Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 37,258. Estimated population in July 2005: 37,147 (-0.3% change)
Males: 18,212 (48.9%), Females: 19,046 (51.1%)
Zip codes: .
Median resident age: 37.7 years
Median household income: $54,897 (year 2000)
Median house value: $218,600 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Woburn:
- White Non-Hispanic (89.0%)
- Hispanic (3.1%)
- Asian Indian (2.5%)
- Black (1.9%)
- Other race (1.4%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
- Chinese (1.0%)
Ancestries: Irish (36.1%), Italian (25.6%), English (10.0%), German (4.8%), French (4.8%), French Canadian (3.4%).
New! Massachusetts forum
Elevation: 100 feet
Land area: 12.7 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Woburn
- High school or higher: 88.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 29.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 10.5%
- Unemployed: 3.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Woburn city
- Never married: 30.6%
- Now married: 53.8%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 7.1%
- Divorced: 7.0%
9.6% Foreign born (4.5% Asia, 2.7% Europe, 1.7% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,169 (+3.2%).
Ma - Rates, Photos, and Hotel Info. Reserve Online or Call 866-90-Rooms />
Ma Hotels - low rates, unbiased reviews, nearby restaurants, maps and more! />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: MA (5.4 miles Medford, pop. 55,765).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (12.1 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (226.4 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: MA (2.3 miles Winchester, MA Burlington, (3.6 miles MA (3.7 miles Stoneham, MA (4.1 miles Reading, .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 29 buildings, average cost: $99,000
- 1997: 25 buildings, average cost: $100,500
- 1998: 31 buildings, average cost: $107,200
- 1999: 31 buildings, average cost: $105,900
- 2000: 116 buildings, average cost: $225,300
- 2001: 37 buildings, average cost: $75,300
- 2002: 37 buildings, average cost: $137,300
- 2003: 19 buildings, average cost: $183,900
- 2004: 24 buildings, average cost: $195,300
- 2005: 32 buildings, average cost: $247,000
Latitude: 42.48 N, Longitude: 71.15 W
Area codes: 781, 339
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (20.6%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (13.5%), Retail trade (12.5%), Manufacturing (11.9%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +13,336 (+35.8%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 5,017 (25.0%)
Crime in Woburn by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||1 ||0 ||0 ||2 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||2.7 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||5.4 |
|Rapes ||3 ||3 ||7 ||2 ||6 ||1 |
| per 100,000 ||8.1 ||8.1 ||18.8 ||5.4 ||16.1 ||2.7 |
|Robberies ||12 ||11 ||21 ||22 ||27 ||21 |
| per 100,000 ||32.2 ||29.5 ||56.4 ||59.0 ||72.5 ||56.4 |
|Assaults ||23 ||54 ||93 ||67 ||63 ||63 |
| per 100,000 ||61.7 ||144.9 ||249.6 ||179.8 ||169.1 ||169.1 |
|Burglaries ||75 ||87 ||109 ||106 ||91 ||76 |
| per 100,000 ||201.3 ||233.5 ||292.6 ||284.5 ||244.2 ||204.0 |
|Thefts ||681 ||651 ||688 ||708 ||681 ||620 |
| per 100,000 ||1827.8 ||1747.3 ||1846.6 ||1900.3 ||1827.8 ||1664.1 |
|Auto thefts ||87 ||96 ||100 ||87 ||96 ||82 |
| per 100,000 ||233.5 ||257.7 ||268.4 ||233.5 ||257.7 ||220.1 |
| ||131.1 ||147.9 ||192.8 ||170.4 ||172.8 ||155.6 |
Average climate in Woburn, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Woburn-area historical tornado activity is near Massachusetts state average. It is 32% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1953, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 28.3 miles away from the Woburn city center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 9/29/1974, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 9.6 miles away from the city center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Benjamin Thompson - (1753-1814), "Count Rumford", Anglo-American physicist, Nancy Kerrigan - (born 1969), figure skater, Eric Bogosian - (born 1953), actor, writer.
Main business address for: BOSTON COMMUNICATIONS GROUP INC (RADIO TELEPHONE COMMUNICATIONS), ANIKA THERAPEUTICS INC (SURGICAL & MEDICAL INSTRUMENTS & APPARATUS), SKYWORKS SOLUTIONS INC (SEMICONDUCTORS & RELATED DEVICES), DYNABAZAAR INC (SERVICES-BUSINESS SERVICES, NEC), MICROFINANCIAL INC (MISCELLANEOUS BUSINESS CREDIT INSTITUTION), ARQULE INC (PHARMACEUTICAL PREPARATIONS), POLYMEDICA CORP (PHARMACEUTICAL PREPARATIONS).
Hospital/medical center in Woburn:
- NEW ENGLAND REHAB HOSP (2 REHABILITATION WAY)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Woburn:
- WINCHESTER HOSPITAL (about 3 miles; WINCHESTER, MA)
- MARY AND ARTHUR CLAPHAM HOSPITAL (about 4 miles; BURLINGTON, MA)
- MCLEAN HOSPITAL CORPORATION (about 7 miles; BELMONT, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Woburn:
- LAURENCE G HANSCOM FLD (about 10 miles; BEDFORD, MA; ID: BED)
- GENERAL EDWARD LAWRENCE LOGAN INTL (about 15 miles; BOSTON, MA; ID: BOS)
- MANCHESTER (about 37 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; ID: MHT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Woburn:
- MERRIMACK VALLEY (about 16 miles; METHUEN, MA; ID: MA2)
- LAWRENCE MUNI (about 17 miles; LAWRENCE, MA; ID: LWM)
- BEVERLY MUNI (about 19 miles; BEVERLY, MA; ID: BVY)
WOBURN (100 ATLANTIC AVE.). Services: ticket office.
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total ||96 ||$359,189 ||$44,898 ||45 ||$23,927 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction ||613 ||$2,418,478 ||$47,343 ||216 ||$155,477 | Colleges/Universities in Woburn:
- CATHERINE HINDS INSTITUTE OF ESTHETICS (Full-time enrollment: 124; Location: 300 WILDWOOD AVE; Private, for-profit; Website: www.catherinehinds.com.)
- COMPUTER ED BUSINESS INSTITUTE (FT enrollment: 19; Location: 100 SYLVAN RD .Suite G-500; Private, for-profit; Website: WWW.COMPUTERED.COM)
- PETERSON SCHOOL OF STEAM ENGINEERING (Location: 25 MONTVALE AVE; Private, for-profit)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Woburn:
- TUFTS UNIVERSITY (about 6 miles; MEDFORD, MA; Full-time enrollment: 8,627)
- HARVARD UNIVERSITY (about 8 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; FT enrollment: 20,531)
- LESLEY UNIVERSITY (about 8 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; FT enrollment: 3,700)
- BENTLEY COLLEGE (about 8 miles; WALTHAM, MA; FT enrollment: 4,651)
- MIDDLESEX COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 9 miles; BEDFORD, MA; FT enrollment: 4,501)
- MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 9 miles; CAMBRIDGE, MA; FT enrollment: 9,895)
- BUNKER HILL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 10 miles; BOSTON, MA; FT enrollment: 3,638)
Public high school in Woburn:
- WOBURN HIGH (Students: 1,350; Location: 88 MONTVALE AVENUE; Grades: 09 - 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Woburn:
- JOHN F KENNEDY MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 602; Location: MIDDLE STREET; Grades: 06 - 08)
- DANIEL L JOYCE MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 535; Location: LOCUST / WILLOW; Grades: 06 - 08)
- CLYDE REEVES (Students: 382; Location: LEXINGTON STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
- SHAMROCK (Students: 273; Location: 60 GREEN STREET; Grades: PK - 05)
- GOODYEAR (Students: 258; Location: ORANGE STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
- MALCOLM WHITE (Students: 245; Location: 240 LEXINGTON STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
- LINSCOTT-RUMFORD (Students: 242; Location: ELM STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
- MARY D ALTAVESTA (Students: 235; Location: 990 MAIN STREET; Grades: PK - 05)
- DANIEL P HURLD (Students: 205; Location: BEDFORD RD; Grades: KG - 05)
- GEORGE I CLAPP (Students: 198; Location: HUDSON/ARLINGTON RD; Grades: KG - 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Woburn:
- ST CHARLES ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 298; Location: 8 MYRTLE STREET; Grades: KG - 8)
- LITTLE FOLKS DAY SCHOOL (Students: 75; Location: 600 WEST CUMMINGS PARK; Grades: PK - KG)
- THE CHILDREN S HOUSE (Students: 48; Location: 8 SUMMER ST; Grades: PK - KG)
- CHILDRENS CENTER (Students: 32; Location: 144 SCHOOL STREET; Grades: PK - KG)
- KINDER CARE LEARNING CENTER (Students: 20; Location: 225 WASHINGTON STREET; Grades: KG - KG)
- WOBURN MONTESSORI SCHOOL (Students: 19; Location: 33 PLYMPTON ST; Grades: PK - KG)
- APPLE TREE CHILDRENS CENTR (Students: 8; Location: 237 WINN STREET; Grades: KG - KG)
Library in Woburn:
- WOBURN PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $859,261; Location: 45 PLEASANT ST.; 71,662 books; 648 audio materials; 1,054 video materials; 208 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Woburn: Northeast Trade Center and Exhibition (A), Unicorn Office Park (B), Woburn Commerce Center (C), Woburn Country Club (D), Industriplex 128 (E), Middlesex Law Library (F), World Phenomenology Institute (G), Woburn Public Library (H), Woburn City Hall (I).
Shopping Centers: Route 128-38 Shopping Center (1), Woburn Mall (2), Woburn Mall Shopping Center (3), Woburn Plaza Shopping Center (4), E-Z Way Shopping Center (5).
Churches in Woburn include: Trinity Church (A), Church of the Living God (B), Saint Johns Baptist Church (C), Faith Chapel (D), Saint Barbaras Church (E), First Congregational Church (F), Lutheran Church of the Redeemer (G), Montvale Congregational Church (H).
Cemeteries: Calvary Cemetery (1), Woodbrook Cemetery (2).
Lakes and reservoirs: Pomps Pond (A), Whittemore Pond (B), Cutters Pond (C), Burbank Pond (D), Mishawum Lake (E), Horn Pond (F), Woburn Reservoir (G).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Little Brook (A), Halls Brook (B), Sucker Brook (C), Fowle Brook (D), Sweetwater Brook (E), Shaker Glen Brook (F), Cummings Brook (G), Willow Brook (H).
Parks in Woburn include: Rag Rock Hill Park (1), Forest Park (2), Harvard Stadium (3).
Post office: (A).
Woburn compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Woburn:
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WEZE (590 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: NEW ENGLAND CONTINENTAL MEDIA, INC.)
- WRCA (1330 AM; 25 kW; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: WRCA LICENSE, LLC)
- WBPS (1150 AM; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF BOSTON LICENSEE, L.L.C.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WILD (1090 AM; daytime; 5 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: RADIO ONE OF BOSTON LICENSES, LLC)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WUNR (1600 AM; 20 kW; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: CHAMPION BROADCASTING SYSTEMS, INC.)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WXKS (1430 AM; 5 kW; EVERETT, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WNTN (1550 AM; 10 kW; NEWTON, MA; Owner: COLT COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Woburn:
- WXKS-FM (107.9 FM; MEDFORD, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WMJX (106.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WFNX (101.7 FM; LYNN, MA; Owner: MCC BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WBMX (98.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WJMN (94.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCRB (102.5 FM; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: CHARLES RIVER BROADCASTING WCRB LICE)
- WTKK (96.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WROR-FM (105.7 FM; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBOS (92.9 FM; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WGBH (89.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WBCN (104.1 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: HEMISPHERE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WZLX (100.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF BOSTON)
- WBUR-FM (90.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF BOSTON UNIVERSITY)
- W267AI (101.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: MCC BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WERS (88.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: EMERSON COLLEGE)
- WODS (103.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WHRB (95.3 FM; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: HARVARD RADIO BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WQSX (93.7 FM; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WKLB-FM (99.5 FM; LOWELL, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- W227AM (93.3 FM; ANDOVER, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Woburn:
- WCVB-TV (Channel 5; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WCVB HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC.)
- WGBH-TV (Channel 2; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WHDH-TV (Channel 7; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WHDH-TV)
- WBPX (Channel 68; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON BOSTON-68 LICENSE, INC.)
- WMFP (Channel 62; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: WSAH LICENSE, INC.)
- WSBK-TV (Channel 38; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WLVI-TV (Channel 56; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: WLVI, INC.)
- WBZ-TV (Channel 4; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WGBX-TV (Channel 44; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WFXT (Channel 25; BOSTON, MA; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS INC.)
- WTMU-LP (Channel 32; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ZGS BOSTON, INC.)
- WCEA-LP (Channel 58; BOSTON, MA; Owner: CHANNEL 19 TV CORPORATION)
- W40BO (Channel 40; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WFXZ-CA (Channel 24; BOSTON, MA; Owner: BOSTON BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WUTF (Channel 66; MARLBOROUGH, MA; Owner: TELEFUTURA BOSTON LLC)
- WWDP (Channel 46; NORWELL, MA; Owner: NORWELL TELEVISION, LLC)
- WUNI (Channel 27; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WHDN-LP (Channel 26; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GUENTER MARKSTEINER)
- WNDS (Channel 50; DERRY, NH; Owner: CTV OF DERRY, INC)
- WLNE-TV (Channel 6; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: FREEDOM BROADCASTING OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND, INC.)
- WNAC-TV (Channel 64; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: WNAC, LLC)
- WPRI-TV (Channel 12; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: TVL BROADCASTING OF RHODE ISLAND, LLC)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.