344.2 ||355.6 ||368.1 ||432.7 |
Average climate in New Bedford, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
New Bedford-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Massachusetts state average. It is 71% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1953, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 33.1 miles away from the New Bedford city center injured 17 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 8/28/1970, a category 2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 4.3 miles away from the city center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Brian Pothier - NHL player (Ottawa Senators, born: Apr 15, 1977), Hetty Green - businesswoman famed for her stinginess, her estate was more than $100,000,000..
Main business address for: SEACOAST FINANCIAL SERVICES CORP (SAVINGS INSTITUTIONS, NOT FEDERALLY CHARTERED).
Hospital/medical center in New Bedford:
- SUNHEALTH SPECIALTY HOSPITAL OF SOE MA (4499 ACUSHNET AVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near New Bedford:
- ST ANNES HOSPITAL CORPORATION (about 12 miles; FALL RIVER, MA)
- DR JOHN C CORRIGAN MENTAL HEALTH CTR (about 15 miles; FALL RIVER, MA)
- SOUTHCOAST HOSPITAL GROUP INC (about 15 miles; FALL RIVER, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to New Bedford:
- MARTHAS VINEYARD (about 30 miles; VINEYARD HAVEN, MA; ID: MVY)
- THEODORE FRANCIS GREEN STATE (about 34 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; ID: PVD)
- BARNSTABLE MUNI-BOARDMAN/POLANDO FIELD (about 47 miles; HYANNIS, MA; ID: HYA)
Other public-use airports nearest to New Bedford:
- NEW BEDFORD REGIONAL (about 2 miles; NEW BEDFORD, MA; ID: EWB)
- MYRICKS (about 14 miles; BERKLEY, MA; ID: 1M8)
- TAUNTON MUNI (about 16 miles; TAUNTON, MA; ID: TAN)
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total ||531 ||$1,510,060 ||$34,125 ||74 ||$96,529 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction ||1759 ||$7,546,160 ||$51,480 ||182 ||$324,008 | Colleges/Universities in New Bedford:
- NEW BEDFORD BEAUTY ACADEMY (Full-time enrollment: 20; Location: 1872 ACUSHNET AVE; Private, for-profit)
- LA BARON HAIRDRESSING ACADEMY (FT enrollment: 16; Location: 281 UNION ST; Private, for-profit)
- NORTHEAST MARITIME INSTITUTE (Location: 66 SPRING ST; Private, for-profit)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to New Bedford:
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS-DARTMOUTH (about 5 miles; NORTH DARTMOUTH, MA; Full-time enrollment: 6,071)
- BRISTOL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 15 miles; FALL RIVER, MA; FT enrollment: 3,497)
- BRIDGEWATER STATE COLLEGE (about 24 miles; BRIDGEWATER, MA; FT enrollment: 6,843)
- ROGER WILLIAMS UNIVERSITY (about 24 miles; BRISTOL, RI; FT enrollment: 3,007)
- STONEHILL COLLEGE (about 31 miles; EASTON, MA; FT enrollment: 2,374)
- MASSASOIT COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 31 miles; BROCKTON, MA; FT enrollment: 4,161)
- BROWN UNIVERSITY (about 35 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; FT enrollment: 7,460)
Public high schools in New Bedford:
- NEW BEDFORD HIGH (Students: 3,345; Location: 230 HATHAWAY BLVD; Grades: 09 - 12)
- GR NEW BEDFORD VOC TECH (Students: 1,856; Location: 1121 ASHLEY BLVD; Grades: 09 - 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in New Bedford:
- NORMANDIN MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 1,334; Location: 240 TARKILN HILL RD; Grades: 06 - 08)
- ROOSEVELT MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 985; Location: 119 FREDERICK STREET; Grades: 06 - 08)
- KEITH MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 755; Location: 70 HATHAWAY BLVD; Grades: 07 - 08)
- HAYDEN/MCFADDEN (Students: 716; Location: 361 CEDAR GROVE; Grades: PK - 06)
- SGT WM H CARNEY ACAD (Students: 676; Location: 247 ELM STREET; Grades: PK - 06)
- CASMIR PULASKI (Students: 614; Location: 1097 BRALEY RD; Grades: PK - 05)
- JOHN AVERY PARKER (Students: 551; Location: 705 COUNTY STREET; Grades: PK - 06)
- ALFRED J GOMES (Students: 531; Location: 286 S SECOND STREET; Grades: PK - 05)
- JOHN B DEVALLES (Students: 382; Location: 120 KATHERINE STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
- SARAH D OTTIWELL (Students: 368; Location: 6 MADEIRA AVENUE; Grades: PK - 05)
Biggest private primary/middle schools in New Bedford:
- ST. ANTHONY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 384; Location: 190 ASHLEY BLVD; Grades: PK - 8)
- HOLY FAMILY HOLY NAME SCHOOL (Students: 274; Location: 91 SUMMER; Grades: PK - 8)
- ST JAMES-ST JOHN ELEM SCH (Students: 268; Location: 180 ORCHARD STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
- ST MARYS SCHOOL (Students: 233; Location: 115 ILLINOIS ST; Grades: PK - 8)
- OUR LADY OF MT CARMEL SCHOOL (Students: 144; Location: 103 CRAPO STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
- LITTLE PEOPLE'S COLLEGE (Students: 123; Location: 850 CHURCH STREET; Grades: PK - KG)
- KENNEDY DONOVAN CENTER SCHOOL (Students: 54; Location: 19 HAWTHORNE ST; Grades: UG - UG)
- WEST END DAY KINDER - AFTERSCH (Students: 24; Location: 308 COTTAGE ST; Grades: KG - KG)
- EARLY LEARNING CHILD CARE (Students: 23; Location: 322 MAXFIELD STREET; Grades: KG - KG)
- UNITED FRONT CHILD DEV PROGRAM (Students: 20; Location: 285 ASH STREET; Grades: KG - KG)
Library in New Bedford:
- NEW BEDFORD FREE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $2,191,034; Location: 613 PLEASANT STREET; 321,490 books; 9,961 audio materials; 5,907 video materials; 1,031 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in New Bedford: Massachusetts State Pier (A), New Bedford Community Center (B), New Bedford East Barrier Light (C), New Bedford West Barrier Light (D), North Hill Plaza (E), Stop and Shop Center (F), Bedford Industrial Park (G), Doane Memorial Field (H), House of Corrections (I), New Bedford City Hall (J), Whaling Museum (K), Seamens Bethel Museum (L).
Churches in New Bedford include: Calvary Church (A), Clifford Chapel (B), Saint Theresas Church (C), Saint James Church (D), Sacred Heart Church (E).
Cemeteries: Polish National Cemetery (1), Peckham West Cemetery (2), Oak Grove Cemetery (3), Rural Cemetery (4), Reynolds Cemetery (5), Sacred Heart Cemetery (6).
Lakes, reservoirs, and swamps: Sassaquin Pond (A), Turner Pond (B), Acushnet Cedar Swamp (C), Hobomock Swamp (D).
River: Acushnet River (A).
Parks in New Bedford include: Hazelwood Park (1), Ashley Park (2), Central New Bedford Historic District (3), Buttonwood Park (4), Brooklawn Park (5).
New Bedford compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in New Bedford:
- WBSM (1420 AM; 5 kW; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WNBH (1340 AM; 1 kW; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: HALL COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WSAR (1480 AM; 5 kW; FALL RIVER, MA; Owner: BRISTOL COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WAMG (890 AM; 25 kW; DEDHAM, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF DEDHAM LICENSEE, LLC)
- WPRO (630 AM; 5 kW; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in New Bedford:
- WFHN (107.1 FM; FAIRHAVEN, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WCTK (98.1 FM; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: HALL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJFD-FM (97.3 FM; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: EDMUND DINIS, TRUSTEE)
- WSMU-FM (91.1 FM; NORTH DARTMOUTH, MA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS)
- WFHL (88.1 FM; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: NEW BEDFORD CHRISTIAN RADIO, INC.)
- WWBB (101.5 FM; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WKKB (100.3 FM; MIDDLETOWN, RI; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WSNE-FM (93.3 FM; TAUNTON, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WCIB (101.9 FM; FALMOUTH, MA; Owner: QANTUM OF CAPE COD LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WXKS-FM (107.9 FM; MEDFORD, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WBOT (97.7 FM; BROCKTON, MA; Owner: RADIO ONE LICENSES, LLC)
- WPLM-FM (99.1 FM; PLYMOUTH, MA; Owner: PLYMOUTH ROCK BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WTWV (101.1 FM; MASHPEE, MA; Owner: BOCH BROADCASTING, L.P.)
- WCAI (90.1 FM; WOODS HOLE, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
TV broadcast stations around New Bedford:
- WLWC (Channel 28; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: C-28 FCC LICENSEE SUBSIDIARY, LLC)
- WLNE-TV (Channel 6; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: FREEDOM BROADCASTING OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND, INC.)
- WWDP (Channel 46; NORWELL, MA; Owner: NORWELL TELEVISION, LLC)
- WPRI-TV (Channel 12; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: TVL BROADCASTING OF RHODE ISLAND, LLC)
- WNAC-TV (Channel 64; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: WNAC, LLC)
- WJAR (Channel 10; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: OUTLET BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCVB-TV (Channel 5; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WCVB HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC.)
- WSBE-TV (Channel 36; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: RHODE ISLAND PUBLIC TELECOM. AUTHORITY)
- WMFP (Channel 62; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: WSAH LICENSE, INC.)
- WSBK-TV (Channel 38; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WLVI-TV (Channel 56; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: WLVI, INC.)
- WBZ-TV (Channel 4; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WGBX-TV (Channel 44; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.