Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 448,248. Estimated population in July 2005: 472,122 (+5.3% change)
Males: 220,398 (49.2%), Females: 227,850 (50.8%)
Median resident age: 35.2 years
Median household income: $62,475 (year 2000)
Median house value: $159,100 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Brookhaven:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (83.4%)
- Hispanic (8.0%)
- Black (4.3%)
- Other race (2.2%)
- Two or more races (1.9%)
- Chinese (1.1%)
- Asian Indian (0.7%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
Ancestries: Italian (32.8%), Irish (25.1%), German (19.5%), Polish (6.0%), English (6.0%), United States (2.8%).
New! New York forum
Land area: 6.0 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Brookhaven
- High school or higher: 86.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 24.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 11.2%
- Unemployed: 4.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 32.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Brookhaven town
- Never married: 26.8%
- Now married: 57.9%
- Separated: 2.1%
- Widowed: 6.1%
- Divorced: 7.0%
8.9% Foreign born (3.1% Europe, 2.8% Latin America, 2.6% Asia).
Island Luxury Homes - Gale Sotheby's International Luxury Real Estate Broker />
on Long Island - Properties offers apartments in desirable areas of Long Island. />
Bay Homes - Through Our MLS List & Find Your Fantastic Dream Home Today. />
Island Real Estate - or selling Mike Costanza is your answer. Save thousands in fees />
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (68.9 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: NY (0.0 miles Brookhaven, NY (2.1 miles Bellport, Bellport, NY (2.4 miles North NY (3.5 miles Shirley, NY (4.2 miles Yaphank, Patchogue, NY (4.5 miles East Beach, NY (5.0 miles Mastic NY (5.4 miles Mastic,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 1202 buildings, average cost: $114,700
- 1997: 1307 buildings, average cost: $112,500
- 1998: 1820 buildings, average cost: $115,900
- 1999: 1835 buildings, average cost: $120,500
- 2000: 1393 buildings, average cost: $129,600
- 2001: 1460 buildings, average cost: $138,500
- 2002: 1390 buildings, average cost: $144,800
- 2003: 915 buildings, average cost: $152,300
- 2004: 1064 buildings, average cost: $156,700
- 2005: 2057 buildings, average cost: $177,500
Latitude: 40.78 N, Longitude: 72.92 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 631
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (24.1%), Retail trade (13.0%).
Average climate in Brookhaven, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Brookhaven-area historical tornado activity is near New York state average. It is 62% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/10/1989, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 37.6 miles away from the Brookhaven city center injured 40 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 7/10/1989, a category 2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 10.0 miles away from the city center injured one person.
Hospitals/medical centers near Brookhaven:
- BROOKHAVEN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 6 miles; PATCHOGUE, NY)
- JOHN T MATHER MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; PORT JEFFERSON, NY)
- ST CHARLES HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; PORT JEFFERSON, NY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Brookhaven:
- LONG ISLAND MAC ARTHUR (about 13 miles; ISLIP, NY; ID: ISP)
- IGOR I SIKORSKY MEMORIAL (about 30 miles; BRIDGEPORT, CT; ID: BDR)
- TWEED-NEW HAVEN (about 33 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; ID: HVN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Brookhaven:
- BROOKHAVEN (about 6 miles; SHIRLEY, NY; ID: HWV)
- BAYPORT AERODROME (about 10 miles; BAYPORT, NY; ID: 23N)
- LUFKER (about 12 miles; EAST MORICHES, NY; ID: O00)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Brookhaven:
- SAINT JOSEPHS COLLEGE-SUFFOLK CAMPUS (about 6 miles; PATCHOGUE, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,617)
- SUFFOLK COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-AMMERMAN CAMPUS (about 11 miles; SELDEN, NY; FT enrollment: 6,992)
- DOWLING COLLEGE (about 15 miles; OAKDALE, NY; FT enrollment: 3,747)
- SUNY AT STONY BROOK (about 22 miles; STONY BROOK, NY; FT enrollment: 16,829)
- SUFFOLK COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-WESTERN CAMPUS (about 23 miles; BRENTWOOD, NY; FT enrollment: 3,485)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAVEN (about 35 miles; WEST HAVEN, CT; FT enrollment: 3,081)
- FAIRFIELD UNIVERSITY (about 36 miles; FAIRFIELD, CT; FT enrollment: 4,197)
Public high school in Brookhaven:
- BELLPORT SHS (Students: 1,357; Location: BEAVER DAM RD; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Brookhaven:
- BROOKHAVEN ES (Students: 721; Location: FIREPLACE NECK RD; Grades: PK - 03)
- BROOKHAVEN ANNEX (Students: 29; Location: FIREPLACE NECK RD; Grades: UG - UG)
Library in Brookhaven:
- BROOKHAVEN FREE LIBRARY (Operating income: $425,524; Location: 273 BEAVER DAM ROAD; 29,400 books; 1,277 audio materials; 2,924 video materials; 149 serial subscriptions)
Churches in Brookhaven include: Saint James Episcopal Church (A), Old South Haven Church (B).
Cemetery: Oaklawn Cemetery (1).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Beaverdam Creek (A), Little Neck Run (B), Yapahank Creek (C).
Brookhaven compared to New York state average:
- Median household income above state average.
- Median house value above state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Population density significantly above state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Brookhaven:
- WLIM (1580 AM; 10 kW; PATCHOGUE, NY; Owner: POLNET COMMUNICATIONS, LTD.)
- WGSM (740 AM; 25 kW; HUNTINGTON, NY; Owner: K RADIO LICENSEE, INC.)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCBS (880 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WALK (1370 AM; 1 kW; EAST PATCHOGUE, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WOR (710 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WLIE (540 AM; 3 kW; ISLIP, NY; Owner: LONG ISLAND MULTIMEDIA, LLC.)
- WABC (770 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEPN (1050 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK AM RADIO, LLC)
- WBBR (1130 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BLOOMBERG COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Brookhaven:
- WALK-FM (97.5 FM; PATCHOGUE, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WLIU (88.3 FM; SOUTHAMPTON, NY; Owner: LONG ISLAND UNIVERSITY PUBLIC RADIO NETWORK)
- WBLI (106.1 FM; PATCHOGUE, NY; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WUSB (90.1 FM; STONY BROOK, NY; Owner: STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK)
- W289AD (105.7 FM; SELDEN, NY; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WXXP (105.3 FM; CALVERTON-ROANOKE, NY; Owner: JARAD BROADCASTING CO. OF CALVERTON, INC)
- WRCN-FM (103.9 FM; RIVERHEAD, NY; Owner: IW LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY)
- WLVG (96.1 FM; CENTER MORICHES, NY; Owner: WAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WDRE (98.5 FM; WESTHAMPTON, NY; Owner: JARAD BROADCATING COMPANY OF WESTHAMPTON, INC.)
- WFRS (88.9 FM; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- WBZO (103.1 FM; BAY SHORE, NY; Owner: MID-ISLAND BROADCASTING LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKCI-FM (101.3 FM; HAMDEN, CT; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMJC (94.3 FM; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: IW LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY)
- WSHR (91.9 FM; LAKE RONKONKOMA, NY; Owner: SACHEM CENTRAL SCH DIST HOLBROOK)
TV broadcast stations around Brookhaven:
- WFTY (Channel 67; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: UNIVISION NEW YORK LLC)
- WLNY (Channel 55; RIVERHEAD, NY; Owner: WLNY-TV, INC.)
- W26CE (Channel 26; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ATLANTIC COAST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.