Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 23,878. Estimated population in July 2005: 24,324 (+1.9% change)
Males: 11,601 (48.6%), Females: 12,277 (51.4%)
Median resident age: 36.5 years
Median household income: $34,181 (year 2000)
Median house value: $75,500 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in North Platte:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (91.0%)
- Hispanic (6.7%)
- Other race (3.3%)
- Two or more races (1.5%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
- Black (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (33.7%), Irish (13.3%), English (11.9%), United States (7.7%), Swedish (5.0%), French (3.0%).
New! Platte, Nebraska forum
Elevation: 2800 feet
Land area: 10.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in North Platte
- High school or higher: 84.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 16.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.5%
- Unemployed: 4.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 13.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in North Platte city
- Never married: 21.9%
- Now married: 57.3%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 8.0%
- Divorced: 11.3%
1.4% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +1,128 (+5.0%).
Great Hotels at Yahoo - low rates, unbiased reviews, nearby restaurants, maps and more! />
Hotels - Tours, Reviews, Hotel Maps Compare & Save on Hotels Today! />
Hotels - Official Nebraska Hotel Site Book Online Or Call Toll Free />
Deals Worldwide - Hotels, Motels & Resorts Call 1-800-447-4136 Or Book online />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: City, SD Rapid (264.3 miles pop. 59,607).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NE Lincoln, (282.3 miles pop. 225,581).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: TX Dallas, (638.2 miles pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: NE (16.0 miles Hershey, NE (17.3 miles Maxwell, NE (24.5 miles Sutherland, Wellfleet, NE (26.7 miles) , NE (28.8 miles Brady, NE (29.7 miles Stapleton, Gandy, NE (31.6 miles) , NE (34.0 miles Wallace,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 44 buildings, average cost: $92,500
- 1998: 53 buildings, average cost: $93,600
- 1999: 66 buildings, average cost: $107,200
- 2000: 51 buildings, average cost: $83,200
- 2001: 52 buildings, average cost: $123,000
- 2002: 26 buildings, average cost: $136,200
- 2003: 38 buildings, average cost: $124,100
- 2004: 29 buildings, average cost: $235,500
- 2005: 45 buildings, average cost: $152,500
Latitude: 41.14 N, Longitude: 100.77 W
Area code: 308
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (19.7%), Transportation and warehousing,and utilities (18.9%), Retail trade (15.3%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +1,425 (+6.0%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 9,143 (82.1%)
Crime in North Platte (2004):
- 0 murders (0.0 per 100,000)
- 5 rapes (20.8 per 100,000)
- 6 robberies (25.0 per 100,000)
- 80 assaults (332.9 per 100,000)
- 239 burglaries (994.5 per 100,000)
- 1,267 thefts (5271.9 per 100,000)
- 48 auto thefts (199.7 per 100,000) crime index = 381.3 (higher means more crime, US average = 315.1)
Average climate in North Platte, Nebraska
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
North Platte-area historical tornado activity is below Nebraska state average. It is 6% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/25/1989, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 2.4 miles away from the North Platte city center injured 2 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 7/27/1972, a category 3 tornado 15.9 miles away from the city center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: John Howell - 2005 NFL player (Seattle Seahawks, born: Apr 28, 1978).
Hospital/medical center in North Platte:
- GREAT PLAINS REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (601 W LEOTA ST)
Other hospitals/medical centers near North Platte:
- GOTHENBURG MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 45 miles; GOTHENBURG, NE)
- CALLAWAY DISTRICT HOSPITAL (about 58 miles; CALLAWAY, NE)
- COZAD COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 58 miles; COZAD, NE)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to North Platte:
- NORTH PLATTE RGNL AIRPORT LEE BIRD FIELD (about 7 miles; NORTH PLATTE, NE; ID: LBF)
- MC COOK MUNI (about 66 miles; MC COOK, NE; ID: MCK)
- KEARNEY MUNI (about 126 miles; KEARNEY, NE; ID: EAR)
Other public-use airports nearest to North Platte:
- WALLACE MUNI (about 35 miles; WALLACE, NE; ID: 64V)
- CURTIS MUNI (about 41 miles; CURTIS, NE; ID: 47V)
- QUINN FIELD (about 47 miles; GOTHENBURG, NE; ID: GTE)
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Local Libraries ||11 ||$34,186 ||$37,293 ||6 ||$6,370 | Colleges/Universities in North Platte:
- MID PLAINS COMMUNITY COLLEGE AREA (Full-time enrollment: 1,534; Location: 1101 HALLIGAN DR; Public; Website: www.mpcca.cc.ne.us)
- TREGO-DUGAN AVIATION INC (Location: BOX 1226; Private, for-profit)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to North Platte:
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA AT KEARNEY (about 119 miles; KEARNEY, NE; Full-time enrollment: 5,588)
- CENTRAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 158 miles; GRAND ISLAND, NE; FT enrollment: 3,730)
- FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 185 miles; HAYS, KS; FT enrollment: 4,572)
- CHADRON STATE COLLEGE (about 193 miles; CHADRON, NE; FT enrollment: 2,144)
- NORTHEAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 226 miles; NORFOLK, NE; FT enrollment: 2,732)
- BARTON COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 235 miles; GREAT BEND, KS; FT enrollment: 2,268)
- SOUTH DAKOTA SCHOOL OF MINES AND TECHNOLOGY (about 264 miles; RAPID CITY, SD; FT enrollment: 2,002)
Public high schools in North Platte:
- NORTH PLATTE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,273; Grades: 09 - 12)
- THE LEARNING CENTER (Students: 30; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high schools in North Platte:
- ST PATRICKS JR-SR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 202; Location: 500 S SILBER BOX 970; Grades: 7 - 12)
- NORTH PLATTE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 21; Location: 2607 RODEO ROAD; Grades: KG - 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in North Platte:
- ADAMS MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 669; Grades: 04 - 08)
- JEFFERSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 362; Grades: PK - 06)
- CODY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 267; Grades: PK - 06)
- LINCOLN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 234; Grades: PK - 06)
- MC DONALD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 228; Grades: PK - 06)
- WASHINGTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 221; Grades: PK - 06)
- MADISON MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 197; Grades: 04 - 08)
- HALL PUBLIC SCHOOL (Students: 143; Grades: PK - 08)
- BUFFALO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 127; Grades: PK - 06)
- EISENHOWER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 123; Grades: PK - 06)
Private primary/middle schools in North Platte:
- MCDAID ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 229; Location: 415 EAST 4TH STREET BOX 970; Grades: KG - 6)
- OUR REDEEMER LUTHERAN SCHOOL (Students: 149; Location: 1400 EAST D; Grades: PK - 8)
- PLATTE VALLEY CHRISTIAN ACAD (Students: 40; Location: 1521 RODEO RD; Grades: KG - 8)
Library in North Platte:
- NORTH PLATTE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $863,889; Location: 120 WEST 4TH STREET; 90,504 books; 1,902 audio materials; 2,342 video materials; 232 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in North Platte: Union Pacific Bailey Yard and Information Center (A), Buffalo Bill Wild West Rodeo Arena (B), North Platte (C), North Platte Country Club (D), North Platte Plaza (E), Cody Park Campground (F), Holiday Trav-L-Park for Campers (G), Iron Eagle Golf Course (H), Neville Center for the Performing Arts (I), Cody Park Railroad Museum (J), Lincoln County Courthouse (K), Lincoln County Sheriffs Office (L), Regency Retirement Residence (M), D and N Event Center (N), Pawnee Retirement Hotel (O), Craft State Office Building (P), North Platte Recreation Center (Q), North Platte Public Library (R), North Platte Police Department (S), North Platte Fire Department (T).
Shopping Centers: The Mall (1), Westfield Shopping Center (2).
Churches in North Platte include: Calvary Assembly of God Church (A), Holy Spirit Catholic Community Church (B), Riverside Baptist Church (C), Restoration Branch of Jesus Church (D), Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (E), Christian Science Society (F), Church of Christ (G), Jehovahs Witnesses Kingdom Hall (H).
Cemetery: North Platte Cemetery (1).
Parks in North Platte include: Centennial Park (1), Eisenhower Park (2), Wayne Dowhower Memorial Softball Complex for Girls (3), Cody Park (4), Memorial Park (5), Bill Wood Field (6), Kriz Park (7), Orabella Park (8), Jim Carpernter Memorial Men/Women Softball Complex (9).
Post office: (A).
North Platte compared to Nebraska state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in North Platte:
- KODY (1240 AM; 1 kW; NORTH PLATTE, NE; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KOOQ (1410 AM; 5 kW; NORTH PLATTE, NE; Owner: EAGLE RADIO, INC.)
- KJLT (970 AM; 5 kW; NORTH PLATTE, NE; Owner: TRI-STATE B/CING ASSOC., INC.)
- KRVN (880 AM; 50 kW; LEXINGTON, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA RURAL RADIO ASSOCIATION)
- KOGA (930 AM; 5 kW; OGALLALA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KIMB (1260 AM; 50 kW; KIMBALL, NE; Owner: G & L INVESTMENTS, LLC)
- KBRL (1300 AM; 5 kW; MCCOOK, NE; Owner: MCCOOK RADIO GROUP, LLC)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KKZN (760 AM; 50 kW; THORNTON, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KOA (850 AM; 50 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KSIR (1010 AM; 25 kW; BRUSH, CO; Owner: JMS BROADCASTING, LLC)
- KMXA (1090 AM; 50 kW; AURORA, CO; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KXMR (710 AM; 50 kW; BISMARCK, ND; Owner: RADIO BISMARCK MANDAN, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in North Platte:
- KJLT-FM (94.9 FM; NORTH PLATTE, NE; Owner: TRI-STATE BROADCASTING ASSOCIATION)
- K221CJ (92.1 FM; NORTH PLATTE, NE; Owner: WESTERN TRANSLATORS, INC.)
- KXNP (103.5 FM; NORTH PLATTE, NE; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KELN (97.1 FM; NORTH PLATTE, NE; Owner: EAGLE RADIO, INC.)
- KPNE-FM (91.7 FM; NORTH PLATTE, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- KOGA-FM (99.7 FM; OGALLALA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
TV broadcast stations around North Platte:
- K13VO (Channel 13; NORTH PLATTE, NE; Owner: PAPPAS TELECASTING OF CENTRAL NE)
- KNOP-TV (Channel 2; NORTH PLATTE, NE; Owner: GREATER NEBRASKA TELEVISION, INC.)
- K59FT (Channel 59; COLUMBUS, ETC., NE; Owner: MARY E. HARDERS)
- K11TW (Channel 11; NORTH PLATTE, NE; Owner: GREATER NEBRASKA TELEVISION, INC)
- K04ED (Channel 4; NORTH PLATTE, NE; Owner: CITY OF NORTH PLATTE, LINCOLN COUNTY)
- K57CZ (Channel 57; NORTH PLATTE, ETC., NE; Owner: KOLN/KGIN LICENSE, INC.)
- KPNE-TV (Channel 9; NORTH PLATTE, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMM.)
- K33FF (Channel 33; WALLACE, ECT., NE; Owner: KOLN/KGIN LICENSE, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.