Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 28,978. Estimated population in July 2005: 28,715 (-0.9% change)
Males: 12,480 (43.1%), Females: 16,498 (56.9%)
Zip codes: .
Median resident age: 37.3 years
Median household income: $41,808 (year 2000)
Median house value: $144,600 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Northampton:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (87.8%)
- Hispanic (5.2%)
- Other race (2.4%)
- Black (2.1%)
- Two or more races (2.0%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
- Asian Indian (0.8%)
- Chinese (0.7%)
- Other Asian (0.6%)
- Korean (0.5%)
Ancestries: Irish (21.0%), English (13.9%), Polish (12.2%), German (10.3%), French (9.7%), Italian (7.8%).
New! Massachusetts forum
Elevation: 140 feet
Land area: 34.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Northampton
- High school or higher: 88.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 46.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 25.0%
- Unemployed: 4.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 20.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Northampton city
- Never married: 42.2%
- Now married: 39.1%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 7.2%
- Divorced: 10.0%
6.5% Foreign born (2.5% Asia, 2.2% Europe, 0.9% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -343 (-1.2%).
- accommodation & info on all what to see and where to stay. />
Property - real estate listings on NYTimes.com />
Hotels - Up To 70% On Hotel Rates! Hotels For Less Everyday. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: MA (11.9 miles Chicopee, pop. 54,653).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (107.8 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (141.8 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: MA Easthampton, (4.4 miles MA (4.6 miles Hatfield, MA (4.8 miles Hadley, MA (6.8 miles Williamsburg, Hadley, MA South (7.4 miles MA Whately, (7.9 miles MA (8.2 miles Westhampton,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 53 buildings, average cost: $153,600
- 1997: 45 buildings, average cost: $137,200
- 1998: 33 buildings, average cost: $169,800
- 1999: 64 buildings, average cost: $158,200
- 2000: 24 buildings, average cost: $196,400
- 2001: 16 buildings, average cost: $235,300
- 2002: 25 buildings, average cost: $161,700
- 2003: 47 buildings, average cost: $217,700
- 2004: 47 buildings, average cost: $229,600
- 2005: 8 buildings, average cost: $81,500
Latitude: 42.33 N, Longitude: 72.66 W
Area code: 413
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (42.6%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +4,029 (+13.9%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 8,270 (51.7%)
Crime in Northampton by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||1 ||0 ||0 ||0 ||1 |
| per 100,000 ||3.5 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||3.5 |
|Rapes ||16 ||13 ||6 ||9 ||8 |
| per 100,000 ||55.2 ||44.9 ||20.7 ||31.1 ||27.6 |
|Robberies ||9 ||10 ||12 ||14 ||18 |
| per 100,000 ||31.1 ||34.5 ||41.4 ||48.3 ||62.1 |
|Assaults ||73 ||24 ||19 ||45 ||65 |
| per 100,000 ||251.9 ||82.8 ||65.6 ||155.3 ||224.3 |
|Burglaries ||73 ||79 ||83 ||193 ||135 |
| per 100,000 ||251.9 ||272.6 ||286.4 ||666.0 ||465.9 |
|Thefts ||456 ||459 ||552 ||790 ||659 |
| per 100,000 ||1573.6 ||1584.0 ||1904.9 ||2726.2 ||2274.1 |
|Auto thefts ||52 ||27 ||40 ||87 ||67 |
| per 100,000 ||179.4 ||93.2 ||138.0 ||300.2 ||231.2 |
| ||180.2 ||134.8 ||141.1 ||237.7 ||220.1 |
Average climate in Northampton, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Northampton-area historical tornado activity is above Massachusetts state average. It is 8% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/3/1979, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 19.4 miles away from the Northampton city center killed 3 people and injured 500 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 9/13/1971, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 0.9 miles away from the city center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Tim Petrovic - PGA Tour Golf player (born: 8/16/66), Samuel Adams (naval officer), William Dwight Whitney - (1827-1894), grammarian and lexicographer (The Century Dictionary).
Hospital/medical center in Northampton:
- COOLEY DICKINSON HOSPITAL INC,THE (30 LOCUST ST)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Northampton:
- HOLYOKE HOSPITAL INC (about 9 miles; HOLYOKE, MA)
- SOLDIERS HOME OF HOLYOKE (about 9 miles; HOLYOKE, MA)
- UNIVERSITY HEALTH SERVICES (about 12 miles; AMHERST, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Northampton:
- BARNES MUNI (about 13 miles; WESTFIELD/SPRINGFIELD, MA; ID: BAF)
- WESTOVER ARB/METROPOLITAN (about 14 miles; SPRINGFIELD/CHICOPEE, MA; ID: CEF)
- BRADLEY INTL (about 28 miles; WINDSOR LOCKS, CT; ID: BDL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Northampton:
- NORTHAMPTON (about 5 miles; NORTHAMPTON, MA; ID: 7B2)
- TURNERS FALLS (about 21 miles; MONTAGUE, MA; ID: 0B5)
- METROPOLITAN (about 26 miles; PALMER, MA; ID: PMX)
Amtrak stations near Northampton:
- 11 miles: AMHERST (RAILROAD ST.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public payphones, free short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 16 miles: SPRINGFIELD (66 LYMAN ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, snack bar, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total ||76 ||$266,502 ||$42,079 ||38 ||$52,066 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction ||339 ||$1,363,437 ||$48,263 ||198 ||$162,954 | College/University in Northampton:
- SMITH COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 3,053; Location: ELM ST; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.smith.edu; Offers Doctor's degree)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Northampton:
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS-AMHERST (about 4 miles; AMHERST, MA; Full-time enrollment: 21,468)
- MOUNT HOLYOKE COLLEGE (about 9 miles; SOUTH HADLEY, MA; FT enrollment: 2,029)
- HOLYOKE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 9 miles; HOLYOKE, MA; FT enrollment: 3,747)
- SPRINGFIELD COLLEGE (about 17 miles; SPRINGFIELD, MA; FT enrollment: 4,176)
- SPRINGFIELD TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 17 miles; SPRINGFIELD, MA; FT enrollment: 4,026)
- WESTFIELD STATE COLLEGE (about 17 miles; WESTFIELD, MA; FT enrollment: 4,058)
- WESTERN NEW ENGLAND COLLEGE (about 18 miles; SPRINGFIELD, MA; FT enrollment: 3,285)
Public high schools in Northampton:
- NORTHAMPTON HIGH (Students: 930; Location: 380 ELM STREET; Grades: 09 - 12)
- SMITH VOC AND AGR HIGH (Students: 444; Location: 80 LOCUST STREET; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Northampton:
- JACKSON STREET (Students: 377; Location: JACKSON STREET; Grades: PK - 05)
- BRIDGE STREET (Students: 314; Location: 2 PARSONS STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Northampton:
- SMITH COLLEGE CAMPUS SCHOOL (Students: 333; Location: SMITH COLLEGE; Grades: PK - 6)
- VALLEY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 116; Location: 58 POMEROY TERRACE; Grades: PK - 11)
- MONTESSORI SCHOOL OF NORTHAMPT (Students: 103; Location: 51 BATES STREET; Grades: PK - 6)
- CLARKE SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF (Students: 66; Location: 47 ROUND HILL RD; Grades: UG - UG)
- NONOTUCK COMM CHILD CARE (Students: 44; Location: 48 ELM ST; Grades: PK - KG)
Library in Northampton:
- FORBES LIBRARY (Operating income: $1,076,391; Location: 20 WEST ST.; 228,722 books; 10,386 audio materials; 2,057 video materials; 479 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Northampton: Northampton Country Club (A), Northampton Industrial Park (B), Pine Grove Golf Course (C), Sheldon Field (D), Florence Plaza (E), Hampshire County Fairgrounds (F), Smith College Admissions Office (G), Historic Northampton Archives and Library (H), Hilyer Hall (I), Ainsworth Gymnasium (J), Northampton Center for the Arts (K), Northampton Chamber of Commerce (L), Sunnyside Day Care (M), Northampton City Hall (N), Northampton Historical Society Building (O), College Hall (P), Stoddard Hall (Q), Lily Hall (R), Alumnae Gymnasium (S), Alumnae House (T).
Shopping Centers: Kingsgate Mall (1), Kingsgate Plaza Shopping Center (2), Northampton Place Shopping Center (3), Potpourri Shopping Center (4), Thornes Market Place Shopping Center (5), Florence Plaza Shopping Center (6), Hamp Plaza Shopping Center (7).
Churches in Northampton include: College Church (A), Cornerstone Chapel (B), Seventh Day Adventist Church (C), Saint Johns Episcopal Church (D), First Church United Church of Christ (E), First Church of Christ Scientist (F), Florence Congregational Church (G), Helen Hills Chapel (H).
Cemeteries: Peter and Paul Russian Orthodox Cemetery (1), Park Street Cemetery (2), Bridge Street Cemetery (3), Spring Grove Cemetery (4), Saint Marys Cemetery (5), West Farms Cemetery (6), Hebrew Cemetery (7).
Lakes, reservoirs, and swamps: Florence Pond (A), Hulberts Pond (B), Oxbow, The (C), Clear Falls Pond (D), Roberts Meadow Reservoir (E), Mill River Reservoir (F), Mill River Diversion Reservoir (G), Paradise Pond (H).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Parsons Brook (A), Marble Brook (B), Turkey Brook (C), Clark Brook (D), Mill River (E), Beaver Brook (F), Day Brook (G), Roberts Meadow Brook (H).
Parks in Northampton include: Look Memorial Park (1), Kearney Field (2), Japanese Garden and Tea Hut (3), Northampton Downtown Historic District (4), Arcadia Sanctuary (5), Fort Hill Historic District (6), Maines Field (7), Elwell State Park (8), Childs Park (9).
Post offices: Leeds Post Office (A), Northampton Post Office (B), Florence Post Office (C).
Northampton compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median house value above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Northampton:
- WHMP (1400 AM; 1 kW; NORTHAMPTON, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHYN (560 AM; 5 kW; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WACE (730 AM; 5 kW; CHICOPEE, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WPNI (1430 AM; 5 kW; AMHERST, MA; Owner: WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS RADIO COMPANY)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WIZZ (1520 AM; daytime; 10 kW; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: P. & M. RADIO, LLC)
- WSPR (1270 AM; 5 kW; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: ANTONIO F. AND HELENA R. GOIS, TENANTS BY THE ENTIRETY)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Northampton:
- WHYN-FM (93.1 FM; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRNX (100.9 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS RADIO COMPANY)
- WLZX (99.3 FM; NORTHAMPTON, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WEIB (106.3 FM; NORTHAMPTON, MA; Owner: CUTTING EDGE BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WFCR (88.5 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS)
- WOZQ (91.9 FM; NORTHAMPTON, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF THE SMITH COLLEGE)
- W246AM (97.1 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WAQY (102.1 FM; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WAMH (89.3 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF AMHERST COLLEGE)
- WCCH (103.5 FM; HOLYOKE, MA; Owner: HOLYOKE COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
- WAMC-FM (90.3 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WPKX (97.9 FM; ENFIELD, CT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WPVQ (95.3 FM; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WHAI (98.3 FM; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WRSI (93.9 FM; TURNERS FALLS, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WVAY (100.7 FM; WILMINGTON, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WGAJ (91.7 FM; DEERFIELD, MA; Owner: TRUATEES OF DEERFIELD ACADEMY)
- WRCH (100.5 FM; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Northampton:
- WGGB-TV (Channel 40; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: WGGB LICENSEE, LLC)
- WGBY-TV (Channel 57; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- W67DF (Channel 67; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WYDN (Channel 48; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: EDUCATIONAL PUBLIC TV CORPORATION)
- WWLP (Channel 22; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: WWLP BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WTIC-TV (Channel 61; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: TRIBUNE TELEVISION COMPANY)
- W11BJ (Channel 11; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: COMMUNICATIONS SITE MANAGEMENT LLC)
- WUVN (Channel 18; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WTXX (Channel 20; WATERBURY, CT; Owner: WTXX INC.)
- WVIT (Channel 30; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Owner: OUTLET BROADCASTING, INC)
- WEDH (Channel 24; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WDMR-LP (Channel 65; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: ZGS HARTFORD, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.