Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 322,612. Estimated population in July 2005: 329,580 (+2.2% change)
Males: 158,581 (49.2%), Females: 164,031 (50.8%)
Median resident age: 35.0 years
Median household income: $65,359 (year 2000)
Median house value: $169,700 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Islip:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (67.5%)
- Hispanic (20.2%)
- Black (9.0%)
- Other race (8.3%)
- Two or more races (2.9%)
- Asian Indian (0.9%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
Ancestries: Italian (25.9%), Irish (21.6%), German (14.8%), English (4.5%), Polish (4.4%), United States (2.8%).
New! New York forum
Elevation: 16 feet
Land area: 5.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Islip
- High school or higher: 83.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 21.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.8%
- Unemployed: 3.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 31.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Islip town
- Never married: 27.2%
- Now married: 57.1%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 6.0%
- Divorced: 7.2%
14.6% Foreign born (10.1% Latin America, 2.2% Europe, 1.9% Asia).
Homes of LI - MLS 17,000 listings and our exclusives. Recieve daily updates. />
on Long Island - Properties offers apartments in desirable areas of Long Island. />
Real Estate - - featured real estate listings, condos, land, and homes for sale. />
Island Luxury Homes - Gale Sotheby's International Luxury Real Estate Broker />
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (48.0 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: NY Islip, (0.0 miles Islip, NY (2.4 miles East Terrace, NY (2.4 miles Islip Shore, NY Bay (2.4 miles Bay Shore, NY (3.2 miles North NY (3.4 miles Brightwaters, NY (3.5 miles Brentwood, Great River, NY (3.5 miles North
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 288 buildings, average cost: $114,700
- 1997: 332 buildings, average cost: $112,900
- 1998: 469 buildings, average cost: $115,600
- 1999: 317 buildings, average cost: $120,700
- 2000: 360 buildings, average cost: $129,500
- 2001: 213 buildings, average cost: $138,400
- 2002: 184 buildings, average cost: $146,400
- 2003: 220 buildings, average cost: $151,700
- 2004: 231 buildings, average cost: $160,900
- 2005: 513 buildings, average cost: $174,900
Latitude: 40.74 N, Longitude: 73.22 W
Area code: 631
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (21.3%), Manufacturing (13.4%), Retail trade (11.3%).
Average climate in Islip, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Islip-area historical tornado activity is near New York state average. It is 58% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/10/1989, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 45.2 miles away from the Islip city center injured 40 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 9/18/1973, a category 2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 16.5 miles away from the city center .
Birthplace of: Steve Hyland - College football player (Bucknell Bison).
Hospitals/medical centers near Islip:
- SOUTHSIDE HOSPITAL (about 3 miles; BAY SHORE, NY)
- PILGRIM STATE HOSP (about 4 miles; WEST BRENTWOOD, NY)
- GOOD SAMARITAN HOSPITAL (about 6 miles; WEST ISLIP, NY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Islip:
- LONG ISLAND MAC ARTHUR (about 9 miles; ISLIP, NY; ID: ISP)
- REPUBLIC (about 13 miles; FARMINGDALE, NY; ID: FRG)
- IGOR I SIKORSKY MEMORIAL (about 30 miles; BRIDGEPORT, CT; ID: BDR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Islip:
- BAYPORT AERODROME (about 12 miles; BAYPORT, NY; ID: 23N)
- BROOKHAVEN (about 27 miles; SHIRLEY, NY; ID: HWV)
- LUFKER (about 33 miles; EAST MORICHES, NY; ID: O00)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Islip:
- SUFFOLK COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-WESTERN CAMPUS (about 4 miles; BRENTWOOD, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,485)
- DOWLING COLLEGE (about 7 miles; OAKDALE, NY; FT enrollment: 3,747)
- SAINT JOSEPHS COLLEGE-SUFFOLK CAMPUS (about 16 miles; PATCHOGUE, NY; FT enrollment: 2,617)
- SUFFOLK COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-AMMERMAN CAMPUS (about 16 miles; SELDEN, NY; FT enrollment: 6,992)
- SUNY COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY AT FARMINGDALE (about 16 miles; FARMINGDALE, NY; FT enrollment: 3,831)
- HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY (about 27 miles; HEMPSTEAD, NY; FT enrollment: 10,842)
- NEW YORK INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY-OLD WESTBURY (about 27 miles; OLD WESTBURY, NY; FT enrollment: 4,459)
Public high school in Islip:
- ISLIP HS (Students: 1,085; Location: 2508 UNION BOULEVARD; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Islip:
- ISLIP MS (Students: 885; Location: 211 MAIN ST; Grades: 06 - 08)
- COMMACK ROAD ES (Students: 654; Location: 300 COMMACK ROAD; Grades: 02 - 05)
- WING ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 566; Location: WINGANHAUPPAUGE ROAD; Grades: KG - 01)
- MAUD S. SHERWOOD ES (Students: 446; Location: 301 SMITH AVENUE; Grades: 02 - 05)
Library in Islip:
- ISLIP PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $1,895,222; Location: 71 MONELL AVENUE; 142,861 books; 4,117 audio materials; 4,311 video materials; 1,982 serial subscriptions)
Notable location: Islip Speedway (A).
Lakes: Upper Winganhauppauge Lake (A), Lower Winganhauppauge Lake (B), Orowoc Lake (C), Pardees Ponds (D).
Creek: Champlin Creek (A).
Beach: Town Beach (A).
Islip compared to New York state average:
- Median household income above state average.
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Number of rooms per house above state average.
- Population density significantly above state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Islip:
- WLIE (540 AM; 3 kW; ISLIP, NY; Owner: LONG ISLAND MULTIMEDIA, LLC.)
- WGSM (740 AM; 25 kW; HUNTINGTON, NY; Owner: K RADIO LICENSEE, INC.)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCBS (880 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WLIM (1580 AM; 10 kW; PATCHOGUE, NY; Owner: POLNET COMMUNICATIONS, LTD.)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WOR (710 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WABC (770 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- WQEW (1560 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: THE NEW YORK TIMES ELECTRONIC MEDIA COMPANY)
- WBBR (1130 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BLOOMBERG COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WEPN (1050 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK AM RADIO, LLC)
- WINS (1010 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WHLI (1100 AM; daytime; 10 kW; HEMPSTEAD, NY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Islip:
- WBZO (103.1 FM; BAY SHORE, NY; Owner: MID-ISLAND BROADCASTING LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WFRS (88.9 FM; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- WMJC (94.3 FM; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: IW LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY)
- WALK-FM (97.5 FM; PATCHOGUE, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WXBA (88.1 FM; BRENTWOOD, NY; Owner: BRENTWOOD UNION FREE SCHOOL DISTRICT)
- W217AF (91.3 FM; HUNTINGTON STATION, NY; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WUSB (90.1 FM; STONY BROOK, NY; Owner: STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK)
- WBAB (102.3 FM; BABYLON, NY; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WBLI (106.1 FM; PATCHOGUE, NY; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- W289AD (105.7 FM; SELDEN, NY; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WSHR (91.9 FM; LAKE RONKONKOMA, NY; Owner: SACHEM CENTRAL SCH DIST HOLBROOK)
- WKCR-FM (89.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: TRUSTEES OF COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY IN NEW YORK)
- WLIU (88.3 FM; SOUTHAMPTON, NY; Owner: LONG ISLAND UNIVERSITY PUBLIC RADIO NETWORK)
- WKTU (103.5 FM; LAKE SUCCESS, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- WQCD (101.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WPLJ (95.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WPLJ-FM RADIO, INC.)
- WKWZ (88.5 FM; SYOSSET, NY; Owner: SYOSSET CENTRAL SCHOOL DISTRICT)
- WPOB (88.5 FM; PLAINVIEW, NY; Owner: PLAINVIEW-OLD BETHPAGE CENT SCH DIST)
TV broadcast stations around Islip:
- WNYW (Channel 5; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WFTY (Channel 67; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: UNIVISION NEW YORK LLC)
- WCBS-TV (Channel 2; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: CBS BROADCASTING INC.)
- WLNY (Channel 55; RIVERHEAD, NY; Owner: WLNY-TV, INC.)
- WNJU (Channel 47; LINDEN, NJ; Owner: WNJU LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WXNY-LP (Channel 32; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ISLAND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WPXN-TV (Channel 31; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WFUT (Channel 68; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: UNIVISION NEW YORK LLC)
- WLIW (Channel 21; GARDEN CITY, NY; Owner: EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- W27CB (Channel 27; HEMPSTEAD, NY; Owner: K LICENSEE INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.