Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 43,224. Estimated population in July 2005: 44,328 (+2.6% change)
Males: 20,622 (47.7%), Females: 22,602 (52.3%)
Median resident age: 34.8 years
Median household income: $30,819 (year 2000)
Median house value: $112,800 (year 2000)
Woonsocket, RI residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Woonsocket:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (79.8%)
- Hispanic (9.3%)
- Other race (4.9%)
- Black (4.4%)
- Two or more races (3.1%)
- Other Asian (3.1%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
Ancestries: French Canadian (23.2%), French (22.9%), Irish (10.7%), Italian (9.5%), English (5.2%), Polish (4.1%).Rhode Island
Elevation: 162 feet
Land area: 7.7 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Woonsocket
- High school or higher: 64.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.1%
- Unemployed: 6.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Woonsocket city
- Never married: 30.5%
- Now married: 46.2%
- Separated: 2.9%
- Widowed: 8.8%
- Divorced: 11.5%
7.5% Foreign born (3.0% Asia, 1.5% Europe, 1.2% Latin America, 0.9% Africa, 0.8% North America).
Population change in the 1990s: -1,276 (-2.9%).
Island Nursing Jobs - diem up to $48/hr plus benefits flexible assignments, apply online />
Jobs in Woonsocket, RI - 80k+ tech jobs from top companies. New jobs posted daily. />
Providence Jobs - Local, Regional, National Talent - Meet Your Hiring Needs! />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: RI (12.6 miles Pawtucket, pop. 72,958).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (36.3 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (188.4 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: MA (2.6 miles Blackstone, Smithfield, RI North (3.8 miles Hill, RI (3.9 miles Cumberland MA (5.4 miles Millville, RI (5.6 miles Cumberland, RI (6.3 miles Smithfield, MA Bellingham, (7.0 miles .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 11 buildings, average cost: $60,900
- 1997: 15 buildings, average cost: $60,500
- 1998: 17 buildings, average cost: $54,600
- 1999: 20 buildings, average cost: $62,600
- 2000: 23 buildings, average cost: $58,700
- 2001: 12 buildings, average cost: $56,100
- 2002: 43 buildings, average cost: $60,100
- 2003: 36 buildings, average cost: $84,200
- 2004: 35 buildings, average cost: $104,900
- 2005: 48 buildings, average cost: $97,900
Latitude: 42.00 N, Longitude: 71.51 W
Area code: 401
Woonsocket, Rhode Island business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Manufacturing (23.9%), Educational,health and social services (17.8%), Retail trade (15.7%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -2,528 (-5.8%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 6,400 (34.2%)
Crime in Woonsocket by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||3 ||1 ||2 ||0 ||4 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||6.9 ||2.3 ||4.6 ||0.0 ||9.3 |
|Rapes ||16 ||33 ||60 ||51 ||48 ||34 |
| per 100,000 ||37.0 ||76.3 ||138.8 ||118.0 ||111.0 ||78.7 |
|Robberies ||19 ||23 ||46 ||48 ||29 ||25 |
| per 100,000 ||44.0 ||53.2 ||106.4 ||111.0 ||67.1 ||57.8 |
|Assaults ||87 ||95 ||130 ||106 ||106 ||113 |
| per 100,000 ||201.3 ||219.8 ||300.8 ||245.2 ||245.2 ||261.4 |
|Burglaries ||313 ||298 ||338 ||327 ||307 ||269 |
| per 100,000 ||724.1 ||689.4 ||782.0 ||756.5 ||710.3 ||622.3 |
|Thefts ||535 ||645 ||784 ||894 ||919 ||785 |
| per 100,000 ||1237.7 ||1492.2 ||1813.8 ||2068.3 ||2126.1 ||1816.1 |
|Auto thefts ||94 ||121 ||123 ||123 ||94 ||105 |
| per 100,000 ||217.5 ||279.9 ||284.6 ||284.6 ||217.5 ||242.9 |
| ||185.8 ||227.7 ||300.0 ||292.6 ||265.8 ||246.0 |
Average climate in Woonsocket, Rhode Island
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Woonsocket-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Rhode Island state average. It is 31% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1953, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 20.6 miles away from the Woonsocket city center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 6/9/1953, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 21.4 miles away from the city center injured 17 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Brian Boucher - NHL player (Phoenix Coyotes, born: Jan 2, 1977), Bryan Berard - NHL player (Columbus Blue Jackets, born: Mar 5, 1977), Rocco Baldelli - 2005 Major League Baseball player (Tampa Bay Devil Rays, born: Sep 25, 1981), Henry Olawoye - College basketball player (Delaware Fightin Blue Hens).
Main business address for: CVS CORP (RETAIL-DRUG STORES AND PROPRIETARY STORES).
Hospital/medical center in Woonsocket:
- LANDMARK MEDICAL CENTER INC (115 CASS AVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Woonsocket:
- REHAB HOSP OF R I (about 4 miles; NORTH SMITHFIELD, RI)
- MILFORD WHITINSVILLE REG HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; MILFORD, MA)
- ST JOSEPH HEALTH SERVICES OF RI (about 12 miles; NORTH PROVIDENCE, RI)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Woonsocket:
- THEODORE FRANCIS GREEN STATE (about 21 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; ID: PVD)
- WORCESTER REGIONAL (about 31 miles; WORCESTER, MA; ID: ORH)
- LAURENCE G HANSCOM FLD (about 36 miles; BEDFORD, MA; ID: BED)
Other public-use airports nearest to Woonsocket:
- NORTH CENTRAL STATE (about 7 miles; PAWTUCKET, RI; ID: SFZ)
- HOPEDALE INDUSTRIAL PARK (about 7 miles; HOPEDALE, MA; ID: 1B6)
- NORFOLK (about 13 miles; NORFOLK, MA; ID: 32M)
Amtrak stations near Woonsocket:
- 14 miles: PROVIDENCE (100 GASPEE ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 20 miles: FRAMINGHAM (443 WAVERLY ST.). Services: public payphones, snack bar, paid short-term parking, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction ||800 ||$3,071,985 ||$46,079 ||16 ||$46,839 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total ||260 ||$339,555 ||$15,671 ||98 ||$59,402 |Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Woonsocket:
- BRYANT COLLEGE (about 8 miles; SMITHFIELD, RI; Full-time enrollment: 2,926)
- PROVIDENCE COLLEGE (about 12 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; FT enrollment: 4,456)
- RHODE ISLAND COLLEGE (about 13 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; FT enrollment: 6,208)
- JOHNSON & WALES UNIVERSITY (about 15 miles; Providence, RI; FT enrollment: 8,218)
- RHODE ISLAND SCHOOL OF DESIGN (about 15 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; FT enrollment: 2,086)
- BROWN UNIVERSITY (about 15 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; FT enrollment: 7,460)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF RHODE ISLAND (about 21 miles; WARWICK, RI; FT enrollment: 8,650)
Public high schools in Woonsocket:
- WOONSOCKET HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,970; Location: 777 CASS AVENUE; Grades: 09 - 12)
- WOONSOCKET CAREER & TECH CTR. (Location: 400 AYLSWORTH AVENUE; Grades: 10 - 12)
Private high school in Woonsocket:
- MOUNT ST CHARLES ACADEMY (Students: 932; Location: 800 LOGEE STREET; Grades: 7 - 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Woonsocket:
- WOONSOCKET MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 1,613; Location: 357 PARK PLACE; Grades: 06 - 08)
- GLOBE PARK SCHOOL (Students: 456; Location: 192 AVENUE A; Grades: PK - 05)
- HARRIS SCHOOL (Students: 441; Location: 60 HIGH SCHOOL STREET; Grades: PK - 05)
- GOVERNOR ARAM J. POTHIER SCHOO (Students: 426; Location: 420 ROBINSON STREET; Grades: PK - 02)
- BERNON HEIGHTS SCHOOL (Students: 418; Location: 657 LOGEE STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
- LEO A. SAVOIE SCHOOL (Students: 409; Location: 980 MENDON ROAD; Grades: KG - 05)
- CITIZENS MEMORIAL SCHOOL (Students: 397; Location: 250 WINTHROP STREET; Grades: 02 - 05)
- KEVIN K. COLEMAN SCHOOL (Students: 265; Location: 96 SECOND AVENUE; Grades: 03 - 05)
- SOCIAL STREET SCHOOL (Students: 200; Location: 706 SOCIAL STREET; Grades: PK - 05)
- FIFTH AVENUE SCHOOL (Students: 192; Location: 65 FIFTH AVENUE; Grades: 01 - 02)
Private primary/middle schools in Woonsocket:
- GREATER WOONSOCKET CATHOLIC (Students: 923; Location: FEDERAL ST PO BOX 487; Grades: PK - 8)
- ST JOSEPH/GOOD SHEPHERD REGION (Students: 353; Location: 1210 MENDON ROAD; Grades: 4 - 8)
- OUR LADY OF VICTORIES REGL SCH (Students: 204; Location: 148 SPRING; Grades: KG - 3)
- MSGR GADOURY REC SCHOOL (Students: 159; Location: 1371 PARK AVENUE; Grades: PK - 3)
- THE ARC OF NORTHERN R I (Students: 12; Location: 80 FABIEN STREET; Grades: 2 - 2)
Library in Woonsocket:
- WOONSOCKET HARRIS PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $914,700; Location: 303 CLINTON STREET; 106,063 books; 1,028 audio materials; 1,730 video materials; 133 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Woonsocket: Hanora Mills (A), Museum of Work and Culture (B), Saint Francis Orphanage (C), Woonsocket City Hall (D), Woonsocket Harris Public Library (E).
Shopping Centers: Mill River Square Shopping Center (1), Walnut Hill Plaza Shopping Center (2), The Pavilion Shopping Center (3), Bibliotheque Mallet (4).
Churches in Woonsocket include: Saint James Episcopal Church (A), Holy Family Church (B), Apostolic Pentecostal Church (C), Saint Charles Borromeo Church Complex (D), Saint Stanislaus Parish Hall (E), First Universalist Church (F), Church of the Precious Blood (G), Berean Baptist Church (H).
Cemetery: Oak Hill Cemetery (1).
Lakes and reservoirs: Social Pond (A), Sylvestre Pond (B), Harris Pond (C), Darling Pond (D), Booth Pond (E).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Crookfall Brook (A), Cherry Brook (B), Mill River (C), Peters River (D).
Parks in Woonsocket include: North End Historic District (1), Market Square (2), Pulaski Square (3), Social Park (4), South Main Street Historic District (5), Veterans Memorial Park (6), Island Place Historic District (7), Court Square (8), Barry Field (9).
Beach: State Park Beach (A).
Post office: (A).
Woonsocket compared to Rhode Island state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Renting percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house below state average.
- House age significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Woonsocket:
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WNRI (1380 AM; 3 kW; WOONSOCKET, RI; Owner: ANASTOS MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WOON (1240 AM; 1 kW; WOONSOCKET, RI; Owner: O-N RADIO, INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WAMG (890 AM; 25 kW; DEDHAM, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF DEDHAM LICENSEE, LLC)
- WDDZ (550 AM; 5 kW; PAWTUCKET, RI; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WRNI (1290 AM; 10 kW; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: WRNI FOUNDATION)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WSKO (790 AM; 5 kW; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Woonsocket:
- WWKX (106.3 FM; WOONSOCKET, RI; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING LLC)
- WWBB (101.5 FM; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPRO-FM (92.3 FM; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WWLI (105.1 FM; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WBMX (98.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WSNE-FM (93.3 FM; TAUNTON, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WJMN (94.5 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCRB (102.5 FM; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: CHARLES RIVER BROADCASTING WCRB LICE)
- WTKK (96.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBOS (92.9 FM; BROOKLINE, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WROR-FM (105.7 FM; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: GREATER BOSTON RADIO, INC.)
- WBRU (95.5 FM; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: BROWN BROADCASTING SERVICE, INC.)
- WGBH (89.7 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WHJY (94.1 FM; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WJMF (88.7 FM; SMITHFIELD, RI; Owner: BRYANT COLLEGE OF BUSINESS ADMIN.)
- WBUR-FM (90.9 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF BOSTON UNIVERSITY)
- WODS (103.3 FM; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WAAF (107.3 FM; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WGAO (88.3 FM; FRANKLIN, MA; Owner: DEAN COLLEGE)
- WXKS-FM (107.9 FM; MEDFORD, MA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
TV broadcast stations around Woonsocket:
- WNAC-TV (Channel 64; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: WNAC, LLC)
- WPRI-TV (Channel 12; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: TVL BROADCASTING OF RHODE ISLAND, LLC)
- WCVB-TV (Channel 5; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WCVB HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC.)
- WGBH-TV (Channel 2; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WJAR (Channel 10; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: OUTLET BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WLNE-TV (Channel 6; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: FREEDOM BROADCASTING OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND, INC.)
- WSBE-TV (Channel 36; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: RHODE ISLAND PUBLIC TELECOM. AUTHORITY)
- WUNI (Channel 27; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WUTF (Channel 66; MARLBOROUGH, MA; Owner: TELEFUTURA BOSTON LLC)
- WPXQ (Channel 69; BLOCK ISLAND, RI; Owner: OCEAN STATE TELEVISION, L.L.C.)
- WMFP (Channel 62; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: WSAH LICENSE, INC.)
- WHDH-TV (Channel 7; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WHDH-TV)
- WBZ-TV (Channel 4; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WGBX-TV (Channel 44; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WSBK-TV (Channel 38; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WLVI-TV (Channel 56; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: WLVI, INC.)
- WFXT (Channel 25; BOSTON, MA; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS INC.)
- WRIW-LP (Channel 50; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: ZGS PROVIDENCE, INC.)
- WWDP (Channel 46; NORWELL, MA; Owner: NORWELL TELEVISION, LLC)
- W40BO (Channel 40; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LPTV, INC.)
- WBPX (Channel 68; BOSTON, MA; Owner: PAXSON BOSTON-68 LICENSE, INC.)
- WTMU-LP (Channel 32; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ZGS BOSTON, INC.)
- WCEA-LP (Channel 58; BOSTON, MA; Owner: CHANNEL 19 TV CORPORATION)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.