Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 40,072. Estimated population in July 2005: 40,525 (+1.1% change)
Males: 19,385 (48.4%), Females: 20,687 (51.6%)
Zip codes: .
Median resident age: 35.8 years
Median household income: $45,240 (year 2000)
Median house value: $133,400 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Westfield:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (92.1%)
- Hispanic (5.0%)
- Other race (2.1%)
- Two or more races (1.3%)
- Black (0.9%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
Ancestries: Irish (22.4%), Polish (15.7%), French (14.5%), Italian (12.7%), English (11.2%), German (9.0%).
New! Massachusetts forum
Elevation: 140 feet
Land area: 46.6 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Westfield
- High school or higher: 84.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 24.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.0%
- Unemployed: 4.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Westfield city
- Never married: 30.7%
- Now married: 52.0%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 6.8%
- Divorced: 8.7%
7.1% Foreign born (5.4% Europe, 1.0% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,583 (+4.1%).
Real Estate - Real Estate Listings Search. View Properties in Massachusetts. />
- accommodation & info on all what to see and where to stay. />
Ma - Rates, Photos, and Hotel Info. Reserve Online or Call 866-90-Rooms />
State Map - for Massachusetts? Here's the Top Massachusetts Guide. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: MA (11.2 miles Chicopee, pop. 54,653).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NY (94.4 miles Brookhaven, pop. 448,248).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (127.3 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: MA Southwick, (5.4 miles MA (6.7 miles Montgomery, MA (7.0 miles Southampton, Springfield, MA (7.3 miles West MA (8.1 miles Agawam, MA (8.9 miles Russell, MA (9.1 miles Granville,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 106 buildings, average cost: $117,800
- 1997: 95 buildings, average cost: $128,500
- 1998: 106 buildings, average cost: $141,500
- 1999: 116 buildings, average cost: $153,300
- 2001: 62 buildings, average cost: $189,800
- 2002: 101 buildings, average cost: $191,200
- 2003: 57 buildings, average cost: $213,500
- 2004: 64 buildings, average cost: $258,500
- 2005: 60 buildings, average cost: $233,700
Latitude: 42.13 N, Longitude: 72.75 W
Area code: 413
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (24.0%), Manufacturing (17.3%), Retail trade (14.2%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -1,468 (-3.7%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 8,429 (43.1%)
Crime in Westfield by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||0 ||3 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||7.5 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||9 ||7 ||13 ||11 ||12 ||15 |
| per 100,000 ||22.5 ||17.5 ||32.4 ||27.5 ||29.9 ||37.4 |
|Robberies ||9 ||10 ||8 ||14 ||8 ||6 |
| per 100,000 ||22.5 ||25.0 ||20.0 ||34.9 ||20.0 ||15.0 |
|Assaults ||285 ||N/A ||115 ||N/A ||129 ||N/A |
| per 100,000 ||711.2 ||N/A ||287.0 ||N/A ||321.9 ||N/A |
|Burglaries ||211 ||193 ||268 ||188 ||177 ||270 |
| per 100,000 ||526.6 ||481.6 ||668.8 ||469.2 ||441.7 ||673.8 |
|Thefts ||509 ||524 ||476 ||516 ||455 ||387 |
| per 100,000 ||1270.2 ||1307.6 ||1187.9 ||1287.7 ||1135.5 ||965.8 |
|Auto thefts ||78 ||77 ||74 ||99 ||82 ||77 |
| per 100,000 ||194.6 ||192.2 ||184.7 ||247.1 ||204.6 ||192.2 |
| ||261.2 ||N/A ||185.5 ||N/A ||175.1 ||N/A |
Average climate in Westfield, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Westfield-area historical tornado activity is above Massachusetts state average. It is 9% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/3/1979, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 6.3 miles away from the Westfield city center killed 3 people and injured 500 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 5/29/1995, a category 4 tornado 29.3 miles away from the city center killed 3 people and injured 24 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Dale Quarterley - Busch series NASCAR driver (born: Jan 25, 1961).
Main business address for: MESTEK INC (AIR COND & WARM AIR HEATING EQUIP & COMM & INDL REFRIG EQUIP), WESTFIELD FINANCIAL INC (SAVINGS INSTITUTION, FEDERALLY CHARTERED), WORONOCO BANCORP INC (SAVINGS INSTITUTIONS, NOT FEDERALLY CHARTERED).
Hospitals/medical centers in Westfield:
- NOBLE HOSPITAL (115 W SILVER ST)
- WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS HOSP (91 EAST MOUNTAIN ROAD)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Westfield:
- BAYSTATE MEDICAL CENTER (about 10 miles; SPRINGFIELD, MA)
- HOLYOKE HOSPITAL INC (about 10 miles; HOLYOKE, MA)
- SOLDIERS HOME OF HOLYOKE (about 10 miles; HOLYOKE, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Westfield:
- BARNES MUNI (about 4 miles; WESTFIELD/SPRINGFIELD, MA; ID: BAF)
- BRADLEY INTL (about 15 miles; WINDSOR LOCKS, CT; ID: BDL)
- WESTOVER ARB/METROPOLITAN (about 16 miles; SPRINGFIELD/CHICOPEE, MA; ID: CEF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Westfield:
- SIMSBURY (about 15 miles; SIMSBURY, CT; ID: 4B9)
- NORTHAMPTON (about 17 miles; NORTHAMPTON, MA; ID: 7B2)
- SKYLARK AIRPARK (about 20 miles; WAREHOUSE POINT, CT; ID: 7B6)
Amtrak stations near Westfield:
- 11 miles: SPRINGFIELD (66 LYMAN ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, snack bar, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
- 17 miles: WINDSOR LOCKS (S. MAIN ST. (RTE. 159)). Services: public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total ||188 ||$546,220 ||$34,865 ||78 ||$60,908 |
|Local Libraries ||13 ||$36,644 ||$33,825 ||15 ||$15,366 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction ||946 ||$3,324,244 ||$42,168 ||24 ||$7,326 | College/University in Westfield:
- WESTFIELD STATE COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 4,058; Location: 577 WESTERN AVE; Public; Website: www1.wsc.ma.edu/; Offers Master's degree)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Westfield:
- HOLYOKE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 10 miles; HOLYOKE, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,747)
- SPRINGFIELD TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 12 miles; SPRINGFIELD, MA; FT enrollment: 4,026)
- MOUNT HOLYOKE COLLEGE (about 14 miles; SOUTH HADLEY, MA; FT enrollment: 2,029)
- SPRINGFIELD COLLEGE (about 14 miles; SPRINGFIELD, MA; FT enrollment: 4,176)
- SMITH COLLEGE (about 15 miles; NORTHAMPTON, MA; FT enrollment: 3,053)
- WESTERN NEW ENGLAND COLLEGE (about 17 miles; SPRINGFIELD, MA; FT enrollment: 3,285)
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS-AMHERST (about 19 miles; AMHERST, MA; FT enrollment: 21,468)
Public high schools in Westfield:
- WESTFIELD HIGH (Students: 1,634; Location: 177 MONTGOMERY RD; Grades: 09 - 12)
- WESTFIELD VOC TECH HIGH (Students: 530; Location: 33 SMITH AVENUE; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high schools in Westfield:
- ST MARY HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 143; Location: 25 BARTLETT STREET; Grades: 9 - 12)
- THE WHITE OAK SCHOOL (Students: 95; Location: 533 NORTH RD; Grades: 3 - 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Westfield:
- NORTH MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 845; Location: 350 SOUTHAMPTON ROAD; Grades: 06 - 08)
- SOUTH MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 721; Location: 30 WEST SILVER ST.; Grades: 06 - 08)
- JUNIPER PARK (Students: 480; Location: 715 WESTERN AVENUE; Grades: KG - 05)
- PAPER MILL (Students: 413; Location: 148 PAPER MILL RD; Grades: KG - 05)
- SOUTHAMPTON ROAD (Students: 405; Location: 330 SOUTHAMPTON RD; Grades: KG - 05)
- MUNGER HILL (Students: 381; Location: 33 MALLARD LANE; Grades: KG - 05)
- HIGHLAND (Students: 371; Location: 34 WESTERN AVENUE; Grades: KG - 05)
- FRANKLIN AVE (Students: 217; Location: 22 FRANKLIN STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
- ABNER GIBBS (Students: 211; Location: 50 WEST SILVER STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
- MOSELEY (Students: 183; Location: 25 DARTMOUTH STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Westfield:
- ST MARY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 240; Location: 35 BARTLETT STREET; Grades: KG - 8)
- HOLY TRINITY ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 148; Location: 331 ELM STREET; Grades: KG - 8)
- CREATIVE KID'S (Students: 129; Location: 1251 EAST MOUNTAIN ROAD; Grades: PK - KG)
- CHURCH OF THE ATONEMENT PRESCH (Students: 128; Location: 36 COURT ST; Grades: PK - KG)
- THE GROWING TREE LEARNING CENT (Students: 23; Location: 6 MAINLINE DRIVE; Grades: PK - KG)
Library in Westfield:
- WESTFIELD ATHENAEUM (Operating income: $873,407; Location: 6 ELM ST.; 114,048 books; 6,671 audio materials; 3,478 video materials; 166 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Westfield: Little River Plaza (A), Shaker Forms Country Club (B), Tekoa Country Club (C), Westfield Shops (D), Westgate Plaza (E), Whip City Speedway (F), Camp Shepard (G), Chapman Playground (H), East Mountain Country Club (I), East Mountain Ski Touring Center (J), Bates Hall (K), Parenzo Hall (L), Lammers Hall (M), Landlord Fowler Tavern (N), Davis Hall (O), Wilson Hall (P), Westfield Municipal Building (Q), Westfield City Hall (R), Courtney Hall (S), Scanlon Hall (T).
Shopping Centers: Little River Plaza Shopping Center (1), Westfield Shops Shopping Center (2), Westgate Plaza Shopping Center (3), Westgate Shopping Center (4), Big Y Shopping Center (5).
Churches in Westfield include: Westfield Assembly of God Church (A), Westfield Alliance Church (B), United Church of Christ (C), Central Baptist Church (D), Christian Church of God (E), Church of the Atonement (F), Saint Johns Lutheran Church (G), Saint Casimirs Church (H).
Cemeteries: Saint Josephs Cemetery (1), Middle Farms Cemetery (2), Saint Marys Cemetery (3), Pine Hill Cemetery (4).
Lakes and reservoirs: Long Pond (A), Round Pond (B), Doe Pond (C), Hampton Ponds (D), Pequot Pond (E), Buck Pond (F), Arm Brook Reservoir (G), Powdermill Brook Reservoir (H).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Jim Brook (A), Powdermill Brook (B), Cook Brook (C), Trask Brook (D), Moose Meadow Brook (E), Little River (F), Barry Brook (G), Alder Meadow Brook (H), Walker Brook (I).
Parks in Westfield include: Hampton Ponds State Park (1), Stanley Park (2), Allen Park (3), Apremont Park (4), Cross Street Playground (5), Sadle Know Playground (6), Holcomb Park (7), Campus Green (8).
Westfield compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Westfield:
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHYN (560 AM; 5 kW; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WACE (730 AM; 5 kW; CHICOPEE, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WSPR (1270 AM; 5 kW; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: ANTONIO F. AND HELENA R. GOIS, TENANTS BY THE ENTIRETY)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WDZK (1550 AM; 5 kW; BLOOMFIELD, CT; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WACM (1490 AM; 1 kW; WEST SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: ANTONIO F. GOIS)
- WMAS (1450 AM; 1 kW; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: LAPPIN COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WDRC (1360 AM; 5 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WHNP (1600 AM; 3 kW; EAST LONGMEADOW, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Westfield:
- WAQY (102.1 FM; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WPKX (97.9 FM; ENFIELD, CT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WHYN-FM (93.1 FM; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRNX (100.9 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS RADIO COMPANY)
- WCCH (103.5 FM; HOLYOKE, MA; Owner: HOLYOKE COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
- WRCH (100.5 FM; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WAMC-FM (90.3 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WFCR (88.5 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS)
- WTIC-FM (96.5 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WCCC-FM (106.9 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: MARLIN BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WWUH (91.3 FM; WEST HARTFORD, CT; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF HARTFORD)
- WMAS-FM (94.7 FM; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: LAPPIN COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WLZX (99.3 FM; NORTHAMPTON, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WAMH (89.3 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF AMHERST COLLEGE)
- W246AM (97.1 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WWYZ (92.5 FM; WATERBURY, CT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKSS (95.7 FM; HARTFORD-MERIDEN, CT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WZMX (93.7 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WHCN (105.9 FM; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WEIB (106.3 FM; NORTHAMPTON, MA; Owner: CUTTING EDGE BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Westfield:
- WWLP (Channel 22; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: WWLP BROADCASTING, LLC)
- W67DF (Channel 67; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WDMR-LP (Channel 65; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: ZGS HARTFORD, INC.)
- WTIC-TV (Channel 61; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: TRIBUNE TELEVISION COMPANY)
- W11BJ (Channel 11; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: COMMUNICATIONS SITE MANAGEMENT LLC)
- WUVN (Channel 18; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WTXX (Channel 20; WATERBURY, CT; Owner: WTXX INC.)
- WVIT (Channel 30; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Owner: OUTLET BROADCASTING, INC)
- WEDH (Channel 24; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WYDN (Channel 48; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: EDUCATIONAL PUBLIC TV CORPORATION)
- WFSB (Channel 3; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: MEREDITH CORPORATION)
- WGBY-TV (Channel 57; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WGGB-TV (Channel 40; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: WGGB LICENSEE, LLC)
- W12CL (Channel 12; GRANBY, CT; Owner: SALVATORE MINNITI)
- WHCT-LP (Channel 38; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: VENTURE TECHNOLOGIES GROUP, LLC)
- WHTX-LP (Channel 10; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.