Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 6,271. Estimated population in July 2005: 6,036 (-3.7% change)
Males: 2,804 (44.7%), Females: 3,467 (55.3%)
Median resident age: 40.7 years
Median household income: $26,250 (year 2000)
Median house value: $51,400 (year 2000)
Punxsutawney, PA residents, houses, and apartments details
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Punxsutawney:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.1%)
- Hispanic (0.7%)
- Two or more races (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (30.9%), Italian (14.8%), Irish (13.7%), English (6.9%), Dutch (5.6%), United States (5.5%).
New! Pennsylvania forum
Elevation: 1238 feet
Land area: 3.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Punxsutawney
- High school or higher: 80.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.5%
- Unemployed: 11.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Punxsutawney borough
- Never married: 28.9%
- Now married: 47.8%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 10.8%
- Divorced: 10.2%
0.4% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -545 (-8.0%).
a House in PA - Real Estate Agents Compete for your Business. Free - Easy />
Housing & Rentals - student housing Furnished Bedrooms Blairsville, PA />
PA Custom Homes - Us Build Your Dream Home. Design Coordinators Ready To Help! />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: PA Pittsburgh, (77.2 miles )
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: PA Philadelphia, (271.2 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: PA (4.4 miles Rossiter, Run, PA (6.9 miles Big PA (11.9 miles Reynoldsville, Worthville, PA (12.6 miles) , PA (12.9 miles Sykesville, Center, PA (13.2 miles Marion Campbell, PA (13.5 miles Glen PA (14.0 miles Troutville,
Latitude: 40.95 N, Longitude: 78.98 W
Area code: 814
Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (23.3%), Manufacturing (18.3%), Retail trade (13.2%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +1,165 (+18.6%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,208 (50.7%)
Crime in Punxsutawney (2003):
- 0 murders (0.0 per 100,000)
- 3 rapes (48.5 per 100,000)
- 1 robbery (16.2 per 100,000)
- 8 assaults (129.4 per 100,000)
- 12 burglaries (194.0 per 100,000)
- 106 thefts (1714.1 per 100,000)
- 8 auto thefts (129.4 per 100,000) crime index = 140.6 (higher means more crime, US average = 321.8)
Crime in Punxsutawney (2004):
- 0 murders (0.0 per 100,000)
- 3 rapes (48.6 per 100,000)
- 4 robberies (64.8 per 100,000)
- 18 assaults (291.7 per 100,000)
- 7 burglaries (113.5 per 100,000)
- 113 thefts (1831.4 per 100,000)
- 5 auto thefts (81.0 per 100,000) crime index = 181.9 (higher means more crime, US average = 315.1)
Average climate in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Punxsutawney-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Pennsylvania state average. It is 20% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/31/1985, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 26.5 miles away from the Punxsutawney city center caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 5/31/1985, a category 4 tornado 35.0 miles away from the city center killed 7 people and injured 30 people.
Hospital/medical center in Punxsutawney:
- PUNXSUTAWNEY AREA HOSPITAL (81 HILLCREST DRIVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Punxsutawney:
- BROOKVILLE HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; BROOKVILLE, PA)
- DUBOIS REGNL MED CNTR (about 21 miles; DUBOIS, PA)
- INDIANA HOSPITAL (about 26 miles; INDIANA, PA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Punxsutawney:
- DU BOIS-JEFFERSON COUNTY (about 17 miles; DU BOIS, PA; ID: DUJ)
- JOHN MURTHA JOHNSTOWN-CAMBRIA CO (about 46 miles; JOHNSTOWN, PA; ID: JST)
- ARNOLD PALMER REGIONAL (about 56 miles; LATROBE, PA; ID: LBE)
Other public-use airports nearest to Punxsutawney:
- PUNXSUTAWNEY MUNI (about 5 miles; PUNXSUTAWNEY, PA; ID: N35)
- INDIANA COUNTY/JIMMY STEWART FLD/ (about 25 miles; INDIANA, PA; ID: IDI)
- CLARION COUNTY (about 37 miles; CLARION, PA; ID: AXQ)
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Other Government Administration ||3 ||$9,024 ||$36,096 ||7 ||$875 |
|Streets and Highways ||4 ||$8,812 ||$26,436 ||0 ||$0 |
|Sewerage ||10 ||$27,281 ||$32,737 ||1 ||$691 |
|Police - Other ||4 ||$8,336 ||$25,008 ||11 ||$5,528 |
|Police Protection - Officers ||7 ||$30,000 ||$51,428 ||4 ||$2,582 |
|Financial Administration ||2 ||$3,441 ||$20,646 ||0 ||$0 |
|Totals for Government ||30 ||$86,893 ||$34,757 ||23 ||$9,675 |Colleges/Universities in Punxsutawney:
- PUNXY BEAUTY SCHOOL (Full-time enrollment: 15; Location: 222 FINDLEY ST; Private, for-profit)
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA-PUNXSUTAWNEY (Location: 1010 WINSLOW ST; Public; Website: www.iup.edu/punxsy/)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Punxsutawney:
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA-MAIN CAMPUS (about 24 miles; INDIANA, PA; Full-time enrollment: 12,307)
- CLARION UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 33 miles; CLARION, PA; FT enrollment: 5,690)
- UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH-JOHNSTOWN (about 46 miles; JOHNSTOWN, PA; FT enrollment: 2,851)
- PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY-PENN STATE ALTOONA (about 50 miles; ALTOONA, PA; FT enrollment: 3,516)
- WESTMORELAND COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 65 miles; YOUNGWOOD, PA; FT enrollment: 3,223)
- SLIPPERY ROCK UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 76 miles; SLIPPERY ROCK, PA; FT enrollment: 6,399)
- CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY (about 77 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; FT enrollment: 7,903)
Public high school in Punxsutawney:
- PUNXSUTAWNEY AREA HS (Students: 920; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Punxsutawney:
- PUNXSUTAWNEY AREA MS (Students: 736; Grades: 06 - 08)
- MARY A WILSON EL SCH (Students: 282; Grades: KG - 05)
- MAPLEVIEW EL SCH (Students: 238; Grades: KG - 05)
- BELL TWP EL SCH (Students: 142; Grades: KG - 05)
- WEST END EL SCH (Students: 121; Grades: KG - 05)
- JENKS HILL EL SCH (Students: 109; Grades: KG - 05)
- LONGVIEW EL SCH (Students: 108; Grades: KG - 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Punxsutawney:
- SS COSMAS - DAMIAN ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 215; Location: 615 CHESTNUT STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
- MOUNTAIN VIEW AMISH SCHOOL (Students: 28; Location: R D 3 BOX 357; Grades: 1 - 8)
- VALLEY VIEW SCHOOL (Students: 25; Location: R3 BOX 339 B; Grades: 1 - 8)
- PINE VALLEY SCHOOL (Students: 20; Location: BOX 329 RD 3; Grades: 1 - 8)
Library in Punxsutawney:
- PUNXSUTAWNEY MEMORIAL LIBRARY (Operating income: $237,848; Location: 301 EAST MAHONING ST; 34,591 books; 573 audio materials; 618 video materials; 91 serial subscriptions)
| || |
Cemetery: Calvary Cemetery (1).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Elk Run (A), Sawmill Run (B), Cold Spring Run (C).
Punxsutawney compared to Pennsylvania state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Punxsutawney:
- WECZ (1540 AM; daytime; 5 kW; PUNXSUTAWNEY, PA)
- WCED (1420 AM; 5 kW; DU BOIS, PA; Owner: VOX ALLEGANY, LLC)
- WCCS (1160 AM; 10 kW; HOMER CITY, PA; Owner: RENDA RADIO, INC.)
- KDKA (1020 AM; 50 kW; PITTSBURGH, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WLYE (850 AM; 10 kW; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF JOHNSTOWN, INC.)
- WAVL (910 AM; 5 kW; APOLLO, PA; Owner: EVANGEL HEIGHTS ASSEMBLY OF GOD)
- WVSC (990 AM; 10 kW; SOMERSET, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF JOHNSTOWN, INC.)
- WWVA (1170 AM; 53 kW; WHEELING, WV; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WWKB (1520 AM; 50 kW; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: ENTERCOM BUFFALO LICENSE, LLC)
- WCBM (680 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WCBM MARYLAND, INC.)
- WCPA (900 AM; 3 kW; CLEARFIELD, PA; Owner: CLEARFIELD BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WKHB (620 AM; 6 kW; IRWIN, PA; Owner: BROADCAST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WZSK (1040 AM; daytime; 10 kW; EVERETT, PA; Owner: NEW MILLENNIUM COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Punxsutawney:
- WPXZ-FM (104.1 FM; PUNXSUTAWNEY, PA; Owner: RENDA RADIO, INC.)
- WYTR (103.3 FM; BROOKVILLE, PA; Owner: RENDA RADIO, INC.)
- WMKX (105.5 FM; BROOKVILLE, PA; Owner: STRATTAN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WOWQ (102.1 FM; DU BOIS, PA; Owner: FIRST MEDIA RADIO, LLC)
- WOKW (102.9 FM; CURWENSVILLE, PA; Owner: RAYMARK BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WQYX (93.1 FM; CLEARFIELD, PA; Owner: CLEARFIELD BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WQEJ (89.7 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: WQED MULTIMEDIA)
- WDSN (106.5 FM; REYNOLDSVILLE, PA; Owner: PRIORITY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WPCL (97.3 FM; NORTHERN CAMBRIA, PA; Owner: HE'S ALIVE INCORPORATED)
- WFRJ (88.9 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- WKYE (95.5 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF JOHNSTOWN, INC.)
- WQKK (92.1 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: DAME BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WMAJ-FM (104.9 FM; HOLLIDAYSBURG, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF PA, LLC)
- WDBA (107.3 FM; DU BOIS, PA; Owner: DU BOIS AREA BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WPRR (100.1 FM; ALTOONA, PA; Owner: VITAL LICENSES, LLC)
- WFGY (98.1 FM; ALTOONA, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF PA, LLC)
- WBRX (94.3 FM; PATTON, PA; Owner: SHERLOCK BROADCASTING, INC)
- WJNG (100.5 FM; JOHNSONBURG, PA; Owner: STRATTAN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WHPA (93.5 FM; BARNESBORO, PA; Owner: VERNAL ENTERPRISES INC.)
- WQMU (92.5 FM; INDIANA, PA; Owner: RMS MEDIA MANAGEMENT, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Punxsutawney:
- WPSX-TV (Channel 3; CLEARFIELD, PA; Owner: THE PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WLLS-LP (Channel 49; INDIANA, PA; Owner: LARRY L. SCHRECONGOST)
- W45BT (Channel 45; BROOKVILLE, PA; Owner: CORNERSTONE TELEVISION, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.