Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 11,006. Estimated population in July 2005: 10,897 (-1.0% change)
Males: 5,277 (47.9%), Females: 5,729 (52.1%)
Median resident age: 38.8 years
Median household income: $59,754 (year 2000)
Median house value: $193,400 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Suffern:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (79.7%)
- Hispanic (12.9%)
- Other race (4.5%)
- Black (3.5%)
- Two or more races (1.9%)
- Asian Indian (1.2%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
Ancestries: Irish (21.7%), Italian (21.4%), German (10.6%), English (6.7%), Russian (5.7%), Polish (5.7%).
New! New York forum
Elevation: 313 feet
Land area: 2.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Suffern
- High school or higher: 90.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 37.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 15.7%
- Unemployed: 3.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 31.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Suffern village
- Never married: 26.4%
- Now married: 52.7%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 7.7%
- Divorced: 10.7%
18.2% Foreign born (9.7% Latin America, 3.9% Asia, 3.7% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: -114 (-1.0%).
Service Web Design - all Of Rockland County NY Design - Hosting - Online Marketing />
Real Estate - Cox - Providing Sellers and Buyers an Exceptional Experience />
of State - Cost Incs. & LLCs in 50 States Free Name Search 800-462-4633 />
Hills Hudson - Semi Custom Single Family Homes. Starting at $379,900 />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: NY (2.6 miles Ramapo, pop. 108,905).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NJ Newark, (26.2 miles pop. 273,546).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (32.2 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: NY (1.7 miles Hillburn, NY (2.1 miles Montebello, NY (2.6 miles Ramapo, NY (3.3 miles Airmont, NJ (3.7 miles Ramsey, NY (4.4 miles Viola, NY (4.5 miles Sloatsburg, Saddle River, NJ (4.6 miles Upper
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 2 buildings, average cost: $75,000
- 1997: 18 buildings, average cost: $111,100
- 1998: 16 buildings, average cost: $200,000
- 1999: 2 buildings, average cost: $80,000
- 2000: 0 buildings
- 2001: 0 buildings
- 2002: 0 buildings
- 2003: 0 buildings
- 2004: 3 buildings, average cost: $174,300
- 2005: 3 buildings, average cost: $185,300
Latitude: 41.11 N, Longitude: 74.15 W
Area code: 845
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (24.5%), Retail trade (12.2%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (12.2%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -1,916 (-17.4%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 729 (11.9%)
Average climate in Suffern, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Suffern-area historical tornado activity is above New York state average. It is 32% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/14/1988, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 26.9 miles away from the Suffern city center injured one person and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 5/28/1973, a category 3 tornado 32.5 miles away from the city center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Valerie Harper, C.J. Nitkowski - 2005 Major League Baseball player (Washington Nationals, born: Mar 9, 1973), Keith Bulluck - 2005 NFL player (Tennessee Titans, born: Apr 4, 1977).
Main business address for: DRESS BARN INC (RETAIL-WOMEN'S CLOTHING STORES).
Hospital/medical center in Suffern:
- GOOD SAMARITAN HOSPITAL OF SUFFERN (255 LAFAYETTE AVENUE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Suffern:
- RAMAPO RIDGE PSYCH HOSP (about 8 miles; WYCKOFF, NJ)
- SUMMIT PARK HOSP (about 9 miles; POMONA, NY)
- VALLEY HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; RIDGEWOOD, NJ)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Suffern:
- TETERBORO (about 20 miles; TETERBORO, NJ; ID: TEB)
- STEWART INT'L (about 27 miles; NEWBURGH, NY; ID: SWF)
- NEWARK LIBERTY INTL (about 30 miles; NEWARK, NJ; ID: EWR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Suffern:
- GREENWOOD LAKE (about 13 miles; WEST MILFORD, NJ; ID: 4N1)
- HAVERSTRAW (about 14 miles; HAVERSTRAW, NY; ID: H43)
- WARWICK MUNI (about 16 miles; WARWICK, NY; ID: N72)
Amtrak station near Suffern:
- 19 miles: CROTON-HARMON (CROTON-ON-HUDSON, CROTON POINT AVE.). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Water Supply ||7 ||$32,307 ||$55,383 ||1 ||$620 |
|Judicial and Legal ||1 ||$4,056 ||$48,672 ||5 ||$11,393 |
|Other Government Administration ||4 ||$15,970 ||$47,910 ||14 ||$5,407 |
|Financial Administration ||1 ||$4,162 ||$49,944 ||2 ||$4,829 |
|Other and Unallocable ||1 ||$2,404 ||$28,848 ||7 ||$10,167 |
|Sewerage ||6 ||$38,397 ||$76,794 ||1 ||$620 |
|Parks and Recreation ||3 ||$9,713 ||$38,852 ||1 ||$387 |
|Solid Waste Management ||7 ||$22,707 ||$38,926 ||0 ||$0 |
|Streets and Highways ||14 ||$51,768 ||$44,372 ||0 ||$0 |
|Police - Other ||5 ||$18,372 ||$44,092 ||1 ||$1,251 |
|Police Protection - Officers ||29 ||$158,153 ||$65,442 ||2 ||$2,710 |
|Totals for Government ||78 ||$358,008 ||$55,078 ||34 ||$37,383 | Colleges/Universities in Suffern:
- ROCKLAND COMMUNITY COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 4,409; Location: 145 COLLEGE RD; Public)
- YESHIVA CHOFETZ CHAIM RADUN (Location: 24 HIGHVIEW RD; Private, not-for-profit)
- SALVATION ARMY SCHOOL FOR OFFICERS TRAINING (Location: 201 LAFAYETTE AVE; Private, not-for-profit; Website: sfotusa.org/)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Suffern:
- RAMAPO COLLEGE OF NEW JERSEY (about 3 miles; MAHWAH, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 4,076)
- BERGEN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 13 miles; PARAMUS, NJ; FT enrollment: 7,733)
- PASSAIC COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 14 miles; PATERSON, NJ; FT enrollment: 2,452)
- WILLIAM PATERSON UNIVERSITY OF NEW JERSEY (about 14 miles; WAYNE, NJ; FT enrollment: 8,017)
- FAIRLEIGH DICKINSON UNIVERSITY-ALL CAMPUSES (about 18 miles; TEANECK, NJ; FT enrollment: 6,482)
- MONTCLAIR STATE UNIVERSITY (about 19 miles; UPPER MONTCLAIR, NJ; FT enrollment: 10,226)
- MERCY COLLEGE-MAIN CAMPUS (about 21 miles; DOBBS FERRY, NY; FT enrollment: 6,643)
Public high school in Suffern:
- SUFFERN SHS (Students: 1,443; Location: 49 VIOLA RD; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high schools in Suffern:
- BHT TORAH ACADEMY (Students: 94; Location: 4 CAMPBELL AVE; Grades: 9 - 12; Girls only)
- SHAAREI TORAH OF ROCKLAND (Students: 91; Location: 91 CARLTON RD W; Grades: 9 - 12; Boys only)
Public primary/middle schools in Suffern:
- SUFFERN MS (Students: 1,099; Location: 80 HEMION RD; Grades: 06 - 08)
- POMONA MS (Students: 878; Location: 101 POMONA RD; Grades: 07 - 08)
- MONTEBELLO ROAD SCHOOL (Students: 501; Location: 50 MONTEBELLO RD; Grades: KG - 05)
- VIOLA ES (Students: 491; Location: 557 RT 202; Grades: KG - 05)
- CHERRY LANE ES (Students: 415; Location: 1 HEATHER DR; Grades: KG - 05)
- LIME KILN ES (Students: 386; Location: 35 LIME KILN RD; Grades: 04 - 06)
- RICHARD P. CONNOR ES (Students: 382; Location: 13 CYPRESS RD; Grades: KG - 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Suffern:
- SACRED HEART SCHOOL (Students: 566; Location: 60 WASHINGTON AVE; Grades: PK - 8)
- ROBIN HILL SCHOOL (Students: 136; Location: 70 WESLEY CHAPEL RD; Grades: PK - KG)
- SUFFERN MONTESSORI (Students: 36; Location: 3 CHURCH ROAD; Grades: PK - KG)
Library in Suffern:
- SUFFERN FREE LIBRARY (Operating income: $1,983,486; Location: 210 LAFAYETTE AVE.; 126,474 books; 5,767 audio materials; 5,154 video materials; 330 serial subscriptions)
Suffern compared to New York state average:
- Median household income above state average.
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
- Population density above state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Suffern:
- WVNJ (1160 AM; 20 kW; OAKLAND, NJ; Owner: UNIVERSAL B/CASTING OF NEW YORK,INC.)
- WABC (770 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- WOR (710 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WSNR (620 AM; 20 kW; JERSEY CITY, NJ)
- WINS (1010 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WEPN (1050 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK AM RADIO, LLC)
- WADO (1280 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WADO-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- WBBR (1130 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BLOOMBERG COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCBS (880 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WLIB (1190 AM; 30 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ICBC BROADCAST HOLDINGS-NY, INC.)
- WQEW (1560 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: THE NEW YORK TIMES ELECTRONIC MEDIA COMPANY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Suffern:
- WPLJ (95.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WPLJ-FM RADIO, INC.)
- WNEW (102.7 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WLJP (89.3 FM; MONROE, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
- WKCR-FM (89.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: TRUSTEES OF COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY IN NEW YORK)
- WRKS (98.7 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORP OF NEW YORK)
- WKTU (103.5 FM; LAKE SUCCESS, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- WQCD (101.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WAXQ (104.3 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMFM NEW YORK LICENSES, LLC)
- WHTZ (100.3 FM; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WWPR-FM (105.1 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCBS-FM (101.1 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCAA (105.9 FM; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: WADO-AM LICENSE CORP. ("WADO"))
- WBAI (99.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: PACIFICA FOUNDATION, INC.)
- WBLS (107.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ICBC BROADCAST HOLDINGS-NY, INC.)
- WLTW (106.7 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMFM NEW YORK LICENSES, LLC)
- WQXR-FM (96.3 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: THE NEW YORK TIMES ELECTRONIC MEDIA COMPANY)
- WSKQ-FM (97.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WSKQ LICENSING, INC.)
- WXRK (92.3 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WQHT (97.1 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: EMMIS LICENSE CORPORATION OF NEW YORK)
- WNYC-FM (93.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WNYC RADIO)
TV broadcast stations around Suffern:
- WFME-TV (Channel 66; WEST MILFORD, NJ; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- WNYW (Channel 5; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WCBS-TV (Channel 2; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: CBS BROADCASTING INC.)
- WABC-TV (Channel 7; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMERICAN BROADCASTING COMPANIES, INC)
- WPIX (Channel 11; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WPIX, INC.)
- WWOR-TV (Channel 9; SECAUCUS, NJ; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WPXO-LP (Channel 34; EAST ORANGE, NJ; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WNJU (Channel 47; LINDEN, NJ; Owner: WNJU LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WPXN-TV (Channel 31; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WFUT (Channel 68; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: UNIVISION NEW YORK LLC)
- WNBC (Channel 4; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NATIONAL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WNET (Channel 13; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WXTV (Channel 41; PATERSON, NJ; Owner: WXTV LICENSE PARTNERSHIP, G.P.)
- WNYE-TV (Channel 25; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- WXNY-LP (Channel 32; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ISLAND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- W68DN (Channel 68; CHERRY HILL, ETC., NJ; Owner: MARCIA COHEN)
- WKOB-LP (Channel 53; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WKOB COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WEBR-CA (Channel 17; MANHATTAN, NY; Owner: K LICENSEE INC.)
- WRNN-LP (Channel 57; NYACK, NY; Owner: LP NYACK LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- W60AI (Channel 60; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: VENTANA TELEVISION, INC.)
- WTBY (Channel 54; POUGHKEEPSIE, NY; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING OF NEW YORK, INC.)
- WNXY-LP (Channel 26; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ISLAND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- W33BS (Channel 33; DARIEN, CT; Owner: CT&T BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WNYN-LP (Channel 39; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ISLAND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WNYX-LP (Channel 35; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ISLAND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.