Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 83,829. Estimated population in July 2005: 83,158 (-0.8% change)
Males: 38,951 (46.5%), Females: 44,878 (53.5%)
Zip codes: .
Median resident age: 38.7 years
Median household income: $86,052 (year 2000)
Median house value: $438,400 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Newton:
- White Non-Hispanic (86.4%)
- Chinese (4.8%)
- Hispanic (2.5%)
- Black (2.0%)
- Two or more races (1.5%)
- Asian Indian (0.9%)
- Other race (0.7%)
- Korean (0.6%)
Ancestries: Irish (16.7%), Italian (12.2%), Russian (9.6%), English (8.9%), German (7.5%), United States (4.8%).
New! Massachusetts forum
Elevation: 100 feet
Land area: 18.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Newton
- High school or higher: 94.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 68.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 38.9%
- Unemployed: 2.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 26.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Newton city
- Never married: 31.7%
- Now married: 55.3%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 6.2%
- Divorced: 6.0%
18.0% Foreign born (8.3% Europe, 6.3% Asia, 1.9% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,252 (+1.5%).
Hotels - rates, book online and save at Newton Massachusetts Hotels. />
Real Estate - A Complete List of Homes. Free Search for Homes in Kansas. />
Real Estate For Sale - Property For Sale Nation Wide Realty Access MLS (Official Site) />
Hotels - Massachusetts Hotel Site Book Online Or Call Toll Free />
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (8.4 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (217.7 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: MA (3.0 miles Watertown, MA Waltham, (3.4 miles MA Needham, (3.9 miles MA (4.4 miles Belmont, MA Brookline, (5.3 miles .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 32 buildings, average cost: $206,100
- 1997: 48 buildings, average cost: $194,000
- 1998: 40 buildings, average cost: $169,600
- 1999: 62 buildings, average cost: $232,900
- 2000: 52 buildings, average cost: $223,900
- 2001: 51 buildings, average cost: $272,900
- 2002: 82 buildings, average cost: $326,200
- 2003: 81 buildings, average cost: $315,700
- 2004: 81 buildings, average cost: $388,800
- 2005: 79 buildings, average cost: $378,400
Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 71.21 W
Area codes: 617, 857
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (32.0%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (20.0%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +1,549 (+1.8%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 11,925 (27.0%)
Crime in Newton by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||1 ||0 ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||1.2 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||6 ||5 ||11 ||5 ||3 |
| per 100,000 ||7.2 ||6.0 ||13.1 ||6.0 ||3.6 |
|Robberies ||9 ||16 ||21 ||23 ||5 |
| per 100,000 ||10.7 ||19.1 ||25.1 ||27.4 ||6.0 |
|Assaults ||57 ||41 ||44 ||71 ||42 |
| per 100,000 ||68.0 ||48.9 ||52.5 ||84.7 ||50.1 |
|Burglaries ||247 ||178 ||155 ||145 ||147 |
| per 100,000 ||294.6 ||212.3 ||184.9 ||173.0 ||175.4 |
|Thefts ||1,015 ||791 ||830 ||739 ||677 |
| per 100,000 ||1210.8 ||943.6 ||990.1 ||881.6 ||807.6 |
|Auto thefts ||56 ||59 ||50 ||32 ||32 |
| per 100,000 ||66.8 ||70.4 ||59.6 ||38.2 ||38.2 |
| ||95.3 ||76.1 ||80.6 ||78.0 ||60.9 |
Average climate in Newton, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Newton-area historical tornado activity is near Massachusetts state average. It is 32% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1953, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 21.5 miles away from the Newton city center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 9/29/1974, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 18.2 miles away from the city center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Jack Lemmon - (1925-2001), actor, Mark Foley, Roger Sherman - (1721-1793), signer of the Declaration of Independence, Anne Sexton - (1928-1974), poet, Matt Stehle - College basketball player (Harvard Crimson), Robert Morse - (born 1931), actor.
Main business address for: ASPECT MEDICAL SYSTEMS INC (ELECTROMEDICAL & ELECTROTHERAPEUTIC APPARATUS), PRO PHARMACEUTICALS INC (PHARMACEUTICAL PREPARATIONS), FIVE STAR QUALITY CARE INC (SERVICES-SKILLED NURSING CARE FACILITIES), MFIC CORP (LABORATORY APPARATUS & FURNITURE), MATRITECH INC/DE/ (IN VITRO & IN VIVO DIAGNOSTIC SUBSTANCES).
Hospital/medical center in Newton:
- NEWTON-WELLESLEY HOSPITAL (2014 WASHINGTON ST)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Newton:
- CHESTNUT HILL BENEVOLENT ASSOCIATION (about 3 miles; BOSTON COLLEGE, MA)
- DEACONESS-WALTHAM HOSPITAL (about 4 miles; WALTHAM, MA)
- DEACONESS-GLOVER HOSPITAL CORP (about 4 miles; NEEDHAM, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Newton:
- LAURENCE G HANSCOM FLD (about 11 miles; BEDFORD, MA; ID: BED)
- GENERAL EDWARD LAWRENCE LOGAN INTL (about 15 miles; BOSTON, MA; ID: BOS)
- MANCHESTER (about 44 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; ID: MHT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Newton:
- NORWOOD MEMORIAL (about 12 miles; NORWOOD, MA; ID: OWD)
- NORFOLK (about 19 miles; NORFOLK, MA; ID: 32M)
- MARLBORO (about 21 miles; MARLBORO, MA; ID: 9B1)
Amtrak stations near Newton:
- 10 miles: BACK BAY (BOSTON, 145 DARTMOUTH ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 10 miles: ROUTE 128 (WESTWOOD, UNIVERSITY AVE. & RTE. 128). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, paid short-term parking, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 11 miles: BOSTON, NORTH STATION (BOSTON, 126 CAUSEWAY ST.). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area.
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total ||346 ||$883,022 ||$30,625 ||148 ||$109,502 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction ||1400 ||$6,124,278 ||$52,493 ||443 ||$870,760 | College/University in Newton:
- LASELL COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 802; Location: 1844 COMMONWEALTH AVE; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.lasell.edu)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Newton:
- BOSTON COLLEGE (about 3 miles; CHESTNUT HILL, MA; Full-time enrollment: 13,341)
- BENTLEY COLLEGE (about 4 miles; WALTHAM, MA; FT enrollment: 4,651)
- WELLESLEY COLLEGE (about 5 miles; WELLESLEY, MA; FT enrollment: 2,241)
- MASSACHUSETTS BAY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 5 miles; WELLESLEY HILLS, MA; FT enrollment: 2,938)
- HARVARD UNIVERSITY (about 7 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; FT enrollment: 20,531)
- LESLEY UNIVERSITY (about 7 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; FT enrollment: 3,700)
- BOSTON UNIVERSITY (about 8 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 25,110)
Private high schools in Newton:
- NEWTON COUNTRY DAY SCHOOL (Students: 269; Location: 785 CENTRE STREET; Grades: 5 - 12; Girls only)
- TRINITY CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 240; Location: 575 WASHINGTON ST; Grades: 9 - 12)
- MT ALVERNIA HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 231; Location: 790 CENTRE STREET; Grades: 7 - 12; Girls only)
Public primary/middle schools in Newton:
- OAK HILL MIDDLE (Students: 598; Location: 130 WHEELER RD; Grades: 06 - 08)
- BIGELOW MIDDLE (Students: 519; Location: 42 VERNON STREET; Grades: 06 - 08)
- UNDERWOOD (Students: 276; Location: 101 VERNON STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
- LINCOLN-ELIOT (Students: 242; Location: 191 PEARL STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Newton:
- WALNUT PARK MONTESSORI (Students: 137; Location: 47 WALNUT PARK; Grades: PK - KG)
- GOLDEN DAYS CHILDREN' CENTER (Students: 56; Location: 66 NEEDHAM ST; Grades: PK - KG)
- CLARKE SCHOOL EAST (Students: 10; Location: 1844 COMMONWEALTH AVE; Grades: PK - KG)
Notable locations in Newton: Lincoln Playground (A), Longwood Cricket Club (B), Newton Commonwealth Country Club (C), Oak Hill Playground (D), Putterham Meadows Country Club (E), Richardson Field (F), Sidney Hill Country Club (G), Victory Field (H), Waban Playground (I), Wells Avenue Office Park (J), Woodland County Club (K), Boston Edison Power Station (L), Brae Burn Country Club (M), Burr Playground (N), Charles River Country Club (O), Chestnut Hill Plaza (P), Chestnut Hill Station (Q), Cold Spring Playground (R), Crescent Hill Country Club (S), Harthorn Playground (T).
Shopping Centers: 200 Boylston Street Shopping Center (1), Auburndale Shopping Center (2), The Mall at Chestnut Hill (3), The Mall at Chestnut Hill Shopping Center (4), Boylston Street Shopping Center (5), Chestnut Hill Shopping Center (6).
Churches in Newton include: United Parish of Auburndale Church (A), United Methodist Church (B), Union Church on Waban (C), Central Congregational Church (D), Trinity Church of Newton Center (E), Trinity Chapel (F), Church of the Good Shepherd (G), Church of the Messiah (H).
Cemeteries: Common Street Cemetery (1), East Parish Burying Ground (2), Boston Catholic Cemetery (3), Newton Cemetery (4).
Lakes, reservoirs, and swamps: Crystal Lake (A), Hammond Pond (B), Silver Lake (C), Strongs Pond (D), Bulloughs Pond (E), Charles River Reservoir (F), Newton Reservoir (G), Waban Hill Reservoir (H).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Cheese Cake Brook (A).
Parks in Newton include: Kenrick Park (1), Morton Road Historic District (2), Lowell Avenue Playground (3), Union Street Historic District (4), Old Chestnut Hill Historic District (5), Pine Ridge Road-Plainfield Street Historic District (6), Our Lady Help of Christians Historic District (7), Allison Park (8), Alumni Stadium (9).
Beach: Harvey Beach (A).
Post offices: Newton Highlands Post Office (A), Chestnut Hill Post Office (B), Newton Post Office (C), Newtonville Post Office (D), Nonantum Post Office (E).
Newton compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median household income above state average.
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Newton:
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WRCA (1330 AM; 25 kW; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: WRCA LICENSE, LLC)
- WNTN (1550 AM; 10 kW; NEWTON, MA; Owner: COLT COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WUNR (1600 AM; 20 kW; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: CHAMPION BROADCASTING SYSTEMS, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBPS (1150 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF BOSTON LICENSEE, L.L.C.)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WAMG (890 AM; 25 kW; DEDHAM, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF DEDHAM LICENSEE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WEZE (590 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: NEW ENGLAND CONTINENTAL MEDIA, INC.)
- WILD (1090 AM; daytime; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: RADIO ONE OF BOSTON LICENSES, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Newton:
- WBMX (98.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WJMN (94.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCRB (102.5 FM; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: CHARLES RIVER BROADCASTING WCRB LICE)
- WTKK (96.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WROR-FM (105.7 FM; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBOS (92.9 FM; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBUR-FM (90.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF BOSTON UNIVERSITY)
- WODS (103.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGBH (89.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WZBC (90.3 FM; NEWTON, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF BOSTON COLLEGE)
- WXKS-FM (107.9 FM; MEDFORD, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WMJX (106.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBCN (104.1 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: HEMISPHERE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WZLX (100.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF BOSTON)
- WERS (88.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: EMERSON COLLEGE)
- W267AI (101.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: MCC BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WHRB (95.3 FM; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: HARVARD RADIO BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WBRS (100.1 FM; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: BRANDEIS UNIVERSITY)
- WFNX (101.7 FM; LYNN, MA; Owner: MCC BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WMBR (88.1 FM; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: TECHNOLOGY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
TV broadcast stations around Newton:
- WHDH-TV (Channel 7; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WHDH-TV)
- WCVB-TV (Channel 5; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WCVB HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC.)
- WMFP (Channel 62; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: WSAH LICENSE, INC.)
- WGBH-TV (Channel 2; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WSBK-TV (Channel 38; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WLVI-TV (Channel 56; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: WLVI, INC.)
- WFXT (Channel 25; BOSTON, MA; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS INC.)
- WBZ-TV (Channel 4; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WGBX-TV (Channel 44; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- W40BO (Channel 40; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WBPX (Channel 68; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON BOSTON-68 LICENSE, INC.)
- WTMU-LP (Channel 32; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ZGS BOSTON, INC.)
- WCEA-LP (Channel 58; BOSTON, MA; Owner: CHANNEL 19 TV CORPORATION)
- WUTF (Channel 66; MARLBOROUGH, MA; Owner: TELEFUTURA BOSTON LLC)
- WWDP (Channel 46; NORWELL, MA; Owner: NORWELL TELEVISION, LLC)
- WUNI (Channel 27; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WFXZ-CA (Channel 24; BOSTON, MA; Owner: BOSTON BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WLNE-TV (Channel 6; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: FREEDOM BROADCASTING OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND, INC.)
- WPRI-TV (Channel 12; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: TVL BROADCASTING OF RHODE ISLAND, LLC)
- WNAC-TV (Channel 64; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: WNAC, LLC)
- WJAR (Channel 10; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: OUTLET BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSBE-TV (Channel 36; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: RHODE ISLAND PUBLIC TELECOM. AUTHORITY)
- WNDS (Channel 50; DERRY, NH; Owner: CTV OF DERRY, INC)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.