Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 10,916
Males: 5,332 (48.8%), Females: 5,584 (51.2%)
Median resident age: 38.3 years
Median household income: $89,424 (year 2000)
Median house value: $259,900 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Elwood:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (82.7%)
- Black (5.6%)
- Hispanic (5.0%)
- Korean (1.8%)
- Asian Indian (1.5%)
- Other race (1.4%)
- Chinese (1.3%)
- Two or more races (1.2%)
- Other Asian (0.5%)
Ancestries: Italian (29.1%), Irish (19.6%), German (15.9%), Polish (8.6%), United States (5.2%), Russian (4.5%).
New! New York forum
Elevation: 170 feet
Land area: 4.8 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Elwood
- High school or higher: 89.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 39.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 16.0%
- Unemployed: 2.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 38.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Elwood CDP
- Never married: 22.3%
- Now married: 64.8%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 6.5%
- Divorced: 5.2%
11.4% Foreign born (4.1% Asia, 3.9% Latin America, 3.2% Europe).
on Long Island - Properties offers apartments in desirable areas of Long Island. />
Real Estate - - featured real estate listings, condos, land, and homes for sale. />
NY Real Estate - Help From A Local Expert, Scout Neighborhoods, Mortgages & More />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: NY (5.8 miles Huntington, pop. 195,289).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NY (10.5 miles Babylon, pop. 211,792).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (41.2 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: NY (2.3 miles Greenlawn, Northport, NY (2.4 miles East Hills, NY (3.4 miles Dix NY (3.6 miles Commack, NY (4.0 miles Northport, NY (4.4 miles Centerport, Salonga, NY (4.8 miles Fort Huntington, NY (4.9 miles South
Latitude: 40.85 N, Longitude: 73.34 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 631
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (20.9%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (12.4%), Retail trade (12.3%), Finance,insurance,real estate,and rental and leasing (11.3%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -2,163 (-19.8%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 428 (8.1%)
Average climate in Elwood, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Elwood-area historical tornado activity is slightly above New York state average. It is 51% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/10/1989, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 43.5 miles away from the Elwood city center injured 40 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 9/18/1973, a category 2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 14.5 miles away from the city center .
Hospitals/medical centers near Elwood:
- HUNTINGTON HOSPITAL (about 6 miles; HUNTINGTON, NY)
- PILGRIM STATE HOSP (about 8 miles; WEST BRENTWOOD, NY)
- ST CATHERINE OF SIENA MEDICAL CENTER (about 9 miles; SMITHTOWN, NY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Elwood:
- REPUBLIC (about 10 miles; FARMINGDALE, NY; ID: FRG)
- LONG ISLAND MAC ARTHUR (about 17 miles; ISLIP, NY; ID: ISP)
- IGOR I SIKORSKY MEMORIAL (about 26 miles; BRIDGEPORT, CT; ID: BDR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Elwood:
- BAYPORT AERODROME (about 21 miles; BAYPORT, NY; ID: 23N)
- SANDS POINT (about 26 miles; PORT WASHINGTON, NY; ID: 7N3)
- WESTCHESTER COUNTY (about 30 miles; WHITE PLAINS, NY; ID: HPN)
Amtrak station near Elwood:
- 20 miles: STAMFORD (WASHINGTON BLVD. & E. STATE ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Elwood:
- SUFFOLK COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-WESTERN CAMPUS (about 8 miles; BRENTWOOD, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,485)
- SUNY COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY AT FARMINGDALE (about 12 miles; FARMINGDALE, NY; FT enrollment: 3,831)
- DOWLING COLLEGE (about 17 miles; OAKDALE, NY; FT enrollment: 3,747)
- NORWALK COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 19 miles; NORWALK, CT; FT enrollment: 2,772)
- NEW YORK INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY-OLD WESTBURY (about 19 miles; OLD WESTBURY, NY; FT enrollment: 4,459)
- SUNY COLLEGE AT OLD WESTBURY (about 19 miles; OLD WESTBURY, NY; FT enrollment: 2,594)
- HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY (about 20 miles; HEMPSTEAD, NY; FT enrollment: 10,842)
Public high school in Elwood:
- ELWOOD/JOHN GLENN HS (Students: 664; Location: 478 ELWOOD RD; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Elwood:
- ELWOOD MS (Students: 604; Location: 478 ELWOOD RD; Grades: 06 - 08)
- HARLEY AVE ES (Students: 597; Location: 30 HARLEY AVE; Grades: KG - 02)
Parks in Elwood include: Elwood Park (1), Pitts Park (2).
Elwood compared to New York state average:
- Median household income significantly above state average.
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Elwood:
- WGSM (740 AM; 25 kW; HUNTINGTON, NY; Owner: K RADIO LICENSEE, INC.)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCBS (880 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WLIE (540 AM; 3 kW; ISLIP, NY; Owner: LONG ISLAND MULTIMEDIA, LLC.)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WOR (710 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WABC (770 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- WQEW (1560 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: THE NEW YORK TIMES ELECTRONIC MEDIA COMPANY)
- WHLI (1100 AM; daytime; 10 kW; HEMPSTEAD, NY)
- WBBR (1130 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BLOOMBERG COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WEPN (1050 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK AM RADIO, LLC)
- WINS (1010 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WADO (1280 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WADO-AM LICENSE CORP.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Elwood:
- WMJC (94.3 FM; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: IW LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY)
- WBAB (102.3 FM; BABYLON, NY; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- W217AF (91.3 FM; HUNTINGTON STATION, NY; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WBZO (103.1 FM; BAY SHORE, NY; Owner: MID-ISLAND BROADCASTING LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WALK-FM (97.5 FM; PATCHOGUE, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WFRS (88.9 FM; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- WKWZ (88.5 FM; SYOSSET, NY; Owner: SYOSSET CENTRAL SCHOOL DISTRICT)
- WPOB (88.5 FM; PLAINVIEW, NY; Owner: PLAINVIEW-OLD BETHPAGE CENT SCH DIST)
- WUSB (90.1 FM; STONY BROOK, NY; Owner: STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK)
- WPLJ (95.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WPLJ-FM RADIO, INC.)
- WKCR-FM (89.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: TRUSTEES OF COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY IN NEW YORK)
- WKTU (103.5 FM; LAKE SUCCESS, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- WQCD (101.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WBLI (106.1 FM; PATCHOGUE, NY; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WCAA (105.9 FM; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: WADO-AM LICENSE CORP. ("WADO"))
- W289AD (105.7 FM; SELDEN, NY; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WAXQ (104.3 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMFM NEW YORK LICENSES, LLC)
- WHTZ (100.3 FM; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WWPR-FM (105.1 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WBAI (99.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: PACIFICA FOUNDATION, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Elwood:
- WLIW (Channel 21; GARDEN CITY, NY; Owner: EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNYW (Channel 5; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WCBS-TV (Channel 2; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: CBS BROADCASTING INC.)
- WABC-TV (Channel 7; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMERICAN BROADCASTING COMPANIES, INC)
- WPIX (Channel 11; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WPIX, INC.)
- WWOR-TV (Channel 9; SECAUCUS, NJ; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WXNY-LP (Channel 32; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ISLAND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WNJU (Channel 47; LINDEN, NJ; Owner: WNJU LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WPXN-TV (Channel 31; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WFUT (Channel 68; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: UNIVISION NEW YORK LLC)
- WNBC (Channel 4; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NATIONAL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WNET (Channel 13; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WXTV (Channel 41; PATERSON, NJ; Owner: WXTV LICENSE PARTNERSHIP, G.P.)
- WFTY (Channel 67; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: UNIVISION NEW YORK LLC)
- WNYE-TV (Channel 25; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- W27CB (Channel 27; HEMPSTEAD, NY; Owner: K LICENSEE INC.)
- WKOB-LP (Channel 53; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WKOB COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WEBR-CA (Channel 17; MANHATTAN, NY; Owner: K LICENSEE INC.)
- WRNN-LP (Channel 57; NYACK, NY; Owner: LP NYACK LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WLNY (Channel 55; RIVERHEAD, NY; Owner: WLNY-TV, INC.)
- W60AI (Channel 60; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: VENTANA TELEVISION, INC.)
- W38CL (Channel 38; BRONX, NY; Owner: RENARD COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WPXU-LP (Channel 38; AMITYVILLE, NY; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WLIG-LP (Channel 54; MINEOLA, NY; Owner: WLNY-TV, INC.)
- W27CD (Channel 27; STAMFORD, CT; Owner: WLNY-TV, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.