Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 6,373
Males: 3,693 (57.9%), Females: 2,680 (42.1%)
Median resident age: 36.6 years
Median household income: $53,344 (year 2000)
Median house value: $163,400 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Shirley:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (82.4%)
- Hispanic (6.9%)
- Black (6.7%)
- Other race (5.1%)
- Two or more races (1.6%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
- Korean (0.6%)
Ancestries: Irish (20.0%), English (14.4%), French (12.8%), German (9.4%), Italian (8.1%), French Canadian (7.8%).
New! Massachusetts forum
Elevation: 279 feet
Land area: 1.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Shirley
- High school or higher: 81.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 19.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.4%
- Unemployed: 3.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Shirley town
- Never married: 25.7%
- Now married: 56.3%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 5.1%
- Divorced: 11.0%
7.1% Foreign born (2.1% Europe, 1.8% Latin America, 1.3% Asia, 1.2% North America).
Real Estate - Search For Homes. View MLS for Massachusetts. />
Real Estate - all home & condo listings plus sales reports for Wellesley, etc. />
City Apartments - for a luxury Apartment? Fully serviced and stylish! />
Real Estate Licenses - Courses for $ 199.00 Our test results say it all. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: NH (18.5 miles Nashua, pop. 86,605).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (41.5 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (201.1 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: MA (0.0 miles Shirley, Devens, MA (2.5 miles Fort MA (4.7 miles Ayer, MA (5.5 miles Harvard, MA (6.2 miles Lunenburg, MA (6.3 miles Lancaster,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 42 buildings, average cost: $68,900
- 1997: 61 buildings, average cost: $87,300
- 1999: 18 buildings, average cost: $118,000
- 2000: 20 buildings, average cost: $116,900
- 2001: 25 buildings, average cost: $129,300
- 2002: 29 buildings, average cost: $162,000
- 2003: 23 buildings, average cost: $182,900
- 2004: 36 buildings, average cost: $174,400
- 2005: 36 buildings, average cost: $201,800
Latitude: 42.54 N, Longitude: 71.65 W
Area code: 978
Industries providing employment: Manufacturing (21.4%), Educational,health and social services (16.0%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (12.2%), Retail trade (11.0%).
Crime in Shirley by Year
|Type ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 |
|Murders ||1 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||15.7 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||0 ||0 ||2 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||31.4 |
|Robberies ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Assaults ||5 ||4 ||2 |
| per 100,000 ||78.5 ||62.8 ||31.4 |
|Burglaries ||23 ||11 ||18 |
| per 100,000 ||360.9 ||172.6 ||282.4 |
|Thefts ||29 ||21 ||24 |
| per 100,000 ||455.0 ||329.5 ||376.6 |
|Auto thefts ||1 ||1 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||15.7 ||15.7 ||0.0 |
| ||76.1 ||39.1 ||53.7 |
Average climate in Shirley, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Shirley-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Massachusetts state average. It is 11% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1953, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 19.1 miles away from the Shirley city center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 10/3/1970, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 9.2 miles away from the city center killed one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Hospitals/medical centers near Shirley:
- DEACONESS - NASHOBA HOSPITAL (about 5 miles; AYER, MA)
- HEALTH ALLIANCE HOSPITALS INC (about 8 miles; LEOMINSTER, MA)
- CLINTON HOSPITAL ASSOCIATION (about 9 miles; CLINTON, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Shirley:
- WORCESTER REGIONAL (about 25 miles; WORCESTER, MA; ID: ORH)
- LAURENCE G HANSCOM FLD (about 26 miles; BEDFORD, MA; ID: BED)
- MANCHESTER (about 31 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; ID: MHT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Shirley:
- SHIRLEY (about 2 miles; SHIRLEY, MA; ID: 9B4)
- FITCHBURG MUNI (about 7 miles; FITCHBURG, MA; ID: FIT)
- MINUTE MAN AIR FIELD (about 12 miles; STOW, MA; ID: 6B6)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Shirley:
- FITCHBURG STATE COLLEGE (about 11 miles; FITCHBURG, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,660)
- BRANDEIS UNIVERSITY (about 15 miles; WALTHAM, MA; FT enrollment: 4,444)
- QUINSIGAMOND COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 19 miles; WORCESTER, MA; FT enrollment: 3,359)
- WORCESTER POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE (about 22 miles; WORCESTER, MA; FT enrollment: 3,426)
- ASSUMPTION COLLEGE (about 22 miles; WORCESTER, MA; FT enrollment: 2,356)
- FRAMINGHAM STATE COLLEGE (about 23 miles; FRAMINGHAM, MA; FT enrollment: 4,185)
- WORCESTER STATE COLLEGE (about 23 miles; WORCESTER, MA; FT enrollment: 3,846)
Public primary/middle schools in Shirley:
- LURA A WHITE (Students: 726; Location: 34 LANCASTER RD; Grades: PK - 08)
- CENTER (Students: 26; Location: 7 PARKER RD; Grades: PK - PK)
- SHIRLEY MIDDLE SCHOOL (Location: 1 HOSPITAL ROAD; Grades: 05 - 08)
Library in Shirley:
- HAZEN MEMORIAL LIBRARY (Operating income: $199,727; Location: 3 KEADY WAY; 30,130 books; 559 audio materials; 1,284 video materials; 113 serial subscriptions)
User submitted facts and corrections:
- Deaconess - Nashoba Hospital is now named Nashoba Community Medical Center
Notable locations in Shirley: Shirley Municipal Building (A), Hazen Memorial Library (B).
Church in Shirley: Saint Anthonys Religious Center (A).
Cemeteries: Saint Anthonys Cemetery (1), Village Cemetery (2).
Reservoirs and swamps: Phoenix Pond (A), Tophet Swamp (B).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Bow Brook (A).
Post office: (A).
Shirley compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median house value above state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Shirley:
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WAMG (890 AM; 25 kW; DEDHAM, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF DEDHAM LICENSEE, LLC)
- WAZN (1470 AM; 7 kW; MARLBOROUGH, MA; Owner: MULTICULTURAL RADIO BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WCMX (1000 AM; daytime; 1 kW; LEOMINSTER, MA; Owner: TWIN CITY BAPTIST TEMPLE, INC.)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WTAG (580 AM; 5 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WEIM (1280 AM; 5 kW; FITCHBURG, MA; Owner: LIVEAIR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Shirley:
- WXLO (104.5 FM; FITCHBURG, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WFEX (92.1 FM; PETERBOROUGH, NH; Owner: FNX BROADCASTING OF NEW HAMPSHIRE LLC)
- WAAF (107.3 FM; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WSRS (96.1 FM; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBMX (98.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WGIR-FM (101.1 FM; MANCHESTER, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WJMN (94.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCRB (102.5 FM; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: CHARLES RIVER BROADCASTING WCRB LICE)
- WTKK (96.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WROR-FM (105.7 FM; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBOS (92.9 FM; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WQLL (96.5 FM; BEDFORD, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WGBH (89.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WLMW (90.7 FM; MANCHESTER, NH; Owner: KNOWLEDGE FOR LIFE)
- WZID (95.7 FM; MANCHESTER, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WBUR-FM (90.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF BOSTON UNIVERSITY)
- WHOB (106.3 FM; NASHUA, NH; Owner: TELE-MEDIA COMPANY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE, L.L.C.)
- WXKS-FM (107.9 FM; MEDFORD, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WODS (103.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WMJX (106.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Shirley:
- WUNI (Channel 27; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WUTF (Channel 66; MARLBOROUGH, MA; Owner: TELEFUTURA BOSTON LLC)
- WCVB-TV (Channel 5; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WCVB HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC.)
- WGBH-TV (Channel 2; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WHDH-TV (Channel 7; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WHDH-TV)
- WMFP (Channel 62; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: WSAH LICENSE, INC.)
- WBZ-TV (Channel 4; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WGBX-TV (Channel 44; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WSBK-TV (Channel 38; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WLVI-TV (Channel 56; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: WLVI, INC.)
- WFXT (Channel 25; BOSTON, MA; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS INC.)
- W40BO (Channel 40; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WNDS (Channel 50; DERRY, NH; Owner: CTV OF DERRY, INC)
- WFXZ-CA (Channel 24; BOSTON, MA; Owner: BOSTON BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WBPX (Channel 68; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON BOSTON-68 LICENSE, INC.)
- WYDN (Channel 48; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: EDUCATIONAL PUBLIC TV CORPORATION)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.