Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 7,180
Males: 3,557 (49.5%), Females: 3,623 (50.5%)
Median resident age: 28.6 years
Median household income: $39,753 (year 2000)
Median house value: $99,100 (year 2000)
Burton, SC residents, houses, and apartments details
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Burton:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (49.2%)
- Black (41.5%)
- Hispanic (6.0%)
- Other race (2.5%)
- Two or more races (2.5%)
- American Indian (1.1%)
- Filipino (0.5%)
Ancestries: Irish (9.4%), German (8.4%), United States (6.4%), Italian (5.4%), English (4.9%), Scotch-Irish (2.7%).
New! South Carolina forum
Elevation: 32 feet
Land area: 11.0 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Burton
- High school or higher: 79.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 15.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.2%
- Unemployed: 8.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Burton CDP
- Never married: 27.8%
- Now married: 51.1%
- Separated: 3.6%
- Widowed: 5.6%
- Divorced: 11.8%
4.2% Foreign born (2.5% Latin America, 0.7% Asia, 0.7% Europe).
Lake - New Lake Community! Minutes from Hilton Head Island, SC />
Head Homes on Sale - Homes for Sale in a South Carolina Coastal Community />
SC Homes - View Thousands of Homes. Search the Bluffton, SC area MLS. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: GA Savannah, (36.1 miles pop. 131,510).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: FL Jacksonville, (158.8 miles pop. 735,617).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: PA Philadelphia, (649.6 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Point, SC (2.9 miles Shell SC (3.4 miles Beaufort, Royal, SC (3.5 miles Port Bay, SC (4.2 miles Laurel Island, SC (7.3 miles Parris Head Island, SC Hilton (17.1 miles SC (17.2 miles Ridgeland, SC Bluffton, (18.3 miles
Latitude: 32.43 N, Longitude: 80.74 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 843
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (18.2%), Retail trade (13.6%), Construction (13.5%), Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (11.9%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -1,234 (-17.2%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 305 (9.0%)
Average climate in Burton, South Carolina
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Burton-area historical tornado activity is below South Carolina state average. It is 36% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/9/1998, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 40.9 miles away from the Burton city center killed 2 people and injured 17 people and caused $3 million in damages.
On 9/3/1998, a category 2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 20.9 miles away from the city center killed one person and injured 4 people and caused $360,000 in damages.
Hospitals/medical centers near Burton:
- BEAUFORT MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 5 miles; BEAUFORT, SC)
- HILTON HEAD HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC)
- COLLETON MEDICAL CENTER (about 33 miles; WALTERBORO, SC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Burton:
- BEAUFORT MCAS /MERRITT FIELD/ (about 4 miles; BEAUFORT, SC; ID: NBC)
- HILTON HEAD (about 15 miles; HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC; ID: HXD)
- SAVANNAH/HILTON HEAD INTERNATIONAL (about 39 miles; SAVANNAH, GA; ID: SAV)
Other public-use airports nearest to Burton:
- BEAUFORT COUNTY (about 8 miles; BEAUFORT, SC; ID: 73J)
- RIDGELAND (about 18 miles; RIDGELAND, SC; ID: 3J1)
- LOWCOUNTRY RGNL (about 35 miles; WALTERBORO, SC; ID: RBW)
Amtrak station near Burton:
- 20 miles: YEMASSEE (MAIN ST.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Burton:
- SAVANNAH COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN (about 39 miles; SAVANNAH, GA; Full-time enrollment: 4,565)
- ARMSTRONG ATLANTIC STATE UNIVERSITY (about 45 miles; SAVANNAH, GA; FT enrollment: 3,945)
- TRIDENT TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 60 miles; CHARLESTON, SC; FT enrollment: 5,925)
- CHARLESTON SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY (about 60 miles; CHARLESTON, SC; FT enrollment: 2,191)
- MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA (about 61 miles; CHARLESTON, SC; FT enrollment: 2,162)
- COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON (about 61 miles; CHARLESTON, SC; FT enrollment: 9,756)
- CITADEL MILITARY COLLEGE OF SOUTH CAROLINA (about 68 miles; CHARLESTON, SC; FT enrollment: 2,701)
Private high school in Burton:
- BEAUFORT CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 78; Location: PO BOX 4396; Grades: KG - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Burton:
- ROBERT SMALL TOWNS MIDDLE (Students: 731; Location: 43 W K ALSTON DRIVE; Grades: 06 - 08)
- JOSEPH J. SHANKLIN SR. ELEMENTARY (Students: 539; Location: 121 MORRALL DRIVE; Grades: PK - 05)
- WHALE BRANCH MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 448; Location: 43 W. K. ALSTON DRIVE; Grades: 06 - 08)
| || |
Notable locations in Burton: Retreat Plantation (A), Cherry Hill Plantation (B).
Churches in Burton include: Pine Grove Church (A), New Hope Church (B), Jericho Church (C), Jordan Church (D), Christ Our Lord Episcopal Church (E), Saint Johns Church (F), Victory Baptist Church (G), Macedonia Church (H).
Cemetery: Fripp Cemetery (1).
Burton compared to South Carolina state average:
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
- Population density below state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Burton:
- WVGB (1490 AM; 1 kW; BEAUFORT, SC; Owner: VIVIAN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WIQB (1050 AM; 25 kW; CONWAY, SC; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WBMQ (630 AM; 5 kW; SAVANNAH, GA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WJLG (900 AM; 4 kW; SAVANNAH, GA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WBAJ (890 AM; daytime; 50 kW; BLYTHEWOOD, SC; Owner: FAMILY FIRST)
- WCEO (840 AM; daytime; 50 kW; COLUMBIA, SC; Owner: EASTERN BROADCASTING GROUP, INC.)
- WNFO (1430 AM; daytime; 1 kW; RIDGELAND, SC)
- WFXH (1130 AM; 1 kW; HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WTKS (1290 AM; 5 kW; SAVANNAH, GA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WOKV (690 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, FL; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WALD (1080 AM; daytime; 3 kW; WALTERBORO, SC; Owner: JACQUELYN COLLIER PEMBROKE)
- WQIZ (810 AM; daytime; 5 kW; ST. GEORGE, SC; Owner: RADIO PROPERTIES, LLC)
- WSCC (730 AM; 5 kW; CHARLESTON, SC; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Burton:
- WAGP (88.7 FM; BEAUFORT, SC; Owner: COMMUNITY BROADCASTING CORP. OF BEAUFORT, INC)
- WJZX (99.7 FM; HOLLYWOOD, SC; Owner: APEX BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WFXH-FM (106.1 FM; HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WJWJ-FM (89.9 FM; BEAUFORT, SC; Owner: SOUTH CAROLINA EDUCATIONAL TV COMMISSION)
- WGZR (106.9 FM; BLUFFTON, SC; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WLOW (107.9 FM; PORT ROYAL, SC; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WYKZ (98.7 FM; BEAUFORT, SC; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WGZO (103.1 FM; PARRIS ISLAND, SC; Owner: ZIP COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WWVV (104.9 FM; RIDGELAND, SC; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WZAT (102.1 FM; SAVANNAH, GA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WAEV (97.3 FM; SAVANNAH, GA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WQBT (94.1 FM; SAVANNAH, GA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WLFS (91.9 FM; PORT WENTWORTH, GA; Owner: RADIO TRAINING NETWORK, INC)
TV broadcast stations around Burton:
- W19CH (Channel 19; BEAUFORT, SC; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- W32BJ (Channel 32; BEAUFORT, ETC., SC; Owner: SOUTHERN TV CORPORATION)
- WJWJ-TV (Channel 16; BEAUFORT, SC; Owner: SOUTH CAROLINA EDUCATIONAL TV COMMISSION)
- WGSA-CA (Channel 50; SAVANNAH, GA; Owner: SOUTHERN TV CORPORATION)
- WSAV-TV (Channel 3; SAVANNAH, GA; Owner: MEDIA GENERAL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WTOC-TV (Channel 11; SAVANNAH, GA; Owner: RAYCOM AMERICA, INC.)
- W53BX (Channel 53; HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC; Owner: WHHI-TV, INC.)
- WTGS (Channel 28; HARDEEVILLE, SC; Owner: BLUENOSE BROADCASTING OF SAVANNAH LLC)
- WJCL (Channel 22; SAVANNAH, GA; Owner: PIEDMONT TELEVISION OF SAVANNAH LICENSE LLC)
- W35AY (Channel 35; HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC; Owner: MYRON K. HINES)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.