Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 16,819. Estimated population in July 2005: 16,757 (-0.4% change)
Males: 8,197 (48.7%), Females: 8,622 (51.3%)
Median resident age: 40.2 years
Median household income: $74,591 (year 2000)
Median house value: $198,500 (year 2000)
Barrington, RI residents, houses, and apartments details
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Barrington:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.7%)
- Hispanic (1.1%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
- Chinese (0.7%)
- Black (0.7%)
Ancestries: Irish (23.9%), English (21.3%), Italian (19.5%), German (10.0%), Portuguese (7.7%), French (7.0%).
New! Rhode Island forum
Elevation: 50 feet
Land area: 8.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Barrington
- High school or higher: 92.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 53.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 23.7%
- Unemployed: 4.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Barrington town
- Never married: 20.7%
- Now married: 66.2%
- Separated: 0.4%
- Widowed: 6.1%
- Divorced: 6.5%
5.6% Foreign born (2.9% Europe, 1.1% Asia, 0.8% Latin America, 0.6% North America).
Population change in the 1990s: +963 (+6.1%).
Il Real Estate - View Hundreds of IL Homes Search the Barrington IL mls />
Real Estate MLS Search - Selling Rhode Island real estate, we can help you find it! />
Delman Real Estate - properties in Barrington and all of RI. Purchase, sell or rent. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: RI (6.9 miles Warwick, pop. 85,808).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (42.9 miles www.ZipRealty.com )
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (192.6 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: RI (0.0 miles Barrington, RI (2.6 miles Warren, MA (4.6 miles Seekonk, Providence, RI (4.9 miles East RI (5.4 miles Bristol, RI (6.9 miles Warwick, Grove, MA (7.6 miles Ocean
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1998: 23 buildings, average cost: $132,900
Latitude: 41.75 N, Longitude: 71.32 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 401
Barrington, Rhode Island business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (31.0%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (12.4%).
Crime in Barrington by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||1 ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||5.9 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||0 ||6 ||0 ||4 ||7 ||1 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||35.7 ||0.0 ||23.8 ||41.6 ||5.9 |
|Robberies ||1 ||0 ||4 ||2 ||2 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||5.9 ||0.0 ||23.8 ||11.9 ||11.9 ||0.0 |
|Assaults ||6 ||5 ||3 ||5 ||6 ||6 |
| per 100,000 ||35.7 ||29.7 ||17.8 ||29.7 ||35.7 ||35.7 |
|Burglaries ||100 ||56 ||96 ||86 ||53 ||60 |
| per 100,000 ||594.6 ||333.0 ||570.8 ||511.3 ||315.1 ||356.7 |
|Thefts ||223 ||233 ||261 ||268 ||206 ||219 |
| per 100,000 ||1325.9 ||1385.3 ||1551.8 ||1593.4 ||1224.8 ||1302.1 |
|Auto thefts ||9 ||14 ||7 ||4 ||5 ||12 |
| per 100,000 ||53.5 ||83.2 ||41.6 ||23.8 ||29.7 ||71.3 |
| ||107.9 ||105.6 ||122.0 ||120.5 ||100.8 ||92.3 |
Average climate in Barrington, Rhode Island
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Barrington-area historical tornado activity is near Rhode Island state average. It is 53% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1953, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 40.8 miles away from the Barrington city center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 6/9/1953, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 22.6 miles away from the city center injured 17 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Demetris Nichols - College basketball player (Syracuse Orange), Mark McAndrew - College basketball player (Brown Bears).
Hospitals/medical centers near Barrington:
- EMMA PENDLETON BRADLEY HOSPITAL (about 4 miles; RIVERSIDE, RI)
- WOMEN AND INFANTS HOSPITAL OF RI (about 7 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI)
- BUTLER HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Barrington:
- THEODORE FRANCIS GREEN STATE (about 8 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; ID: PVD)
- GENERAL EDWARD LAWRENCE LOGAN INTL (about 48 miles; BOSTON, MA; ID: BOS)
- LAURENCE G HANSCOM FLD (about 50 miles; BEDFORD, MA; ID: BED)
Other public-use airports nearest to Barrington:
- DOWNTOWN PROVIDENCE HELISTOP (about 8 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; ID: RI9)
- QUONSET STATE (about 13 miles; NORTH KINGSTOWN, RI; ID: OQU)
- NEWPORT STATE (about 17 miles; NEWPORT, RI; ID: UUU)
Amtrak station near Barrington:
- 9 miles: PROVIDENCE (100 GASPEE ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
College/University in Barrington:
- ZION BIBLE INSTITUTE (Location: 27 MIDDLE HWY; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.zbi.edu)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Barrington:
- ROGER WILLIAMS UNIVERSITY (about 6 miles; BRISTOL, RI; Full-time enrollment: 3,007)
- BROWN UNIVERSITY (about 8 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; FT enrollment: 7,460)
- JOHNSON & WALES UNIVERSITY (about 9 miles; Providence, RI; FT enrollment: 8,218)
- RHODE ISLAND SCHOOL OF DESIGN (about 9 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; FT enrollment: 2,086)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF RHODE ISLAND (about 10 miles; WARWICK, RI; FT enrollment: 8,650)
- NEW ENGLAND INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 10 miles; WARWICK, RI; FT enrollment: 2,419)
- RHODE ISLAND COLLEGE (about 11 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; FT enrollment: 6,208)
Public high school in Barrington:
- BARRINGTON HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,086; Location: 220 LINCOLN AVENUE; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in Barrington:
- ST ANDREWS SCHOOL (Students: 158; Location: 63 FEDERAL RD; Grades: 6 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Barrington:
- BARRINGTON MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 806; Location: MIDDLE HIGHWAY; Grades: 06 - 08)
- HAMPDEN MEADOWS SCHOOL (Students: 594; Location: NEW MEADOW ROAD; Grades: 04 - 05)
- PRIMROSE HILL SCHOOL (Students: 351; Location: MIDDLE HIGHWAY; Grades: PK - 03)
- NAYATT SCHOOL (Students: 346; Location: 400 NAYATT ROAD; Grades: PK - 03)
- SOWAMS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 251; Location: 364 SOWAMS ROAD; Grades: KG - 03)
Private primary/middle schools in Barrington:
- ST LUKE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 293; Location: 10 WALDRON AVE; Grades: PK - 8)
- BARRINGTON CHRISTIAN ACAD (Students: 191; Location: 9 OLD COUNTY ROAD; Grades: KG - 8)
- RED BRICK NURSERY SCH INC(THE) (Students: 107; Location: 50 MIDDLE HIGHWAY; Grades: PK - KG)
Library in Barrington:
- BARRINGTON PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $1,366,782; Location: 281 COUNTY ROAD; 125,128 books; 2,252 audio materials; 3,275 video materials; 167 serial subscriptions)
| || |
Notable locations in Barrington: Rhode Island Country Club (A), Nayatt Landing (B), Kelleys Ferry (C), Walkers Farm (D), Barrington Yacht Club (E), Nyatt Hall (F), Barrington Community Center (G), Barrington Preservation Society Museum (H), Barrington Public Library (I), Barrington Town Hall (J), Belton Court (K), Zion Bible Institute Library (L).
Churches in Barrington include: Holy Angels Roman Catholic Church (A), Chapin Memorial Chapel (B), Barrington Baptist Church (C), Barrington Congregational Church (D), Barrington Presbyterian Church (E), Barrington United Methodist Church (F), Saint Mathews Episcopal Church (G), Saint Lukes Roman Catholic Church (H).
Cemeteries: Princes Hill Cemetery (1), Tyler Point Cemetery (2).
Lakes and reservoirs: Prince Pond (A), Volpes Pond (B), Echo Lake (C), Brickyard Pond (D).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Barrington River (A), Palmer River (B), Annawomscutt Brook (C), Mussachuck Creek (D).
Parks in Barrington include: Sowans Playground (1), Veterans Memorial Park (2), Barrington Civic Center Historic District (3), Osamequin Nature Trails and Bird Sanctuary (4), Haines Memorial State Park (5), Peck Center Playground (6).
Beach: Barrington Beach (A).
Post office: (A).
Barrington compared to Rhode Island state average:
- Median household income above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Barrington:
- WPRO (630 AM; 5 kW; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHJJ (920 AM; 5 kW; PROVIDENCE, RI)
- WSKO (790 AM; 5 kW; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WPMZ (1110 AM; daytime; 5 kW; EAST PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: VIDEO MUNDO B/CASTING CO., LLC)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WRNI (1290 AM; 10 kW; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: WRNI FOUNDATION)
- WDDZ (550 AM; 5 kW; PAWTUCKET, RI; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WSAR (1480 AM; 5 kW; FALL RIVER, MA; Owner: BRISTOL COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WARV (1590 AM; 5 kW; WARWICK, RI; Owner: BLOUNT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Barrington:
- WWBB (101.5 FM; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBRU (95.5 FM; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: BROWN BROADCASTING SERVICE, INC.)
- WHJY (94.1 FM; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WSNE-FM (93.3 FM; TAUNTON, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKKB (100.3 FM; MIDDLETOWN, RI; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WPRO-FM (92.3 FM; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WWLI (105.1 FM; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WWKX (106.3 FM; WOONSOCKET, RI; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING LLC)
- WBMX (98.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WBOS (92.9 FM; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WJMN (94.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCRB (102.5 FM; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: CHARLES RIVER BROADCASTING WCRB LICE)
- WTKK (96.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WROR-FM (105.7 FM; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WGBH (89.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WXKS-FM (107.9 FM; MEDFORD, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WBUR-FM (90.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF BOSTON UNIVERSITY)
- WSKO-FM (99.7 FM; WAKEFIELD-PEACEDALE, RI; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMJX (106.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WRIU (90.3 FM; KINGSTON, RI; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND)
TV broadcast stations around Barrington:
- WNAC-TV (Channel 64; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: WNAC, LLC)
- WJAR (Channel 10; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: OUTLET BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WPRI-TV (Channel 12; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: TVL BROADCASTING OF RHODE ISLAND, LLC)
- WLNE-TV (Channel 6; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: FREEDOM BROADCASTING OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND, INC.)
- WSBE-TV (Channel 36; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: RHODE ISLAND PUBLIC TELECOM. AUTHORITY)
- WPXQ (Channel 69; BLOCK ISLAND, RI; Owner: OCEAN STATE TELEVISION, L.L.C.)
- WWDP (Channel 46; NORWELL, MA; Owner: NORWELL TELEVISION, LLC)
- WCVB-TV (Channel 5; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WCVB HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC.)
- WGBH-TV (Channel 2; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WRIW-LP (Channel 50; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: ZGS PROVIDENCE, INC.)
- WHDH-TV (Channel 7; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WHDH-TV)
- WMFP (Channel 62; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: WSAH LICENSE, INC.)
- WSBK-TV (Channel 38; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WLVI-TV (Channel 56; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: WLVI, INC.)
- WBZ-TV (Channel 4; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WGBX-TV (Channel 44; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WLWC (Channel 28; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: C-28 FCC LICENSEE SUBSIDIARY, LLC)
- WFXT (Channel 25; BOSTON, MA; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS INC.)
- WUTF (Channel 66; MARLBOROUGH, MA; Owner: TELEFUTURA BOSTON LLC)
- WUNI (Channel 27; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- W40BO (Channel 40; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WBPX (Channel 68; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON BOSTON-68 LICENSE, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.