Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 25,944. Estimated population in July 2005: 24,425 (-5.9% change)
Males: 11,737 (45.2%), Females: 14,207 (54.8%)
Median resident age: 33.8 years
Median household income: $27,393 (year 2000)
Median house value: $67,900 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Columbus:
- Black (54.4%)
- White Non-Hispanic (43.3%)
- Hispanic (1.1%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
- Other race (0.5%)
Ancestries: United States (9.1%), English (6.2%), Irish (5.8%), German (3.3%), Scotch-Irish (1.7%), Scottish (1.2%).Mississippi
Elevation: 200 feet
Land area: 21.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Columbus
- High school or higher: 72.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 22.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.7%
- Unemployed: 10.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Columbus city
- Never married: 32.1%
- Now married: 45.9%
- Separated: 3.4%
- Widowed: 9.1%
- Divorced: 9.4%
1.4% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -2,200 (-7.8%).
Columbus Hotels - 1000's of local Ohio hotels Lowest Price Guaranteed! />
Great Hotels at Yahoo - low rates, unbiased reviews, nearby restaurants, maps and more! />
Mississippi Homes - MLS Listings, Tips for Sellers and Buyers, and More in Madison, MS />
Columbus Hotels - for Columbus hotels? Visit our Columbus hotels guide. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: AL Tuscaloosa, (63.9 miles pop. 77,906).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: AL Birmingham, (110.1 miles pop. 242,820).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: TX Houston, (544.1 miles pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Hope, MS New (7.3 miles AFB, MS (9.1 miles Columbus AL (13.9 miles Macedonia, MS (14.0 miles Caledonia, Ethelsville, AL (15.0 miles) , MS (16.9 miles Artesia, Point, MS West (17.8 miles MS (19.6 miles Crawford,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 11 buildings, average cost: $61,000
- 1997: 42 buildings, average cost: $72,400
- 1998: 34 buildings, average cost: $100,600
- 1999: 33 buildings, average cost: $100,000
- 2000: 30 buildings, average cost: $110,100
- 2001: 32 buildings, average cost: $110,100
- 2002: 35 buildings, average cost: $110,100
- 2003: 38 buildings, average cost: $110,100
- 2004: 34 buildings, average cost: $111,700
- 2005: 19 buildings, average cost: $158,700
Latitude: 33.50 N, Longitude: 88.42 W
Area code: 662
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (24.1%), Manufacturing (20.0%), Retail trade (12.3%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +10,506 (+40.5%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 7,503 (74.0%)
Crime in Columbus by Year
|Type ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||2 ||2 ||3 ||4 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||7.7 ||7.7 ||11.6 ||15.4 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||6 ||11 ||12 ||13 ||5 |
| per 100,000 ||23.1 ||42.4 ||46.3 ||50.1 ||19.3 |
|Robberies ||27 ||25 ||18 ||22 ||32 |
| per 100,000 ||104.1 ||96.4 ||69.4 ||84.8 ||123.3 |
|Assaults ||31 ||26 ||35 ||34 ||41 |
| per 100,000 ||119.5 ||100.2 ||134.9 ||131.1 ||158.0 |
|Burglaries ||233 ||297 ||280 ||273 ||211 |
| per 100,000 ||898.1 ||1144.8 ||1079.2 ||1052.3 ||813.3 |
|Thefts ||1,359 ||1,331 ||1,298 ||1,276 ||1,113 |
| per 100,000 ||5238.2 ||5130.3 ||5003.1 ||4918.3 ||4290.0 |
|Auto thefts ||122 ||89 ||86 ||73 ||49 |
| per 100,000 ||470.2 ||343.0 ||331.5 ||281.4 ||188.9 |
| ||382.1 ||386.4 ||380.0 ||380.0 ||320.0 |
Average climate in Columbus, Mississippi
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Columbus-area historical tornado activity is near Mississippi state average. It is 130% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/3/1974, a category 5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 30.0 miles away from the Columbus city center killed 28 people and injured 272 people.
On 4/3/1974, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 21.8 miles away from the city center killed 3 people and injured 178 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Tennessee Williams - (1911-1983), playwright, Hosea Butler - College basketball player (Miss. Valley St. Delta Devils), Jarvis Gunter - College basketball player (Ark Pine Bluff Golden Lions), Julian Harris - College basketball player (Ark Pine Bluff Golden Lions).
Main business address for: BLACK WARRIOR WIRELINE CORP (OIL, GAS FIELD SERVICES, NBC).
Hospital/medical center in Columbus:
- BAPTIST MEM HOSP/GOLDEN TRIANGLE INC (2520 5TH ST N)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Columbus:
- CLAY COUNTY MEDICAL CENTER (about 18 miles; WEST POINT, MS)
- PICKENS COUNTY MEDICAL CENTER INC (about 25 miles; CARROLLTON, AL)
- PIONEER COMMUNITY HOSPITAL OF ABERDEEN (about 25 miles; ABERDEEN, MS)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Columbus:
- COLUMBUS AFB (about 10 miles; COLUMBUS, MS; ID: CBM)
- GOLDEN TRIANGLE REGIONAL (about 13 miles; COLUMBUS/W POINT/STARKVILL, MS; ID: GTR)
- TUPELO RGNL (about 58 miles; TUPELO, MS; ID: TUP)
Other public-use airports nearest to Columbus:
- COLUMBUS-LOWNDES COUNTY (about 5 miles; COLUMBUS, MS; ID: UBS)
- OKTIBBEHA (about 18 miles; STARKVILLE, MS; ID: M51)
- MCCHAREN FIELD (about 19 miles; WEST POINT, MS; ID: M83)
Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Solid Waste Management ||81 ||$240,060 ||$35,564 ||0 ||$0 | Colleges/Universities in Columbus:
- MISSISSIPPI UNIVERSITY FOR WOMEN (Full-time enrollment: 2,115; Location: 1100 College Street; Public; Website: www.muw.edu; Offers Master's degree)
- HARRIS SCHOOL OF COSMETOLOGY (Location: 540 STOKES RD; Private, for-profit)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Columbus:
- MISSISSIPPI STATE UNIVERSITY (about 27 miles; MISSISSIPPI STATE, MS; Full-time enrollment: 14,613)
- ITAWAMBA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 53 miles; FULTON, MS; FT enrollment: 2,673)
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA (about 59 miles; TUSCALOOSA, AL; FT enrollment: 17,453)
- SHELTON STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 67 miles; TUSCALOOSA, AL; FT enrollment: 3,635)
- NORTHEAST MISSISSIPPI COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 80 miles; BOONEVILLE, MS; FT enrollment: 2,628)
- MERIDIAN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 82 miles; MERIDIAN, MS; FT enrollment: 2,455)
- BEVILL STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 97 miles; SUMITON, AL; FT enrollment: 2,670)
Public high schools in Columbus:
- COLUMBUS HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,361; Location: 215 HEMLOCK STREET; Grades: 09 - 12)
- NEW HOPE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 840; Location: 3419 NEW HOPE ROAD; Grades: 09 - 12)
- MS SCHOOL FOR MATH AND SCIENCE (Students: 244; Location: 1100 COLLEGE STREET MUW 1627; Grades: 11 - 12)
- WEST LOWNDES HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 196; Location: 644 SOUTH FRONTAGE ROAD; Grades: 09 - 12)
- MCKELLAR VOCATIONAL CENTER (Location: 810 N BROWDER STREET; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high schools in Columbus:
- IMMANUELS CTR FOR CHRISTIAN ED (Students: 344; Location: 503 18TH AVENUE NORTH; Grades: KG - 12)
- VICTORY CHRISTIAN ACAEMY (Students: 336; Location: 374 MILL ROAD; Grades: PK - 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Columbus:
- NEW HOPE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 1,326; Location: 199 ENLOW ROAD; Grades: KG - 05)
- S. D. LEE MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 862; Location: 1815 MILITARY ROAD; Grades: 07 - 08)
- NEW HOPE MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 763; Location: 462 CENTER ROAD; Grades: 06 - 08)
- HUNT INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL (Students: 715; Location: 924 N 20TH STREET; Grades: 05 - 06)
- JOE COOK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 494; Location: 2217 N SEVENTH STREET; Grades: PK - 04)
- WEST LOWNDES ELEMENTARY (Students: 316; Location: 1000 GILMER WILBURN ROAD; Grades: KG - 05)
- FAIRVIEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 313; Location: 225 AIRLINE ROAD; Grades: KG - 04)
- FRANKLIN ACADEMY (Students: 259; Location: 501 N THIRD AVENUE; Grades: KG - 04)
- SALE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 252; Location: 520 WARPATH ROAD; Grades: KG - 04)
- STOKES BEARD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 214; Location: 1820 NORTH 23RD STREET; Grades: KG - 04)
Private primary/middle schools in Columbus:
- ANNUNCIATION CATHOLIC SCHOOL (Students: 157; Location: 223 NO BROWDER ST; Grades: KG - 6)
- CHILDRENS HOUSE MONTESSORI SCH (Students: 21; Location: 923 6TH AVENUE N; Grades: PK - 1)
Library in Columbus:
- COLUMBUS-LOWNDES PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $691,125; Location: 314 NORTH 7TH STREET; 96,142 books; 1,368 audio materials; 1,000 video materials; 138 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Columbus: Columbus Country Club (A), Columbus-Lowndes Industrial Park North (B), Columbus-Lowndes Industrial Park South (C), Lowndes County Fairgrounds (D), Lowndes County Riverside Industrial Park (E), Riverview (F), Camelia Place (G), Lehmquen (H), Lowndes County Courthouse (I), Beckrone (J), Hickory Sticks (K), Leighcrest (L), Franklin Square (M), Colonnade (N), Shadowlawn (O), Snowdoun (P), Taynore (Q), Temple Heights (R), Themerlaine (S), Columbus City Hall (T).
Shopping Centers: University Mall Shopping Center (1), Fairlane Shopping Center (2), Gateway Shopping Center (3), Leigh Mall Shopping Center (4), Mid-City Shopping Center (5).
Churches in Columbus include: Saint James United Methodist Church (A), Broadacres United Methodist Church (B), Canaan Baptist Church (C), Prince of Peace Lutheran Church (D), Central United Methodist Church (E), Plymouth Baptist Church (F), Pleasant Ridge Church (G), Church of Christ of Columbus (H).
Cemeteries: Sandfield Cemetery (1), Greenlawn Memorial Park (2).
Reservoirs and swamps: Norris Lake (A), White Slu (B).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: McCrary Creek (A), Moore Creek (B), Magby Creek (C), Vernon Branch (D).
Parks in Columbus include: Lee Park (1), Propst Park (2), Saunders Field (3).
Post office: (A).
Columbus compared to Mississippi state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age significantly above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Columbus:
- WACR (1050 AM; 1 kW; COLUMBUS, MS)
- WJWF (1400 AM; 1 kW; COLUMBUS, MS; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WCPC (940 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, MS; Owner: WCPC BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WJOX (690 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WVSA (1380 AM; 5 kW; VERNON, AL; Owner: LAMAR CTY. B/CING. CO., INC.)
- WAPI (1070 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WDJC (850 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- WSJC (810 AM; 50 kW; MAGEE, MS; Owner: FAMILY TALK RADIO)
- WROB (1450 AM; 1 kW; WEST POINT, MS; Owner: BOB MCRANEY ENTERPRISES, INC.)
- WJNT (1180 AM; 50 kW; PEARL, MS; Owner: BUCHANAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WGSF (1030 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WKOR (980 AM; 1 kW; STARKVILLE, MS; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Columbus:
- WMBC (103.1 FM; COLUMBUS, MS; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WKOR-FM (94.9 FM; COLUMBUS, MS; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WAJV (98.9 FM; BROOKSVILLE, MS; Owner: URBAN RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- WSYE (93.3 FM; HOUSTON, MS; Owner: JMD, INC.)
- WSMS (99.9 FM; ARTESIA, MS; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP)
- WZBQ (94.1 FM; CARROLLTON, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WWKZ (105.3 FM; ABERDEEN, MS; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WACR-FM (103.9 FM; COLUMBUS, MS; Owner: T & W COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WMXU (106.1 FM; STARKVILLE, MS; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WALN (89.3 FM; CARROLLTON, AL; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WMSU (92.1 FM; STARKVILLE, MS; Owner: URBAN RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- WKBB (100.9 FM; WEST POINT, MS; Owner: BOB MCRANEY ENTERPRISES, INC.)
- WMSV (91.1 FM; STARKVILLE, MS; Owner: MISSISSIPPI STATE UNIVERSITY)
- W213AY (90.5 FM; COLUMBUS, MS; Owner: PENSACOLA CHRISTIAN COLLEGE, INC.)
- WBEI (101.7 FM; REFORM, AL; Owner: APEX BROADCASTING INC.)
- WQTP-LP (106.9 FM; COLUMBUS, MS; Owner: RTBT, LLC)
- W245AB (96.9 FM; WEST POINT, MS; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
TV broadcast stations around Columbus:
- W25AD (Channel 25; COLUMBUS, MS; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WCBI-TV (Channel 4; COLUMBUS, MS; Owner: COLUMBUS TELEVISION, INC.)
- WTVA (Channel 9; TUPELO, MS; Owner: WTVA, INC.)
- WKDH (Channel 45; HOUSTON, MS; Owner: SOUTHERN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WLOV-TV (Channel 27; WEST POINT, MS; Owner: LINGARD BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.