Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 9,441. Estimated population in July 2005: 9,477 (+0.4% change)
Males: 4,472 (47.4%), Females: 4,969 (52.6%)
Median resident age: 40.2 years
Median household income: $61,885 (year 2000)
Median house value: $202,700 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Amityville:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (79.8%)
- Hispanic (9.2%)
- Black (8.5%)
- Other race (3.3%)
- Two or more races (2.3%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
Ancestries: Irish (25.7%), Italian (20.7%), German (19.3%), English (8.0%), Polish (6.7%), French (1.9%).
New! New York forum
Elevation: 25 feet
Land area: 2.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Amityville
- High school or higher: 84.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 26.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 11.3%
- Unemployed: 3.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 33.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Amityville village
- Never married: 24.5%
- Now married: 51.7%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 12.4%
- Divorced: 9.5%
8.6% Foreign born (4.1% Latin America, 3.8% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +215 (+2.3%).
Virginia - Suffolk Virginia? Compare hotel prices, reviews, maps />
Real Estate Commercial - commercial real estate online. See our real estate guide. />
Virginia Hotels - Tours, Reviews, Hotel Maps Compare & Save on Hotels Today! />
Hotels - to find great deals? Compare low hotel rates before you book. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: NY (6.1 miles Babylon, pop. 211,792).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (34.6 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: Massapequa, NY (1.4 miles East NY (1.5 miles Copiague, Amityville, NY (2.0 miles North Park, NY (2.5 miles Massapequa NY Lindenhurst, (3.1 miles Lindenhurst, NY (3.2 miles North Farmingdale, NY (3.8 miles East Farmingdale, NY (3.8 miles South
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 3 buildings, average cost: $58,300
- 1997: 3 buildings, average cost: $117,700
- 1998: 0 buildings
- 1999: 3 buildings, average cost: $68,800
- 2000: 6 buildings, average cost: $42,500
- 2001: 14 buildings, average cost: $61,800
- 2002: 3 buildings, average cost: $116,700
- 2003: 3 buildings, average cost: $103,300
- 2004: 2 buildings, average cost: $194,100
- 2005: 15 buildings, average cost: $107,400
Latitude: 40.67 N, Longitude: 73.42 W
Area codes: 631, 516
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (18.8%), Retail trade (13.0%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (10.4%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +1,098 (+11.6%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 676 (15.2%)
Average climate in Amityville, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Amityville-area historical tornado activity is near New York state average. It is 58% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/18/1973, a category 2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 2.4 miles away from the Amityville city center .
On 9/27/1970, a category 2 tornado 6.2 miles away from the city center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Mike James - NBA player (Houston Rockets, born: Jun 23, 1975), Tony Graffanino - 2005 Major League Baseball player (Boston Red Sox, born: Jun 6, 1972), A.J. Price - College basketball player (Connecticut Huskies), Jason Fraser - College basketball player (Villanova Wildcats), Trevour McIntosh - College basketball player (Stetson Hatters), Tristan Smith - College basketball player (St. Francis (NY) Terriers).
Main business address for: NAPCO SECURITY SYSTEMS INC (COMMUNICATIONS EQUIPMENT, NEC), HI TECH PHARMACAL CO INC (PHARMACEUTICAL PREPARATIONS).
Hospitals/medical centers in Amityville:
- BRUNSWICK HOSPITAL (366 BROADWAY)
- BRUNSWICK PSYCH CENTER (81 LOUDEN AVE)
- SOUTH OAKS HOSP (400 SUNRISE HIGHWAY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Amityville:
- REPUBLIC (about 4 miles; FARMINGDALE, NY; ID: FRG)
- LONG ISLAND MAC ARTHUR (about 24 miles; ISLIP, NY; ID: ISP)
- JOHN F KENNEDY INTL (about 25 miles; NEW YORK, NY; ID: JFK)
Other public-use airports nearest to Amityville:
- SANDS POINT (about 23 miles; PORT WASHINGTON, NY; ID: 7N3)
- BAYPORT AERODROME (about 26 miles; BAYPORT, NY; ID: 23N)
- FLUSHING (about 29 miles; NEW YORK/FLUSHING/, NY; ID: FLU)
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Judicial and Legal ||4 ||$9,124 ||$27,372 ||5 ||$2,254 |
|Other and Unallocable ||2 ||$8,300 ||$49,800 ||0 ||$0 |
|Streets and Highways ||16 ||$60,358 ||$45,268 ||0 ||$0 |
|Police - Other ||4 ||$13,393 ||$40,179 ||10 ||$7,489 |
|Other Government Administration ||1 ||$1,196 ||$14,352 ||4 ||$2,383 |
|Police Protection - Officers ||24 ||$187,843 ||$93,921 ||0 ||$0 |
|Financial Administration ||6 ||$24,094 ||$48,188 ||4 ||$2,068 |
|Totals for Government ||57 ||$304,308 ||$64,064 ||23 ||$14,195 | College/University in Amityville:
- ISLAND DRAFTING AND TECHNICAL INSTITUTE (Full-time enrollment: 229; Location: 128 BROADWAY RTE 110; Private, for-profit; Website: www.islanddrafting.com)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Amityville:
- SUNY COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY AT FARMINGDALE (about 5 miles; FARMINGDALE, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,831)
- SUFFOLK COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-WESTERN CAMPUS (about 15 miles; BRENTWOOD, NY; FT enrollment: 3,485)
- HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY (about 15 miles; HEMPSTEAD, NY; FT enrollment: 10,842)
- NEW YORK INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY-OLD WESTBURY (about 16 miles; OLD WESTBURY, NY; FT enrollment: 4,459)
- SUNY COLLEGE AT OLD WESTBURY (about 16 miles; OLD WESTBURY, NY; FT enrollment: 2,594)
- NASSAU COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 17 miles; GARDEN CITY, NY; FT enrollment: 13,710)
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY (about 17 miles; GARDEN CITY, NY; FT enrollment: 4,074)
Public high school in Amityville:
- AMITYVILLE MEMORIAL HS (Students: 861; Location: 250 MERRICK RD; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Amityville:
- EDMUND W. MILES MS (Students: 727; Location: 501 RT 110; Grades: 06 - 08)
- NORTHWEST ES (Students: 673; Location: 450 COUNTY LINE RD; Grades: 01 - 03)
- PARK AVE SCHOOL (Students: 480; Location: 140 PARK AVE; Grades: 04 - 05)
- NORTHEAST SCHOOL (Students: 342; Location: 420 ALBANY AVE; Grades: PK - KG)
Private primary/middle school in Amityville:
- BETHESDA ELEMENTARY (Students: 103; Location: 76 PARKWAY AVE PO BOX 781; Grades: PK - 8)
Library in Amityville:
- AMITYVILLE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $1,497,179; Location: CORNER OAK AND JOHN STREETS; 105,116 books; 2,932 audio materials; 4,331 video materials; 223 serial subscriptions)
Lake: Avon Lake (A).
Creeks: Amityville Creek (A), Narraskatuck Creek (B), Woods Creek (C).
Park in Amityville: Pinehusrt Park (1).
Amityville compared to New York state average:
- Median household income above state average.
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Population density above state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Amityville:
- WGSM (740 AM; 25 kW; HUNTINGTON, NY; Owner: K RADIO LICENSEE, INC.)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCBS (880 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WHLI (1100 AM; daytime; 10 kW; HEMPSTEAD, NY)
- WNYG (1440 AM; 1 kW; BABYLON, NY; Owner: MULTICULTURAL RADIO BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WOR (710 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WABC (770 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- WQEW (1560 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: THE NEW YORK TIMES ELECTRONIC MEDIA COMPANY)
- WBBR (1130 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BLOOMBERG COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WEPN (1050 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK AM RADIO, LLC)
- WINS (1010 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WLIE (540 AM; 3 kW; ISLIP, NY; Owner: LONG ISLAND MULTIMEDIA, LLC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Amityville:
- W208AU (89.5 FM; MASSAPEQUA, NY; Owner: BEST MEDIA INC)
- W217AF (91.3 FM; HUNTINGTON STATION, NY; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WMJC (94.3 FM; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: IW LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY)
- WBZO (103.1 FM; BAY SHORE, NY; Owner: MID-ISLAND BROADCASTING LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBAB (102.3 FM; BABYLON, NY; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WALK-FM (97.5 FM; PATCHOGUE, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WKWZ (88.5 FM; SYOSSET, NY; Owner: SYOSSET CENTRAL SCHOOL DISTRICT)
- WPOB (88.5 FM; PLAINVIEW, NY; Owner: PLAINVIEW-OLD BETHPAGE CENT SCH DIST)
- WKCR-FM (89.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: TRUSTEES OF COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY IN NEW YORK)
- WKTU (103.5 FM; LAKE SUCCESS, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- WQCD (101.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WKJY (98.3 FM; HEMPSTEAD, NY; Owner: LONG ISLAND BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCAA (105.9 FM; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: WADO-AM LICENSE CORP. ("WADO"))
- WNYC-FM (93.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WNYC RADIO)
- WBAI (99.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: PACIFICA FOUNDATION, INC.)
- WBLS (107.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ICBC BROADCAST HOLDINGS-NY, INC.)
- WLTW (106.7 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMFM NEW YORK LICENSES, LLC)
- WQXR-FM (96.3 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: THE NEW YORK TIMES ELECTRONIC MEDIA COMPANY)
- WSKQ-FM (97.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WSKQ LICENSING, INC.)
- WXRK (92.3 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Amityville:
- WLIW (Channel 21; GARDEN CITY, NY; Owner: EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNYW (Channel 5; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WCBS-TV (Channel 2; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: CBS BROADCASTING INC.)
- WABC-TV (Channel 7; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMERICAN BROADCASTING COMPANIES, INC)
- WPIX (Channel 11; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WPIX, INC.)
- WWOR-TV (Channel 9; SECAUCUS, NJ; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WXNY-LP (Channel 32; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ISLAND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WNJU (Channel 47; LINDEN, NJ; Owner: WNJU LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WPXN-TV (Channel 31; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WFUT (Channel 68; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: UNIVISION NEW YORK LLC)
- WNBC (Channel 4; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NATIONAL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WNET (Channel 13; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WXTV (Channel 41; PATERSON, NJ; Owner: WXTV LICENSE PARTNERSHIP, G.P.)
- WNYE-TV (Channel 25; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- W27CB (Channel 27; HEMPSTEAD, NY; Owner: K LICENSEE INC.)
- WKOB-LP (Channel 53; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WKOB COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WEBR-CA (Channel 17; MANHATTAN, NY; Owner: K LICENSEE INC.)
- WRNN-LP (Channel 57; NYACK, NY; Owner: LP NYACK LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- W60AI (Channel 60; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: VENTANA TELEVISION, INC.)
- WPXU-LP (Channel 38; AMITYVILLE, NY; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WLIG-LP (Channel 54; MINEOLA, NY; Owner: WLNY-TV, INC.)
- WFTY (Channel 67; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: UNIVISION NEW YORK LLC)
- W38CL (Channel 38; BRONX, NY; Owner: RENARD COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WNYX-LP (Channel 35; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ISLAND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- W33BS (Channel 33; DARIEN, CT; Owner: CT&T BROADCASTING, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.