Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 9,807
Males: 4,850 (49.5%), Females: 4,957 (50.5%)
Median resident age: 34.3 years
Median household income: $60,851 (year 2000)
Median house value: $148,400 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Sound Beach:
- White Non-Hispanic (93.6%)
- Hispanic (3.5%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
- Other race (0.7%)
- Black (0.6%)
Ancestries: Irish (33.5%), Italian (32.6%), German (23.3%), Polish (6.2%), English (6.1%), United States (2.8%).
New! Beach, New York forum
Land area: 2.7 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Sound Beach
- High school or higher: 92.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 24.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 12.7%
- Unemployed: 3.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 32.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sound Beach CDP
- Never married: 26.6%
- Now married: 57.2%
- Separated: 2.9%
- Widowed: 5.5%
- Divorced: 7.7%
7.4% Foreign born (4.7% Europe, 1.9% Asia).
on Long Island - Properties offers apartments in desirable areas of Long Island. />
Island Luxury Homes - Gale Sotheby's International Luxury Real Estate Broker />
Beach Hotels - Before You Go. Read Reviews from Real Travelers. />
Island Rentals - Island Sales and Rentals Ocean Beach, Seaview, Ocean Bay Par />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: NY (13.0 miles Brookhaven, pop. 448,248).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (67.4 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: Place, NY Miller (1.7 miles Point, NY Rocky (3.0 miles Sinai, NY (3.5 miles Mount NY (4.3 miles Shoreham, Island, NY Middle (5.3 miles NY (5.3 miles Coram, Shoreham, NY (5.9 miles East Jefferson, NY Port (6.3 miles
Latitude: 40.96 N, Longitude: 72.97 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 631
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (29.4%), Retail trade (10.8%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (10.8%), Construction (10.4%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -3,780 (-38.5%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 331 (7.2%)
Average climate in Sound Beach, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Sound Beach-area historical tornado activity is slightly above New York state average. It is 50% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/10/1989, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 25.3 miles away from the Sound Beach city center injured 40 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 7/29/1971, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 41.4 miles away from the city center injured 2 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Hospitals/medical centers near Sound Beach:
- JOHN T MATHER MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; PORT JEFFERSON, NY)
- ST CHARLES HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; PORT JEFFERSON, NY)
- BROOKHAVEN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 13 miles; PATCHOGUE, NY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Sound Beach:
- LONG ISLAND MAC ARTHUR (about 15 miles; ISLIP, NY; ID: ISP)
- IGOR I SIKORSKY MEMORIAL (about 17 miles; BRIDGEPORT, CT; ID: BDR)
- TWEED-NEW HAVEN (about 22 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; ID: HVN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Sound Beach:
- BROOKHAVEN (about 13 miles; SHIRLEY, NY; ID: HWV)
- BAYPORT AERODROME (about 16 miles; BAYPORT, NY; ID: 23N)
- LUFKER (about 19 miles; EAST MORICHES, NY; ID: O00)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sound Beach:
- SUFFOLK COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-AMMERMAN CAMPUS (about 8 miles; SELDEN, NY; Full-time enrollment: 6,992)
- SAINT JOSEPHS COLLEGE-SUFFOLK CAMPUS (about 13 miles; PATCHOGUE, NY; FT enrollment: 2,617)
- DOWLING COLLEGE (about 19 miles; OAKDALE, NY; FT enrollment: 3,747)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAVEN (about 22 miles; WEST HAVEN, CT; FT enrollment: 3,081)
- SUFFOLK COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-WESTERN CAMPUS (about 23 miles; BRENTWOOD, NY; FT enrollment: 3,485)
- SUNY AT STONY BROOK (about 24 miles; STONY BROOK, NY; FT enrollment: 16,829)
- SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY (about 25 miles; FAIRFIELD, CT; FT enrollment: 4,120)
Notable locations in Sound Beach: Woodhull Landing (A), Rocky Point Landing (B).
Sound Beach compared to New York state average:
- Median household income above state average.
- Median house value above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Population density above state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Sound Beach:
- WLIM (1580 AM; 10 kW; PATCHOGUE, NY; Owner: POLNET COMMUNICATIONS, LTD.)
- WGSM (740 AM; 25 kW; HUNTINGTON, NY; Owner: K RADIO LICENSEE, INC.)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCBS (880 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WOR (710 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WABC (770 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WFIF (1500 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MILFORD, CT)
- WLIE (540 AM; 3 kW; ISLIP, NY; Owner: LONG ISLAND MULTIMEDIA, LLC.)
- WEPN (1050 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK AM RADIO, LLC)
- WBBR (1130 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BLOOMBERG COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Sound Beach:
- WALK-FM (97.5 FM; PATCHOGUE, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WBLI (106.1 FM; PATCHOGUE, NY; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WUSB (90.1 FM; STONY BROOK, NY; Owner: STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK)
- W289AD (105.7 FM; SELDEN, NY; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WLIU (88.3 FM; SOUTHAMPTON, NY; Owner: LONG ISLAND UNIVERSITY PUBLIC RADIO NETWORK)
- WXXP (105.3 FM; CALVERTON-ROANOKE, NY; Owner: JARAD BROADCASTING CO. OF CALVERTON, INC)
- WRCN-FM (103.9 FM; RIVERHEAD, NY; Owner: IW LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY)
- WLVG (96.1 FM; CENTER MORICHES, NY; Owner: WAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WKCI-FM (101.3 FM; HAMDEN, CT; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WFRS (88.9 FM; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- WPLR (99.1 FM; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WDRE (98.5 FM; WESTHAMPTON, NY; Owner: JARAD BROADCATING COMPANY OF WESTHAMPTON, INC.)
- WEZN-FM (99.9 FM; BRIDGEPORT, CT; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WSHU-FM (91.1 FM; FAIRFIELD, CT; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WBZO (103.1 FM; BAY SHORE, NY; Owner: MID-ISLAND BROADCASTING LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WPKN (89.5 FM; BRIDGEPORT, CT; Owner: WPKN, INC.)
- WEBE (107.9 FM; WESTPORT, CT; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WMJC (94.3 FM; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: IW LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY)
- WSHR (91.9 FM; LAKE RONKONKOMA, NY; Owner: SACHEM CENTRAL SCH DIST HOLBROOK)
- WYBC-FM (94.3 FM; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: YALE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Sound Beach:
- WFTY (Channel 67; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: UNIVISION NEW YORK LLC)
- WLNY (Channel 55; RIVERHEAD, NY; Owner: WLNY-TV, INC.)
- W26CE (Channel 26; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ATLANTIC COAST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WTNH (Channel 8; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: WTNH BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WTIC-TV (Channel 61; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: TRIBUNE TELEVISION COMPANY)
- WEDY (Channel 65; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCTX (Channel 59; NEW HAVEN, CT; Owner: WTNH BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WEDW (Channel 49; BRIDGEPORT, CT; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.