Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 20,599. Estimated population in July 2005: 21,781 (+5.7% change)
Males: 9,945 (48.3%), Females: 10,654 (51.7%)
Median resident age: 44.7 years
Median household income: $49,898 (year 2000)
Median house value: $218,400 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Southold:
- White Non-Hispanic (90.7%)
- Hispanic (4.8%)
- Black (2.9%)
- Other race (1.5%)
- Two or more races (1.5%)
Ancestries: Irish (24.9%), German (24.0%), Italian (16.2%), Polish (15.3%), English (15.2%), French (4.2%).
New! New York forum
Elevation: 25 feet
Land area: 10.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Southold
- High school or higher: 88.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 31.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 14.3%
- Unemployed: 4.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 26.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Southold town
- Never married: 20.2%
- Now married: 61.8%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 9.4%
- Divorced: 6.7%
6.7% Foreign born (3.3% Europe, 2.5% Latin America, 0.8% Asia).
Real Estate - Real Estate in The Hamptons Representing the finest properties />
on Long Island - Properties offers apartments in desirable areas of Long Island. />
Resort Motel - Village, NY. Pool/Patio. Short Walk To Ocean. Low Rates! />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: NY Southampton, (11.9 miles pop. 54,712).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NY (39.2 miles Brookhaven, pop. 448,248).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (105.7 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: NY Southold, (0.0 miles NY Peconic, (3.2 miles NY (3.5 miles Westmoreland, NY (4.8 miles Cutchogue, West, NY (4.8 miles Greenport Island Heights, NY (5.1 miles Shelter NY (5.1 miles Greenport, .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 91 buildings, average cost: $123,300
- 1997: 100 buildings, average cost: $123,300
- 1998: 107 buildings, average cost: $123,300
- 1999: 185 buildings, average cost: $122,900
- 2000: 153 buildings, average cost: $122,900
- 2001: 146 buildings, average cost: $122,900
- 2002: 151 buildings, average cost: $122,900
- 2003: 143 buildings, average cost: $122,900
- 2004: 147 buildings, average cost: $122,900
- 2005: 141 buildings, average cost: $122,900
Latitude: 41.06 N, Longitude: 72.42 W
Area code: 631
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (21.3%), Retail trade (11.8%), Construction (10.2%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (10.1%).
Average climate in Southold, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Southold-area historical tornado activity is near New York state average. It is 56% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/10/1989, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 38.9 miles away from the Southold city center injured 40 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 8/8/1999, a category 2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 5.1 miles away from the city center injured one person and caused $1 million in damages.
Hospitals/medical centers near Southold:
- EASTERN LONG ISLAND HOSPITAL (about 5 miles; GREENPORT, NY)
- SOUTHAMPTON HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; SOUTHAMPTON, NY)
- UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; SUNY STONY BROOK, NY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Southold:
- GROTON-NEW LONDON (about 33 miles; GROTON NEW LONDON, CT; ID: GON)
- TWEED-NEW HAVEN (about 35 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; ID: HVN)
- IGOR I SIKORSKY MEMORIAL (about 49 miles; BRIDGEPORT, CT; ID: BDR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Southold:
- MATTITUCK (about 9 miles; MATTITUCK, NY; ID: 21N)
- EAST HAMPTON (about 14 miles; EAST HAMPTON, NY; ID: HTO)
- SOUTHAMPTON (about 16 miles; SOUTHAMPTON, NY; ID: 87N)
Amtrak station near Southold:
- 18 miles: OLD SAYBROOK (455 BOSTON POST RD.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Southold:
- SUNY AT STONY BROOK (about 18 miles; STONY BROOK, NY; Full-time enrollment: 16,829)
- WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY (about 39 miles; MIDDLETOWN, CT; FT enrollment: 2,993)
- GATEWAY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 40 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; FT enrollment: 2,100)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAVEN (about 41 miles; WEST HAVEN, CT; FT enrollment: 3,081)
- YALE UNIVERSITY (about 42 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; FT enrollment: 11,011)
- QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY (about 42 miles; HAMDEN, CT; FT enrollment: 5,836)
- SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 43 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; FT enrollment: 8,808)
Public high school in Southold:
- SOUTHOLD JSHS (Students: 493; Location: 420 OAKLAWN AVE; Grades: 07 - 12)
Public primary/middle school in Southold:
- SOUTHOLD ES (Students: 511; Location: 420 OAKLAWN AVE; Grades: KG - 06)
Library in Southold:
- SOUTHOLD FREE LIBRARY (Operating income: $479,029; Location: 53705 MAIN ROAD; 33,881 books; 1,955 audio materials; 2,509 video materials; 85 serial subscriptions)
Notable location: Pine Crest Dunes (A).
Church in Southold: Shiloh Church (A).
Cemetery: Willow Hill Cemetery (1).
Lakes: Budds Pond (A), Lilly Pond (B), Great Pond (C), Hashamomuck Pond (D).
Creeks: Long Creek (A), Jockey Creek (B), Richmond Creek (C).
Parks in Southold include: Founders Landing Park (1), South Harbor Park (2).
Beaches: Hashamomuck Beach (A), Kenneys Road Beach (B).
Southold compared to New York state average:
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Southold:
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WLIS (1420 AM; 5 kW; OLD SAYBROOK, CT; Owner: CROSSROADS COMM. OLD SAYBROOK, LLC)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WGSM (740 AM; 25 kW; HUNTINGTON, NY; Owner: K RADIO LICENSEE, INC.)
- WCBS (880 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WOR (710 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WABC (770 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Southold:
- WSUF (89.9 FM; NOYACK, NY; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WLNG (92.1 FM; SAG HARBOR, NY; Owner: MAIN STREET BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WHFM (95.3 FM; SOUTHAMPTON, NY; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WBEA (101.7 FM; SOUTHOLD, NY; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING LLC)
- WRLI-FM (91.3 FM; SOUTHAMPTON, NY; Owner: CONNECTICUT PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC)
- W233AI (94.5 FM; SAG HARBOR, NY; Owner: MONROE BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- WBAZ (102.5 FM; BRIDGEHAMPTON, NY; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING LLC)
- W277AB (103.3 FM; NOYACK, NY; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- W264AJ (100.7 FM; SOUTHAMPTON, NY; Owner: MONROE BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- WLIU (88.3 FM; SOUTHAMPTON, NY; Owner: LONG ISLAND UNIVERSITY PUBLIC RADIO NETWORK)
- WHBE (96.7 FM; EAST HAMPTON, NY; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING LLC)
- WLVG (96.1 FM; CENTER MORICHES, NY; Owner: WAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WKCI-FM (101.3 FM; HAMDEN, CT; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBON (107.1 FM; HAMPTON BAYS, NY; Owner: NASSAU BROADCASTING HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WALK-FM (97.5 FM; PATCHOGUE, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WXXP (105.3 FM; CALVERTON-ROANOKE, NY; Owner: JARAD BROADCASTING CO. OF CALVERTON, INC)
- WRCN-FM (103.9 FM; RIVERHEAD, NY; Owner: IW LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY)
- W227AJ (93.3 FM; NORTHFORD, CT; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY)
TV broadcast stations around Southold:
- WHPX (Channel 26; NEW LONDON, CT; Owner: PAXSON HARTFORD LICENSE, INC.)
- WTIC-TV (Channel 61; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: TRIBUNE TELEVISION COMPANY)
- WVVH-LP (Channel 23; SOUTHAMPTON, ETC., NY; Owner: VIDEO VOICE, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.