Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 38,977
Males: 18,053 (46.3%), Females: 20,924 (53.7%)
Zip codes: .
Median resident age: 37.5 years
Median household income: $74,894 (year 2000)
Median house value: $317,500 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Montclair:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (57.1%)
- Black (32.1%)
- Hispanic (5.1%)
- Two or more races (3.0%)
- Other race (1.8%)
- Asian Indian (1.2%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
- Chinese (0.8%)
Ancestries: Irish (13.7%), Italian (10.1%), German (9.2%), English (7.6%), West Indian (5.2%), Polish (4.9%).New Jersey
Elevation: 300 feet
Land area: 6.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Montclair
- High school or higher: 92.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 57.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 27.1%
- Unemployed: 5.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 34.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Montclair CDP
- Never married: 31.1%
- Now married: 51.2%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 6.8%
- Divorced: 8.4%
14.6% Foreign born (6.6% Latin America, 3.7% Europe, 2.3% Asia).
Properties - International Realty Bergen County New Jersey MLS />
Ridge NJ Hotel - in Park Ridge New Jersey. Book online for room rate guarantee />
Jersey Real Estate - sell or rent New Jersey real estate. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Orange, NJ East (3.9 miles pop. 69,824).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NJ Newark, (6.3 miles pop. 273,546).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (21.8 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: Ridge, NJ Glen (1.3 miles NJ Bloomfield, (2.1 miles NJ (2.2 miles Verona, Grove, NJ Cedar (2.6 miles NJ (3.7 miles Nutley, Orange, NJ (3.8 miles West Orange, NJ East (3.9 miles NJ Belleville, (4.0 miles
Latitude: 40.82 N, Longitude: 74.21 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 973
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (25.1%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (16.6%), Finance,insurance,real estate,and rental and leasing (13.1%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -5,375 (-13.8%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 4,282 (21.4%)
Crime in Montclair by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||1 ||0 ||1 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||2.6 ||0.0 ||2.6 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||7 ||6 ||7 ||6 ||3 ||9 |
| per 100,000 ||18.0 ||15.4 ||18.0 ||15.4 ||7.7 ||23.1 |
|Robberies ||49 ||37 ||66 ||52 ||55 ||53 |
| per 100,000 ||125.7 ||94.9 ||169.3 ||133.4 ||141.1 ||136.0 |
|Assaults ||74 ||58 ||81 ||72 ||67 ||79 |
| per 100,000 ||189.9 ||148.8 ||207.8 ||184.7 ||171.9 ||202.7 |
|Burglaries ||257 ||310 ||363 ||320 ||282 ||249 |
| per 100,000 ||659.4 ||795.3 ||931.3 ||821.0 ||723.5 ||638.8 |
|Thefts ||794 ||714 ||789 ||682 ||674 ||591 |
| per 100,000 ||2037.1 ||1831.8 ||2024.3 ||1749.7 ||1729.2 ||1516.3 |
|Auto thefts ||251 ||185 ||204 ||223 ||305 ||188 |
| per 100,000 ||644.0 ||474.6 ||523.4 ||572.1 ||782.5 ||482.3 |
| ||262.0 ||231.3 ||290.1 ||256.4 ||264.8 ||234.5 |
Average climate in Montclair, New Jersey
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Montclair-area historical tornado activity is near New Jersey state average. It is 32% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/28/1973, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 19.8 miles away from the Montclair city center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 5/28/1973, a category 3 tornado 35.0 miles away from the city center injured 12 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Buzz Aldrin, Christopher Durang - (born 1949), dramatist, Duncan Sheik - (born 1969), pop musician, Isaiah Montclair - College football player (Maryland Terrapins), Jordan Fowler - College basketball player (Saint Joseph's Hawks), Joseph Lamb - (1887-1960), ragtime composer, Ronnie Burrell - College basketball player (NC Greensboro Spartans), Travis DeGroot - College basketball player (Georgia St Panthers).
Hospitals/medical centers in Montclair:
- MONTCLAIR COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (120 HARRISON AVE)
- MOUNTAINSIDE HOSPITAL (BAY AND HIGHLAND AVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Montclair:
- ESSEX COUNTY HOSPITAL CENTER (about 3 miles; CEDAR GROVE, NJ)
- KESSLER INSTITUTE FOR REHABILITATION (about 4 miles; WEST ORANGE, NJ)
- CLARA MAASS MEDICAL CENTER (about 5 miles; BELLEVILLE, NJ)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Montclair:
- NEWARK LIBERTY INTL (about 11 miles; NEWARK, NJ; ID: EWR)
- TETERBORO (about 12 miles; TETERBORO, NJ; ID: TEB)
- PORT AUTH-DWNTN-MANHATTAN/WALL ST (about 17 miles; NEW YORK, NY; ID: JRB)
Other public-use airports nearest to Montclair:
- ESSEX COUNTY (about 5 miles; CALDWELL, NJ; ID: CDW)
- NEWARK NR 1 (about 8 miles; NEWARK, NJ; ID: 3N4)
- LINCOLN PARK (about 10 miles; LINCOLN PARK, NJ; ID: N07)
Amtrak stations near Montclair:
- 7 miles: NEWARK (RAYMOND PLAZA WEST). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
- 9 miles: NEWARK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (NEWARK, ). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones.
- 17 miles: NEW YORK (PENN STA) (NEW YORK, 7TH AVE. & W. 32ND ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, snack bar, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges/Universities in Montclair:
- GIBBS COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 1,202; Location: 33 PLYMOUTH ST; Private, for-profit; Website: www.katherinegibbs.com)
- MOUNTAINSIDE HOSPITAL SCHOOL OF NURSING (FT enrollment: 102; Location: 1 BAY AVE; Private, not-for-profit)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Montclair:
- MONTCLAIR STATE UNIVERSITY (about 2 miles; UPPER MONTCLAIR, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 10,226)
- UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE AND DENTISTRY OF NEW JERSEY (about 5 miles; NEWARK, NJ; FT enrollment: 4,134)
- SETON HALL UNIVERSITY (about 7 miles; SOUTH ORANGE, NJ; FT enrollment: 7,509)
- RUTGERS UNIVERSITY-NEWARK (about 7 miles; NEWARK, NJ; FT enrollment: 6,878)
- NEW JERSEY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 7 miles; NEWARK, NJ; FT enrollment: 6,565)
- ESSEX COUNTY COLLEGE (about 7 miles; NEWARK, NJ; FT enrollment: 5,893)
- PASSAIC COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 8 miles; PATERSON, NJ; FT enrollment: 2,452)
Public high school in Montclair:
- MONTCLAIR HIGH (Students: 1,797; Location: 100 CHESTNUT ST; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in Montclair:
- IMMACULATE CONCEPTION HI SCH (Students: 265; Location: 33 COTTAGE PLACE; Grades: 9 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Montclair:
- GLENFIELD MIDDLE (Students: 753; Location: 25 MAPLE AVE; Grades: 06 - 08)
- HILLSIDE (Students: 624; Location: 54 ORANGE RD; Grades: 03 - 05)
- NISHUANE (Students: 584; Location: 32 CEDAR AVE; Grades: KG - 02)
- WATCHUNG (Students: 422; Location: 14 GARDEN ST; Grades: KG - 05)
- RAND SCHOOL (Students: 379; Location: 176 NO FULLERTON AVE; Grades: KG - 05)
- EDGEMONT (Students: 305; Location: 20 EDGEMONT RD; Grades: KG - 05)
- RENAISSANCE MIDDLE SCH (Students: 225; Location: 17 MUNN STREET; Grades: 06 - 08)
Private primary/middle schools in Montclair:
- MONTCLAIR COOPERATIVE SCHOOL (Students: 147; Location: 65 CHESTNUT STREET; Grades: PK - 6)
- DERON SCHOOL II (Students: 121; Location: 130 GROVE STREET; Grades: UG - UG)
- VIRGINIA HARKNESS SAWTELLE LRN (Students: 112; Location: 208 SOUTH MOUNTAIN AVENUE; Grades: PK - UG)
- MARIA MONTESSORI EARLY LEARNIN (Students: 30; Location: 90 CHRISTOPHER STREET; Grades: PK - KG)
Library in Montclair:
- MONTCLAIR FREE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $3,224,250; Location: 50 SOUTH FULLERTON AVENUE; 207,646 books; 7,682 audio materials; 10,386 video materials; 250 serial subscriptions)
User submitted facts and corrections:
- monclair community hospital is closed and has been for approximately 3 years added by rosey
- Montclair Community Hospital has been closed for over two years. The property will eventually be developed into high density housing of some sort.
Notable locations in Montclair: Watchung Avenue Station (A), Upper Montclair Station (B), Montclair Station (C), Alderice House (D), Freeman Hall (E), College Hall (F), President's House (G), Center for Continuing Education (H), Chapin Hall (I), Alumni House (J), Panzer Gym (K), Morehead Halll (L), Montclair Art Museum (M), Newman House (N), Gilbreth House (O), The Alexander Kasser Theater (P), Bond House (Q), Sprague Library (R), Russ Hall (S).
Churches in Montclair include: First Congregational Church (A), First Seventh Day Adventist Church (B), Saint Peter Claver Church (C), Community Baptist Church (D), Immaculate Conception Church (E), Friends Meeting House (F), Trinity Episcopal Church (G), Union Baptist Church (H).
Cemeteries: Mount Hebron Cemetery (1), Immaculate Conception Cemetery (2).
Parks in Montclair include: Tuers Park (1), Mountainside Park (2), Sprague Field (3), Pearl Brook Park (4), Porter Park (5), Nishuane Park (6), Woodman Field (7), Yantacaw Brook Park (8), Glenfield Park (9).
Post office: (A).
Montclair compared to New Jersey state average:
- Median household income above state average.
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly above state average.
- Population density above state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Montclair:
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WOR (710 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WINS (1010 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WPAT (930 AM; 5 kW; PATERSON, NJ; Owner: WPAT, INC)
- WABC (770 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- WEPN (1050 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK AM RADIO, LLC)
- WADO (1280 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WADO-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- WLIB (1190 AM; 30 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ICBC BROADCAST HOLDINGS-NY, INC.)
- WBBR (1130 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BLOOMBERG COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WSNR (620 AM; 20 kW; JERSEY CITY, NJ)
- WNYC (820 AM; 10 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WNYC RADIO)
- WWRL (1600 AM; 25 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ACCESS.1 COMMUNICATIONS CORP.-NY)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Montclair:
- WRKS (98.7 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORP OF NEW YORK)
- WMSC (90.3 FM; UPPER MONTCLAIR, NJ; Owner: MONTCLAIR STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WFME (94.7 FM; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- WNEW (102.7 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WFMU (91.1 FM; EAST ORANGE, NJ; Owner: AURICLE COMMUNICATIONS)
- WNYC-FM (93.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WNYC RADIO)
- WPAT-FM (93.1 FM; PATERSON, NJ; Owner: WPAT LICENSING, INC.)
- WBGO (88.3 FM; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: NEWARK PUBLIC RADIO INC.)
- WQCD (101.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WKTU (103.5 FM; LAKE SUCCESS, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- WAXQ (104.3 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMFM NEW YORK LICENSES, LLC)
- WHTZ (100.3 FM; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WWPR-FM (105.1 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCAA (105.9 FM; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: WADO-AM LICENSE CORP. ("WADO"))
- WBAI (99.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: PACIFICA FOUNDATION, INC.)
- WBLS (107.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ICBC BROADCAST HOLDINGS-NY, INC.)
- WLTW (106.7 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMFM NEW YORK LICENSES, LLC)
- WQXR-FM (96.3 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: THE NEW YORK TIMES ELECTRONIC MEDIA COMPANY)
- WSKQ-FM (97.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WSKQ LICENSING, INC.)
- WXRK (92.3 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Montclair:
- WPXO-LP (Channel 34; EAST ORANGE, NJ; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WNYW (Channel 5; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WCBS-TV (Channel 2; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: CBS BROADCASTING INC.)
- WABC-TV (Channel 7; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMERICAN BROADCASTING COMPANIES, INC)
- WPIX (Channel 11; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WPIX, INC.)
- WWOR-TV (Channel 9; SECAUCUS, NJ; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WPXN-TV (Channel 31; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WNBC (Channel 4; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NATIONAL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WNET (Channel 13; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WXTV (Channel 41; PATERSON, NJ; Owner: WXTV LICENSE PARTNERSHIP, G.P.)
- WNJU (Channel 47; LINDEN, NJ; Owner: WNJU LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WFUT (Channel 68; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: UNIVISION NEW YORK LLC)
- WNYE-TV (Channel 25; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- WKOB-LP (Channel 53; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WKOB COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WEBR-CA (Channel 17; MANHATTAN, NY; Owner: K LICENSEE INC.)
- WXNY-LP (Channel 32; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ISLAND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WRNN-LP (Channel 57; NYACK, NY; Owner: LP NYACK LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- W60AI (Channel 60; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: VENTANA TELEVISION, INC.)
- WNXY-LP (Channel 26; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ISLAND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WFME-TV (Channel 66; WEST MILFORD, NJ; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- W33BS (Channel 33; DARIEN, CT; Owner: CT&T BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WNYN-LP (Channel 39; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ISLAND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WNYX-LP (Channel 35; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ISLAND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- W68DN (Channel 68; CHERRY HILL, ETC., NJ; Owner: MARCIA COHEN)
- WLBX-LP (Channel 22; CRANFORD, NJ; Owner: RENARD COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.