Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 196,086. Estimated population in July 2005: 196,425 (+0.2% change)
Males: 92,132 (47.0%), Females: 103,954 (53.0%)
Median resident age: 35.8 years
Median household income: $44,663 (year 2000)
Median house value: $239,300 (year 2000)
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Yonkers:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (50.7%)
- Hispanic (25.9%)
- Black (16.6%)
- Other race (13.4%)
- Two or more races (4.4%)
- Asian Indian (2.3%)
- Filipino (1.0%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
Ancestries: Italian (18.8%), Irish (12.9%), German (4.7%), Polish (3.3%), West Indian (3.3%), United States (2.6%).
New! New York forum
Elevation: 80 feet
Land area: 18.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Yonkers
- High school or higher: 76.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 24.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 10.3%
- Unemployed: 6.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 32.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Yonkers city
- Never married: 32.9%
- Now married: 47.3%
- Separated: 3.4%
- Widowed: 8.5%
- Divorced: 7.8%
26.4% Foreign born (13.3% Latin America, 7.4% Europe, 4.7% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +7,824 (+4.2%).
NY Real Estate - Help From A Local Expert, Scout Neighborhoods, Mortgages & More />
Real Estate For Sale - Homes For Sale Updated Daily Mls Realty Access Official Website />
For Sale By Owners - For Sale By Owner Website. Real Estate Property For Sale. />
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: York, NY New (16.8 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: NY (2.6 miles Bronxville, NY (2.9 miles Tuckahoe, Vernon, NY Mount (3.0 miles Hope, NY (3.3 miles Mount NY (3.5 miles Hastings-on-Hudson, NY (4.0 miles Eastchester, NY Pelham, (4.5 miles
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 71 buildings, average cost: $108,600
- 1997: 11 buildings, average cost: $130,000
- 1998: 19 buildings, average cost: $126,900
- 1999: 18 buildings, average cost: $135,400
- 2000: 29 buildings, average cost: $149,900
- 2001: 30 buildings, average cost: $160,200
- 2002: 20 buildings, average cost: $180,600
- 2003: 24 buildings, average cost: $156,700
- 2004: 92 buildings, average cost: $186,400
- 2005: 38 buildings, average cost: $226,400
Latitude: 40.94 N, Longitude: 73.86 W
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (26.0%), Retail trade (10.7%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -32,222 (-16.4%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 22,785 (27.7%)
Crime in Yonkers by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||4 ||16 ||6 ||13 ||13 ||15 |
| per 100,000 ||2.0 ||8.2 ||3.1 ||6.6 ||6.6 ||7.6 |
|Rapes ||33 ||37 ||15 ||11 ||25 ||23 |
| per 100,000 ||16.8 ||18.9 ||7.6 ||5.6 ||12.7 ||11.7 |
|Robberies ||500 ||465 ||473 ||419 ||454 ||457 |
| per 100,000 ||255.0 ||237.1 ||241.2 ||213.7 ||231.5 ||233.1 |
|Assaults ||378 ||463 ||441 ||450 ||387 ||447 |
| per 100,000 ||192.8 ||236.1 ||224.9 ||229.5 ||197.4 ||228.0 |
|Burglaries ||939 ||860 ||837 ||746 ||816 ||713 |
| per 100,000 ||478.9 ||438.6 ||426.9 ||380.4 ||416.1 ||363.6 |
|Thefts ||2,905 ||2,789 ||2,746 ||2,225 ||2,185 ||2,342 |
| per 100,000 ||1481.5 ||1422.3 ||1400.4 ||1134.7 ||1114.3 ||1194.4 |
|Auto thefts ||1,274 ||1,050 ||901 ||812 ||788 ||677 |
| per 100,000 ||649.7 ||535.5 ||459.5 ||414.1 ||401.9 ||345.3 |
| ||268.6 ||264.5 ||246.1 ||224.0 ||226.5 ||228.7 |
Average climate in Yonkers, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Yonkers-area historical tornado activity is above New York state average. It is 39% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/15/1970, a category 2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 4.1 miles away from the Yonkers city center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 8/7/1962, a category 2 tornado 14.2 miles away from the city center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: James Cagney - (1899-1986), actor, Jon Voight - (born 1938), actor, James Blake - (1979-), tennis player, Jimmy Kennedy - 2005 NFL player (St. Louis Rams, born: Nov 15, 1979), Mark Blount - NBA player (Boston Celtics, born: Nov 30, 1975), Muneer Moore - 2005 NFL player (New York Jets, born: Mar 15, 1977), Steven Tyler - (born 1948), musician ("Aerosmith"), Lawrence Ferlinghetti - (born 1919), poet, Richard Yates (novelist), Darren Johnson - College basketball player (Manhattan Jaspers).
Main business address for: HUDSON VALLEY HOLDING CORP (STATE COMMERCIAL BANKS), EVCI Career Colleges Holding Corp (SERVICES-EDUCATIONAL SERVICES), COMPREHENSIVE HEALTHCARE SOLUTIONS INC (MEN'S & BOYS' FURNISHINGS, WORK CLOTHING, AND ALLIED GARMENTS), ADVANCED VIRAL RESEARCH CORP (PHARMACEUTICAL PREPARATIONS).
Hospitals/medical centers in Yonkers:
- ST JOHNS RIVERSIDE HOSPITAL (976 N BROADWAY)
- ST JOSEPHS HOSPITAL (127 S BROADWAY)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Yonkers:
- LAWRENCE HOSPITAL (about 3 miles; BRONXVILLE, NY)
- MT VERNON HOSPITAL (about 3 miles; MOUNT VERNON, NY)
- OUR LADY OF MERCY MED CTR FLOR D'URSO (about 4 miles; BRONX, NY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Yonkers:
- LA GUARDIA (about 13 miles; NEW YORK, NY; ID: LGA)
- WESTCHESTER COUNTY (about 15 miles; WHITE PLAINS, NY; ID: HPN)
- TETERBORO (about 15 miles; TETERBORO, NJ; ID: TEB)
Other public-use airports nearest to Yonkers:
- EVERS (about 9 miles; NEW YORK, NY; ID: 6N6)
- LITTLE FERRY (about 13 miles; LITTLE FERRY, NJ; ID: 2N7)
- FLUSHING (about 13 miles; NEW YORK/FLUSHING/, NY; ID: FLU)
YONKERS (FOOT OF DOCK ST. & WELLS AVE.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Housing and Community Development(Local) ||103 ||$492,303 ||$57,355 ||0 ||$0 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction ||1044 ||$6,713,814 ||$77,170 ||1593 ||$2,318,645 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total ||1117 ||$3,387,545 ||$36,392 ||1177 ||$1,515,630 |
|Other and Unallocable ||39 ||$170,982 ||$52,609 ||2 ||$1,364 | Colleges/Universities in Yonkers:
- SAINT JOSEPHS SEMINARY AND COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 89; Location: 201 SEMINARY AVE; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.dunwoodie.edu; Offers Master's degree)
- COCHRAN SCHOOL OF NURSING (FT enrollment: 88; Location: 967 N BROADWAY ANDRUS PAVILLION ST JOHNS RIVERSIDE; Private, not-for-profit)
- EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY CENTER OF WESTCHESTER (Location: 26 S BROADWAY; Public)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Yonkers:
- MANHATTAN COLLEGE (about 4 miles; BRONX, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,769)
- MERCY COLLEGE-MAIN CAMPUS (about 5 miles; DOBBS FERRY, NY; FT enrollment: 6,643)
- FORDHAM UNIVERSITY (about 6 miles; BRONX, NY; FT enrollment: 11,026)
- CUNY LEHMAN COLLEGE (about 6 miles; BRONX, NY; FT enrollment: 5,818)
- MONROE COLLEGE-MAIN CAMPUS (about 6 miles; BRONX, NY; FT enrollment: 3,063)
- IONA COLLEGE (about 6 miles; NEW ROCHELLE, NY; FT enrollment: 3,532)
- THE COLLEGE OF NEW ROCHELLE (about 7 miles; NEW ROCHELLE, NY; FT enrollment: 5,414)
Public high schools in Yonkers:
- ROOSEVELT HS (Students: 1,631; Location: 631 TUCKAHOE RD; Grades: 09 - 12)
- LINCOLN HS (Students: 1,573; Location: 375 KNEELAND AVE; Grades: 09 - 12)
- GORTON HS (Students: 1,499; Location: 100 SHONNARD PL; Grades: 09 - 12)
- SAUNDERS TRADES & TECH HS (Students: 1,373; Location: 183 PALMER RD; Grades: 09 - 12)
- YONKERS HS (Students: 702; Location: 150 ROCKLAND AVE; Grades: 09 - 12)
- HS OF TRAVEL & TOURISM (Students: 156; Location: 108 SHONNARD PL; Grades: 07 - 12)
Private high schools in Yonkers:
- HUDSON VIEW CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 109; Location: 170 HUDSON TERRACE; Grades: PK - 12)
- CITY HARVEST ACADEMY (Students: 40; Location: 44 HUDSON ST; Grades: KG - 12)
- CATHEDRAL PREPARATORY SEMINARY (Students: 20; Location: 201 SEMINARY AVE; Grades: 9 - 12; Boys only)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Yonkers:
- EMERSON MS (Students: 1,247; Location: 160 BOLMER AVE; Grades: 06 - 08)
- MUSEUM MS (Students: 1,215; Location: 565 WARBURTON AVE; Grades: 06 - 08)
- YONKERS MS (Students: 1,200; Location: 150 ROCKLAND AVE; Grades: 06 - 08)
- MARK TWAIN MS (Students: 1,200; Location: 160 WOODLAWN AVE; Grades: 06 - 08)
- COMMERCE MS (Students: 1,095; Location: 190 N BROADWAY; Grades: 06 - 08)
- PEARLS HAWTHORNE SCHOOL (Students: 835; Location: 350 HAWTHORNE AVE; Grades: PK - 05)
- ENRICO FERMI SCHOOL - PERF ARTS (Students: 792; Location: 27 POPLAR ST; Grades: PK - 05)
- ROBERT C. DODSON SCHOOL (Students: 680; Location: 105 AVONDALE RD; Grades: PK - 05)
- SCHOLASTIC ACAD FOR ACAD EXCELLENCE (Students: 610; Location: 77 PARK HILL AVE; Grades: PK - 05)
- SCHOOL 13 (Students: 607; Location: 195 MCLEAN AVE; Grades: PK - 05)
Biggest private primary/middle schools in Yonkers:
- SAINT EUGENE SCHOOL (Students: 489; Location: 707 TUCKAHOE ROAD; Grades: KG - 8)
- ANNUNCIATION SCHOOL-CRESTWOOD (Students: 467; Location: 465 WESTCHESTER AVENUE; Grades: KG - 8)
- ST JOHN THE BAPTIST SCHOOL (Students: 353; Location: 670 YONKERS AVENUE; Grades: PK - 8)
- CHRIST THE KING SCHOOL (Students: 308; Location: 750 NORTH BROADWAY; Grades: PK - 8)
- ST PAUL THE APOSTLE SCHOOL (Students: 304; Location: 77 LEE AVENUE; Grades: PK - 8)
- ST BARTHOLOMEW (Students: 281; Location: 278 SAW MILL RIVER RD; Grades: PK - 8)
- ST DENIS (Students: 270; Location: 73 LAWRENCE ST; Grades: PK - 8)
- SACRED HEART GRADE SCHOOL (Students: 270; Location: 34 CONVENT AVENUE; Grades: PK - 8)
- ST ANN SCHOOL (Students: 259; Location: 40 BREWSTER AVENUE; Grades: KG - 8)
- ST PETERS SCHOOL (Students: 257; Location: 204 HAWTHORNE AVE; Grades: PK - 8)
Library in Yonkers:
- YONKERS PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $6,634,144; Location: 7 MAIN STREET; 384,773 books; 72,757 audio materials; 7,521 video materials; 691 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Yonkers: Glenwood Station (A), Ludlow Station (B), Yonkers Tennis Center (C), Greystone Station (D), Yonkers Station (E), Yonkers Raceway (F), South Westchester Executive Park (G), Sprain Lake Golf Course (H), Corinthian Yacht Club (I), Dunwoodie Golf Course (J), J F Kennedy Memorial Marina (K), Child Development Institute of Sarah Lawrence College (L), Bates House (M), Slonim House (N), MacCracken Center (O), Westland Gate House (P), Homecrest Home (Q), Sprain Ridge House of Rest (R), Communitea House (S), Dudley Lawrence Center (T).
Shopping Centers: High Ridge Plaza Shopping Center (1), Greenway Shopping Center (2), Central Plaza Shopping Center (3), Waldbaums Shopping Center (4).
Churches in Yonkers include: Holy Trinity Lutheran Church (A), Holy Trinity Catholic Church (B), Dayspring Presbyterian Church (C), Memorial African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church (D), Messiah Baptist Church (E), Saint Ann's Church (F), Saint Peter's Church (G), Calvary Center (H).
Cemeteries: Oakland Cemetery (1), Saint Marys Cemetery (2), Saint Johns Cemetery (3), Sherwood Park Cemetery (4), Saint Josephs Cemetery (5).
Lakes and reservoirs: Crestwood Lake (A), Hillview Reservoir (B), Grassy Sprain Reservoir (C).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Saw Mill River (A), Sprain Brook (B).
Parks in Yonkers include: Washington Park (1), Bregano Park (2), Yonkers War Memorial Field (3), Cochran Park (4), Columbus Park (5), Coyne Park (6), Culver Park (7), Dunn Park (8), Fay Park (9).
Post offices: North Station Yonkers Post Office (A), South Station Yonkers Post Office (B), East Station Yonkers Post Office (C), Yonkers Post Office (D), Centuck Station Yonkers Post Office (E).
Yonkers compared to New York state average:
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Number of rooms per house below state average.
- Population density significantly above state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Yonkers:
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCBS (880 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WABC (770 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- WBBR (1130 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BLOOMBERG COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WOR (710 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WEPN (1050 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK AM RADIO, LLC)
- WADO (1280 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WADO-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- WINS (1010 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WQEW (1560 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: THE NEW YORK TIMES ELECTRONIC MEDIA COMPANY)
- WLIB (1190 AM; 30 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ICBC BROADCAST HOLDINGS-NY, INC.)
- WWRL (1600 AM; 25 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ACCESS.1 COMMUNICATIONS CORP.-NY)
- WWRV (1330 AM; 10 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: RADIO VISION CRISTIANA MANAGEMENT CORP.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Yonkers:
- WPLJ (95.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WPLJ-FM RADIO, INC.)
- WRTN (93.5 FM; NEW ROCHELLE, NY; Owner: HUDSON-WESTCHESTER RADIO, INC.)
- WFDU (89.1 FM; TEANECK, NJ; Owner: FAIRLEIGH DICKINSON UNIVERSITY)
- WFAS-FM (103.9 FM; WHITE PLAINS, NY; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WKCR-FM (89.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: TRUSTEES OF COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY IN NEW YORK)
- WFUV (90.7 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: FORDHAM UNIVERSITY)
- WKTU (103.5 FM; LAKE SUCCESS, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- WQCD (101.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WAXQ (104.3 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMFM NEW YORK LICENSES, LLC)
- WHTZ (100.3 FM; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WWPR-FM (105.1 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCBS-FM (101.1 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCAA (105.9 FM; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: WADO-AM LICENSE CORP. ("WADO"))
- WBAI (99.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: PACIFICA FOUNDATION, INC.)
- WBLS (107.5 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ICBC BROADCAST HOLDINGS-NY, INC.)
- WLTW (106.7 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMFM NEW YORK LICENSES, LLC)
- WQXR-FM (96.3 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: THE NEW YORK TIMES ELECTRONIC MEDIA COMPANY)
- WSKQ-FM (97.9 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WSKQ LICENSING, INC.)
- WXRK (92.3 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WQHT (97.1 FM; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: EMMIS LICENSE CORPORATION OF NEW YORK)
TV broadcast stations around Yonkers:
- W68DN (Channel 68; CHERRY HILL, ETC., NJ; Owner: MARCIA COHEN)
- WNYW (Channel 5; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- W38CL (Channel 38; BRONX, NY; Owner: RENARD COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WCBS-TV (Channel 2; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: CBS BROADCASTING INC.)
- WXNY-LP (Channel 32; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ISLAND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WABC-TV (Channel 7; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: AMERICAN BROADCASTING COMPANIES, INC)
- WPIX (Channel 11; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WPIX, INC.)
- WWOR-TV (Channel 9; SECAUCUS, NJ; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WNJU (Channel 47; LINDEN, NJ; Owner: WNJU LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WFUT (Channel 68; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: UNIVISION NEW YORK LLC)
- WNYE-TV (Channel 25; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK CITY BOARD OF EDUCATION)
- WPXN-TV (Channel 31; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WNBC (Channel 4; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NATIONAL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WNET (Channel 13; NEWARK, NJ; Owner: EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WXTV (Channel 41; PATERSON, NJ; Owner: WXTV LICENSE PARTNERSHIP, G.P.)
- WKOB-LP (Channel 53; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WKOB COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WEBR-CA (Channel 17; MANHATTAN, NY; Owner: K LICENSEE INC.)
- WRNN-LP (Channel 57; NYACK, NY; Owner: LP NYACK LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- W60AI (Channel 60; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: VENTANA TELEVISION, INC.)
- WNYX-LP (Channel 35; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ISLAND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- W33BS (Channel 33; DARIEN, CT; Owner: CT&T BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WNYN-LP (Channel 39; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ISLAND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WNXY-LP (Channel 26; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: ISLAND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WPXO-LP (Channel 34; EAST ORANGE, NJ; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WFME-TV (Channel 66; WEST MILFORD, NJ; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.