Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 9,242. Estimated population in July 2005: 8,944 (-3.2% change)
Males: 4,243 (45.9%), Females: 4,999 (54.1%)
Median resident age: 36.9 years
Median household income: $35,425 (year 2000)
Median house value: $84,300 (year 2000)
Middletown, PA residents, houses, and apartments details
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Middletown:
- White Non-Hispanic (87.1%)
- Black (7.3%)
- Hispanic (3.2%)
- Two or more races (2.1%)
- Other race (0.9%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (35.5%), Irish (13.7%), United States (7.4%), Italian (6.9%), English (6.3%), Dutch (5.3%).
New! Pennsylvania forum
Land area: 2.0 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Middletown
- High school or higher: 80.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.6%
- Unemployed: 5.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Middletown borough
- Never married: 28.4%
- Now married: 46.4%
- Separated: 2.6%
- Widowed: 11.5%
- Divorced: 11.2%
2.3% Foreign born (1.1% Europe, 0.7% Asia, 0.3% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +106 (+1.2%).
Real Estate - Source For PA Real Estate. View Listings & More Here Today! />
for sale in York Pa - realtor specializes in York Pa Listings, New Homes, Relocation Etc />
Real Estate - Current & Local Home Listings. Find Real Estate In PA. Free! />
Real Estate - Millions of Homes for Sale. Virtual Tours & Expert Advice. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: PA Lancaster, (31.2 miles )
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MD Baltimore, (62.1 miles pop. 651,154).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: PA Philadelphia, (109.7 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: PA (0.7 miles Royalton, PA (3.5 miles Goldsboro, PA (3.9 miles Highspire, PA (4.7 miles Hummelstown, Green, PA Valley (5.4 miles PA (5.6 miles Rutherford, Haven, PA (6.2 miles York PA (6.6 miles Bressler-Enhaut-Oberlin,
Latitude: 40.20 N, Longitude: 76.73 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 717
Middletown, Pennsylvania business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (15.6%), Transportation and warehousing,and utilities (13.5%), Retail trade (11.5%), Manufacturing (10.4%), Public administration (10.3%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -1,996 (-21.6%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 587 (13.4%)
Crime in Middletown by Year
|Type ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||3 ||1 ||1 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||32.5 ||10.8 ||10.8 |
|Rapes ||0 ||1 ||2 ||2 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||10.8 ||21.6 ||21.6 |
|Robberies ||10 ||10 ||12 ||7 |
| per 100,000 ||108.2 ||108.2 ||129.8 ||75.7 |
|Assaults ||17 ||24 ||16 ||16 |
| per 100,000 ||183.9 ||259.7 ||173.1 ||173.1 |
|Burglaries ||41 ||39 ||34 ||22 |
| per 100,000 ||443.6 ||422.0 ||367.9 ||238.0 |
|Thefts ||205 ||189 ||151 ||113 |
| per 100,000 ||2218.1 ||2045.0 ||1633.8 ||1222.7 |
|Auto thefts ||7 ||7 ||8 ||4 |
| per 100,000 ||75.7 ||75.7 ||86.6 ||43.3 |
| ||195.1 ||238.6 ||191.1 ||145.9 |
Average climate in Middletown, Pennsylvania
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Middletown-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Pennsylvania state average. It is 30% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/14/2004, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 11.7 miles away from the Middletown city center caused $18 million in damages.
On 4/5/1952, a category 3 tornado 17.2 miles away from the city center injured 4 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Hospitals/medical centers near Middletown:
- MILTON S HERSHEY MEDICAL CENTER,THE (about 9 miles; HERSHEY, PA)
- PINNACLE HEALTH SYSTEM (about 10 miles; HARRISBURG, PA)
- HARRISBURG STATE HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; HARRISBURG, PA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Middletown:
- HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL (about 2 miles; HARRISBURG, PA; ID: MDT)
- LANCASTER (about 32 miles; LANCASTER, PA; ID: LNS)
- READING REGIONAL/CARL A SPAATZ FIELD (about 56 miles; READING, PA; ID: RDG)
Other public-use airports nearest to Middletown:
- CAPITAL CITY (about 9 miles; HARRISBURG, PA; ID: CXY)
- REIGLE FIELD (about 13 miles; PALMYRA, PA; ID: 58N)
- DONEGAL SPRINGS AIRPARK (about 14 miles; MOUNT JOY/MARIETTA, PA; ID: N71)
Amtrak stations near Middletown:
- 9 miles: ELIZABETHTOWN (WILSON AVE.). Services: public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
- 12 miles: HARRISBURG (4TH & CHESTNUT STS.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
- 17 miles: MOUNT JOY (DELTA & HENRY STS.). Services: public payphones, free short-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges/Universities in Middletown:
- PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY-PENN ST HARRISBURG (Full-time enrollment: 2,064; Location: 777 W HARRISBURG PKE; Public; Website: www.hbg.psu.edu; Offers Doctor's degree)
- ELECTRONIC INSTITUTE-MIDDLETOWN (FT enrollment: 82; Location: 19 JAMESWAY PLZ; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.ei.tec.pa.us)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Middletown:
- HARRISBURG AREA COMMUNITY COLLEGE-HARRISBURG (about 13 miles; HARRISBURG, PA; Full-time enrollment: 4,653)
- YORK COLLEGE PENNSYLVANIA (about 16 miles; YORK, PA; FT enrollment: 4,541)
- MESSIAH COLLEGE (about 19 miles; GRANTHAM, PA; FT enrollment: 2,761)
- MILLERSVILLE UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 30 miles; MILLERSVILLE, PA; FT enrollment: 6,384)
- DICKINSON COLLEGE (about 33 miles; CARLISLE, PA; FT enrollment: 2,098)
- GETTYSBURG COLLEGE (about 43 miles; GETTYSBURG, PA; FT enrollment: 2,216)
- WESTERN MARYLAND COLLEGE (about 48 miles; WESTMINSTER, MD; FT enrollment: 2,245)
Public high school in Middletown:
- MIDDLETOWN AREA HS (Students: 738; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Middletown:
- FEASER MS (Students: 623; Grades: 06 - 08)
- ROBERT REID EL SCH (Students: 505; Grades: KG - 04)
- KUNKEL EL SCH (Students: 450; Grades: KG - 04)
- LONDONDERRY EL SCH (Students: 437; Grades: KG - 05)
- FINK EL SCH (Students: 230; Grades: 04 - 06)
Private primary/middle schools in Middletown:
- SEVEN SORROWS OF B V M SCHOOL (Students: 209; Location: 401 CONWAGO STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
- SONSHINE LEARNING STATION (Students: 45; Location: 500 PENN STREET; Grades: PK - 1)
- MIDDLETOWN CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 38; Location: SPRUCE - EMAUS STREETS; Grades: PK - 8)
- STEPPING STONE INC (Students: 29; Location: 777 W HARRISBURG PIKE; Grades: PK - KG)
Library in Middletown:
- MIDDLETOWN PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $303,888; Location: 20 NORTH CATHERINE ST; 28,947 books; 939 audio materials; 783 video materials; 54 serial subscriptions)
| || |
Notable locations in Middletown: Rescue Hose Company Number Three (A), Union Hose Company Number One (B), Borough of Middletown Mill Street Substation (C), Borough of Middletown Water Treatment Plant (D), Middletown Public Library (E), Liberty Fire Company Number One (F).
Churches in Middletown include: Saint Michael and All Angels Church (A), Evangelical United Methodist Church (B), First Church of God (C), First Zion Baptist Church (D), Valley Baptist Church (E), Riverside Church (F), Middletown Presbyterian Congregation (G), Calvary Orthodox Presbyterian Church (H).
Park in Middletown: Swatara Park (1).
Middletown compared to Pennsylvania state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
- Population density above state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Middletown:
- WSBA (910 AM; 5 kW; YORK, PA; Owner: WSBA LICO, INC.)
- WHP (580 AM; 5 kW; HARRISBURG, PA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCBM (680 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WCBM MARYLAND, INC.)
- WTKT (1460 AM; 5 kW; HARRISBURG, PA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBAL (1090 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: HEARST RADIO, INC.)
- WWII (720 AM; daytime; 2 kW; SHIREMANSTOWN, PA; Owner: HENSLEY BROADCASTING)
- WGOP (700 AM; daytime; 25 kW; WALKERSVILLE, MD; Owner: BIRACH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WOYK (1350 AM; 5 kW; YORK, PA; Owner: WOYK, INC.)
- WWLG (1370 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: M-10 BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WWSM (1510 AM; daytime; 5 kW; ANNVILLE-CLEONA, PA; Owner: PATRICK H. SICKAFUS)
- WEEU (830 AM; 20 kW; READING, PA; Owner: WEEU BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WLBR (1270 AM; 5 kW; LEBANON, PA; Owner: LEBANON BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMET (1150 AM; 50 kW; GAITHERSBURG, MD; Owner: BELTWAY ACQUISITION CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Middletown:
- WMSS (91.1 FM; MIDDLETOWN, PA; Owner: MIDDLETOWN AREA SCHOOL DISTRICT)
- WCAT-FM (106.7 FM; HERSHEY, PA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHBO (92.7 FM; STARVIEW, PA; Owner: HALL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WITF-FM (89.5 FM; HARRISBURG, PA; Owner: WITF, INC.)
- WROZ (101.3 FM; LANCASTER, PA; Owner: HALL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WARM-FM (103.3 FM; YORK, PA; Owner: WSBA LICO, INC.)
- WTPA (93.5 FM; MECHANICSBURG, PA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WRVV (97.3 FM; HARRISBURG, PA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHKF (99.3 FM; HARRISBURG, PA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WQXA-FM (105.7 FM; YORK, PA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- W220BX (91.9 FM; MARIETTA, PA; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- WNNK-FM (104.1 FM; HARRISBURG, PA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WRBT (94.9 FM; HARRISBURG, PA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSOX (96.1 FM; RED LION, PA; Owner: LANCASTER-YORK BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WJAZ (91.7 FM; SUMMERDALE, PA; Owner: TEMPLE UNIV. COMMWEALTH SYS. HGHR ED)
- WYCR (98.5 FM; YORK-HANOVER, PA; Owner: RADIO HANOVER, INC.)
- WWKL (92.1 FM; PALMYRA, PA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WGTY (107.7 FM; GETTYSBURG, PA; Owner: TIMES AND NEWS PUBLISHING COMPANY)
- WXPH (88.1 FM; HARRISBURG, PA; Owner: THE TRUSTEES OF THE UNIV. OF PA.)
- WLAN-FM (96.9 FM; LANCASTER, PA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Middletown:
- WPMT (Channel 43; YORK, PA; Owner: TRIBUNE TELEVISION COMPANY)
- WGAL (Channel 8; LANCASTER, PA; Owner: WGAL HEARST-ARGYLE TELEVISION, INC.)
- WITF-TV (Channel 33; HARRISBURG, PA; Owner: WITF, INC.)
- WLYH-TV (Channel 15; LANCASTER, PA; Owner: TELEVISION STATION GROUP LICENSE SUBSIDIARY, LLC)
- WHP-TV (Channel 21; HARRISBURG, PA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHTM-TV (Channel 27; HARRISBURG, PA; Owner: HARRISBURG TELEVISION, INC.)
- WGCB-TV (Channel 49; RED LION, PA; Owner: RED LION BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- W23AY (Channel 23; YORK, PA; Owner: WIRELESS CABLE TV OF PA, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.