Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 24,804. Estimated population in July 2005: 24,575 (-0.9% change)
Males: 11,762 (47.4%), Females: 13,042 (52.6%)
Median resident age: 38.9 years
Median household income: $66,117 (year 2000)
Median house value: $242,400 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Wakefield:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.4%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
- Hispanic (0.8%)
- Chinese (0.7%)
Ancestries: Irish (33.0%), Italian (28.5%), English (13.4%), French (6.3%), German (5.5%), French Canadian (4.8%).
New! Massachusetts forum
Elevation: 100 feet
Land area: 7.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Wakefield
- High school or higher: 90.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 39.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 14.6%
- Unemployed: 3.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wakefield town
- Never married: 27.0%
- Now married: 56.2%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 7.5%
- Divorced: 8.3%
5.0% Foreign born (2.2% Europe, 1.2% Asia, 0.8% Latin America, 0.6% North America).
- an available building or site in 30 seconds or less. /> Massachusetts. />
Hotels - Hotels, Compare Rates & Read Recent Reviews. Try TripAdvisor! />
MA Apartments - Massachusetts Apartments. Stylish. Affordable. Flexible Stay! />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: MA Malden, (5.1 miles pop. 56,340).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (12.5 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (231.7 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: MA (0.0 miles Wakefield, MA (2.4 miles Stoneham, MA Melrose, (3.0 miles MA (3.1 miles Reading, MA (3.5 miles Lynnfield, .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 33 buildings, average cost: $157,800
- 1997: 27 buildings, average cost: $202,300
- 1998: 131 buildings, average cost: $111,400
- 1999: 52 buildings, average cost: $144,900
- 2000: 33 buildings, average cost: $187,400
- 2001: 28 buildings, average cost: $171,100
- 2002: 60 buildings, average cost: $110,100
- 2003: 25 buildings, average cost: $172,200
- 2004: 26 buildings, average cost: $203,200
- 2005: 77 buildings, average cost: $157,200
Latitude: 42.50 N, Longitude: 71.07 W
Area codes: 781, 339
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (20.5%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (15.3%), Finance,insurance,real estate,and rental and leasing (12.3%), Manufacturing (10.4%).
Crime in Wakefield by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||7 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||28.2 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||0 ||1 ||3 ||2 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||4.0 ||12.1 ||8.1 |
|Robberies ||3 ||6 ||6 ||3 |
| per 100,000 ||12.1 ||24.2 ||24.2 ||12.1 |
|Assaults ||19 ||24 ||11 ||9 |
| per 100,000 ||76.6 ||96.8 ||44.3 ||36.3 |
|Burglaries ||39 ||54 ||42 ||49 |
| per 100,000 ||157.2 ||217.7 ||169.3 ||197.5 |
|Thefts ||192 ||222 ||179 ||161 |
| per 100,000 ||774.1 ||895.0 ||721.7 ||649.1 |
|Auto thefts ||18 ||33 ||26 ||17 |
| per 100,000 ||72.6 ||133.0 ||104.8 ||68.5 |
| ||66.7 ||118.1 ||70.1 ||59.4 |
Average climate in Wakefield, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Wakefield-area historical tornado activity is near Massachusetts state average. It is 36% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1953, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 33.8 miles away from the Wakefield city center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 9/29/1974, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 12.1 miles away from the city center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Carleton S. Coon - (died 1981), anthropologist.
Main business address for: EDGEWATER TECHNOLOGY INC/DE/ (SERVICES-COMPUTER PROGRAMMING, DATA PROCESSING, ETC.), FRANKLIN STREET PROPERTIES CORP /MA/ (REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT TRUSTS), AMERICAN DENTAL PARTNERS INC (SERVICES-MISC HEALTH & ALLIED SERVICES, NEC).
Hospitals/medical centers near Wakefield:
- HALLMARK HEALTH SYSTEM (about 6 miles; MALDEN, MA)
- NEW ENGLAND REHAB HOSP (about 6 miles; WOBURN, MA)
- WINCHESTER HOSPITAL (about 6 miles; WINCHESTER, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Wakefield:
- GENERAL EDWARD LAWRENCE LOGAN INTL (about 12 miles; BOSTON, MA; ID: BOS)
- LAURENCE G HANSCOM FLD (about 15 miles; BEDFORD, MA; ID: BED)
- MANCHESTER (about 39 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; ID: MHT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Wakefield:
- BEVERLY MUNI (about 14 miles; BEVERLY, MA; ID: BVY)
- LAWRENCE MUNI (about 16 miles; LAWRENCE, MA; ID: LWM)
- MERRIMACK VALLEY (about 17 miles; METHUEN, MA; ID: MA2)
Amtrak stations near Wakefield:
- 5 miles: WOBURN (100 ATLANTIC AVE.). Services: ticket office.
- 10 miles: BOSTON, NORTH STATION (BOSTON, 126 CAUSEWAY ST.). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area.
- 11 miles: BOSTON (SO. STA) (BOSTON, ATLANTIC AVE. & SUMMER ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities and snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wakefield:
- TUFTS UNIVERSITY (about 7 miles; MEDFORD, MA; Full-time enrollment: 8,627)
- BUNKER HILL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 9 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 3,638)
- HARVARD UNIVERSITY (about 10 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; FT enrollment: 20,531)
- LESLEY UNIVERSITY (about 10 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; FT enrollment: 3,700)
- MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 10 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; FT enrollment: 9,895)
- SUFFOLK UNIVERSITY (about 10 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 5,291)
- NORTH SHORE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 11 miles; DANVERS, MA; FT enrollment: 3,663)
Public high schools in Wakefield:
- NORTHEAST METRO REG VOC (Students: 1,190; Location: 100 HEMLOCK RD; Grades: 09 - 12)
- WAKEFIELD MEMORIAL HIGH (Students: 995; Location: 60 FARM STREET; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in Wakefield:
- OUR LADY OF NAZARETH ACADEMY (Students: 168; Location: 14 WINSHIP DRIVE; Grades: 9 - 12; Girls only)
Public primary/middle schools in Wakefield:
- GALVIN MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 1,083; Location: 525 MAIN STREET; Grades: 05 - 08)
- DOLBEARE (Students: 490; Location: 340 LOWELL STREET; Grades: PK - 04)
- WOODVILLE SCHOOL (Students: 463; Location: 30 FARM STREET; Grades: PK - 04)
- GREENWOOD (Students: 247; Location: 1030 MAIN STREET; Grades: KG - 04)
- WALTON (Students: 175; Location: 28 DAVIDSON ROAD; Grades: KG - 04)
Private primary/middle schools in Wakefield:
- ST JOSEPH SCHOOL (Students: 270; Location: 15 GOULD STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
- CANTERBURY CHILDRENS CENTER (Students: 133; Location: 5 BRYANT STREET; Grades: PK - KG)
- ODYSSEY DAY SCHOOL (Students: 72; Location: 20A DEL CARMINE; Grades: PK - 6)
- THE CHILDRENS GATHERING INC (Students: 62; Location: 101CEDAR STREET; Grades: PK - KG)
- CHILDRENS CENTER OF WAKEFIELD (Students: 43; Location: 483 WATER STREET; Grades: PK - KG)
- 735 HOUSE (Students: 14; Location: LAFAYETTE STREET; Grades: UG - UG; Boys only)
Library in Wakefield:
- LUCIUS BEEBE MEMORIAL LIBRARY (Operating income: $1,047,183; Location: 345 MAIN STREET; 107,234 books; 2,709 audio materials; 3,186 video materials; 224 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Wakefield: Lakeside Office Park (A), Veterans Field (B), Wakefield Industrial Center (C), Center Depot (D), Lucius Beebe Memorial Library (E), YMCA (F), Wakefield Townhall (G), Wakefield Town Hall (H).
Churches in Wakefield include: Wakefield-Lynnfield United Church (A), Emmanuel Parish Church of Wakefield (B), First Parish Congregational Church (C), Hope Alliance Church (D), Lakeside Cemetery Chapel (E).
Cemeteries: Lakeside Cemetery (1), Forest Glade Cemetery (2), Temple Israel Cemetery (3), Old Cemetery (4).
Reservoirs: Crystal Lake (A), Lake Quannapowitt (B).
River: Mill River (A).
Parks in Wakefield include: Sullivan Memorial Park (1), Moulten Playground (2), Common District (3), Crystal Lake Park (4), Church-Lafayette Streets Historic District (5), Wakefield Town Forest Park (6), Wakefield Park (7), Round Park (8), Veterans Field (9).
Post offices: Wakefield Post Office (A), Greenwood Post Office (B).
Wakefield compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median household income above state average.
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Wakefield:
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WEZE (590 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: NEW ENGLAND CONTINENTAL MEDIA, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WILD (1090 AM; daytime; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: RADIO ONE OF BOSTON LICENSES, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WROL (950 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: SCA LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WXKS (1430 AM; 5 kW; EVERETT, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WRCA (1330 AM; 25 kW; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: WRCA LICENSE, LLC)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WUNR (1600 AM; 20 kW; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: CHAMPION BROADCASTING SYSTEMS, INC.)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBPS (1150 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF BOSTON LICENSEE, L.L.C.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Wakefield:
- WQSX (93.7 FM; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WFNX (101.7 FM; LYNN, MA; Owner: MCC BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WXKS-FM (107.9 FM; MEDFORD, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WMJX (106.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- W267AI (101.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: MCC BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WBCN (104.1 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: HEMISPHERE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WZLX (100.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF BOSTON)
- WERS (88.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: EMERSON COLLEGE)
- WHRB (95.3 FM; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: HARVARD RADIO BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WBMX (98.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WJMN (94.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCRB (102.5 FM; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: CHARLES RIVER BROADCASTING WCRB LICE)
- WTKK (96.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBOS (92.9 FM; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WROR-FM (105.7 FM; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WGBH (89.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WBUR-FM (90.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF BOSTON UNIVERSITY)
- WODS (103.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WKLB-FM (99.5 FM; LOWELL, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- W227AM (93.3 FM; ANDOVER, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Wakefield:
- WBPX (Channel 68; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON BOSTON-68 LICENSE, INC.)
- WCVB-TV (Channel 5; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WCVB HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC.)
- WGBH-TV (Channel 2; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WTMU-LP (Channel 32; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ZGS BOSTON, INC.)
- WCEA-LP (Channel 58; BOSTON, MA; Owner: CHANNEL 19 TV CORPORATION)
- WHDH-TV (Channel 7; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WHDH-TV)
- WMFP (Channel 62; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: WSAH LICENSE, INC.)
- WSBK-TV (Channel 38; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WLVI-TV (Channel 56; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: WLVI, INC.)
- WBZ-TV (Channel 4; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WGBX-TV (Channel 44; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WFXT (Channel 25; BOSTON, MA; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS INC.)
- WFXZ-CA (Channel 24; BOSTON, MA; Owner: BOSTON BROADCASTING CORP.)
- W40BO (Channel 40; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WUTF (Channel 66; MARLBOROUGH, MA; Owner: TELEFUTURA BOSTON LLC)
- WWDP (Channel 46; NORWELL, MA; Owner: NORWELL TELEVISION, LLC)
- WHDN-LP (Channel 26; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GUENTER MARKSTEINER)
- WUNI (Channel 27; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WNDS (Channel 50; DERRY, NH; Owner: CTV OF DERRY, INC)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.