Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 10,580. Estimated population in July 2005: 10,659 (+0.7% change)
Males: 4,902 (46.3%), Females: 5,678 (53.7%)
Median resident age: 33.8 years
Median household income: $27,064 (year 2000)
Median house value: $67,200 (year 2000)
Newberry, SC residents, houses, and apartments details
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Newberry:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (47.8%)
- Black (41.4%)
- Hispanic (9.5%)
- Other race (2.9%)
- Two or more races (1.7%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
Ancestries: United States (9.8%), German (9.2%), English (6.5%), Irish (4.1%), Scotch-Irish (1.5%), Italian (1.2%).
New! South Carolina forum
Elevation: 503 feet
Land area: 6.6 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Newberry
- High school or higher: 66.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 20.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.9%
- Unemployed: 15.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 20.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Newberry town
- Never married: 28.9%
- Now married: 47.1%
- Separated: 6.1%
- Widowed: 11.4%
- Divorced: 6.4%
7.0% Foreign born (6.7% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -307 (-2.8%).
Inlet New Homes - just listed homes, townhomes, condos and real estate for sale />
Homes for Sale - new homes, townhomes, condos and real estate listings for sale. />
Lake - New Lake Community! Minutes from Hilton Head Island, SC />
Real Estate Source - County SC & Charlotte NC Area Inquiries Answered w/in Minutes! />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: SC Columbia, (45.4 miles pop. 116,278).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NC Charlotte, (84.0 miles pop. 540,828).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: PA Philadelphia, (595.2 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: SC (7.3 miles Prosperity, SC (7.8 miles Silverstreet, Pomaria, SC (13.6 miles) , Mountain, SC (15.0 miles Little SC Whitmire, (15.5 miles SC Joanna, (16.6 miles SC (20.1 miles Chapin, Peak, SC (20.2 miles) .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 9 buildings, average cost: $61,600
- 1997: 10 buildings, average cost: $75,300
- 1998: 10 buildings, average cost: $75,300
- 1999: 11 buildings, average cost: $75,300
- 2000: 10 buildings, average cost: $75,300
- 2001: 10 buildings, average cost: $75,300
- 2002: 8 buildings, average cost: $107,100
- 2003: 8 buildings, average cost: $107,100
- 2004: 8 buildings, average cost: $107,100
- 2005: 9 buildings, average cost: $107,100
Latitude: 34.28 N, Longitude: 81.62 W
Area code: 803
Newberry, South Carolina business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Manufacturing (25.8%), Educational,health and social services (19.5%), Retail trade (11.1%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +2,240 (+21.2%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,890 (50.7%)
Crime in Newberry by Year
|Type ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||1 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||9.5 |
|Rapes ||3 ||4 ||6 |
| per 100,000 ||28.4 ||37.8 ||56.7 |
|Robberies ||11 ||9 ||9 |
| per 100,000 ||104.0 ||85.1 ||85.1 |
|Assaults ||86 ||63 ||66 |
| per 100,000 ||812.9 ||595.5 ||623.8 |
|Burglaries ||50 ||64 ||46 |
| per 100,000 ||472.6 ||604.9 ||434.8 |
|Thefts ||411 ||475 ||474 |
| per 100,000 ||3884.7 ||4489.6 ||4480.2 |
|Auto thefts ||14 ||5 ||9 |
| per 100,000 ||132.3 ||47.3 ||85.1 |
| ||404.2 ||385.4 ||398.9 |
Average climate in Newberry, South Carolina
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Newberry-area historical tornado activity is slightly above South Carolina state average. It is 47% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/28/1984, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 21.4 miles away from the Newberry city center killed 5 people and injured 49 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 12/13/1973, a category 4 tornado 28.5 miles away from the city center killed 2 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Reggie Taylor - 2005 Major League Baseball player (St. Louis Cardinals, born: Jan 12, 1977).
Hospital/medical center in Newberry:
- NEWBERRY COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (2669 KINARD ST PO BOX 497)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Newberry:
- LAURENS COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 22 miles; CLINTON, SC)
- WALLACE THOMSON HOSPITAL (about 30 miles; UNION, SC)
- FAIRFIELD MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 38 miles; WINNSBORO, SC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Newberry:
- COLUMBIA METROPOLITAN (about 42 miles; COLUMBIA, SC; ID: CAE)
- GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG INTL (about 59 miles; GREER, SC; ID: GSP)
- DONALDSON CENTER (about 62 miles; GREENVILLE, SC; ID: GYH)
Other public-use airports nearest to Newberry:
- NEWBERRY COUNTY (about 2 miles; NEWBERRY, SC; ID: 27J)
- LAURENS COUNTY (about 27 miles; LAURENS, SC; ID: 34A)
- SALUDA COUNTY (about 28 miles; SALUDA, SC; ID: 6J4)
Local government website:
Colleges/Universities in Newberry:
- NEWBERRY COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 677; Location: 2100 COLLEGE ST; Private, not-for-profit; Website: newberry.edu)
- TRANSPORT TRAINING INC (Location: 550 WILSON RD; Private, for-profit)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Newberry:
- LANDER UNIVERSITY (about 38 miles; Greenwood, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,429)
- PIEDMONT TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 38 miles; GREENWOOD, SC; FT enrollment: 2,406)
- MIDLANDS TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 45 miles; COLUMBIA, SC; FT enrollment: 5,958)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA AT COLUMBIA (about 46 miles; COLUMBIA, SC; FT enrollment: 19,682)
- BENEDICT COLLEGE (about 46 miles; COLUMBIA, SC; FT enrollment: 2,880)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA AT AIKEN (about 50 miles; AIKEN, SC; FT enrollment: 2,636)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA AT SPARTANBURG (about 54 miles; SPARTANBURG, SC; FT enrollment: 3,041)
Public high schools in Newberry:
- NEWBERRY HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 877; Location: 3113 MAIN STREET; Grades: 08 - 12)
- NEWBERRY VOC CENTER (Location: 3413 MAIN STREET; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in Newberry:
- NEWBERRY ACADEMY (Students: 310; Location: 2055 SMITH ROAD; Grades: KG - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Newberry:
- NEWBERRY MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 721; Location: 1829 NANCE ST; Grades: 06 - 08)
- BOUNDARY STREET ELEMENTARY (Students: 503; Location: 1406 BOUNDARY STREET; Grades: PK - 03)
- SPEERS STREET SCHOOL (Students: 449; Location: 1121 SPEERS STREET; Grades: PK - 03)
- GALLMAN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 390; Location: 540 BRANTLEY STREET; Grades: 04 - 05)
- REUBEN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 206; Location: 3605 SPEARMAN ROAD; Grades: PK - 05)
Library in Newberry:
- NEWBERRY COUNTY LIBRARY (Operating income: $321,600; Location: 1300 FRIEND STREET; 55,895 books; 1,470 audio materials; 678 video materials; 156 serial subscriptions)
| || |
Notable locations in Newberry: Oakland Mill (A), Newberry-Saluda Regional Library (B), Newberry County Courthouse (C), Newberry City Hall (D), Keller Memorial Library (E).
Shopping Center: By-Lo Shopping Center (1).
Churches in Newberry include: Lutheran Church of the Redeemer (A), Newberry Methodist Church (B), Newberry Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church (C), Central Methodist Church (D), Mount Olive Church (E), Miller Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church (F), Mayer Memorial Evangelical Lutheran Church (G), Lewis Memorial Church (H).
Cemeteries: Newberry Memorial Gardens (1), Aveleigh Cemetery (2), Rosemont Cemetery (3), West End Cemetery (4), Werts Cemetery (5), Old Newberry Village Cemetery (6).
Parks in Newberry include: Lynchs Woods Park (1), Willowbrook Park (2), Boundary Street-Newberry Cotton Mills Historic District (3), College Street Historic District (4), Main Street Historic District (5), Margaret Hunter Park (6), Marion Davis Park (7), Newberry College Historic District (8), West Boundary Street Historic District (9).
Post office: (A).
Newberry compared to South Carolina state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Newberry:
- WKDK (1240 AM; 1 kW; NEWBERRY, SC; Owner: NEWBERRY BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WKMG (1520 AM; daytime; 1 kW; NEWBERRY, SC; Owner: CORNELL BLAKELY)
- WBCU (1460 AM; 50 kW; UNION, SC)
- WBAJ (890 AM; daytime; 50 kW; BLYTHEWOOD, SC; Owner: FAMILY FIRST)
- WCEO (840 AM; daytime; 50 kW; COLUMBIA, SC; Owner: EASTERN BROADCASTING GROUP, INC.)
- WLFJ (660 AM; daytime; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, SC; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCSZ (1070 AM; 50 kW; SANS SOUCI, SC; Owner: WHYZ RADIO, L.P.)
- WLGO (1170 AM; daytime; 10 kW; LEXINGTON, SC; Owner: LEVAS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WAGL (1560 AM; daytime; 50 kW; LANCASTER, SC; Owner: PALMETTO BROADCASTING SYSTEM, INC.)
- WBT (1110 AM; 50 kW; CHARLOTTE, NC; Owner: JEFFERSON-PILOT COMMUNICATNS CO. OF NORTH CAROLINA)
- WVOC (560 AM; 5 kW; COLUMBIA, SC; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBLR (1430 AM; 5 kW; BATESBURG, SC; Owner: BARINOWSKI INVESTMENT COMPANY)
- WFGW (1010 AM; 50 kW; BLACK MOUNTAIN, NC; Owner: BLUE RIDGE BROADCASTING CORP.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Newberry:
- WGVC (106.3 FM; SIMPSONVILLE, SC; Owner: SIMPSONVILLE BROADCASTING LLC)
- WSSL-FM (100.5 FM; GRAY COURT, SC; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMHK (89.7 FM; COLUMBIA, SC; Owner: COLUMBIA BIBLE COLLEGE B/CING CO.)
- WROQ (101.1 FM; ANDERSON, SC; Owner: OBC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WHZQ (94.1 FM; CROSS HILL, SC; Owner: SOUTHEASTERN BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WCOS-FM (97.5 FM; COLUMBIA, SC; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WJES-FM (92.1 FM; SALUDA, SC; Owner: BRECKENRIDGE COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WZMJ (93.1 FM; BATESBURG, SC; Owner: URBAN RADIO OF SOUTH CAROLINA, LLC)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.