Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 15,549. Estimated population in July 2005: 14,764 (-5.0% change)
Males: 7,247 (46.6%), Females: 8,302 (53.4%)
Median resident age: 40.5 years
Median household income: $30,137 (year 2000)
Median house value: $57,100 (year 2000)
Pottsville, PA residents, houses, and apartments details
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Pottsville:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.1%)
- Black (2.3%)
- Hispanic (1.2%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
- Other race (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (30.0%), Irish (23.8%), Italian (10.5%), Polish (8.7%), Dutch (8.2%), Welsh (4.6%).
New! Pennsylvania forum
Elevation: 659 feet
Land area: 4.2 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Pottsville
- High school or higher: 75.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.3%
- Unemployed: 6.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 20.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Pottsville city
- Never married: 27.3%
- Now married: 48.4%
- Separated: 1.8%
- Widowed: 12.5%
- Divorced: 9.9%
1.3% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -1,357 (-8.0%).
a House in PA - Real Estate Agents Compete for your Business. Free - Easy />
Housing & Rentals - student housing Furnished Bedrooms Blairsville, PA />
Fine Homes - guide to buying/selling real estate in Schuylkill County. />
Apartments - apartments in Pennsylvania. Detailed property info & pictures. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: PA Reading, (30.4 miles )
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: PA Philadelphia, (86.8 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Mount Carbon, PA (1.4 miles) , PA (1.5 miles Mechanicsville, Alto, PA (2.2 miles Palo PA (2.4 miles Seltzer, Clair, PA St. (2.4 miles Carbon, PA (2.6 miles Port PA (2.9 miles Marlin, PA (3.9 miles Cressona,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 3 buildings, average cost: $129,000
- 1997: 3 buildings, average cost: $153,500
- 1998: 5 buildings, average cost: $108,300
- 1999: 6 buildings, average cost: $86,800
- 2000: 6 buildings, average cost: $165,900
- 2001: 4 buildings, average cost: $93,300
- 2002: 5 buildings, average cost: $83,500
- 2003: 7 buildings, average cost: $122,600
- 2004: 20 buildings, average cost: $103,000
- 2005: 2 buildings, average cost: $167,500
Latitude: 40.69 N, Longitude: 76.20 W
Area code: 570
Pottsville, Pennsylvania business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (25.4%), Manufacturing (18.2%), Retail trade (11.4%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +3,628 (+23.3%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 2,736 (43.7%)
Crime in Pottsville by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 |
|Murders ||1 ||0 ||1 ||1 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||6.4 ||0.0 ||6.4 ||6.4 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||9 ||2 ||2 ||6 ||4 |
| per 100,000 ||57.9 ||12.9 ||12.9 ||38.6 ||25.7 |
|Robberies ||1 ||5 ||11 ||8 ||6 |
| per 100,000 ||6.4 ||32.2 ||70.7 ||51.5 ||38.6 |
|Assaults ||27 ||47 ||54 ||40 ||33 |
| per 100,000 ||173.6 ||302.3 ||347.3 ||257.3 ||212.2 |
|Burglaries ||50 ||37 ||44 ||34 ||43 |
| per 100,000 ||321.6 ||238.0 ||283.0 ||218.7 ||276.5 |
|Thefts ||268 ||296 ||307 ||253 ||240 |
| per 100,000 ||1723.6 ||1903.7 ||1974.4 ||1627.1 ||1543.5 |
|Auto thefts ||17 ||36 ||18 ||34 ||20 |
| per 100,000 ||109.3 ||231.5 ||115.8 ||218.7 ||128.6 |
| ||166.4 ||186.6 ||210.3 ||186.6 ||155.7 |
Average climate in Pottsville, Pennsylvania
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Pottsville-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Pennsylvania state average. It is 17% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/18/1970, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 19.8 miles away from the Pottsville city center killed one person and injured 5 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 5/31/1998, a category 3 tornado 25.2 miles away from the city center injured 7 people and caused $1 million in damages.
Birthplace of: Gary Becker - (born 1930), economist.
Hospitals/medical centers in Pottsville:
- GOOD SAMARITAN REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (700 EAST NORWEGIAN STREET)
- POTTSVILLE HOSPITAL-WARNE CLINIC (420 S JACKSON ST)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Pottsville:
- ASHLAND REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 12 miles; ASHLAND, PA)
- ST LUKE'S MINERS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; COALDALE, PA)
- HAZLETON GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 25 miles; HAZLETON, PA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Pottsville:
- READING REGIONAL/CARL A SPAATZ FIELD (about 29 miles; READING, PA; ID: RDG)
- LANCASTER (about 40 miles; LANCASTER, PA; ID: LNS)
- HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL (about 52 miles; HARRISBURG, PA; ID: MDT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Pottsville:
- SCHUYLKILL COUNTY /JOE ZERBEY/ (about 12 miles; POTTSVILLE, PA; ID: ZER)
- GRIMES (about 15 miles; BETHEL, PA; ID: 8N1)
- FARMERS PRIDE (about 24 miles; FREDERICKSBURG, PA; ID: 9N7)
Local government website:
Colleges/Universities in Pottsville:
- SCHUYLKILL INSTITUTE OF BUSINESS TECHNOLOGY (Full-time enrollment: 189; Location: 171 RED HORSE RD; Private, for-profit; Website: www.sibtinpa.com)
- POTTSVILLE HOSPITAL SCHOOL OF NURSING (FT enrollment: 67; Location: WASHINGTON AND JACKSON ST; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.pottsville.com/hospital/nursing.htm)
- EMPIRE BEAUTY SCHOOL (FT enrollment: 39; Location: 324 N CENTRE ST; Private, for-profit; Website: www.empirebeauty.com)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Pottsville:
- BLOOMSBURG UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 28 miles; BLOOMSBURG, PA; Full-time enrollment: 6,880)
- PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY-PENN STATE BERKS (about 29 miles; READING, PA; FT enrollment: 2,003)
- KUTZTOWN UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 32 miles; KUTZTOWN, PA; FT enrollment: 7,101)
- LUZERNE COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 38 miles; NANTICOKE, PA; FT enrollment: 3,582)
- LEHIGH CARBON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 41 miles; SCHNECKSVILLE, PA; FT enrollment: 2,145)
- WILKES UNIVERSITY (about 45 miles; WILKES BARRE, PA; FT enrollment: 2,438)
- MUHLENBERG COLLEGE (about 48 miles; Allentown, PA; FT enrollment: 2,334)
Public high school in Pottsville:
- POTTSVILLE AREA HS (Students: 1,181; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in Pottsville:
- NATIVITY B V M HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 268; Location: 1 LAWTONS HILL; Grades: 9 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Pottsville:
- CLARKE EL CTR (Students: 978; Grades: KG - 04)
- LENGEL MS (Students: 901; Grades: 05 - 08)
Private primary/middle schools in Pottsville:
- ALL SAINTS CATHOLIC ELEMENTARY (Students: 261; Location: 112 SOUTH 7TH STREET; Grades: KG - 8)
- ST JOSEPH CENTER FOR SPECIAL L (Students: 27; Location: 2075 W NORWEGIAN STREET; Grades: UG - UG)
Library in Pottsville:
- POTTSVILLE FREE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $903,596; Location: 215 W MARKET ST; 86,466 books; 18,228 audio materials; 5,344 video materials; 315 serial subscriptions)
| || |
Notable locations in Pottsville: York Farm Junction (A), Westwood (B).
Pottsville compared to Pennsylvania state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age significantly above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Pottsville:
- WPPA (1360 AM; 5 kW; POTTSVILLE, PA; Owner: POTTSVILLE BROADCASTING CO.)
- WPAM (1450 AM; 1 kW; POTTSVILLE, PA; Owner: CURRAN COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WEEU (830 AM; 20 kW; READING, PA; Owner: WEEU BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WWJZ (640 AM; 50 kW; MOUNT HOLLY, NJ; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WVCH (740 AM; 50 kW; CHESTER, PA; Owner: WVCH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WZZD (990 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: PENNSYLVANIA MEDIA ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WPEN (950 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: GREATER PHILADELPHIA RADIO, INC.)
- KYW (1060 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WOGY (1300 AM; 5 kW; WEST HAZLETON, PA; Owner: ENTERCOM WILKES-BARRE SCRANTON, LLC)
- WCBM (680 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WCBM MARYLAND, INC.)
- WNWR (1540 AM; 50 kW; PHILADELPHIA, PA)
- WLBR (1270 AM; 5 kW; LEBANON, PA; Owner: LEBANON BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WLSH (1410 AM; 5 kW; LANSFORD, PA; Owner: J-SYSTEMS FRANCHISING CORP.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Pottsville:
- W256AB (99.1 FM; POTTSVILLE, PA; Owner: TEMPLE UNIV OF COMMONWEALTH SYSTEM)
- W235AD (94.9 FM; POTTSVILLE, PA; Owner: NORTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA ED TV ASSC)
- W220BE (91.9 FM; ST. CLAIR, PA; Owner: SALT & LIGHT MEDIA MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WAVT-FM (101.9 FM; POTTSVILLE, PA; Owner: POTTSVILLE BROADCASTING CO.)
- WFYY (106.5 FM; BLOOMSBURG, PA; Owner: RADIO FRIENDZ, INC.)
- WMGH-FM (105.5 FM; TAMAQUA, PA; Owner: J-SYSTEMS FRANCHISING CORP.)
- W299AF (107.7 FM; CATAWISSA, PA; Owner: SALT & LIGHT MEDIA MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WBSX (97.9 FM; HAZLETON, PA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WSPI (99.7 FM; MOUNT CARMEL, PA; Owner: H & P COMMUNICATIONS, LTD)
- WRTL (90.7 FM; EPHRATA, PA; Owner: TEMPLE UNIV OF COMMONWEALTH SYSTEM)
- WMGS (92.9 FM; WILKES-BARRE, PA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WIOV-FM (105.1 FM; EPHRATA, PA; Owner: REGENT BROADCASTING OF LANCASTER, INC.)
- WVIA-FM (89.9 FM; SCRANTON, PA; Owner: NORTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA EDUCATIONAL TV ASSN.)
- W290AC (105.9 FM; PALMERTON, PA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- WBHT (97.1 FM; MOUNTAIN TOP, PA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WQKX (94.1 FM; SUNBURY, PA; Owner: SUNBURY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRFY-FM (102.5 FM; READING, PA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPGM-FM (96.7 FM; DANVILLE, PA; Owner: MONTROSE BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WKRZ (98.5 FM; WILKES-BARRE, PA; Owner: ENTERCOM WILKES-BARRE SCRANTON, LLC)
- WEGH (107.3 FM; NORTHUMBERLAND, PA; Owner: SUNBURY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
TV broadcast stations around Pottsville:
- W24BL (Channel 24; POTTSVILLE, ETC., PA; Owner: NEXSTAR BROADCASTING OF NORTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA, L.L.C.)
- W61AG (Channel 61; POTTSVILLE, ETC., PA; Owner: NEW YORK TIMES MANAGEMENT SERVICES)
- W66AI (Channel 66; POTTSVILLE, ETC., PA; Owner: MISSION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WLYH-TV (Channel 15; LANCASTER, PA; Owner: TELEVISION STATION GROUP LICENSE SUBSIDIARY, LLC)
- WTVE (Channel 51; READING, PA; Owner: READING BROADCASTING, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.