Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 28,907
Males: 14,191 (49.1%), Females: 14,716 (50.9%)
Median resident age: 36.9 years
Median household income: $75,914 (year 2000)
Median house value: $208,000 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in West Islip:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.1%)
- Hispanic (3.5%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
- Other race (0.5%)
Ancestries: Italian (38.7%), Irish (31.1%), German (20.9%), Polish (7.2%), English (5.1%), United States (3.1%).
New! Islip, New York forum
Land area: 6.2 square miles
For population 25 years and over in West Islip
- High school or higher: 90.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 26.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 10.5%
- Unemployed: 2.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 32.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in West Islip CDP
- Never married: 22.8%
- Now married: 64.2%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 6.7%
- Divorced: 5.3%
5.4% Foreign born (2.7% Europe, 1.3% Latin America, 1.2% Asia).
Island Luxury Homes - Gale Sotheby's International Luxury Real Estate Broker />
NY Homes - REALTORS Prospect Hill Long Island Real Estate Specialists />
Ny Real Estate - View Hundreds of NY Homes Search the Smithtown NY MLS />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: NY (2.6 miles Babylon, pop. 211,792).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (42.6 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: Bay Shore, NY (1.6 miles West Babylon, NY North (1.9 miles NY (2.2 miles Brightwaters, NY (2.6 miles Baywood, NY (2.6 miles Babylon, Shore, NY Bay (3.2 miles Park, NY Deer (3.9 miles
Latitude: 40.72 N, Longitude: 73.30 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 631
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (22.2%), Retail trade (11.5%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -5,404 (-18.7%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 2,022 (14.7%)
Average climate in West Islip, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
West Islip-area historical tornado activity is near New York state average. It is 58% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/10/1989, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 49.2 miles away from the West Islip city center injured 40 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 9/18/1973, a category 2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 10.9 miles away from the city center .
Birthplace of: Mike Komisarek - NHL player (Montreal Canadiens, born: Jan 19, 1982), Boomer Esiason - (born 1961), football player.
Hospital/medical center in West Islip:
- GOOD SAMARITAN HOSPITAL (1000 MONTAUK HIGHWAY)
Other hospitals/medical centers near West Islip:
- SOUTHSIDE HOSPITAL (about 4 miles; BAY SHORE, NY)
- PILGRIM STATE HOSP (about 6 miles; WEST BRENTWOOD, NY)
- BRUNSWICK HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; AMITYVILLE, NY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to West Islip:
- REPUBLIC (about 8 miles; FARMINGDALE, NY; ID: FRG)
- LONG ISLAND MAC ARTHUR (about 15 miles; ISLIP, NY; ID: ISP)
- IGOR I SIKORSKY MEMORIAL (about 33 miles; BRIDGEPORT, CT; ID: BDR)
Other public-use airports nearest to West Islip:
- BAYPORT AERODROME (about 18 miles; BAYPORT, NY; ID: 23N)
- SANDS POINT (about 29 miles; PORT WASHINGTON, NY; ID: 7N3)
- BROOKHAVEN (about 32 miles; SHIRLEY, NY; ID: HWV)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to West Islip:
- SUFFOLK COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-WESTERN CAMPUS (about 6 miles; BRENTWOOD, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,485)
- SUNY COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY AT FARMINGDALE (about 10 miles; FARMINGDALE, NY; FT enrollment: 3,831)
- DOWLING COLLEGE (about 12 miles; OAKDALE, NY; FT enrollment: 3,747)
- SUFFOLK COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE-AMMERMAN CAMPUS (about 21 miles; SELDEN, NY; FT enrollment: 6,992)
- SAINT JOSEPHS COLLEGE-SUFFOLK CAMPUS (about 21 miles; PATCHOGUE, NY; FT enrollment: 2,617)
- HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY (about 22 miles; HEMPSTEAD, NY; FT enrollment: 10,842)
- NEW YORK INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY-OLD WESTBURY (about 22 miles; OLD WESTBURY, NY; FT enrollment: 4,459)
Public high school in West Islip:
- WEST ISLIP SHS (Students: 1,699; Location: 1 LION'S PATH; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in West Islip:
- ST JOHN BAPTIST DIOCESAN H SCH (Students: 960; Location: 1170 MONTAUK HIGHWAY; Grades: 9 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in West Islip:
- UDALL ROAD MS (Students: 788; Location: 900 UDALL RD; Grades: 06 - 08)
- BEACH STREET MS (Students: 677; Location: BEACH ST; Grades: 06 - 08)
- MANETUCK ES (Students: 561; Location: 800 VAN BUREN AVE; Grades: KG - 05)
- PAUL J. BELLEW ES (Students: 508; Location: 25 HIGBIE LN; Grades: KG - 05)
- WESTBROOK ES (Students: 480; Location: 350 HIGBIE LN; Grades: KG - 05)
- BAYVIEW ES (Students: 422; Location: 165 SNEDECOR AVE; Grades: KG - 05)
- OQUENOCK ES (Students: 397; Location: 425 SPRUCE AVE; Grades: KG - 05)
- CAPTREE ES (Students: 373; Location: 339 SNEDECOR AVE; Grades: KG - 05)
Private primary/middle school in West Islip:
- OUR LADY OF LOURDES (Students: 352; Location: 44 TOOMEY ROAD; Grades: PK - 8)
Library in West Islip:
- WEST ISLIP PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $2,297,421; Location: 3 HIGBIE LANE; 185,087 books; 6,569 audio materials; 8,047 video materials; 465 serial subscriptions)
Notable location: Babylon Yacht Club (A).
Lake: Capri, Lake (A).
Creeks: Sampawams Creek (A), Willetts Creek (B), Skookwams Creek (C).
West Islip compared to New York state average:
- Median household income above state average.
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Number of rooms per house above state average.
- Population density above state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in West Islip:
- WGSM (740 AM; 25 kW; HUNTINGTON, NY; Owner: K RADIO LICENSEE, INC.)
- WLIE (540 AM; 3 kW; ISLIP, NY; Owner: LONG ISLAND MULTIMEDIA, LLC.)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCBS (880 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WNYG (1440 AM; 1 kW; BABYLON, NY; Owner: MULTICULTURAL RADIO BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WOR (710 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WABC (770 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- WHLI (1100 AM; daytime; 10 kW; HEMPSTEAD, NY)
- WQEW (1560 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: THE NEW YORK TIMES ELECTRONIC MEDIA COMPANY)
- WBBR (1130 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BLOOMBERG COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WEPN (1050 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK AM RADIO, LLC)
- WINS (1010 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in West Islip:
- WMJC (94.3 FM; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: IW LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY)
- WBZO (103.1 FM; BAY SHORE, NY; Owner: MID-ISLAND BROADCASTING LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- W217AF (91.3 FM; HUNTINGTON STATION, NY; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WBAB (102.3 FM; BABYLON, NY; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WFRS (88.9 FM; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- WALK-FM (97.5 FM; PATCHOGUE, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WXBA (88.1 FM; BRENTWOOD, NY; Owner: BRENTWOOD UNION FREE SCHOOL DISTRICT)
- WUSB (90.1 FM; STONY BROOK, NY; Owner: STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK)
- WBLI (106.1 FM; PATCHOGUE, NY; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- W289AD (105.7 FM; SELDEN, NY; Owner: SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WKCR-FM (89.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: TRUSTEES OF COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY IN NEW YORK)
- WKTU (103.5 FM; LAKE SUCCESS, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- WQCD (101.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WPLJ (95.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WPLJ-FM RADIO, INC.)
- WKWZ (88.5 FM; SYOSSET, NY; Owner: SYOSSET CENTRAL SCHOOL DISTRICT)
- WPOB (88.5 FM; PLAINVIEW, NY; Owner: PLAINVIEW-OLD BETHPAGE CENT SCH DIST)
- WNYC-FM (93.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WNYC RADIO)
- WCAA (105.9 FM; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: WADO-AM LICENSE CORP. ("WADO"))
- WBAI (99.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: PACIFICA FOUNDATION, INC.)
- WBLS (107.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ICBC BROADCAST HOLDINGS-NY, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around West Islip:
- WNYW (Channel 5; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WCBS-TV (Channel 2; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: CBS BROADCASTING INC.)
- WLIW (Channel 21; GARDEN CITY, NY; Owner: EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WABC-TV (Channel 7; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMERICAN BROADCASTING COMPANIES, INC)
- WPIX (Channel 11; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WPIX, INC.)
- WWOR-TV (Channel 9; SECAUCUS, NJ; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WXNY-LP (Channel 32; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ISLAND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WNJU (Channel 47; LINDEN, NJ; Owner: WNJU LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WPXN-TV (Channel 31; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WFUT (Channel 68; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: UNIVISION NEW YORK LLC)
- WFTY (Channel 67; SMITHTOWN, NY; Owner: UNIVISION NEW YORK LLC)
- WNBC (Channel 4; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NATIONAL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WNET (Channel 13; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WXTV (Channel 41; PATERSON, NJ; Owner: WXTV LICENSE PARTNERSHIP, G.P.)
- WNYE-TV (Channel 25; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- WLNY (Channel 55; RIVERHEAD, NY; Owner: WLNY-TV, INC.)
- WKOB-LP (Channel 53; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WKOB COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WEBR-CA (Channel 17; MANHATTAN, NY; Owner: K LICENSEE INC.)
- WRNN-LP (Channel 57; NYACK, NY; Owner: LP NYACK LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- W27CB (Channel 27; HEMPSTEAD, NY; Owner: K LICENSEE INC.)
- WPXU-LP (Channel 38; AMITYVILLE, NY; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WLIG-LP (Channel 54; MINEOLA, NY; Owner: WLNY-TV, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.