Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 115,715. Estimated population in July 2005: 119,088 (+2.9% change)
Males: 56,265 (48.6%), Females: 59,450 (51.4%)
Median resident age: 38.4 years
Median household income: $80,421 (year 2000)
Median house value: $248,400 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Smithtown:
- White Non-Hispanic (92.9%)
- Hispanic (3.3%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
- Asian Indian (0.7%)
- Chinese (0.7%)
- Black (0.6%)
- Other race (0.6%)
Ancestries: Italian (35.3%), Irish (26.0%), German (18.7%), Polish (6.9%), English (5.0%), Russian (4.1%).
New! New York forum
Elevation: 73 feet
Land area: 11.9 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Smithtown
- High school or higher: 91.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 36.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 15.9%
- Unemployed: 2.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 33.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Smithtown town
- Never married: 20.8%
- Now married: 65.2%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 7.5%
- Divorced: 5.1%
7.2% Foreign born (3.3% Europe, 2.3% Asia, 1.3% Latin America).
Island Luxury Homes - Gale Sotheby's International Luxury Real Estate Broker />
on Long Island - Properties offers apartments in desirable areas of Long Island. />
Bay Homes - Through Our MLS List & Find Your Fantastic Dream Home Today. />
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NY Islip, (8.2 miles pop. 322,612).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (49.4 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: NY Smithtown, (0.0 miles of the Branch, NY (2.1 miles Village NY Hauppauge, (2.7 miles Park, NY (3.0 miles Kings NY (3.3 miles Nissequogue, James, NY (4.3 miles St. NY Nesconset, (4.5 miles NY (4.6 miles Islandia,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 512 buildings, average cost: $94,900
- 1997: 201 buildings, average cost: $151,000
- 1998: 163 buildings, average cost: $157,000
- 1999: 265 buildings, average cost: $134,100
- 2000: 167 buildings, average cost: $160,600
- 2001: 127 buildings, average cost: $168,500
- 2002: 237 buildings, average cost: $156,000
- 2003: 121 buildings, average cost: $176,800
- 2004: 131 buildings, average cost: $184,800
- 2005: 96 buildings, average cost: $192,500
Latitude: 40.86 N, Longitude: 73.21 W
Area codes: 631, 516
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (24.6%), Retail trade (11.5%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (11.4%).
Average climate in Smithtown, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Smithtown-area historical tornado activity is slightly above New York state average. It is 52% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/10/1989, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 38.0 miles away from the Smithtown city center injured 40 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 9/18/1973, a category 2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 20.7 miles away from the city center .
Birthplace of: Melissa Joan Hart, Christopher Higgins - NHL player (Montreal Canadiens, born: Jun 2, 1983), Craig Biggio - 2005 Major League Baseball player (Houston Astros, born: Dec 14, 1965), Frank Catalanotto - 2005 Major League Baseball player (Toronto Blue Jays, born: Apr 27, 1974).
Hospital/medical center in Smithtown:
- ST CATHERINE OF SIENA MEDICAL CENTER (50 ROUTE 25A)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Smithtown:
- PILGRIM STATE HOSP (about 6 miles; WEST BRENTWOOD, NY)
- SOUTHSIDE HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; BAY SHORE, NY)
- GOOD SAMARITAN HOSPITAL (about 12 miles; WEST ISLIP, NY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Smithtown:
- LONG ISLAND MAC ARTHUR (about 10 miles; ISLIP, NY; ID: ISP)
- REPUBLIC (about 16 miles; FARMINGDALE, NY; ID: FRG)
- IGOR I SIKORSKY MEMORIAL (about 22 miles; BRIDGEPORT, CT; ID: BDR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Smithtown:
- BAYPORT AERODROME (about 14 miles; BAYPORT, NY; ID: 23N)
- BROOKHAVEN (about 26 miles; SHIRLEY, NY; ID: HWV)
- LUFKER (about 33 miles; EAST MORICHES, NY; ID: O00)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Smithtown:
- SUFFOLK COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-WESTERN CAMPUS (about 6 miles; BRENTWOOD, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,485)
- DOWLING COLLEGE (about 11 miles; OAKDALE, NY; FT enrollment: 3,747)
- SUFFOLK COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-AMMERMAN CAMPUS (about 12 miles; SELDEN, NY; FT enrollment: 6,992)
- SAINT JOSEPHS COLLEGE-SUFFOLK CAMPUS (about 16 miles; PATCHOGUE, NY; FT enrollment: 2,617)
- SUNY COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY AT FARMINGDALE (about 19 miles; FARMINGDALE, NY; FT enrollment: 3,831)
- FAIRFIELD UNIVERSITY (about 22 miles; FAIRFIELD, CT; FT enrollment: 4,197)
- NORWALK COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 22 miles; NORWALK, CT; FT enrollment: 2,772)
Public high school in Smithtown:
- SMITHTOWN HS (Students: 2,003; Location: 100 CENTRAL RD; Grades: 10 - 12)
Private high school in Smithtown:
- SMITHTOWN CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 594; Location: HIGBIE DRIVE; Grades: PK - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Smithtown:
- ACCOMPSETT ES (Students: 797; Location: ONE LINCOLN ST; Grades: KG - 05)
- SMITHTOWN FRESHMAN CAMPUS (Students: 750; Location: 660 MEADOW RD; Grades: 09 - 09)
- PINES ES (Students: 747; Location: 22 HOLLY DR; Grades: KG - 05)
- SMITHTOWN ES (Students: 663; Location: 51 LAWRENCE AVE; Grades: KG - 05)
- DOGWOOD ES (Students: 581; Location: 50 DOGWOOD DR; Grades: KG - 05)
- MT PLEASANT ES (Students: 559; Location: 33 PLAISTED AVE; Grades: KG - 05)
- FOREST BROOK ES (Students: 481; Location: LILAC LN; Grades: KG - 05)
- BRANCH BROOK ES (Students: 442; Location: 15 RIDGELY RD; Grades: KG - 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Smithtown:
- ST PATRICK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 703; Location: 284 EAST MAIN STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
- IVY LEAGUE SCHOOL (Students: 232; Location: 211 BROOKSITE DRIVE; Grades: PK - 2)
- HEBREW ACADEMY OF SUFFOLK CO (Students: 62; Location: 525 VETERANS HIGHWAY; Grades: KG - 9)
Library in Smithtown:
- THE SMITHTOWN LIBRARY (Operating income: $6,663,271; Location: 1 NORTH COUNTRY ROAD; 325,045 books; 14,162 audio materials; 15,918 video materials; 486 serial subscriptions)
Notable location: Smithtown Landing Municipal Golf Course (A).
Cemeteries: Landing Cemetery (1), Saint Patricks Cemetery (2).
Lakes and reservoirs: Vail Pond (A), Webster Pond (B), Willow Pond (C), Phillips Millpond (D), Millers Pond (E), New Millpond (F).
Parks in Smithtown include: Whitman Hollow Park (1), Forestwood Park (2), Maple Avenue Park (3).
Smithtown compared to New York state average:
- Median household income significantly above state average.
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Number of rooms per house above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
- Population density above state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Smithtown:
- WGSM (740 AM; 25 kW; HUNTINGTON, NY; Owner: K RADIO LICENSEE, INC.)
- WLIE (540 AM; 3 kW; ISLIP, NY; Owner: LONG ISLAND MULTIMEDIA, LLC.)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCBS (880 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WLIM (1580 AM; 10 kW; PATCHOGUE, NY; Owner: POLNET COMMUNICATIONS, LTD.)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WOR (710 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WABC (770 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- WBBR (1130 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BLOOMBERG COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WEPN (1050 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK AM RADIO, LLC)
- WQEW (1560 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: THE NEW YORK TIMES ELECTRONIC MEDIA COMPANY)
- WINS (1010 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WADO (1280 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WADO-AM LICENSE CORP.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Smithtown:
- WFRS (88.9 FM; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- WMJC (94.3 FM; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: IW LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY)
- WALK-FM (97.5 FM; PATCHOGUE, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WBZO (103.1 FM; BAY SHORE, NY; Owner: MID-ISLAND BROADCASTING LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WUSB (90.1 FM; STONY BROOK, NY; Owner: STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK)
- W289AD (105.7 FM; SELDEN, NY; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WBLI (106.1 FM; PATCHOGUE, NY; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- W217AF (91.3 FM; HUNTINGTON STATION, NY; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WBAB (102.3 FM; BABYLON, NY; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WSHR (91.9 FM; LAKE RONKONKOMA, NY; Owner: SACHEM CENTRAL SCH DIST HOLBROOK)
- WXBA (88.1 FM; BRENTWOOD, NY; Owner: BRENTWOOD UNION FREE SCHOOL DISTRICT)
- WLIU (88.3 FM; SOUTHAMPTON, NY; Owner: LONG ISLAND UNIVERSITY PUBLIC RADIO NETWORK)
- WEZN-FM (99.9 FM; BRIDGEPORT, CT; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WPLJ (95.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WPLJ-FM RADIO, INC.)
- WKCR-FM (89.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: TRUSTEES OF COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY IN NEW YORK)
- WKCI-FM (101.3 FM; HAMDEN, CT; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSHU-FM (91.1 FM; FAIRFIELD, CT; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WEBE (107.9 FM; WESTPORT, CT; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WPLR (99.1 FM; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WPKN (89.5 FM; BRIDGEPORT, CT; Owner: WPKN, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Smithtown:
- WFTY (Channel 67; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: UNIVISION NEW YORK LLC)
- WNYW (Channel 5; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WLNY (Channel 55; RIVERHEAD, NY; Owner: WLNY-TV, INC.)
- WCBS-TV (Channel 2; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: CBS BROADCASTING INC.)
- WNJU (Channel 47; LINDEN, NJ; Owner: WNJU LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WXNY-LP (Channel 32; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ISLAND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WPXN-TV (Channel 31; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WLIW (Channel 21; GARDEN CITY, NY; Owner: EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WEDW (Channel 49; BRIDGEPORT, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- W26CE (Channel 26; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ATLANTIC COAST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- W27CB (Channel 27; HEMPSTEAD, NY; Owner: K LICENSEE INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.