Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 28,587. Estimated population in July 2005: 28,478 (-0.4% change)
Males: 13,517 (47.3%), Females: 15,070 (52.7%)
Median resident age: 38.6 years
Median household income: $58,421 (year 2000)
Median house value: $219,800 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Norwood:
- White Non-Hispanic (89.6%)
- Asian Indian (3.2%)
- Black (2.3%)
- Hispanic (1.7%)
- Two or more races (1.2%)
- Chinese (0.8%)
- Other race (0.8%)
Ancestries: Irish (37.4%), Italian (17.2%), English (9.0%), German (6.2%), United States (4.8%), Arab (3.7%).
New! Massachusetts forum
Elevation: 146 feet
Land area: 10.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Norwood
- High school or higher: 91.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 39.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 14.5%
- Unemployed: 2.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Norwood town
- Never married: 29.3%
- Now married: 53.2%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 8.5%
- Divorced: 7.6%
11.8% Foreign born (4.9% Asia, 4.6% Europe).
Property - real estate listings on NYTimes.com />
with Rent.com - Omaha NE apartments Report your lease and get $100. />
Melbourne Apartments - City Selection! Short or Long Term, Furnished or Unfurnished. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: MA Newton, (10.5 miles pop. 83,829).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (12.2 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (212.9 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: MA (0.0 miles Norwood, MA (2.5 miles Westwood, MA (4.3 miles Canton, MA Walpole, (4.4 miles MA (4.8 miles Dedham, MA (5.0 miles Sharon,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 10 buildings, average cost: $127,800
- 1997: 27 buildings, average cost: $109,600
- 1998: 36 buildings, average cost: $124,500
- 1999: 19 buildings, average cost: $110,000
- 2000: 14 buildings, average cost: $169,500
- 2001: 14 buildings, average cost: $113,900
- 2002: 23 buildings, average cost: $122,000
- 2003: 21 buildings, average cost: $166,500
- 2004: 33 buildings, average cost: $205,200
- 2005: 33 buildings, average cost: $212,400
Latitude: 42.19 N, Longitude: 71.20 W
Area codes: 781, 339
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (23.5%), Retail trade (12.6%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (12.2%), Finance,insurance,real estate,and rental and leasing (11.5%).
Crime in Norwood by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||1 ||0 ||1 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||3.5 ||0.0 ||3.5 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||1 ||2 ||4 ||3 ||3 |
| per 100,000 ||3.5 ||7.0 ||14.0 ||10.5 ||10.5 |
|Robberies ||4 ||7 ||8 ||11 ||8 |
| per 100,000 ||14.0 ||24.5 ||28.0 ||38.5 ||28.0 |
|Assaults ||21 ||11 ||12 ||38 ||N/A |
| per 100,000 ||73.5 ||38.5 ||42.0 ||132.9 ||N/A |
|Burglaries ||45 ||53 ||56 ||60 ||74 |
| per 100,000 ||157.4 ||185.4 ||195.9 ||209.9 ||258.9 |
|Thefts ||464 ||357 ||372 ||313 ||385 |
| per 100,000 ||1623.1 ||1248.8 ||1301.3 ||1094.9 ||1346.8 |
|Auto thefts ||68 ||47 ||60 ||75 ||48 |
| per 100,000 ||237.9 ||164.4 ||209.9 ||262.4 ||167.9 |
| ||118.8 ||93.9 ||108.4 ||121.8 ||N/A |
Average climate in Norwood, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Norwood-area historical tornado activity is near Massachusetts state average. It is 37% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1953, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 23.3 miles away from the Norwood city center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 6/9/1953, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 9.4 miles away from the city center injured 17 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Alfred Fincher - 2005 NFL player (New Orleans Saints, born: Aug 15, 1983).
Main business address for: APOGEE TECHNOLOGY INC (SEMICONDUCTORS & RELATED DEVICES), ANALOG DEVICES INC (SEMICONDUCTORS & RELATED DEVICES), ELCOM INTERNATIONAL INC (SERVICES-COMPUTER PROGRAMMING SERVICES).
Hospital/medical center in Norwood:
- CARITAS NORWOOD HOSPITAL, INC (800 WASHINGTON STREET)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Norwood:
- WESTWOOD PEMBROKE HEALTH SYSTEMS (about 2 miles; WESTWOOD, MA)
- MASSACHUSETTS HOSPITAL SCHOOL (about 5 miles; CANTON, MA)
- MEDFIELD STATE HOSPITAL (about 8 miles; MEDFIELD, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Norwood:
- GENERAL EDWARD LAWRENCE LOGAN INTL (about 18 miles; BOSTON, MA; ID: BOS)
- LAURENCE G HANSCOM FLD (about 21 miles; BEDFORD, MA; ID: BED)
- THEODORE FRANCIS GREEN STATE (about 36 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; ID: PVD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Norwood:
- NORWOOD MEMORIAL (about 3 miles; NORWOOD, MA; ID: OWD)
- NORFOLK (about 13 miles; NORFOLK, MA; ID: 32M)
- MANSFIELD MUNI (about 13 miles; MANSFIELD, MA; ID: 1B9)
Amtrak stations near Norwood:
- 4 miles: ROUTE 128 (WESTWOOD, UNIVERSITY AVE. & RTE. 128). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, paid short-term parking, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 15 miles: BACK BAY (BOSTON, 145 DARTMOUTH ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 16 miles: BOSTON (SO. STA) (BOSTON, ATLANTIC AVE. & SUMMER ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities and snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges/Universities in Norwood:
- ITT TECHNICAL INSTITUTE (Full-time enrollment: 193; Location: 333 Providence Highway,; Private, for-profit; Website: WWW.ITT-TECH.EDU)
- MARTIN ELECTRICAL AND TECHNICAL SCHOOL (Location: 150 KERRY PL; Private, for-profit)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Norwood:
- BABSON COLLEGE (about 8 miles; WELLESLEY, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,659)
- BOSTON COLLEGE (about 10 miles; CHESTNUT HILL, MA; FT enrollment: 13,341)
- WELLESLEY COLLEGE (about 11 miles; WELLESLEY, MA; FT enrollment: 2,241)
- MASSACHUSETTS BAY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 11 miles; WELLESLEY HILLS, MA; FT enrollment: 2,938)
- STONEHILL COLLEGE (about 12 miles; EASTON, MA; FT enrollment: 2,374)
- BOSTON UNIVERSITY (about 14 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 25,110)
- BERKLEE COLLEGE OF MUSIC (about 14 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 3,122)
Public high school in Norwood:
- NORWOOD HIGH (Students: 1,102; Location: 245 NICHOLS STREET; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Norwood:
- NORWOOD JR HIGH SOUTH (Students: 916; Location: 1315 WASHINGTON STREET; Grades: 06 - 08)
- F A CLEVELAND (Students: 391; Location: 33 GEORGE WILLETT PK; Grades: KG - 05)
- BALCH (Students: 324; Location: 1168 WASHINGTON STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
- JOHN P OLDHAM (Students: 322; Location: 165 PROSPECT STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
- CHARLES J PRESCOTT (Students: 280; Location: 66 RICHLAND ROAD; Grades: KG - 05)
- CORNELIUS M CALLAHAN (Students: 242; Location: 90 GARFIELD AVENUE; Grades: KG - 05)
- GEORGE F. WILLETT (Students: 150; Location: 100 WESTOVER PARKWAY; Grades: PK - KG)
Private primary/middle schools in Norwood:
- ST CATHERINE OF SIENA ELEM SCH (Students: 620; Location: 249 NAHATAN STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
- LIVING WATERS CHRISTIAN ACAD (Students: 36; Location: 668 WALPOLE ST; Grades: PK - 3)
- WE LOVE PRESCHOOL LRNG CENTER (Students: 32; Location: 100 BUCKMINISTER DRIVE; Grades: PK - KG)
- AMEGO (Students: 12; Location: 1400 PROV HWY/BLDG 3; Grades: UG - UG)
Library in Norwood:
- MORRILL MEMORIAL LIBRARY (Operating income: $1,234,331; Location: 33 WALPOLE ST.; 77,671 books; 2,806 audio materials; 2,433 video materials; 214 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Norwood: Norwood Industrial Park (A), Norwood Plaza (B), Park Place Industrial Park (C), Norwood Townhall (D), Morrill Memorial Library (E), Youngdahl Memorial Library (F).
Shopping Centers: Nahatan Street Shopping Center (1), Norwood Plaza Shopping Center (2), Dean Street Shopping Center (3).
Churches in Norwood include: United Church of Norwood (A), Trinity Community Church (B), Emmanuel Lutheran Church (C), Saint George Orthodox Church (D), First Baptist Church (E), First Congregational Church (F), Grace Episcopal Church (G).
Cemeteries: Highland Cemetery (1), Old Parish Cemetery (2).
Reservoir: Ellis Pond (A).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Germany Brook (A), Traphole Brook (B), Hawes Brook (C), Bubbling Brook (D), Puffers Brook (E), Plantingfield Brook (F).
Parks in Norwood include: Eliot Park (1), Shattuck Park (2), Endean Playground (3), Ellis Gardens Playground (4), Pleasant Park (5), Wilson Street Playground (6), McAleer Playground (7), Legion Park (8).
Post office: (A).
Norwood compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Norwood:
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WUNR (1600 AM; 20 kW; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: CHAMPION BROADCASTING SYSTEMS, INC.)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRCA (1330 AM; 25 kW; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: WRCA LICENSE, LLC)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WAMG (890 AM; 25 kW; DEDHAM, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF DEDHAM LICENSEE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WNTN (1550 AM; 10 kW; NEWTON, MA; Owner: COLT COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WEZE (590 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: NEW ENGLAND CONTINENTAL MEDIA, INC.)
- WMKI (1260 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ABC, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Norwood:
- WBOS (92.9 FM; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBMX (98.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WJMN (94.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCRB (102.5 FM; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: CHARLES RIVER BROADCASTING WCRB LICE)
- WTKK (96.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WROR-FM (105.7 FM; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBUR-FM (90.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF BOSTON UNIVERSITY)
- WGBH (89.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WODS (103.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WXKS-FM (107.9 FM; MEDFORD, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WMJX (106.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBCN (104.1 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: HEMISPHERE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WZLX (100.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF BOSTON)
- W267AI (101.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: MCC BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WERS (88.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: EMERSON COLLEGE)
- WHRB (95.3 FM; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: HARVARD RADIO BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WWBB (101.5 FM; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBOT (97.7 FM; BROCKTON, MA; Owner: RADIO ONE LICENSES, LLC)
- WZBC (90.3 FM; NEWTON, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF BOSTON COLLEGE)
- WSNE-FM (93.3 FM; TAUNTON, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
TV broadcast stations around Norwood:
- WCVB-TV (Channel 5; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WCVB HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC.)
- WGBH-TV (Channel 2; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WSBK-TV (Channel 38; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WLVI-TV (Channel 56; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: WLVI, INC.)
- WMFP (Channel 62; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: WSAH LICENSE, INC.)
- WHDH-TV (Channel 7; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WHDH-TV)
- WFXT (Channel 25; BOSTON, MA; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS INC.)
- WBZ-TV (Channel 4; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WGBX-TV (Channel 44; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- W40BO (Channel 40; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WBPX (Channel 68; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON BOSTON-68 LICENSE, INC.)
- WWDP (Channel 46; NORWELL, MA; Owner: NORWELL TELEVISION, LLC)
- WTMU-LP (Channel 32; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ZGS BOSTON, INC.)
- WCEA-LP (Channel 58; BOSTON, MA; Owner: CHANNEL 19 TV CORPORATION)
- WUTF (Channel 66; MARLBOROUGH, MA; Owner: TELEFUTURA BOSTON LLC)
- WLNE-TV (Channel 6; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: FREEDOM BROADCASTING OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND, INC.)
- WPRI-TV (Channel 12; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: TVL BROADCASTING OF RHODE ISLAND, LLC)
- WNAC-TV (Channel 64; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: WNAC, LLC)
- WJAR (Channel 10; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: OUTLET BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSBE-TV (Channel 36; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: RHODE ISLAND PUBLIC TELECOM. AUTHORITY)
- WUNI (Channel 27; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WFXZ-CA (Channel 24; BOSTON, MA; Owner: BOSTON BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WPXQ (Channel 69; BLOCK ISLAND, RI; Owner: OCEAN STATE TELEVISION, L.L.C.)
- WLWC (Channel 28; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: C-28 FCC LICENSEE SUBSIDIARY, LLC)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.