Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 12,423. Estimated population in July 2005: 12,478 (+0.4% change)
Males: 6,249 (50.3%), Females: 6,174 (49.7%)
Median resident age: 35.6 years
Median household income: $51,237 (year 2000)
Median house value: $156,700 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Somerville:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (60.6%)
- Hispanic (17.0%)
- Black (12.9%)
- Other race (5.1%)
- Two or more races (3.2%)
- Asian Indian (2.3%)
- Filipino (2.1%)
- Chinese (1.6%)
- Other Asian (0.7%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
Ancestries: Italian (15.2%), Irish (13.4%), German (13.0%), Polish (6.8%), English (6.3%), United States (2.6%).
New! New Jersey forum
Elevation: 54 feet
Land area: 2.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Somerville
- High school or higher: 81.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 31.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 10.6%
- Unemployed: 5.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Somerville borough
- Never married: 33.3%
- Now married: 47.3%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 8.3%
- Divorced: 8.9%
22.6% Foreign born (11.7% Latin America, 6.5% Asia, 3.7% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +779 (+6.7%).
NJ Home MLS Search - the MLS for Homes for Sale in Northern New Jersey. />
Nj - Deals with Low Rates, Attractions, Reviews & Hotel Photos />
Properties - International Realty Bergen County New Jersey MLS />
Ridge NJ Hotel - in Park Ridge New Jersey. Book online for room rate guarantee />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: NJ Edison, (15.7 miles pop. 97,687).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NJ Newark, (31.0 miles pop. 273,546).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (48.1 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: NJ (2.2 miles Raritan, NJ Manville, (2.3 miles Brook, NJ (4.5 miles Bound NJ (5.0 miles Millstone, Bound Brook, NJ South (5.3 miles NJ (7.1 miles Middlesex, Hills, NJ (8.3 miles Far NJ Dunellen, (9.6 miles
Latitude: 40.57 N, Longitude: 74.61 W
Area code: 908
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (17.2%), Manufacturing (14.8%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (13.5%), Retail trade (10.2%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +4,290 (+34.5%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,149 (19.1%)
Crime in Somerville by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||2 ||0 ||0 ||1 ||13 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||16.1 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||8.0 ||104.6 |
|Rapes ||1 ||7 ||1 ||1 ||1 ||1 |
| per 100,000 ||8.0 ||56.3 ||8.0 ||8.0 ||8.0 ||8.0 |
|Robberies ||13 ||20 ||11 ||16 ||9 ||6 |
| per 100,000 ||104.6 ||161.0 ||88.5 ||128.8 ||72.4 ||48.3 |
|Assaults ||12 ||15 ||15 ||19 ||19 ||20 |
| per 100,000 ||96.6 ||120.7 ||120.7 ||152.9 ||152.9 ||161.0 |
|Burglaries ||73 ||40 ||30 ||39 ||61 ||36 |
| per 100,000 ||587.6 ||322.0 ||241.5 ||313.9 ||491.0 ||289.8 |
|Thefts ||318 ||251 ||268 ||208 ||236 ||204 |
| per 100,000 ||2559.8 ||2020.4 ||2157.3 ||1674.3 ||1899.7 ||1642.1 |
|Auto thefts ||23 ||28 ||20 ||15 ||13 ||11 |
| per 100,000 ||185.1 ||225.4 ||161.0 ||120.7 ||104.6 ||88.5 |
| ||212.3 ||232.5 ||170.0 ||171.1 ||182.3 ||247.6 |
Average climate in Somerville, New Jersey
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Somerville-area historical tornado activity is slightly above New Jersey state average. It is 13% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/18/1990, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 12.9 miles away from the Somerville city center injured 8 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 5/28/1973, a category 3 tornado 17.4 miles away from the city center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Lee van Cleef, John Mack - (1929-2004), psychiatrist and UFO-analyst.
Main business address for: TEKNI PLEX INC (GASKETS, PACKAGING AND SEALING DEVICES & RUBBER & PLASTIC HOSE), SVB FINANCIAL SERVICES INC (STATE COMMERCIAL BANKS), TRANSNET CORP (WHOLESALE-COMPUTER & PERIPHERAL EQUIPMENT & SOFTWARE).
Hospital/medical center in Somerville:
- SOMERSET MEDICAL CENTER (110 REHILL AVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Somerville:
- CARRIER CLINIC FOUNDATION (about 8 miles; BELLE MEAD, NJ)
- MATHENY SCHOOL & HOSPITAL,THE (about 11 miles; PEAPACK, NJ)
- UNIVERSITY BEHAVIORAL HEALTHCARE (about 11 miles; PISCATAWAY, NJ)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Somerville:
- TRENTON MERCER (about 25 miles; TRENTON, NJ; ID: TTN)
- NEWARK LIBERTY INTL (about 32 miles; NEWARK, NJ; ID: EWR)
- MC GUIRE AFB (about 40 miles; WRIGHTSTOWN, NJ; ID: WRI)
Other public-use airports nearest to Somerville:
- CENTRAL JERSEY REGIONAL (about 5 miles; MANVILLE, NJ; ID: 47N)
- SOMERSET (about 6 miles; SOMERVILLE, NJ; ID: SMQ)
- SOLBERG-HUNTERDON (about 9 miles; READINGTON, NJ; ID: N51)
Amtrak stations near Somerville:
- 13 miles: NEW BRUNSWICK (FRENCH & ALBANY STS.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 18 miles: PRINCETON JUNCTION (WALLACE RD.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, snack bar, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 20 miles: METROPARK (ISELIN, 100 MIDDLESEX-ESSEX TPK.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, paid short-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Local government website:
College/University in Somerville:
- RARITAN VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 3,283; Location: LAMINGTON RD; Public; Website: www.raritanval.edu)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Somerville:
- DEVRY INSTITUTE (about 12 miles; NORTH BRUNSWICK, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 2,897)
- RUTGERS UNIVERSITY-NEW BRUNSWICK (about 13 miles; NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ; FT enrollment: 30,649)
- PRINCETON UNIVERSITY (about 16 miles; PRINCETON, NJ; FT enrollment: 6,481)
- MIDDLESEX COUNTY COLLEGE (about 17 miles; EDISON, NJ; FT enrollment: 6,739)
- DREW UNIVERSITY (about 19 miles; MADISON, NJ; FT enrollment: 2,133)
- MERCER COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 20 miles; West Windsor, NJ; FT enrollment: 4,445)
- COUNTY COLLEGE OF MORRIS (about 20 miles; RANDOLPH, NJ; FT enrollment: 5,202)
Public high school in Somerville:
- SOMERVILLE HIGH (Students: 1,007; Location: 222 DAVENPORT ST; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in Somerville:
- IMMACULATA HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 862; Location: 240 MOUNTAIN AVENUE; Grades: 9 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Somerville:
- HILLSBOROUGH MIDDLE (Students: 1,238; Location: 260 TRIANGLE ROAD; Grades: 07 - 08)
- AUTEN ROAD SCHOOL (Students: 1,148; Location: 281 AUTEN ROAD; Grades: 05 - 06)
- VAN DERVEER (Students: 855; Location: UNION AVENUE; Grades: PK - 05)
- CENTRAL (Students: 599; Location: 220 BAIRD ROAD; Grades: 06 - 08)
- SUNNYMEAD (Students: 488; Location: 55 SUNNYMEAD RD; Grades: KG - 04)
- TRIANGLE (Students: 456; Location: 156 SO. TRIANGLE RD; Grades: KG - 04)
- SOMERVILLE MIDDLE (Students: 345; Location: 51 WEST CLIFF STREET; Grades: 06 - 08)
- STONY BROOK (Students: 340; Location: 136 CEDAR GROVE RD; Grades: 03 - 05)
Private primary/middle school in Somerville:
- IMMACULATE CONCEPTION SCHOOL (Students: 560; Location: 41 MOUNTAIN AVENUE; Grades: PK - 8)
Library in Somerville:
- SOMERVILLE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $576,419; Location: 35 WEST END AVENUE; 59,788 books; 3,137 audio materials; 1,847 video materials; 118 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Somerville: Central Hook and Ladder Company Number 1 (A), Lincoln Hose Company Number 4 (B), West End Hose Company Number 3 (C), Somerset County Jail (D), Somerset County Courthouse (E), Somerset County Administration Building (F).
Shopping Center: Downtown Somerville Shopping Center (1).
Churches in Somerville include: First Reformed Church (A), Church of the Immaculate Conception (B), First United Methodist Church (C), Fourth Reformed Church (D), Saint Paul's Baptist Church (E), Saint Thomas African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church (F), Shiloh Pentecostal Church (G), Unitarian Universalist Church (H).
Cemeteries: Somerville Cemetery (1), Old Cemetery (2), Immaculate Conception Cemetery (3).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Ross Brook (A), Peters Brook (B).
Somerville compared to New Jersey state average:
- Median household income above state average.
- Median house value above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Somerville:
- WWTR (1170 AM; daytime; 1 kW; BRIDGEWATER, NJ; Owner: THE SENTINEL PUBLISHING CO.)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WOR (710 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WWJZ (640 AM; 50 kW; MOUNT HOLLY, NJ; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WABC (770 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- WINS (1010 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WEPN (1050 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK AM RADIO, LLC)
- WSNR (620 AM; 20 kW; JERSEY CITY, NJ)
- WHWH (1350 AM; 10 kW; PRINCETON, NJ; Owner: MULTICULTURAL RADIO BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WBBR (1130 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BLOOMBERG COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WADO (1280 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WADO-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- WTTM (1680 AM; 10 kW; PRINCETON, NJ; Owner: MULTICULTURAL RADIO BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Somerville:
- WAWZ (99.1 FM; ZAREPHATH, NJ; Owner: PILLAR OF FIRE)
- WMGQ (98.3 FM; NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ; Owner: THE SENTINEL PUBLISHING CO.)
- WKXW-FM (101.5 FM; TRENTON, NJ; Owner: MILLENNIUM CENTRAL NEW JERSEY LICENSE HOLDCO, LLC)
- WRKS (98.7 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORP OF NEW YORK)
- WNJT-FM (88.1 FM; TRENTON, NJ; Owner: NEW JERSEY PUBLIC BRD/CST AUTHORITY)
- WPRB (103.3 FM; PRINCETON, NJ; Owner: PRINCETON BROADCASTING SERVICE, INC.)
- WNEW (102.7 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WDHA-FM (105.5 FM; DOVER, NJ; Owner: THE SENTINEL PUBLISHING CO.)
- WNYC-FM (93.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WNYC RADIO)
- WPAT-FM (93.1 FM; PATERSON, NJ; Owner: WPAT LICENSING, INC.)
- WQCD (101.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WKTU (103.5 FM; LAKE SUCCESS, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- WCAA (105.9 FM; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: WADO-AM LICENSE CORP. ("WADO"))
- WBAI (99.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: PACIFICA FOUNDATION, INC.)
- WBLS (107.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ICBC BROADCAST HOLDINGS-NY, INC.)
- WLTW (106.7 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMFM NEW YORK LICENSES, LLC)
- WQXR-FM (96.3 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: THE NEW YORK TIMES ELECTRONIC MEDIA COMPANY)
- WSKQ-FM (97.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WSKQ LICENSING, INC.)
- WXRK (92.3 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WAXQ (104.3 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMFM NEW YORK LICENSES, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around Somerville:
- WNJB (Channel 58; NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ; Owner: NEW JERSEY PUBLIC BROADCASTING AUTHORITY)
- W36AS (Channel 36; NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ; Owner: DEEPAK VISWANATH)
- WNJT (Channel 52; TRENTON, NJ; Owner: NEW JERSEY PUBLIC BROADCASTING AUTHORITY)
- WNYW (Channel 5; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WCBS-TV (Channel 2; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: CBS BROADCASTING INC.)
- WABC-TV (Channel 7; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMERICAN BROADCASTING COMPANIES, INC)
- WPIX (Channel 11; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WPIX, INC.)
- WWOR-TV (Channel 9; SECAUCUS, NJ; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WPXO-LP (Channel 34; EAST ORANGE, NJ; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WLBX-LP (Channel 22; CRANFORD, NJ; Owner: RENARD COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WPXN-TV (Channel 31; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WNJN (Channel 50; MONTCLAIR, NJ; Owner: NEW JERSEY PUBLIC B/CNG AUTHORITY)
- WNBC (Channel 4; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NATIONAL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WNET (Channel 13; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WXTV (Channel 41; PATERSON, NJ; Owner: WXTV LICENSE PARTNERSHIP, G.P.)
- WNJU (Channel 47; LINDEN, NJ; Owner: WNJU LICENSE CORPORATION)
- W54CZ (Channel 54; MORRISTOWN, NJ; Owner: WLNY-TV, INC.)
- WFUT (Channel 68; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: UNIVISION NEW YORK LLC)
- WNYE-TV (Channel 25; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- WXNY-LP (Channel 32; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ISLAND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WKOB-LP (Channel 53; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WKOB COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WEBR-CA (Channel 17; MANHATTAN, NY; Owner: K LICENSEE INC.)
- WRNN-LP (Channel 57; NYACK, NY; Owner: LP NYACK LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMBC-TV (Channel 63; NEWTON, NJ; Owner: MOUNTAIN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.