Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 59,226. Estimated population in July 2005: 59,556 (+0.6% change)
Males: 29,194 (49.3%), Females: 30,032 (50.7%)
Zip codes: .
Median resident age: 34.2 years
Median household income: $54,010 (year 2000)
Median house value: $250,800 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Waltham:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (78.4%)
- Hispanic (8.5%)
- Black (4.4%)
- Other race (3.2%)
- Asian Indian (2.7%)
- Chinese (2.5%)
- Two or more races (1.9%)
- Other Asian (0.6%)
- Korean (0.6%)
- Vietnamese (0.5%)
Ancestries: Irish (21.2%), Italian (18.5%), English (8.3%), French Canadian (5.7%), German (4.9%), French (4.6%).
New! Massachusetts forum
Elevation: 50 feet
Land area: 12.7 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Waltham
- High school or higher: 85.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 38.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 15.7%
- Unemployed: 5.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Waltham city
- Never married: 41.8%
- Now married: 43.7%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 6.1%
- Divorced: 7.0%
20.2% Foreign born (7.3% Asia, 5.3% Latin America, 4.0% Europe, 2.6% North America).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,355 (+2.3%).
Real Estate - Search For Homes. View MLS for Massachusetts. />
MA Apartments - Waltham Apartments. Stylish. Affordable. Flexible Stay! />
Central Mass Property - real estate experts Save with us! />
School - private, affordable K-12 school located in Amesbury, Massachusetts. />
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (10.8 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (217.8 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: MA Newton, (3.4 miles MA (3.7 miles Watertown, MA (4.2 miles Belmont, MA Lexington, (4.4 miles MA (4.8 miles Weston, MA Arlington, (5.4 miles
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 40 buildings, average cost: $96,600
- 1997: 48 buildings, average cost: $86,800
- 1998: 53 buildings, average cost: $96,100
- 1999: 75 buildings, average cost: $81,200
- 2000: 42 buildings, average cost: $95,900
- 2001: 17 buildings, average cost: $122,600
- 2002: 78 buildings, average cost: $111,900
- 2003: 72 buildings, average cost: $122,000
- 2004: 145 buildings, average cost: $119,100
- 2005: 43 buildings, average cost: $184,100
Latitude: 42.38 N, Longitude: 71.24 W
Area codes: 781, 617, 339
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (23.1%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (16.1%), Manufacturing (12.1%), Retail trade (10.6%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +20,454 (+34.5%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 11,143 (34.1%)
Crime in Waltham by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||1 ||0 ||2 ||1 ||2 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||1.7 ||0.0 ||3.4 ||1.7 ||3.4 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||12 ||12 ||11 ||5 ||11 ||9 |
| per 100,000 ||20.3 ||20.3 ||18.6 ||8.4 ||18.6 ||15.2 |
|Robberies ||6 ||8 ||19 ||19 ||20 ||17 |
| per 100,000 ||10.1 ||13.5 ||32.1 ||32.1 ||33.8 ||28.7 |
|Assaults ||80 ||11 ||35 ||67 ||67 ||70 |
| per 100,000 ||135.1 ||18.6 ||59.1 ||113.1 ||113.1 ||118.2 |
|Burglaries ||156 ||132 ||184 ||144 ||116 ||145 |
| per 100,000 ||263.4 ||222.9 ||310.7 ||243.1 ||195.9 ||244.8 |
|Thefts ||771 ||783 ||872 ||779 ||601 ||624 |
| per 100,000 ||1301.8 ||1322.1 ||1472.3 ||1315.3 ||1014.8 ||1053.6 |
|Auto thefts ||75 ||73 ||124 ||111 ||98 ||85 |
| per 100,000 ||126.6 ||123.3 ||209.4 ||187.4 ||165.5 ||143.5 |
| ||120.5 ||94.2 ||129.6 ||121.9 ||111.1 ||109.1 |
Average climate in Waltham, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Waltham-area historical tornado activity is near Massachusetts state average. It is 30% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1953, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 20.4 miles away from the Waltham city center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 9/29/1974, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 15.2 miles away from the city center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Keith Aucoin - NHL player (Carolina Hurricanes, born: Nov 6, 1978), Shawn McEachern - NHL player (Boston Bruins, born: Feb 28, 1969), Samuel Livermore - (1732-1803), Senator and Congresman from New Hampshire, Caroll Spinney - : Harvey.
Main business address for: CMGI INC (SERVICES-DIRECT MAIL ADVERTISING SERVICES), LIONBRIDGE TECHNOLOGIES INC /DE/ (SERVICES-BUSINESS SERVICES, NEC), NETEGRITY INC (SERVICES-PREPACKAGED SOFTWARE), POLAROID HOLDING CO (PHOTOGRAPHIC EQUIPMENT & SUPPLIES), REPLIGEN CORP (BIOLOGICAL PRODUCTS (NO DIAGNOSTIC SUBSTANCES)), PAREXEL INTERNATIONAL CORP (SERVICES-COMMERCIAL PHYSICAL & BIOLOGICAL RESEARCH), PHASE FORWARD INC (SERVICES-BUSINESS SERVICES, NEC), NeuroMetrix, Inc. (SURGICAL & MEDICAL INSTRUMENTS & APPARATUS) and 6 other public companies.
Hospitals/medical centers in Waltham:
- DEACONESS-WALTHAM HOSPITAL (HOPE AVE)
- OLYMPUS SPECIALTY HOSPITAL (775 TRAPELO ROAD)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Waltham:
- NEWTON-WELLESLEY HOSPITAL (about 4 miles; NEWTON, MA)
- MCLEAN HOSPITAL CORPORATION (about 5 miles; BELMONT, MA)
- DEACONESS-GLOVER HOSPITAL CORP (about 6 miles; NEEDHAM, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Waltham:
- LAURENCE G HANSCOM FLD (about 7 miles; BEDFORD, MA; ID: BED)
- GENERAL EDWARD LAWRENCE LOGAN INTL (about 17 miles; BOSTON, MA; ID: BOS)
- MANCHESTER (about 41 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; ID: MHT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Waltham:
- NORWOOD MEMORIAL (about 15 miles; NORWOOD, MA; ID: OWD)
- MARLBORO (about 19 miles; MARLBORO, MA; ID: 9B1)
- MINUTE MAN AIR FIELD (about 21 miles; STOW, MA; ID: 6B6)
Amtrak stations near Waltham:
- 12 miles: WOBURN (100 ATLANTIC AVE.). Services: ticket office.
- 12 miles: BACK BAY (BOSTON, 145 DARTMOUTH ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 13 miles: BOSTON, NORTH STATION (BOSTON, 126 CAUSEWAY ST.). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area.
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction ||631 ||$2,688,748 ||$51,133 ||0 ||$0 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total ||158 ||$447,965 ||$34,022 ||51 ||$39,630 | Colleges/Universities in Waltham:
- BENTLEY COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 4,651; Location: 175 FOREST ST; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.bentley.edu; Offers Master's degree)
- BRANDEIS UNIVERSITY (FT enrollment: 4,444; Location: 415 SOUTH ST; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.brandeis.edu; Offers Doctor's degree)
- BLAINE THE BEAUTY CAREER SCHOOL (FT enrollment: 86; Location: 314 MOODY ST; Private, for-profit; Website: email@example.com)
- SULLIVAN AND COGLIANO TRAINING CENTER (Location: 230 SECOND AVE; Private, for-profit)
- AMERICAN REAL ESTATE ACADEMY (Location: 771 MAIN ST; Private, for-profit)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Waltham:
- WELLESLEY COLLEGE (about 6 miles; WELLESLEY, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,241)
- MASSACHUSETTS BAY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 6 miles; WELLESLEY HILLS, MA; FT enrollment: 2,938)
- BOSTON COLLEGE (about 6 miles; CHESTNUT HILL, MA; FT enrollment: 13,341)
- HARVARD UNIVERSITY (about 8 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; FT enrollment: 20,531)
- LESLEY UNIVERSITY (about 8 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; FT enrollment: 3,700)
- MIDDLESEX COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 9 miles; BEDFORD, MA; FT enrollment: 4,501)
- TUFTS UNIVERSITY (about 10 miles; MEDFORD, MA; FT enrollment: 8,627)
Public high school in Waltham:
- WALTHAM SR HIGH (Students: 1,486; Location: 617 LEXINGTON STREET; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Waltham:
- JOHN W. MCDEVITT MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 578; Location: 75 CHURCH STREET; Grades: 06 - 08)
- JOHN F KENNEDY MIDDLE (Students: 495; Location: 655 LEXINGTON STREET; Grades: 06 - 08)
- WILLIAM F. STANLEY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 488; Location: 250 SOUTH STREET; Grades: PK - 05)
- NORTHEAST ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 368; Location: PUTNEY LN; Grades: PK - 05)
- DOUGLAS MACARTHUR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 339; Location: 40 PUTNEY LANE; Grades: KG - 05)
- HENRY WHITTEMORE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 282; Location: 30 PARMENTER RD; Grades: KG - 05)
- THOMAS R PLYMPTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 254; Location: 948 MAIN STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
- JAMES FITZGERALD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 237; Location: 140 BEAL RD; Grades: KG - 05)
- JONATHAN BRIGHT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 140; Location: 260 GROVE STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Waltham:
- OUR LADY COMFORTER OF THE AFFL (Students: 290; Location: 920 TRAPELO ROAD; Grades: KG - 8)
- SAINT JUDE SCHOOL (Students: 254; Location: 175 MAIN STREET; Grades: KG - 8)
- WALTHAM CHILD CARE CENTER (Students: 20; Location: 764 MAIN STREET; Grades: PK - KG)
Library in Waltham:
- WALTHAM PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $1,631,852; Location: 735 MAIN ST.; 138,788 books; 16,022 audio materials; 12,619 video materials; 380 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Waltham: Lowell Playground (A), Prospect Hill Ski Area (B), Waltham Federal Center (C), Waltham Industrial Center (D), Waltham Plaza (E), Waltham Research and Development Park (F), Camp Cabot (G), Camp Ted (H), Ceder Hill Camp (I), American Jewish Historical Society Building (J), Lyman Estate (K), Gore Place (L), Brandeis University Main Library (M), Lee M Fredman Memorial Library (N), Waltham Public Library (O), Waltham Museum Library (P), Waltham Museum (Q), Waltham City Hall (R), Charles River Museum of Industry (S), Charles River Museum of Industry Library (T).
Shopping Centers: Wal-Len Shopping Center (1), Wal-Lex Shopping Center (2), Waltham Plaza Shopping Center (3), Bellerica Mall (4).
Cemeteries: Grove Hill Cemetery (1), Mount Feake Cemetery (2).
Lakes and reservoirs: McCusker Pond (A), Tottens Pond (B), Lyman Pond (C), Hardys Pond (D), Duck Pond (E), Cambridge Reservoir (F).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Beaver Brook (A), Clematis Brook (B), Chester Brook (C), Webb Brook (D).
Parks in Waltham include: Auburndale Playground (1), Waltham Common (2), Prospect Hill Park (3), Beaver Brook Reservation (4), Bradford Drake Playground (5).
Post offices: Auburndale Post Office (A), Waltham Post Office (B).
Waltham compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Number of college students above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Waltham:
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WRCA (1330 AM; 25 kW; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: WRCA LICENSE, LLC)
- WNTN (1550 AM; 10 kW; NEWTON, MA; Owner: COLT COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBPS (1150 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF BOSTON LICENSEE, L.L.C.)
- WUNR (1600 AM; 20 kW; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: CHAMPION BROADCASTING SYSTEMS, INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WAMG (890 AM; 25 kW; DEDHAM, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF DEDHAM LICENSEE, LLC)
- WEZE (590 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: NEW ENGLAND CONTINENTAL MEDIA, INC.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WILD (1090 AM; daytime; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: RADIO ONE OF BOSTON LICENSES, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Waltham:
- WBMX (98.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WJMN (94.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCRB (102.5 FM; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: CHARLES RIVER BROADCASTING WCRB LICE)
- WTKK (96.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WROR-FM (105.7 FM; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WGBH (89.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WBOS (92.9 FM; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBUR-FM (90.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF BOSTON UNIVERSITY)
- WODS (103.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WBRS (100.1 FM; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: BRANDEIS UNIVERSITY)
- WXKS-FM (107.9 FM; MEDFORD, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WMJX (106.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBCN (104.1 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: HEMISPHERE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WZLX (100.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF BOSTON)
- WERS (88.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: EMERSON COLLEGE)
- W267AI (101.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: MCC BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WZBC (90.3 FM; NEWTON, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF BOSTON COLLEGE)
- WHRB (95.3 FM; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: HARVARD RADIO BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WFNX (101.7 FM; LYNN, MA; Owner: MCC BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WKLB-FM (99.5 FM; LOWELL, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Waltham:
- WCVB-TV (Channel 5; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WCVB HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC.)
- WGBH-TV (Channel 2; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WHDH-TV (Channel 7; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WHDH-TV)
- WBZ-TV (Channel 4; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WGBX-TV (Channel 44; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WMFP (Channel 62; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: WSAH LICENSE, INC.)
- WSBK-TV (Channel 38; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WLVI-TV (Channel 56; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: WLVI, INC.)
- WFXT (Channel 25; BOSTON, MA; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS INC.)
- W40BO (Channel 40; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WBPX (Channel 68; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON BOSTON-68 LICENSE, INC.)
- WTMU-LP (Channel 32; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ZGS BOSTON, INC.)
- WCEA-LP (Channel 58; BOSTON, MA; Owner: CHANNEL 19 TV CORPORATION)
- WUTF (Channel 66; MARLBOROUGH, MA; Owner: TELEFUTURA BOSTON LLC)
- WUNI (Channel 27; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WFXZ-CA (Channel 24; BOSTON, MA; Owner: BOSTON BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WWDP (Channel 46; NORWELL, MA; Owner: NORWELL TELEVISION, LLC)
- WLNE-TV (Channel 6; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: FREEDOM BROADCASTING OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND, INC.)
- WNAC-TV (Channel 64; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: WNAC, LLC)
- WPRI-TV (Channel 12; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: TVL BROADCASTING OF RHODE ISLAND, LLC)
- WJAR (Channel 10; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: OUTLET BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSBE-TV (Channel 36; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: RHODE ISLAND PUBLIC TELECOM. AUTHORITY)
- WNDS (Channel 50; DERRY, NH; Owner: CTV OF DERRY, INC)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.