Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 41,633. Estimated population in July 2005: 38,724 (-7.0% change)
Males: 19,177 (46.1%), Females: 22,456 (53.9%)
Median resident age: 31.5 years
Median household income: $25,928 (year 2000)
Median house value: $55,100 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Greenville:
- Black (69.6%)
- White Non-Hispanic (28.7%)
- Hispanic (0.7%)
Ancestries: United States (4.8%), Irish (3.1%), English (3.1%), German (1.9%), Italian (1.7%), Subsaharan African (1.3%).
New! Mississippi forum
Elevation: 125 feet
Land area: 26.9 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Greenville
- High school or higher: 68.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 17.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.0%
- Unemployed: 13.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Greenville city
- Never married: 35.8%
- Now married: 40.7%
- Separated: 4.3%
- Widowed: 9.4%
- Divorced: 9.8%
0.7% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -3,973 (-8.7%).
Court Records - Court Records, Transcripts & Resources in any state Online. />
Inn Jackson Motel - free airport shuttle serv. free high-speed internet access. />
Job Info - info on Mississippi jobs: culture, salaries, hiring, more! />
Mississippi Homes - MLS Listings, Tips for Sellers and Buyers, and more in Brandon, MS />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Bluff, AR (87.7 miles Pine pop. 55,085).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: TN Memphis, (140.0 miles pop. 650,100).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: TX Houston, (389.8 miles pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: MS (4.8 miles Metcalfe, MS (10.4 miles Leland, MS (14.6 miles Arcola, Village, AR (16.8 miles Lake MS (17.6 miles Benoit, City, AR (18.0 miles Arkansas MS (20.5 miles Hollandale, MS (23.7 miles Shaw,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 41 buildings, average cost: $115,700
- 1998: 58 buildings, average cost: $81,700
- 1999: 27 buildings, average cost: $139,900
- 2000: 24 buildings, average cost: $145,000
- 2001: 30 buildings, average cost: $109,700
- 2002: 21 buildings, average cost: $136,000
- 2003: 10 buildings, average cost: $78,100
- 2004: 24 buildings, average cost: $110,700
- 2005: 16 buildings, average cost: $137,400
Latitude: 33.40 N, Longitude: 91.05 W
Area code: 662
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (22.2%), Manufacturing (19.9%), Retail trade (11.8%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +2,626 (+6.3%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 11,727 (80.1%)
Crime in Greenville by Year
|Type ||2000 ||2001 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||12 ||6 ||13 ||5 |
| per 100,000 ||28.8 ||14.4 ||31.2 ||12.0 |
|Rapes ||73 ||49 ||19 ||23 |
| per 100,000 ||175.3 ||117.7 ||45.6 ||55.2 |
|Robberies ||157 ||162 ||140 ||77 |
| per 100,000 ||377.1 ||389.1 ||336.3 ||184.9 |
|Assaults ||149 ||155 ||198 ||139 |
| per 100,000 ||357.9 ||372.3 ||475.6 ||333.9 |
|Burglaries ||1,305 ||1,202 ||1,101 ||584 |
| per 100,000 ||3134.5 ||2887.1 ||2644.5 ||1402.7 |
|Thefts ||3,159 ||2,809 ||2,749 ||2,045 |
| per 100,000 ||7587.7 ||6747.1 ||6602.9 ||4912.0 |
|Auto thefts ||265 ||186 ||190 ||179 |
| per 100,000 ||636.5 ||446.8 ||456.4 ||429.9 |
| ||857.5 ||760.4 ||731.2 ||485.4 |
Average climate in Greenville, Mississippi
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Greenville-area historical tornado activity is near Mississippi state average. It is 121% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/17/1978, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 6.0 miles away from the Greenville city center injured 3 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 11/24/2001, a category 4 tornado 6.1 miles away from the city center injured 48 people and caused $4 million in damages.
Birthplace of: Jim Henson - (1936-1990), Muppet master, Cooper Carlisle - 2005 NFL player (Denver Broncos, born: Aug 11, 1977), Frank White - politician, Shelby Foote - (born 1916), historian, Darius Davis - College basketball player (Kent State Golden Flashes), LaToya Thomas - WNBA player (San Antonio Silver Stars, born: Jul 6, 1981).
Hospitals/medical centers in Greenville:
- DELTA REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (1400 E UNION ST)
- KINGS DAUGHTERS HOSPITAL (300 SOUTH WASHINGTON AVENUE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Greenville:
- CHICOT MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; LAKE VILLAGE, AR)
- SOUTH SUNFLOWER COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 28 miles; INDIANOLA, MS)
- MCGEHEE-DESHA COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 28 miles; MCGEHEE, AR)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Greenville:
- MID DELTA RGNL (about 7 miles; GREENVILLE, MS; ID: GLH)
- MONROE REGIONAL (about 92 miles; MONROE, LA; ID: MLU)
- JACKSON INTERNATIONAL (about 102 miles; JACKSON, MS; ID: JAN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Greenville:
- LAKE VILLAGE MUNI (about 18 miles; LAKE VILLAGE, AR; ID: M32)
- HOLLANDALE MUNI (about 23 miles; HOLLANDALE, MS; ID: 14M)
- MC GEHEE MUNI (about 26 miles; MC GEHEE, AR; ID: 7M1)
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Water Transport and Terminals ||11 ||$23,489 ||$25,624 ||1 ||$310 | College/University in Greenville:
- DELTA BEAUTY COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 121; Location: 697 Delta Plaza; Private, for-profit)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Greenville:
- DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 23 miles; CLEVELAND, MS; Full-time enrollment: 3,288)
- MISSISSIPPI DELTA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 39 miles; MOORHEAD, MS; FT enrollment: 2,486)
- MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY (about 51 miles; ITTA BENA, MS; FT enrollment: 2,297)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT MONTICELLO (about 55 miles; Monticello, AR; FT enrollment: 2,048)
- HOLMES COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 86 miles; GOODMAN, MS; FT enrollment: 2,485)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT PINE BLUFF (about 87 miles; PINE BLUFF, AR; FT enrollment: 2,801)
- MISSISSIPPI COLLEGE (about 88 miles; CLINTON, MS; FT enrollment: 2,904)
Public high schools in Greenville:
- GREENVILLE WESTON HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,667; Location: 419 EAST ROBERTSHAW STREET; Grades: 09 - 12)
- O'BANNON HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 444; Location: 1203 S. RACEWAY ROAD; Grades: 07 - 12)
- GREENVILLE VOC COMPLEX (Location: 350 SOUTH RACEWAY ROAD; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high schools in Greenville:
- WASHINGTON COUNTY DAY SCHOOL A (Students: 934; Location: 1605 E REED ROAD; Grades: PK - 12)
- GREENVILLE CHRISTIAN SCH (Students: 412; Location: PO BOX 4398; Grades: PK - 12)
- ST JOSEPH HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 280; Location: 700 GOLF STREET; Grades: 7 - 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Greenville:
- AKIN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 698; Location: 361 BOWMAN BLVD.; Grades: PK - 06)
- SOLOMON MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 593; Location: 556 BOWMAN BLVD.; Grades: 07 - 08)
- BOYD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 591; Location: 1021 SOUTH COLORADO; Grades: PK - 06)
- COLEMAN MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 589; Location: 400 HIGHWAY 1 NORTH; Grades: 07 - 08)
- WEDDINGTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 475; Location: 668 SAMPSON ROAD; Grades: PK - 06)
- O'BANNON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 453; Location: 1203 S. RACEWAY ROAD; Grades: KG - 06)
- MANNING ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 422; Location: 430 HIGHWAY 1 N; Grades: PK - 06)
- TRIGG ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 411; Location: 3304 LINCOLN DRIVE; Grades: PK - 06)
- ARMSTRONG ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 390; Location: 528 REDBUD STREET; Grades: PK - 06)
- WEBB ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 351; Location: 600 S. HARVEY STREET; Grades: PK - 06)
Private primary/middle schools in Greenville:
- OUR LADY OF LOURDES SCHOOL (Students: 282; Location: 1600 EAST REED ROAD; Grades: PK - 6)
- ST JAMES EPISCOPAL DAY SCHOOL (Students: 77; Location: 1026 S WASHINGTON AVE; Grades: PK - KG)
Library in Greenville:
- WASHINGTON COUNTY LIBRARY (Operating income: $884,692; Location: 341 MAIN STREET; 267,032 books; 4,941 audio materials; 1,931 video materials; 443 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Greenville: Warfield Landing (A), Cypress Hill Tennis Club (B), Greenville Country Club (C), Greenville City Hall (D), Washington County Courthouse (E), William Alexander Percy Library (F).
Shopping Centers: Rode Centre Shopping Center (1), Village Shopping Center (2), Goyer Shopping Center (3), Greenville Mall Shopping Center (4), Mainstream Mall Shopping Center (5).
Churches in Greenville include: Saint Josephs Catholic Church (A), Saint Johns Church (B), Saint John Baptist Church (C), Saint James Episcopal Church (D), Saint Andrew Church (E), Sacred Heart Catholic Church (F), Rose Hill South Missionary Baptist Church (G), Rose Hill Missionary Baptist Church (H).
Cemeteries: Lakeview Gardens Cemetery (1), Jewish Cemetery (2), Greenville Cemetery (3), Live Oaks Cemetery (4), Chinese Cemetery (5).
Lakes: LaGrange Crevasse (A), Ferguson, Lake (B).
Parks in Greenville include: Emmett Thomas Playground (1), Rounds Park (2), Bryan Park (3), Elwyn Ward Recreational Center (4), Fanny Arnold Park (5), Number Four Playground (6), Greenway Park (7), Frisbee Park (8), Strange Park (9).
Post offices: Greenville Post Office (A), Crossroads Post Office (B).
Greenville compared to Mississippi state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age significantly above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Greenville:
- WGVM (1260 AM; 2 kW; GREENVILLE, MS; Owner: MID-AMERICA BROADCASTING COMPANY,INC)
- WNIX (1330 AM; 1 kW; GREENVILLE, MS; Owner: THE RIVER BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WDDT (900 AM; 1 kW; GREENVILLE, MS; Owner: WILLIS BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WESY (1580 AM; 1 kW; LELAND, MS; Owner: EAST DELTA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJNT (1180 AM; 50 kW; PEARL, MS; Owner: BUCHANAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- KGHT (880 AM; 50 kW; SHERIDAN, AR; Owner: METROPOLITAN RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- KAAY (1090 AM; 50 kW; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WSJC (810 AM; 50 kW; MAGEE, MS; Owner: FAMILY TALK RADIO)
- WCPC (940 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, MS; Owner: WCPC BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WGSF (1030 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WDIA (1070 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KEEL (710 AM; 50 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Greenville:
- WDMS (100.7 FM; GREENVILLE, MS; Owner: MID-AMERICA BROADCASTING CO.)
- WIQQ (102.3 FM; LELAND, MS; Owner: THE RIVER BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WBAD (94.3 FM; LELAND, MS; Owner: INTERCHANGE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KUUZ (95.9 FM; LAKE VILLAGE, AR; Owner: FAMILY WORSHIP CENTER CHURCH, INC.)
- KZYQ (103.5 FM; LAKE VILLAGE, AR; Owner: DELTA RADIO, INC.)
- WBAQ (97.9 FM; GREENVILLE, MS; Owner: THE RIVER BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WMAO-FM (90.9 FM; GREENWOOD, MS; Owner: MISSISSIPPI AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
- KAVH (101.5 FM; EUDORA, AR; Owner: JOEL J. KINLOW)
- KRKD (105.7 FM; DERMOTT, AR; Owner: DELTA RADIO, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Greenville:
- W33BH (Channel 33; GREENVILLE, MS; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WABG-TV (Channel 6; GREENWOOD, MS; Owner: MISSISSIPPI BROADCASTING PARTNERS)
- WXVT (Channel 15; GREENVILLE, MS; Owner: SAGA BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WMAO-TV (Channel 23; GREENWOOD, MS; Owner: MISSISSIPPI AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
- K53FB (Channel 53; EL DORADO, AR; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.