Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 23,923. Estimated population in July 2005: 27,743 (+16.0% change)
Males: 12,046 (50.4%), Females: 11,877 (49.6%)
Median resident age: 29.0 years
Median household income: $26,533 (year 2000)
Median house value: $102,600 (year 2000)
Cookeville, TN residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Cookeville:
- White Non-Hispanic (89.6%)
- Hispanic (4.2%)
- Black (2.9%)
- Other race (2.6%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
- Asian Indian (0.9%)
- American Indian (0.5%)
Ancestries: United States (22.1%), English (11.4%), Irish (9.3%), German (9.0%), Scotch-Irish (4.0%), Scottish (2.2%).Tennessee
Elevation: 1133 feet
Land area: 21.9 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Cookeville
- High school or higher: 74.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 28.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 12.1%
- Unemployed: 6.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Cookeville city
- Never married: 37.2%
- Now married: 43.3%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 6.7%
- Divorced: 11.1%
5.4% Foreign born (2.8% Latin America, 1.7% Asia, 0.6% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,796 (+8.1%).
House - House Info Start searching today. Learn more. />
retirement community - all East Tennessee lake & golf retirement communities here. />
Real Estate - All Clarksville, Tn Homes Using the Local MLS Database />
Homes Nashville - Plantation--a Lakeside golf community near Nashville, Nissan />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: TN Murfreesboro, (64.7 miles )
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: TN Nashville-Davidson, (86.4 miles pop. 545,524).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: IL Chicago, (420.1 miles pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: TN (4.5 miles Algood, TN (9.1 miles Baxter, TN (16.2 miles Sparta, TN Monterey, (16.4 miles TN Gainesboro, (17.0 miles TN (19.7 miles Livingston, TN Doyle, (21.5 miles Hill, TN (24.6 miles Pleasant
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 93 buildings, average cost: $104,700
- 1997: 82 buildings, average cost: $104,100
- 1998: 50 buildings, average cost: $110,700
- 1999: 66 buildings, average cost: $85,100
- 2000: 69 buildings, average cost: $112,700
- 2001: 69 buildings, average cost: $102,300
- 2002: 91 buildings, average cost: $103,900
- 2003: 126 buildings, average cost: $99,400
- 2004: 111 buildings, average cost: $123,800
- 2005: 139 buildings, average cost: $114,600
Latitude: 36.16 N, Longitude: 85.50 W
Area code: 931
Cookeville, Tennessee business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (24.3%), Manufacturing (18.9%), Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (12.4%), Retail trade (11.6%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +16,800 (+70.2%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 8,958 (79.0%)
Crime in Cookeville by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 |
|Murders ||1 ||0 ||2 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||4.2 ||0.0 ||8.4 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||8 ||11 ||6 ||8 |
| per 100,000 ||33.4 ||46.0 ||25.1 ||33.4 |
|Robberies ||17 ||26 ||23 ||22 |
| per 100,000 ||71.1 ||108.7 ||96.1 ||92.0 |
|Assaults ||89 ||107 ||51 ||37 |
| per 100,000 ||372.0 ||447.3 ||213.2 ||154.7 |
|Burglaries ||243 ||186 ||214 ||211 |
| per 100,000 ||1015.8 ||777.5 ||894.5 ||882.0 |
|Thefts ||992 ||1,089 ||1,059 ||893 |
| per 100,000 ||4146.6 ||4552.1 ||4426.7 ||3732.8 |
|Auto thefts ||99 ||77 ||82 ||92 |
| per 100,000 ||413.8 ||321.9 ||342.8 ||384.6 |
| ||383.4 ||402.7 ||357.0 ||313.7 |
Average climate in Cookeville, Tennessee
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Cookeville-area historical tornado activity is near Tennessee state average. It is 66% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/3/1974, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 10.3 miles away from the Cookeville city center killed 10 people and injured 51 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 4/3/1974, a category 4 tornado 29.8 miles away from the city center killed 7 people and injured 150 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Hospital/medical center in Cookeville:
- COOKVILLE REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (142 W 5TH ST)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Cookeville:
- WHITE COUNTY COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; SPARTA, TN)
- LIVINGSTON REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; LIVINGSTON, TN)
- CUMBERLAND RIVER HOSPITAL (about 27 miles; CELINA, TN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Cookeville:
- SMYRNA (about 71 miles; SMYRNA, TN; ID: MQY)
- NASHVILLE INTL (about 81 miles; NASHVILLE, TN; ID: BNA)
- LOVELL FIELD (about 81 miles; CHATTANOOGA, TN; ID: CHA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Cookeville:
- UPPER CUMBERLAND RGNL (about 8 miles; SPARTA, TN; ID: SRB)
- JACKSON COUNTY (about 18 miles; GAINESBORO, TN; ID: 1A7)
- LIVINGSTON MUNI (about 22 miles; LIVINGSTON, TN; ID: 8A3)
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Hospitals ||937 ||$2,846,110 ||$36,449 ||377 ||$1,145,125 |Colleges/Universities in Cookeville:
- TENNESSEE TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY (Full-time enrollment: 7,204; Location: 900 N DIXIE AVE; Public; Website: www.tntech.edu; Offers Doctor's degree)
- MEDVANCE INSTITUTE-COOKEVILLE (FT enrollment: 88; Location: 1065 E 10TH ST; Private, for-profit)
- MR WAYNES SCHOOL OF UNISEX HAIR DESIGN (FT enrollment: 47; Location: 170 S WILLOW AVE; Private, for-profit)
- MIDDLE TENNESSEE SCHOOL OF COSMETOLOGY (FT enrollment: 19; Location: 868A E TENTH ST; Private, for-profit)
- TENNESSEE BIBLE COLLEGE (Location: PO BOX 865; Private, not-for-profit; Offers Doctor's degree)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Cookeville:
- MIDDLE TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 67 miles; MURFREESBORO, TN; Full-time enrollment: 16,617)
- VOLUNTEER STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 68 miles; GALLATIN, TN; FT enrollment: 4,215)
- ROANE STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 70 miles; HARRIMAN, TN; FT enrollment: 3,490)
- MOTLOW STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 75 miles; Tullahoma, TN; FT enrollment: 2,256)
- CHATTANOOGA STATE TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 78 miles; CHATTANOOGA, TN; FT enrollment: 4,821)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE-CHATTANOOGA (about 79 miles; CHATTANOOGA, TN; FT enrollment: 6,914)
- LEE UNIVERSITY (about 82 miles; CLEVELAND, TN; FT enrollment: 3,171)
Public high schools in Cookeville:
- COOKEVILLE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,939; Location: 2335 N WASHINGTON; Grades: 09 - 12)
- PUTNAM COUNTY ADULT HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 13; Location: 1060 B E SPRING ST; Grades: 10 - 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Cookeville:
- ALGOOD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 963; Location: 540 DRY VALLEY RD; Grades: KG - 08)
- PRESCOTT CENTRAL MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 953; Location: 242 E 10TH ST; Grades: 05 - 06)
- AVERY TRACE MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 923; Location: 230 CAVALIER DR; Grades: 07 - 08)
- NORTHEAST ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 545; Location: 575 OLD KENTUCKY RD; Grades: KG - 04)
- CAPSHAW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 493; Location: 577 HUDGENS; Grades: KG - 04)
- PARK VIEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 446; Location: 545 SCOTT AV; Grades: KG - 04)
- SYCAMORE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 349; Location: 452 ELLIS AV; Grades: KG - 04)
- CANE CREEK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 343; Location: 1500 W JACKSON ST; Grades: PK - 04)
- JERE WHITSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 326; Location: 178E JERE WHITSON RD; Grades: KG - 04)
- DODSON BRANCH ELEMENTARY (Students: 181; Location: 16221 DODSON BRANCH HW; Grades: KG - 08)
Private primary/middle schools in Cookeville:
- HEAVENLY HOST LUTHERAN SCHOOL (Students: 199; Location: 777 WILLOW; Grades: PK - 5)
- CHILDGARDEN (Students: 31; Location: 818 EAST 10TH STREET; Grades: PK - KG)
- HELICON - PLATEAU MENTAL HEALT (Students: 12; Location: MAT WILSON ROAD; Grades: 1 - 9; Boys only)
- NOAH'S ARK (Students: 10; Location: 780 FAIRGROUND LANE; Grades: KG - KG)
Library in Cookeville:
- PUTNAM COUNTY LIBRARY (Operating income: $575,271; Location: 50 EAST BROAD STREET; 82,460 books; 3,132 audio materials; 4,344 video materials; 168 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Cookeville: Belle Acres Golf Club (A), Cookeville Golf and Country Club (B), Cookeville City Hall (C), Putnam County Library (D), Putnam County Courthouse (E).
Shopping Centers: Willow Tree Shopping Center (1), Cookeville Mall Shopping Center (2), Towne Plaza Shopping Center (3).
Churches in Cookeville include: Stevens Street Baptist Church (A), Central Emmanuel Baptist Church (B), Church of Christ (C), Cookeville Church of Christ (D), Cookeville First Baptist Church (E), Scott Avenue Baptist Church (F), Salem Church (G), Saint Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church (H).
Cemeteries: Buck Cemetery (1), Davis Cemetery (2).
Reservoir: Cane Creek Lake (A).
Creek: Short Creek (A).
Park in Cookeville: Cane Creek Park (1).
Post office: (A).
Cookeville compared to Tennessee state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Number of college students above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Cookeville:
- WHUB (1400 AM; 1 kW; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPTN (780 AM; daytime; 1 kW; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WATX (1590 AM; 2 kW; ALGOOD, TN; Owner: JWC BROADCASTING)
- WWAM (820 AM; daytime; 50 kW; JASPER, TN; Owner: SHELTON BROADCASTING SYSTEM)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WFLI (1070 AM; 50 kW; LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN, TN; Owner: WFLI, INC.)
- WAMB (1160 AM; 50 kW; DONELSON, TN; Owner: GREAT SOUTHERN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WKDA (1200 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: RADIO NASHVILLE, INC.)
- WLAC (1510 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WSMT (1050 AM; 1 kW; SPARTA, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WNQM (1300 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: WNQM. INC.)
- WTZX (860 AM; 1 kW; SPARTA, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Cookeville:
- W265BC (100.9 FM; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: JWC BROADCASTING)
- WGIC (98.5 FM; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHRS (91.7 FM; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: NASHVILLE PUBLIC RADIO)
- W206AJ (89.1 FM; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: WAY-FM MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WGSQ (94.7 FM; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTTU (88.5 FM; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: TENNESSEE TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY)
- WWOG (90.9 FM; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: SOMERSET EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING FOUNDATION)
- WBXE (93.7 FM; BAXTER, TN; Owner: JWC BROADCASTING)
- WLIV-FM (104.7 FM; MONTEREY, TN; Owner: WKXN INC)
- WKXD-FM (106.9 FM; MONTEREY, TN; Owner: JWC BROADCASTING)
- WLQK (95.9 FM; LIVINGSTON, TN; Owner: JWC BROADCASTING)
- WRKK-FM (105.5 FM; SPARTA, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMKW (89.3 FM; CROSSVILLE, TN; Owner: THE MOODY BIBLE INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO)
- WOWF (102.5 FM; CROSSVILLE, TN; Owner: PEG BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WZYZ (90.1 FM; SPENCER, TN; Owner: CHURCH FAITH TRINITY ASSEMBLIES)
- W211AS (90.1 FM; SPENCER, TN; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
TV broadcast stations around Cookeville:
- WCTE (Channel 22; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: UPPER CUMBERLAND BROADCAST COUNCIL)
- WFLI-TV (Channel 53; CLEVELAND, TN; Owner: CHATTANOOGA MEDIA HOLDINGS, L.L.C.)
- W57CZ (Channel 57; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WBXX-TV (Channel 20; CROSSVILLE, TN; Owner: ACME TV LICENSES OF TENNESSEE, LLC)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.