Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 22,219. Estimated population in July 2005: 21,582 (-2.9% change)
Males: 10,462 (47.1%), Females: 11,757 (52.9%)
Median resident age: 40.6 years
Median household income: $56,605 (year 2000)
Median house value: $241,800 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Stoneham:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.0%)
- Hispanic (1.8%)
- Chinese (1.2%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
- Black (0.9%)
- Other race (0.6%)
- Asian Indian (0.5%)
Ancestries: Italian (33.1%), Irish (30.9%), English (11.6%), French (5.0%), German (4.0%), French Canadian (3.9%).
New! Massachusetts forum
Elevation: 155 feet
Land area: 6.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Stoneham
- High school or higher: 90.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 31.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 11.7%
- Unemployed: 2.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Stoneham town
- Never married: 25.6%
- Now married: 56.2%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 8.8%
- Divorced: 7.5%
8.1% Foreign born (4.2% Europe, 1.9% Asia, 1.2% Latin America).
Building for Sale - 1000's of apartment buildings and complexes for sale. />
Real Estate - all home & condo listings plus sales reports for Wellesley, etc. />
QB Lodging - rates on hotels and resorts at Stoneham Ski Resort, Quebec />
Property - real estate listings on NYTimes.com />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: MA (4.2 miles Medford, pop. 55,765).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (11.0 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (229.4 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: MA (0.0 miles Stoneham, MA (2.4 miles Wakefield, MA Melrose, (2.9 miles MA (3.3 miles Reading, MA (3.6 miles Winchester, .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 47 buildings, average cost: $105,200
- 1997: 58 buildings, average cost: $105,700
- 1998: 16 buildings, average cost: $105,500
- 1999: 27 buildings, average cost: $131,800
- 2000: 16 buildings, average cost: $208,300
- 2001: 9 buildings, average cost: $223,200
- 2002: 5 buildings, average cost: $177,700
- 2003: 0 buildings
- 2004: 8 buildings, average cost: $215,800
- 2005: 10 buildings, average cost: $186,900
Latitude: 42.48 N, Longitude: 71.10 W
Area codes: 781, 339
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (21.9%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (14.9%), Retail trade (10.9%), Finance,insurance,real estate,and rental and leasing (10.4%).
Crime in Stoneham by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||1 ||0 ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||4.5 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||1 ||3 ||5 ||0 ||1 |
| per 100,000 ||4.5 ||13.5 ||22.5 ||0.0 ||4.5 |
|Robberies ||7 ||7 ||4 ||6 ||9 |
| per 100,000 ||31.5 ||31.5 ||18.0 ||27.0 ||40.5 |
|Assaults ||16 ||18 ||19 ||31 ||28 |
| per 100,000 ||72.0 ||81.0 ||85.5 ||139.5 ||126.0 |
|Burglaries ||81 ||64 ||50 ||64 ||90 |
| per 100,000 ||364.6 ||288.0 ||225.0 ||288.0 ||405.1 |
|Thefts ||250 ||218 ||235 ||277 ||277 |
| per 100,000 ||1125.2 ||981.1 ||1057.7 ||1246.7 ||1246.7 |
|Auto thefts ||47 ||32 ||37 ||34 ||24 |
| per 100,000 ||211.5 ||144.0 ||166.5 ||153.0 ||108.0 |
| ||117.6 ||102.0 ||102.9 ||118.3 ||126.0 |
Average climate in Stoneham, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Stoneham-area historical tornado activity is near Massachusetts state average. It is 35% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1953, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 31.5 miles away from the Stoneham city center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 9/29/1974, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 11.9 miles away from the city center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Hospitals/medical centers near Stoneham:
- WINCHESTER HOSPITAL (about 4 miles; WINCHESTER, MA)
- NEW ENGLAND REHAB HOSP (about 4 miles; WOBURN, MA)
- HALLMARK HEALTH SYSTEM (about 5 miles; MALDEN, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Stoneham:
- GENERAL EDWARD LAWRENCE LOGAN INTL (about 12 miles; BOSTON, MA; ID: BOS)
- LAURENCE G HANSCOM FLD (about 13 miles; BEDFORD, MA; ID: BED)
- MANCHESTER (about 39 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; ID: MHT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Stoneham:
- BEVERLY MUNI (about 16 miles; BEVERLY, MA; ID: BVY)
- LAWRENCE MUNI (about 17 miles; LAWRENCE, MA; ID: LWM)
- MERRIMACK VALLEY (about 17 miles; METHUEN, MA; ID: MA2)
Amtrak stations near Stoneham:
- 4 miles: WOBURN (100 ATLANTIC AVE.). Services: ticket office.
- 9 miles: BOSTON, NORTH STATION (BOSTON, 126 CAUSEWAY ST.). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area.
- 10 miles: BACK BAY (BOSTON, 145 DARTMOUTH ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Stoneham:
- TUFTS UNIVERSITY (about 5 miles; MEDFORD, MA; Full-time enrollment: 8,627)
- HARVARD UNIVERSITY (about 8 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; FT enrollment: 20,531)
- LESLEY UNIVERSITY (about 8 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; FT enrollment: 3,700)
- BUNKER HILL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 8 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 3,638)
- MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 8 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; FT enrollment: 9,895)
- SUFFOLK UNIVERSITY (about 9 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 5,291)
- EMERSON COLLEGE (about 10 miles; Boston, MA; FT enrollment: 3,697)
Public high school in Stoneham:
- STONEHAM HIGH (Students: 875; Location: 149 FRANKLIN STREET; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in Stoneham:
- EDGEWOOD GREATER BOSTON ACADEM (Students: 191; Location: 20 WOODLAND ROAD; Grades: PK - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Stoneham:
- STONEHAM MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 696; Location: 101 CENTRAL STREET; Grades: 06 - 08)
- CENTRAL (Students: 384; Location: 36 POMEWORTH STREET; Grades: PK - 05)
- SOUTH (Students: 377; Location: SUMMER STREET; Grades: PK - 05)
- ROBIN HOOD (Students: 362; Location: 25 WILLIAM STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
- COLONIAL PARK (Students: 296; Location: 25 WILLIAM STREET; Grades: PK - 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Stoneham:
- ST PATRICK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 251; Location: 20 PLEASANT STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
- EDGEWOOD SCHOOL OF SEVENTH DAY (Students: 96; Location: 108 POND ST; Grades: PK - 8)
Library in Stoneham:
- STONEHAM PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $691,017; Location: 431 MAIN ST.; 77,690 books; 1,910 audio materials; 1,080 video materials; 217 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Stoneham: Bear Hill Country Club (A), Bear Hill Golf Club (B), Unicorn Golf and Country Club (C), Winchester Waterworks (D), Stoneham Townhall (E), Stoneham Public Library (F), Stoneham Firestation (G), New England Memorial Hospital Health Sciences Library (H).
Shopping Center: Redstone Shopping Center (1).
Churches in Stoneham include: Seventh Day Adventist Church (A), Saint Patricks Convent (B), Saint James Methodist Church (C), First Baptist Church of Stoneham (D), First Congregational Church (E), All Saints Episcopal Church (F).
Cemeteries: Lindenwood Cemetery (1), Saint Patricks Cemetery (2), Old Burying Ground (3).
Lakes, reservoirs, and swamps: Dike Pond (A), Dark Hollow Pond (B), Spot Pond (C), Doleful Pond (D), Buckman Pond (E), Fells Reservoir (F), Kimballs Pond (G), Turkey Swamp (H).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Spot Pond Brook (A).
Parks in Stoneham include: Stone Memorial Zoo (1), Nobility Hill Historic District (2), Central Square Historic District (3), Conant Playground (4), Rounds Playground (5).
Post office: (A).
Stoneham compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Stoneham:
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WEZE (590 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: NEW ENGLAND CONTINENTAL MEDIA, INC.)
- WILD (1090 AM; daytime; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: RADIO ONE OF BOSTON LICENSES, LLC)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WXKS (1430 AM; 5 kW; EVERETT, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WRCA (1330 AM; 25 kW; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: WRCA LICENSE, LLC)
- WROL (950 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: SCA LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WUNR (1600 AM; 20 kW; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: CHAMPION BROADCASTING SYSTEMS, INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBPS (1150 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF BOSTON LICENSEE, L.L.C.)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Stoneham:
- WFNX (101.7 FM; LYNN, MA; Owner: MCC BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WXKS-FM (107.9 FM; MEDFORD, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WMJX (106.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBCN (104.1 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: HEMISPHERE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WZLX (100.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF BOSTON)
- W267AI (101.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: MCC BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WERS (88.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: EMERSON COLLEGE)
- WQSX (93.7 FM; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBMX (98.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WJMN (94.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCRB (102.5 FM; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: CHARLES RIVER BROADCASTING WCRB LICE)
- WTKK (96.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBOS (92.9 FM; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WROR-FM (105.7 FM; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WHRB (95.3 FM; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: HARVARD RADIO BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WGBH (89.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WBUR-FM (90.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF BOSTON UNIVERSITY)
- WODS (103.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WKLB-FM (99.5 FM; LOWELL, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WMBR (88.1 FM; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: TECHNOLOGY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
TV broadcast stations around Stoneham:
- WBPX (Channel 68; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON BOSTON-68 LICENSE, INC.)
- WCVB-TV (Channel 5; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WCVB HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC.)
- WGBH-TV (Channel 2; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WTMU-LP (Channel 32; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ZGS BOSTON, INC.)
- WCEA-LP (Channel 58; BOSTON, MA; Owner: CHANNEL 19 TV CORPORATION)
- WHDH-TV (Channel 7; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WHDH-TV)
- WMFP (Channel 62; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: WSAH LICENSE, INC.)
- WSBK-TV (Channel 38; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WLVI-TV (Channel 56; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: WLVI, INC.)
- WBZ-TV (Channel 4; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WGBX-TV (Channel 44; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WFXT (Channel 25; BOSTON, MA; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS INC.)
- W40BO (Channel 40; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WFXZ-CA (Channel 24; BOSTON, MA; Owner: BOSTON BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WUTF (Channel 66; MARLBOROUGH, MA; Owner: TELEFUTURA BOSTON LLC)
- WWDP (Channel 46; NORWELL, MA; Owner: NORWELL TELEVISION, LLC)
- WUNI (Channel 27; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WHDN-LP (Channel 26; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GUENTER MARKSTEINER)
- WLNE-TV (Channel 6; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: FREEDOM BROADCASTING OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND, INC.)
- WNDS (Channel 50; DERRY, NH; Owner: CTV OF DERRY, INC)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.