Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 18,670. Estimated population in July 2005: 19,069 (+2.1% change)
Males: 8,880 (47.6%), Females: 9,790 (52.4%)
Median resident age: 38.5 years
Median household income: $57,358 (year 2000)
Median house value: $156,200 (year 2000)
Sylvania, OH residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Sylvania:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.2%)
- Hispanic (1.6%)
- Black (1.0%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
- Asian Indian (0.7%)
- Other race (0.6%)
- Chinese (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (32.9%), Irish (15.8%), English (11.5%), Polish (10.7%), Italian (6.2%), United States (4.9%).Ohio
Elevation: 665 feet
Land area: 5.8 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Sylvania
- High school or higher: 94.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 43.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 15.3%
- Unemployed: 2.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sylvania city
- Never married: 20.9%
- Now married: 62.0%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 7.8%
- Divorced: 8.2%
4.8% Foreign born (2.2% Asia, 1.7% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,214 (+7.0%).
Ohio Homes - immediate access to thousands of local listings in Ohio />
OH Real Estate - properties and homes Meet Dianna Hosta, search MLS />
Homes For Sale - 1000's of listings anytime, anywhere. Find your next home here! />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: OH Toledo, (9.3 miles Sylvania )
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: IL Chicago, (273.3 miles pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Hills, OH Ottawa (5.2 miles MI (6.3 miles Lambertville, OH (6.4 miles Holland, OH (8.9 miles Berkey, OH Toledo, (9.3 miles MI (9.4 miles Temperance, OH Maumee, (10.3 miles OH Perrysburg, (12.2 miles
Latitude: 41.71 N, Longitude: 83.70 W
Area code: 419
Sylvania, Ohio business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (28.1%), Manufacturing (14.7%), Retail trade (11.8%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (10.1%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -700 (-3.7%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,932 (20.7%)
Crime in Sylvania by Year
|Type ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||1 ||0 ||1 |
| per 100,000 ||5.4 ||0.0 ||5.4 |
|Robberies ||1 ||7 ||3 |
| per 100,000 ||5.4 ||37.5 ||16.1 |
|Assaults ||5 ||3 ||1 |
| per 100,000 ||26.8 ||16.1 ||5.4 |
|Burglaries ||56 ||38 ||50 |
| per 100,000 ||299.9 ||203.5 ||267.8 |
|Thefts ||238 ||226 ||213 |
| per 100,000 ||1274.8 ||1210.5 ||1140.9 |
|Auto thefts ||7 ||12 ||9 |
| per 100,000 ||37.5 ||64.3 ||48.2 |
| ||84.1 ||82.3 ||76.3 |
Average climate in Sylvania, Ohio
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Sylvania-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Ohio state average. It is 75% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/11/1965, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 7.6 miles away from the Sylvania city center killed 18 people and injured 236 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 6/8/1953, a category 4 tornado 10.3 miles away from the city center killed 4 people and injured 18 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Terry Cook - Craftsman Truck series NASCAR driver (born: Feb 26, 1968).
Hospital/medical center in Sylvania:
- FLOWER HOSPITAL (5200 HARROUN RD)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Sylvania:
- ST ANNE MERCY HOSPITAL (about 5 miles; TOLEDO, OH)
- MEDICAL COLLEGE OF OHIO AT TOLEDO (about 6 miles; TOLEDO, OH)
- TOLEDO HOSPITAL (about 8 miles; TOLEDO, OH)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Sylvania:
- TOLEDO EXPRESS (about 12 miles; TOLEDO, OH; ID: TOL)
- WILLOW RUN (about 39 miles; DETROIT, MI; ID: YIP)
- DETROIT METROPOLITAN WAYNE COUNTY (about 42 miles; DETROIT, MI; ID: DTW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Sylvania:
- TOLEDO SUBURBAN (about 4 miles; LAMBERTVILLE, MI; ID: DUH)
- ERIE AERODROME (about 14 miles; ERIE, MI; ID: M84)
- SEAGATE HELISTOP (about 14 miles; TOLEDO, OH; ID: 6T2)
Amtrak station near Sylvania:
- 13 miles: TOLEDO (415 EMERALD AVE.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Police Protection - Officers ||33 ||$154,679 ||$56,246 ||0 ||$0 |
|Judicial and Legal ||19 ||$63,830 ||$40,313 ||8 ||$5,508 |
|Financial Administration ||6 ||$25,149 ||$50,298 ||0 ||$0 |
|Other and Unallocable ||3 ||$11,429 ||$45,716 ||0 ||$0 |
|Water Supply ||9 ||$35,716 ||$47,621 ||0 ||$0 |
|Parks and Recreation ||11 ||$38,501 ||$42,001 ||0 ||$0 |
|Other Government Administration ||14 ||$39,945 ||$34,238 ||0 ||$0 |
|Sewerage ||10 ||$37,425 ||$44,910 ||0 ||$0 |
|Streets and Highways ||18 ||$74,570 ||$49,713 ||0 ||$0 |
|Police - Other ||7 ||$27,662 ||$47,420 ||0 ||$0 |
|Totals for Government ||130 ||$508,906 ||$46,975 ||8 ||$5,508 |College/University in Sylvania:
- LOURDES COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 772; Location: 6832 CONVENT BLVD; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.lourdes.edu)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sylvania:
- OWENS COMMUNITY COLLEGE-TOLEDO CAMPUS (about 6 miles; TOLEDO, OH; Full-time enrollment: 7,809)
- UNIVERSITY OF TOLEDO (about 8 miles; TOLEDO, OH; FT enrollment: 15,999)
- BOWLING GREEN STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 23 miles; BOWLING GREEN, OH; FT enrollment: 16,537)
- EASTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY (about 36 miles; YPSILANTI, MI; FT enrollment: 17,476)
- WASHTENAW COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 39 miles; ANN ARBOR, MI; FT enrollment: 5,436)
- UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN-ANN ARBOR (about 40 miles; ANN ARBOR, MI; FT enrollment: 35,684)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF FINDLAY (about 47 miles; FINDLAY, OH; FT enrollment: 3,508)
Public high schools in Sylvania:
- SYLVANIA NORTHVIEW HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,389; Location: 5403 SILICA DR; Grades: 09 - 12)
- SYLVANIA SOUTHVIEW HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,257; Location: 7225 SYLVANIA AVE; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in Sylvania:
- CATHEDRAL CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 120; Location: 5242 MCGREGOR LANE; Grades: PK - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Sylvania:
- SYLVANIA MCCORD JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 692; Location: 4304 N MCCORD RD; Grades: 06 - 08)
- SYLVANIA ARBOR HILLS JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 669; Location: 5334 WHITEFORD RD; Grades: 06 - 09)
- HIGHLAND ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 658; Location: 7720 ERIE ST; Grades: KG - 05)
- SYLVANIA TIMBERSTONE JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 655; Location: 9000 SYLVANIA AVE; Grades: 06 - 08)
- HILL VIEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 391; Location: 5424 WHITEFORD RD; Grades: PK - 05)
- MAPLEWOOD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 378; Location: 6769 MAPLEWOOD AVE; Grades: PK - 05)
- SYLVAN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 370; Location: 4830 WICKFORD DR E; Grades: KG - 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Sylvania:
- ST JOSEPH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 771; Location: 5411 SOUTH MAIN STREET; Grades: KG - 8)
- ST FRANCIS EDUC CTR (Students: 288; Location: 6832 CONVENT BOULEVARD; Grades: PK - 8)
- HEBREW ACADEMY OF TOLEDO (Students: 110; Location: 6465 SYLVANIA AVENUE; Grades: KG - 7)
Notable locations in Sylvania: Sylvania Country Club (A), Sylvania Water Works (B), Highland Meadows Golf Course (C), Highland Meadows Country Club (D), Mother Adelaide Hall (E), Sophia Counseling Center (F), Alverno Studio (G), Umbria Hall (H), Saint Joseph Hall (I), Saint Francis Dormitory (J), Saint Clare Hall (K), Saint Anthony Hall (L), Rosary Care Center (M), Carmel Hall (N), Lourdes Hall (O), Maria Hall (P), Assisi Hall (Q), Regina Hall (R), The Franciscan Center (S), Portiuncula (T).
Shopping Centers: Sylvania Country Squire Shopping Center (1), Southbriar Shopping Center (2), Saxon Square Shopping Center (3), Wickford Woods Shopping Center (4).
Churches in Sylvania include: King Of Glory Church (A), Olivet Church (B), Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel (C), Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (D), First Congregational Church (E), First United Methodist Church (F), Saint Josephs Roman Catholic Church (G), Cathedral of Praise (H).
Cemeteries: Toledo Memorial Park (1), Ravine Cemetery (2), Porta Coeli Cemetery (3).
Creek: Tenmile Creek (A).
Park in Sylvania: Molander Park (1).
Post office: (A).
Sylvania compared to Ohio state average:
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Number of rooms per house above state average.
- House age below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Sylvania:
- WFDF (910 AM; 50 kW; FLINT, MI; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WTOD (1560 AM; daytime; 5 kW; TOLEDO, OH; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WJR (760 AM; 50 kW; DETROIT, MI; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WCHB (1200 AM; 50 kW; TAYLOR, MI; Owner: RADIO ONE OF DETROIT, LLC)
- WDFN (1130 AM; 50 kW; DETROIT, MI; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WSPD (1370 AM; 5 kW; TOLEDO, OH; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WWJ (950 AM; 50 kW; DETROIT, MI; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WXYT (1270 AM; 50 kW; DETROIT, MI; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORP. OF DETROIT)
- WTKA (1050 AM; 10 kW; ANN ARBOR, MI; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WDMN (1520 AM; 1 kW; TOLEDO, OH)
- WCWA (1230 AM; 1 kW; TOLEDO, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WDEO (990 AM; 9 kW; YPSILANTI, MI; Owner: WORD BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WJYM (730 AM; 1 kW; BOWLING GREEN, OH; Owner: FAMILY WORSHIP CENTER CHURCH, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Sylvania:
- WYSZ (89.3 FM; MAUMEE, OH; Owner: SIDE BY SIDE, INC.)
- W264AK (100.7 FM; TOLEDO, OH; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- WPOS-FM (102.3 FM; HOLLAND, OH; Owner: THE MAUMEE VALLEY BROADCASTING ASSN.)
- WOTL (90.3 FM; TOLEDO, OH; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- WWWM-FM (105.5 FM; SYLVANIA, OH; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WGTE-FM (91.3 FM; TOLEDO, OH; Owner: THE PUBLIC B/C FOUNDATION OF NW OHIO)
- WRVF (101.5 FM; TOLEDO, OH; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WVKS (92.5 FM; TOLEDO, OH; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WXQQ (96.9 FM; WAUSEON, OH; Owner: CORNERSTONE CHURCH, INC.)
- WKKO (99.9 FM; TOLEDO, OH; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WIOT (104.7 FM; TOLEDO, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WTWR-FM (98.3 FM; LUNA PIER, MI; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WJUC (107.3 FM; SWANTON, OH; Owner: WELCH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WRQN (93.5 FM; BOWLING GREEN, OH; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WRWK (106.5 FM; DELTA, OH; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WAAQ (88.3 FM; ONSTED, MI; Owner: GREAT LAKES COMMUNITY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WXTS-FM (88.3 FM; TOLEDO, OH; Owner: BD OF ED TOLEDO CITY SCHOOL DIST)
- WLEN (103.9 FM; ADRIAN, MI; Owner: LENAWEE BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WXUT (88.3 FM; TOLEDO, OH; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF TOLEDO)
TV broadcast stations around Sylvania:
- WUPW (Channel 36; TOLEDO, OH; Owner: WUPW BROADCASTING, LLC)
- W64BM (Channel 64; TOLEDO, OH; Owner: VENTANA TELEVISION, INC.)
- WTOL (Channel 11; TOLEDO, OH; Owner: LIBCO, INC.)
- WGTE-TV (Channel 30; TOLEDO, OH; Owner: THE PUBLIC BROADCASTING FOUNDATION OF NW OHIO)
- WNWO-TV (Channel 24; TOLEDO, OH; Owner: RAYCOM NATIONAL, INC.)
- WTVG (Channel 13; TOLEDO, OH; Owner: WTVG, INC.)
- W59DC (Channel 59; HOUGHTON LAKE, MI; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WBTL-LP (Channel 34; TOLEDO, OH; Owner: VENTURE TECHNOLOGIES GROUP, LLC)
- WNGT-LP (Channel 48; TOLEDO, OH; Owner: L & M VIDEO PRODUCTIONS, INC.)
- W22CO (Channel 22; TOLEDO, OH; Owner: NATIONAL MINORITY T.V., INC.)
- WLMB (Channel 40; TOLEDO, OH; Owner: DOMINION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WBGU-TV (Channel 27; BOWLING GREEN, OH; Owner: BOWLING GREEN STATE UNIVERSITY)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.