Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 6,762. Estimated population in July 2005: 6,500 (-3.9% change)
Males: 3,051 (45.1%), Females: 3,711 (54.9%)
Median resident age: 40.2 years
Median household income: $29,050 (year 2000)
Median house value: $88,900 (year 2000)
Somerset, PA residents, houses, and apartments details
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Somerset:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.4%)
- Black (0.7%)
- Hispanic (0.5%)
- Two or more races (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (35.7%), Irish (8.3%), English (8.3%), Italian (7.5%), United States (6.9%), Polish (3.5%).
New! Pennsylvania forum
Elevation: 2190 feet
Land area: 2.7 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Somerset
- High school or higher: 82.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 20.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.6%
- Unemployed: 4.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Somerset borough
- Never married: 23.2%
- Now married: 52.2%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 12.9%
- Divorced: 9.5%
2.1% Foreign born (0.8% Europe, 0.6% Asia, 0.5% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +262 (+4.0%).
Home - Real Estate Listings Search. View Properties in Kentucky. />
Home - FSBO, Land, Property, Mls Find Homes For Sale (Official Site) />
Realty - and residential real estate in central Pennsylvania />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: PA Pittsburgh, (68.5 miles www.HouseValueQuotes.com )
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: PA Philadelphia, (270.5 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: PA (6.6 miles Friedens, PA (8.1 miles Rockwood, New Centerville, PA (8.8 miles) , PA (10.0 miles Garrett, PA (10.5 miles Berlin, PA (10.8 miles Jennerstown, PA (11.0 miles Stoystown, PA Boswell, (11.2 miles
Latitude: 40.01 N, Longitude: 79.08 W
Area code: 814
Somerset, Pennsylvania business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (20.8%), Manufacturing (15.0%), Retail trade (14.6%), Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (11.8%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +4,481 (+66.3%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,797 (60.0%)
Average climate in Somerset, Pennsylvania
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Somerset-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Pennsylvania state average. It is 31% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/2/1998, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 10.0 miles away from the Somerset city center injured 5 people and caused $6 million in damages.
On 5/31/1998, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 17.8 miles away from the city center killed one person and injured 15 people and caused $4 million in damages.
Hospital/medical center in Somerset:
- SOMERSET COMM HOSP (225 S CENTER AVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Somerset:
- MEYERSDALE COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; MYERSDALE, PA)
- CONEMAUGH VALLEY MEM HOSP (about 23 miles; JOHNSTOWN, PA)
- SELECT SPECIALTY HOSPITAL OF JOHNSTOWN (about 23 miles; JOHNSTOWN, PA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Somerset:
- JOHN MURTHA JOHNSTOWN-CAMBRIA CO (about 27 miles; JOHNSTOWN, PA; ID: JST)
- ARNOLD PALMER REGIONAL (about 29 miles; LATROBE, PA; ID: LBE)
- ALTOONA-BLAIR COUNTY (about 57 miles; ALTOONA, PA; ID: AOO)
Other public-use airports nearest to Somerset:
- SOMERSET COUNTY (about 6 miles; SOMERSET, PA; ID: 2G9)
- SEVEN SPRINGS (about 17 miles; SEVEN SPRINGS BOROUGH, PA; ID: 7SP)
- INDIAN LAKE (about 18 miles; CENTRAL CITY, PA; ID: 5G2)
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Sewerage ||4 ||$10,640 ||$31,920 ||0 ||$0 |
|Water Supply ||5 ||$12,781 ||$30,674 ||1 ||$100 |
|Other and Unallocable ||4 ||$10,629 ||$31,887 ||3 ||$2,256 |
|Financial Administration ||6 ||$13,297 ||$26,594 ||0 ||$0 |
|Other Government Administration ||3 ||$9,890 ||$39,560 ||0 ||$0 |
|Police Protection - Officers ||6 ||$22,605 ||$45,210 ||12 ||$17,701 |
|Police - Other ||1 ||$2,212 ||$26,544 ||1 ||$1,873 |
|Streets and Highways ||12 ||$30,330 ||$30,330 ||2 ||$4,481 |
|Totals for Government ||41 ||$112,385 ||$32,893 ||19 ||$26,411 |Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Somerset:
- UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH-JOHNSTOWN (about 25 miles; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,851)
- FROSTBURG STATE UNIVERSITY (about 27 miles; FROSTBURG, MD; FT enrollment: 4,672)
- WESTMORELAND COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 39 miles; YOUNGWOOD, PA; FT enrollment: 3,223)
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA-MAIN CAMPUS (about 44 miles; INDIANA, PA; FT enrollment: 12,307)
- CALIFORNIA UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 57 miles; CALIFORNIA, PA; FT enrollment: 5,183)
- PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY-PENN STATE ALTOONA (about 60 miles; ALTOONA, PA; FT enrollment: 3,516)
- WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY (about 66 miles; MORGANTOWN, WV; FT enrollment: 19,666)
Public high school in Somerset:
- SOMERSET AREA SHS (Students: 688; Grades: 10 - 12)
Private high school in Somerset:
- APOSTOLIC CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 41; Location: 141 FOWARD BOULEVARD; Grades: KG - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Somerset:
- SOMERSET AREA JHS (Students: 748; Grades: 07 - 09)
- EAGLE VIEW EL SCH (Students: 570; Grades: 04 - 06)
- MAPLE RIDGE EL SCH (Students: 501; Grades: KG - 03)
- SOMERSET COUNTY TECHNOLOGY CEN (Grades: 00 - 00)
Private primary/middle schools in Somerset:
- ST PETER ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 106; Location: R 433 W CHURCH ST; Grades: 1 - 6)
- SOMERSET CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 71; Location: 708 STOYSTOWN RD SITE 2; Grades: PK - 8)
Libraries in Somerset:
- SOMERSET COUNTY FED LIB SYSTEM (Operating income: $244,377; Location: 6022 GLADES PIKE; 100,800 books; 18 audio materials; 11 serial subscriptions)
- MARY S BIESECKER PUB LIBRARY (Operating income: $174,898; Location: 230 S ROSINA AVE; 30,923 books; 935 audio materials; 285 video materials; 96 serial subscriptions)
- SOMERSET COUNTY LIBRARY (Operating income: $168,540; Location: 6022 GLADES PIKE, SUITE 120; 95,753 books; 397 audio materials; 541 video materials; 260 serial subscriptions)
| || |
Notable locations in Somerset: Laurel Hill Village (A), Somerset Country Club (B).
Cemetery: Union Cemetery (1).
Somerset compared to Pennsylvania state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Somerset:
- WVSC (990 AM; 10 kW; SOMERSET, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF JOHNSTOWN, INC.)
- WYSN (1330 AM; 5 kW; SOMERSET, PA; Owner: DAME BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WLYE (850 AM; 10 kW; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF JOHNSTOWN, INC.)
- WFRB (560 AM; 5 kW; FROSTBURG, MD; Owner: WTBO-WKGO CORPORATION, L.L.C.)
- KDKA (1020 AM; 50 kW; PITTSBURGH, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCCS (1160 AM; 10 kW; HOMER CITY, PA; Owner: RENDA RADIO, INC.)
- WCBC (1270 AM; 5 kW; CUMBERLAND, MD; Owner: CUMBERLAND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WZSK (1040 AM; daytime; 10 kW; EVERETT, PA; Owner: NEW MILLENNIUM COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC.)
- WKHB (620 AM; 6 kW; IRWIN, PA; Owner: BROADCAST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WWVA (1170 AM; 53 kW; WHEELING, WV; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WCBM (680 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WCBM MARYLAND, INC.)
- WKCW (1420 AM; 50 kW; WARRENTON, VA; Owner: WAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WMET (1150 AM; 50 kW; GAITHERSBURG, MD; Owner: BELTWAY ACQUISITION CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Somerset:
- WUZY (97.7 FM; SOMERSET, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF JOHNSTOWN,INC.)
- WQZS (93.3 FM; MEYERSDALE, PA; Owner: ROGER WAHL)
- WQEJ (89.7 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: WQED MULTIMEDIA)
- WCCL (101.7 FM; CENTRAL CITY, PA; Owner: DAME BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WROG (102.9 FM; CUMBERLAND, MD; Owner: TSCHUDY RADIO, INC)
- WFRB-FM (105.3 FM; FROSTBURG, MD; Owner: WTBO-WKGO CORPORATION, L.L.C.)
- WFWM (91.9 FM; FROSTBURG, MD; Owner: FROSTBURG STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WKGO (106.1 FM; CUMBERLAND, MD; Owner: WTBO-WKGO CORPORATION, L.L.C.)
- WLIC (97.1 FM; FROSTBURG, MD; Owner: HE'S ALIVE, INC.)
- WFRJ (88.9 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- WKYE (95.5 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF JOHNSTOWN, INC.)
- WQKK (92.1 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: DAME BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WWPN (101.1 FM; WESTERNPORT, MD; Owner: ERNEST F. SANTMYIRE)
- WAIJ (90.3 FM; GRANTSVILLE, MD; Owner: HE'S ALIVE, INC.)
- WBVE (107.5 FM; BEDFORD, PA; Owner: CESSNA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WAYC (100.9 FM; BEDFORD, PA; Owner: CESSNA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WOGG (94.9 FM; OLIVER, PA; Owner: KEYMARKET LICENSES, LLC)
- WDZN (100.1 FM; ROMNEY, WV; Owner: CHARTER EQUITIES, INC.)
- WLSW (103.9 FM; SCOTTDALE, PA; Owner: L. STANLEY WALL)
- WVPM (90.9 FM; MORGANTOWN, WV; Owner: WEST VIRGINIA EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING AUTHORITY)
TV broadcast stations around Somerset:
- W57BM (Channel 57; SOMERSET, PA; Owner: PALM TELEVISION, L.P.)
- WNPA (Channel 19; JEANNETTE, PA; Owner: VIACOM STATIONS GROUP OF PITTSBURGH INC.)
- WWCP-TV (Channel 8; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: PEAK MEDIA OF PA LICENSEE LLC)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.