Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 18,303. Estimated population in July 2005: 17,069 (-6.7% change)
Males: 8,608 (47.0%), Females: 9,695 (53.0%)
Median resident age: 39.9 years
Median household income: $53,122 (year 2000)
Median house value: $215,200 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Winthrop:
- White Non-Hispanic (93.0%)
- Hispanic (2.7%)
- Black (1.7%)
- Other race (1.4%)
- Two or more races (1.2%)
Ancestries: Irish (33.4%), Italian (29.7%), English (10.8%), German (4.6%), United States (4.2%), French Canadian (3.3%).
New! Massachusetts forum
Elevation: 36 feet
Land area: 2.0 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Winthrop
- High school or higher: 90.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 29.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.8%
- Unemployed: 4.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Winthrop town
- Never married: 31.6%
- Now married: 47.1%
- Separated: 2.0%
- Widowed: 8.8%
- Divorced: 10.5%
8.7% Foreign born (3.6% Europe, 3.0% Latin America).
- an available building or site in 30 seconds or less. /> Massachusetts. />
Hotels - Williamstown? Find Deals & Read Hotel Reviews! />
MA Apartments - Massachusetts Apartments. Stylish. Affordable. Flexible Stay! />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: MA Malden, (6.7 miles pop. 56,340).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (8.4 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (232.6 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: MA Winthrop, (0.0 miles MA Revere, (3.4 miles MA Chelsea, (4.0 miles MA (5.1 miles Nahant, MA (5.5 miles Everett, MA Saugus, (6.4 miles .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 3 buildings, average cost: $113,300
- 1997: 0 buildings
- 1998: 1 building, cost: $100,000
- 1999: 0 buildings
- 2000: 0 buildings
- 2001: 5 buildings, average cost: $103,100
- 2002: 0 buildings
- 2003: 0 buildings
- 2004: 2 buildings, average cost: $275,400
- 2005: 7 buildings, average cost: $277,400
Latitude: 42.37 N, Longitude: 70.98 W
Area codes: 617, 857
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (20.8%), Transportation and warehousing,and utilities (13.6%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (12.5%), Finance,insurance,real estate,and rental and leasing (11.1%).
Crime in Winthrop by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2002 ||2003 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||2 ||2 ||0 ||2 |
| per 100,000 ||10.9 ||10.9 ||0.0 ||10.9 |
|Robberies ||1 ||9 ||3 ||13 |
| per 100,000 ||5.5 ||49.2 ||16.4 ||71.0 |
|Assaults ||66 ||48 ||N/A ||N/A |
| per 100,000 ||360.6 ||262.3 ||N/A ||N/A |
|Burglaries ||57 ||35 ||75 ||63 |
| per 100,000 ||311.4 ||191.2 ||409.8 ||344.2 |
|Thefts ||117 ||106 ||98 ||95 |
| per 100,000 ||639.2 ||579.1 ||535.4 ||519.0 |
|Auto thefts ||37 ||39 ||12 ||10 |
| per 100,000 ||202.2 ||213.1 ||65.6 ||54.6 |
| ||141.7 ||125.2 ||N/A ||N/A |
Average climate in Winthrop, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Winthrop-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Massachusetts state average. It is 42% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1953, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 37.5 miles away from the Winthrop city center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 9/29/1974, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 22.7 miles away from the city center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Benjamin Whorf - (1897-1941), linguist, Rick DiPietro - NHL player (New York Islanders, born: Sep 19, 1981), Mike Eruzione - (born 1954), captain of the United States Olympic gold medal-winning ice hockey team.
Hospitals/medical centers near Winthrop:
- QUIGLEY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 5 miles; CHELSEA, MA)
- NEW ENGLAND MEDICAL CTR HOSPITALS INC (about 6 miles; BOSTON, MA)
- ERICH LINDEMANN MENTAL HEALTH CENTER (about 7 miles; BOSTON, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Winthrop:
- GENERAL EDWARD LAWRENCE LOGAN INTL (about 3 miles; BOSTON, MA; ID: BOS)
- LAURENCE G HANSCOM FLD (about 22 miles; BEDFORD, MA; ID: BED)
- PEASE INTERNATIONAL TRADEPORT (about 49 miles; PORTSMOUTH, NH; ID: PSM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Winthrop:
- BEVERLY MUNI (about 16 miles; BEVERLY, MA; ID: BVY)
- NORWOOD MEMORIAL (about 19 miles; NORWOOD, MA; ID: OWD)
- LAWRENCE MUNI (about 26 miles; LAWRENCE, MA; ID: LWM)
Amtrak stations near Winthrop:
- 6 miles: BOSTON (SO. STA) (BOSTON, ATLANTIC AVE. & SUMMER ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities and snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
- 6 miles: BOSTON, NORTH STATION (BOSTON, 126 CAUSEWAY ST.). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area.
- 7 miles: BACK BAY (BOSTON, 145 DARTMOUTH ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Winthrop:
- BUNKER HILL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 6 miles; BOSTON, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,638)
- SUFFOLK UNIVERSITY (about 6 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 5,291)
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS-BOSTON (about 7 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 9,248)
- EMERSON COLLEGE (about 7 miles; Boston, MA; FT enrollment: 3,697)
- NORTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY (about 9 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 19,294)
- WENTWORTH INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 9 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 2,732)
- SIMMONS COLLEGE (about 9 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 2,386)
Public high school in Winthrop:
- WINTHROP SR HIGH (Students: 611; Location: MAIN STREET; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Winthrop:
- WINTHROP MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 703; Location: PAULINE STREET; Grades: 05 - 08)
- FORT BANKS ELEMENTARY (Students: 635; Location: 101 KENNEDY DRIVE; Grades: PK - 04)
- ARTHUR W DALRYMPLE (Students: 200; Location: GROVERS AVENUE; Grades: KG - 04)
Library in Winthrop:
- WINTHROP PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $411,333; Location: 2 METCALF SQUARE; 82,261 books; 1,456 audio materials; 1,470 video materials; 48 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Winthrop: Miller Field (A), Shirley Gut (B), Winthrop Light (C), Winthrop Yacht Club (D), Cottage Park Yacht Club (E), Winthrop Townhall (F), Winthrop Public Library and Museum (G).
Church in Winthrop: Saint Johns Episcopal Church (A).
Lake: Lewis Lake (A).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Short Beach Creek (A), Belle Isle Inlet (B).
Park in Winthrop: Ingleside Park (1).
Beaches: Yirrell Beach (A), Winthrop Beach (B).
Post office: (A).
Winthrop compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Population density above state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Winthrop:
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WROL (950 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: SCA LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WEZE (590 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: NEW ENGLAND CONTINENTAL MEDIA, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WILD (1090 AM; daytime; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: RADIO ONE OF BOSTON LICENSES, LLC)
- WXKS (1430 AM; 5 kW; EVERETT, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WMKI (1260 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WUNR (1600 AM; 20 kW; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: CHAMPION BROADCASTING SYSTEMS, INC.)
- WRCA (1330 AM; 25 kW; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: WRCA LICENSE, LLC)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Winthrop:
- WXKS-FM (107.9 FM; MEDFORD, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WMJX (106.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WHRB (95.3 FM; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: HARVARD RADIO BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- W267AI (101.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: MCC BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WBCN (104.1 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: HEMISPHERE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WZLX (100.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF BOSTON)
- WERS (88.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: EMERSON COLLEGE)
- WQSX (93.7 FM; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBMX (98.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WFNX (101.7 FM; LYNN, MA; Owner: MCC BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WBOS (92.9 FM; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WJMN (94.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCRB (102.5 FM; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: CHARLES RIVER BROADCASTING WCRB LICE)
- WTKK (96.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WROR-FM (105.7 FM; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBUR-FM (90.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF BOSTON UNIVERSITY)
- WGBH (89.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WMBR (88.1 FM; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: TECHNOLOGY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WODS (103.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WUMB-FM (91.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: THE UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS)
TV broadcast stations around Winthrop:
- WBPX (Channel 68; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON BOSTON-68 LICENSE, INC.)
- WTMU-LP (Channel 32; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ZGS BOSTON, INC.)
- WCEA-LP (Channel 58; BOSTON, MA; Owner: CHANNEL 19 TV CORPORATION)
- WCVB-TV (Channel 5; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WCVB HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC.)
- WGBH-TV (Channel 2; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WHDH-TV (Channel 7; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WHDH-TV)
- WMFP (Channel 62; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: WSAH LICENSE, INC.)
- WSBK-TV (Channel 38; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WLVI-TV (Channel 56; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: WLVI, INC.)
- WBZ-TV (Channel 4; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WGBX-TV (Channel 44; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WFXT (Channel 25; BOSTON, MA; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS INC.)
- W40BO (Channel 40; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WWDP (Channel 46; NORWELL, MA; Owner: NORWELL TELEVISION, LLC)
- WUTF (Channel 66; MARLBOROUGH, MA; Owner: TELEFUTURA BOSTON LLC)
- WFXZ-CA (Channel 24; BOSTON, MA; Owner: BOSTON BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WLNE-TV (Channel 6; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: FREEDOM BROADCASTING OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND, INC.)
- WUNI (Channel 27; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WPRI-TV (Channel 12; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: TVL BROADCASTING OF RHODE ISLAND, LLC)
- WNAC-TV (Channel 64; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: WNAC, LLC)
- WHDN-LP (Channel 26; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GUENTER MARKSTEINER)
- WJAR (Channel 10; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: OUTLET BROADCASTING, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.