Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 14,533
Males: 7,066 (48.6%), Females: 7,467 (51.4%)
Median resident age: 39.1 years
Median household income: $92,527 (year 2000)
Median house value: $336,800 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Melville:
- White Non-Hispanic (87.5%)
- Hispanic (3.7%)
- Asian Indian (2.1%)
- Black (2.1%)
- Chinese (1.5%)
- Two or more races (1.4%)
- Other race (1.0%)
- Korean (0.7%)
- Other Asian (0.6%)
Ancestries: Italian (26.6%), Irish (10.8%), German (10.7%), Russian (8.2%), Polish (6.6%), United States (5.5%).
New! New York forum
Elevation: 160 feet
Land area: 11.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Melville
- High school or higher: 92.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 48.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 23.6%
- Unemployed: 3.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 34.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Melville CDP
- Never married: 20.3%
- Now married: 66.8%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 7.1%
- Divorced: 4.6%
10.4% Foreign born (4.3% Asia, 3.2% Europe, 1.9% Latin America).
NY Real Estate - All Woodbury Listings Complimentary home market valuation />
on Long Island - Properties offers apartments in desirable areas of Long Island. />
Island Luxury Homes - Gale Sotheby's International Luxury Real Estate Broker />
Nassau Foreclosures - Free Nassau Foreclosure Lists Bank and Government Foreclosures />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: NY (6.0 miles Huntington, pop. 195,289).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NY (8.5 miles Babylon, pop. 211,792).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (35.7 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: Huntington, NY (2.1 miles South Hills, NY (3.0 miles West Heights, NY (3.3 miles Wheatley Station, NY (3.7 miles Huntington Bethpage, NY (4.0 miles Old NY (4.0 miles Wyandanch, NY (4.6 miles Woodbury, .
Latitude: 40.79 N, Longitude: 73.41 W
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (24.9%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (14.3%), Finance,insurance,real estate,and rental and leasing (12.4%), Retail trade (10.1%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +27,826 (+191.5%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,040 (15.6%)
Average climate in Melville, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Melville-area historical tornado activity is slightly above New York state average. It is 52% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/10/1989, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 49.5 miles away from the Melville city center injured 40 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 9/18/1973, a category 2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 8.9 miles away from the city center .
Main business address for: PHASE III MEDICAL INC/DE (INSURANCE CARRIERS, NEC), FALCONSTOR SOFTWARE INC (SERVICES-PREPACKAGED SOFTWARE), HAIN CELESTIAL GROUP INC (FOOD & KINDRED PRODUCTS), RECKSON OPERATING PARTNERSHIP LP (REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT TRUSTS), OSI PHARMACEUTICALS INC (IN VITRO & IN VIVO DIAGNOSTIC SUBSTANCES), GENTIVA HEALTH SERVICES INC (SERVICES-HOME HEALTH CARE SERVICES), NORTH FORK BANCORPORATION INC (STATE COMMERCIAL BANKS), FONAR CORP (ELECTROMEDICAL & ELECTROTHERAPEUTIC APPARATUS) and 13 other public companies.
Hospitals/medical centers near Melville:
- NORTH SHORE UNIV HOSP AT PLAINVIEW (about 6 miles; PLAINVIEW, NY)
- HUNTINGTON HOSPITAL (about 6 miles; HUNTINGTON, NY)
- NEW ISLAND HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; BETHPAGE, NY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Melville:
- REPUBLIC (about 6 miles; FARMINGDALE, NY; ID: FRG)
- LONG ISLAND MAC ARTHUR (about 22 miles; ISLIP, NY; ID: ISP)
- JOHN F KENNEDY INTL (about 28 miles; NEW YORK, NY; ID: JFK)
Other public-use airports nearest to Melville:
- SANDS POINT (about 21 miles; PORT WASHINGTON, NY; ID: 7N3)
- BAYPORT AERODROME (about 25 miles; BAYPORT, NY; ID: 23N)
- EVERS (about 28 miles; NEW YORK, NY; ID: 6N6)
Amtrak station near Melville:
- 20 miles: STAMFORD (WASHINGTON BLVD. & E. STATE ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges/Universities in Melville:
- CAREER BLAZERS LEARNING CENTER OF MELVILLE (Full-time enrollment: 267; Location: 445 BROADHOLLOW RD; Private, for-profit)
- KATHARINE GIBBS SCHOOL-MELVILLE (FT enrollment: 171; Location: 320 S SERVICE RD; Private, for-profit; Website: www.gibbslongisland.com)
- COURT REPORTING INSTITUTE (Location: 535 BROAD HOLLOW; Private, for-profit)
- ON THE RECORD SCHOOL OF REPORTING (Location: 535 BROADHOLLOW RD; Private, for-profit)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Melville:
- SUNY COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY AT FARMINGDALE (about 6 miles; FARMINGDALE, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,831)
- SUFFOLK COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-WESTERN CAMPUS (about 12 miles; BRENTWOOD, NY; FT enrollment: 3,485)
- NEW YORK INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY-OLD WESTBURY (about 14 miles; OLD WESTBURY, NY; FT enrollment: 4,459)
- SUNY COLLEGE AT OLD WESTBURY (about 14 miles; OLD WESTBURY, NY; FT enrollment: 2,594)
- HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY (about 14 miles; HEMPSTEAD, NY; FT enrollment: 10,842)
- LONG ISLAND UNIVERSITY-C W POST CAMPUS (about 16 miles; BROOKVILLE, NY; FT enrollment: 6,605)
- NASSAU COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 17 miles; GARDEN CITY, NY; FT enrollment: 13,710)
Public primary/middle schools in Melville:
- WEST HOLLOW MS (Students: 1,279; Location: 250 OLD EAST NECK RD; Grades: 06 - 08)
- BIRCHWOOD IS (Students: 711; Location: 121 WOLF HILL RD; Grades: 03 - 05)
- SUNQUAM ES (Students: 663; Location: 515 SWEET HOLLOW RD; Grades: KG - 05)
Private primary/middle school in Melville:
- CRESTWOOD COUNTRY DAY SCHOOL (Students: 284; Location: 313 ROUND SWAMP RD; Grades: PK - 9)
Church in Melville: Sweet Hollow Church (A).
Melville compared to New York state average:
- Median household income significantly above state average.
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Number of rooms per house above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Melville:
- WGSM (740 AM; 25 kW; HUNTINGTON, NY; Owner: K RADIO LICENSEE, INC.)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCBS (880 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WHLI (1100 AM; daytime; 10 kW; HEMPSTEAD, NY)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WOR (710 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WABC (770 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- WQEW (1560 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: THE NEW YORK TIMES ELECTRONIC MEDIA COMPANY)
- WLIE (540 AM; 3 kW; ISLIP, NY; Owner: LONG ISLAND MULTIMEDIA, LLC.)
- WBBR (1130 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BLOOMBERG COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WEPN (1050 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK AM RADIO, LLC)
- WINS (1010 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WADO (1280 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WADO-AM LICENSE CORP.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Melville:
- W217AF (91.3 FM; HUNTINGTON STATION, NY; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WKWZ (88.5 FM; SYOSSET, NY; Owner: SYOSSET CENTRAL SCHOOL DISTRICT)
- WPOB (88.5 FM; PLAINVIEW, NY; Owner: PLAINVIEW-OLD BETHPAGE CENT SCH DIST)
- WBAB (102.3 FM; BABYLON, NY; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WMJC (94.3 FM; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: IW LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY)
- WBZO (103.1 FM; BAY SHORE, NY; Owner: MID-ISLAND BROADCASTING LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WALK-FM (97.5 FM; PATCHOGUE, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WFRS (88.9 FM; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- WKCR-FM (89.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: TRUSTEES OF COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY IN NEW YORK)
- WPLJ (95.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WPLJ-FM RADIO, INC.)
- WKTU (103.5 FM; LAKE SUCCESS, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- WQCD (101.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WCAA (105.9 FM; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: WADO-AM LICENSE CORP. ("WADO"))
- WBAI (99.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: PACIFICA FOUNDATION, INC.)
- WBLS (107.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ICBC BROADCAST HOLDINGS-NY, INC.)
- WLTW (106.7 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMFM NEW YORK LICENSES, LLC)
- WQXR-FM (96.3 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: THE NEW YORK TIMES ELECTRONIC MEDIA COMPANY)
- WSKQ-FM (97.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WSKQ LICENSING, INC.)
- WXRK (92.3 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WAXQ (104.3 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMFM NEW YORK LICENSES, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around Melville:
- WLIW (Channel 21; GARDEN CITY, NY; Owner: EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- W27CB (Channel 27; HEMPSTEAD, NY; Owner: K LICENSEE INC.)
- WNYW (Channel 5; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WCBS-TV (Channel 2; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: CBS BROADCASTING INC.)
- WABC-TV (Channel 7; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMERICAN BROADCASTING COMPANIES, INC)
- WPIX (Channel 11; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WPIX, INC.)
- WWOR-TV (Channel 9; SECAUCUS, NJ; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WXNY-LP (Channel 32; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ISLAND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WNJU (Channel 47; LINDEN, NJ; Owner: WNJU LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WPXN-TV (Channel 31; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WFUT (Channel 68; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: UNIVISION NEW YORK LLC)
- WNBC (Channel 4; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NATIONAL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WNET (Channel 13; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WXTV (Channel 41; PATERSON, NJ; Owner: WXTV LICENSE PARTNERSHIP, G.P.)
- WNYE-TV (Channel 25; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- WKOB-LP (Channel 53; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WKOB COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WEBR-CA (Channel 17; MANHATTAN, NY; Owner: K LICENSEE INC.)
- WRNN-LP (Channel 57; NYACK, NY; Owner: LP NYACK LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- W60AI (Channel 60; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: VENTANA TELEVISION, INC.)
- WPXU-LP (Channel 38; AMITYVILLE, NY; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WLIG-LP (Channel 54; MINEOLA, NY; Owner: WLNY-TV, INC.)
- WFTY (Channel 67; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: UNIVISION NEW YORK LLC)
- W38CL (Channel 38; BRONX, NY; Owner: RENARD COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- W68DN (Channel 68; CHERRY HILL, ETC., NJ; Owner: MARCIA COHEN)
- WLNY (Channel 55; RIVERHEAD, NY; Owner: WLNY-TV, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.