Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 7,828
Males: 3,749 (47.9%), Females: 4,079 (52.1%)
Median resident age: 37.6 years
Median household income: $37,154 (year 2000)
Median house value: $81,900 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Fair Plain:
- White Non-Hispanic (48.2%)
- Black (47.4%)
- Hispanic (1.7%)
- Two or more races (1.4%)
- Other race (0.9%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
Ancestries: German (15.3%), Irish (7.5%), English (5.0%), United States (4.8%), Polish (2.9%), Italian (2.8%).
New! Plain, Michigan forum
Elevation: 626 feet
Land area: 4.2 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Fair Plain
- High school or higher: 80.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 18.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.2%
- Unemployed: 6.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Fair Plain CDP
- Never married: 29.5%
- Now married: 46.0%
- Separated: 4.4%
- Widowed: 8.3%
- Divorced: 11.8%
2.7% Foreign born (0.9% Asia, 0.8% Europe, 0.5% Latin America, 0.3% Africa).
Homes - real estate listings on NYTimes.com />
Home Rentals - homes, villas, and condos. Owners, list your rental for free! />
Properties-Michigan - Buildable Properties Lakefront and Wooded Acreage in MI />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Bend, IN South (31.7 miles pop. 107,789).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: IL Chicago, (85.9 miles pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Harbor, MI Benton (1.8 miles Joseph, MI St. (2.3 miles Heights, MI (3.3 miles Benton MI (4.2 miles Shoreham, MI (6.9 miles Stevensville, MI (9.3 miles Baroda, Michigan Beach, MI (10.7 miles Lake MI Coloma, (12.2 miles
Latitude: 42.09 N, Longitude: 86.45 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 269
Industries providing employment: Manufacturing (32.7%), Educational,health and social services (21.4%), Retail trade (10.8%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -1,548 (-19.8%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 328 (8.9%)
Average climate in Fair Plain, Michigan
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Fair Plain-area historical tornado activity is near Michigan state average. It is 32% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/3/1956, a category 5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 43.5 miles away from the Fair Plain city center killed 18 people and injured 340 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 4/11/1965, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 39.1 miles away from the city center killed 36 people and injured 321 people.
Hospitals/medical centers near Fair Plain:
- LAKELAND HOSPITAL, ST JOSEPH (about 2 miles; SAINT JOSEPH, MI)
- COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; WATERVLIET, MI)
- BERRIEN GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; BERRIEN CENTER, MI)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Fair Plain:
- SOUTH BEND REGIONAL (about 29 miles; SOUTH BEND, IN; ID: SBN)
- ELKHART MUNI (about 41 miles; ELKHART, IN; ID: EKM)
- PORTER COUNTY MUNI (about 58 miles; VALPARAISO, IN; ID: VPZ)
Other public-use airports nearest to Fair Plain:
- SOUTHWEST MICHIGAN REGIONAL (about 4 miles; BENTON HARBOR, MI; ID: BEH)
- ANDREWS UNIVERSITY AIRPARK (about 12 miles; BERRIEN SPRINGS, MI; ID: C20)
- WATERVLIET MUNI (about 17 miles; WATERVLIET, MI; ID: 40C)
Amtrak station near Fair Plain:
- 3 miles: ST. JOSEPH/BENTON HARBOR (ST. JOSEPH, 410 VINE ST.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public payphones, full-service food facilities, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Fair Plain:
- ANDREWS UNIVERSITY (about 20 miles; BERRIEN SPRINGS, MI; Full-time enrollment: 2,342)
- UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME (about 31 miles; NOTRE DAME, IN; FT enrollment: 10,633)
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY-SOUTH BEND (about 36 miles; SOUTH BEND, IN; FT enrollment: 4,725)
- PURDUE UNIVERSITY-NORTH CENTRAL CAMPUS (about 49 miles; WESTVILLE, IN; FT enrollment: 2,500)
- HOPE COLLEGE (about 53 miles; HOLLAND, MI; FT enrollment: 2,918)
- KALAMAZOO VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 55 miles; KALAMAZOO, MI; FT enrollment: 5,017)
- VALPARAISO UNIVERSITY (about 59 miles; VALPARAISO, IN; FT enrollment: 3,376)
Notable location: Pier 1000 Marina (A).
Churches in Fair Plain include: Saint Mark Church (A), Saint Augustine Church (B).
Parks in Fair Plain include: Napier Park (1), Benton Park (2).
Fair Plain compared to Michigan state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Fair Plain:
- WHFB (1060 AM; 5 kW; BENTON HARBOR-ST. JO, MI; Owner: WHFB B/CST ASSOCIATES LTD PARTNERSHP)
- WSJM (1400 AM; 1 kW; ST. JOSEPH, MI; Owner: WSJM, INC.)
- WDND (1620 AM; 10 kW; SOUTH BEND, IN; Owner: ARTISTIC MEDIA PARTNERS, INC.)
- WHLY (1580 AM; 10 kW; SOUTH BEND, IN; Owner: TIMES COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WBBM (780 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WLS (890 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLS, INC.)
- WMVP (1000 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WSBT (960 AM; 5 kW; SOUTH BEND, IN; Owner: WSBT, INC.)
- WOWO (1190 AM; 50 kW; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: PATHFINDER COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WYLL (1160 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: SCA LICENSE CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Fair Plain:
- WHFB-FM (99.9 FM; BENTON HARBOR, MI; Owner: WHFB BROADCAST ASSOCIATES L P)
- WIRX (107.1 FM; ST. JOSEPH, MI; Owner: WSJM, INC.)
- WCNF (94.9 FM; BENTON HARBOR, MI; Owner: WSJM, INC.)
- W210BB (89.9 FM; BENTON HARBOR, MI; Owner: PENSACOLA CHRISTIAN COLLEGE, INC.)
- WYTZ (97.5 FM; BRIDGMAN, MI; Owner: WSJM INC)
- W216BX (91.1 FM; BENTON HARBOR, MI; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- WAUS (90.7 FM; BERRIEN SPRINGS, MI; Owner: ANDREWS BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WNSN (101.5 FM; SOUTH BEND, IN; Owner: WSBT, INC.)
- WBYT (100.7 FM; ELKHART, IN; Owner: PATHFINDER COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WCSY-FM (98.3 FM; SOUTH HAVEN, MI; Owner: WSJM INC)
- WSMK (99.1 FM; BUCHANAN, MI; Owner: MARION R. WILLIAMS)
- WNDV-FM (92.9 FM; SOUTH BEND, IN; Owner: ARTISTIC MEDIA PARTNERS, INC.)
- WZBL (103.7 FM; HARTFORD, MI; Owner: WSJM INC)
- WWLV (102.3 FM; NEW CARLISLE, IN; Owner: ARTISTIC MEDIA PARTNERS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Fair Plain:
- WRDY-LP (Channel 69; SOUTH BEND, IN; Owner: WEIGEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WYGN-LP (Channel 12; BERRIEN SPRINGS, MI; Owner: GOOD NEWS TELEVISION)
- WBND-LP (Channel 57; SOUTH BEND, IN; Owner: WBND-TV LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WSJV (Channel 28; ELKHART, IN; Owner: WSJV TELEVISION, INC.)
- WSBT-TV (Channel 22; SOUTH BEND, IN; Owner: WSBT, INC.)
- WMWB-LP (Channel 25; SOUTH BEND, IN; Owner: WMWB-TV LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WNDU-TV (Channel 16; SOUTH BEND, IN; Owner: MICHIANA TELECASTING CORP.)
- WNIT (Channel 34; SOUTH BEND, IN; Owner: MICHIANA PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WHME-TV (Channel 46; SOUTH BEND, IN; Owner: LESEA BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.