Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 7,664. Estimated population in July 2005: 7,823 (+2.1% change)
Males: 3,396 (44.3%), Females: 4,268 (55.7%)
Median resident age: 39.4 years
Median household income: $30,806 (year 2000)
Median house value: $67,700 (year 2000)
Milan, TN residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Milan:
- White Non-Hispanic (74.9%)
- Black (22.7%)
- Hispanic (1.5%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
- Other race (0.6%)
- American Indian (0.5%)
Ancestries: United States (20.7%), English (7.6%), Irish (7.3%), German (4.7%), Scotch-Irish (2.0%), Subsaharan African (1.9%).Tennessee
Elevation: 420 feet
Land area: 8.0 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Milan
- High school or higher: 70.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.3%
- Unemployed: 5.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Milan city
- Never married: 20.6%
- Now married: 51.7%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 12.3%
- Divorced: 12.9%
1.4% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +198 (+2.7%).
weather - Live Weather, future forecasts Weather always on your desktop />
and apartments - apartments, comfort intimacy down town Bucharest />
Tennessee Guide - for Motels, Real Estate, Maps Hotels, Restaurants, and more />
Temporary Housing - Free Local Calls, Laundry Low Rates in all Memphis locations. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: TN Jackson, (20.0 miles )
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: TN Memphis, (100.0 miles pop. 650,100).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: IL Chicago, (416.4 miles pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: TN (6.7 miles Gibson, TN (7.6 miles Atwood, TN (7.8 miles Medina, TN (11.4 miles Trezevant, Way, TN (11.6 miles Three TN (11.7 miles Bradford, TN (12.3 miles Humboldt, TN (13.2 miles Trenton,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 10 buildings, average cost: $128,200
- 1997: 11 buildings, average cost: $88,600
- 1998: 18 buildings, average cost: $65,800
- 1999: 40 buildings, average cost: $66,000
- 2000: 29 buildings, average cost: $86,700
- 2001: 17 buildings, average cost: $92,700
- 2002: 16 buildings, average cost: $77,000
- 2003: 4 buildings, average cost: $126,800
- 2004: 23 buildings, average cost: $108,400
- 2005: 52 buildings, average cost: $104,900
Latitude: 35.92 N, Longitude: 88.76 W
Area code: 731
Milan, Tennessee business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Manufacturing (38.3%), Educational,health and social services (18.1%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +2,758 (+36.0%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,498 (49.1%)
Crime in Milan by Year
|Type ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||1 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||13.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||3 ||4 ||3 ||4 |
| per 100,000 ||39.1 ||52.2 ||39.1 ||52.2 |
|Robberies ||5 ||3 ||4 ||3 |
| per 100,000 ||65.2 ||39.1 ||52.2 ||39.1 |
|Assaults ||45 ||40 ||42 ||41 |
| per 100,000 ||587.2 ||521.9 ||548.0 ||535.0 |
|Burglaries ||54 ||65 ||61 ||68 |
| per 100,000 ||704.6 ||848.1 ||795.9 ||887.3 |
|Thefts ||201 ||235 ||147 ||214 |
| per 100,000 ||2622.7 ||3066.3 ||1918.1 ||2792.3 |
|Auto thefts ||12 ||12 ||8 ||11 |
| per 100,000 ||156.6 ||156.6 ||104.4 ||143.5 |
| ||319.4 ||344.6 ||281.7 ||324.9 |
Average climate in Milan, Tennessee
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Milan-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Tennessee state average. It is 108% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/7/1971, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 10.8 miles away from the Milan city center killed 3 people and injured 137 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 3/1/1997, a category 4 tornado 19.8 miles away from the city center caused $100,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Justin Cagle - College basketball player (Tenn. Martin Skyhawks).
Hospital/medical center in Milan:
- MILAN GENERAL HOSPITAL (4039 SOUTH HIGHLAND)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Milan:
- HUMBOLDT GENERAL HOSPITAL INC (about 12 miles; HUMBOLDT, TN)
- GIBSON GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; TRENTON, TN)
- METHODIST LEBONHEUR HEALTHCARE-JACKSON (about 16 miles; JACKSON, TN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Milan:
- MC KELLAR-SIPES REGIONAL (about 25 miles; JACKSON, TN; ID: MKL)
- BARKLEY REGIONAL (about 78 miles; PADUCAH, KY; ID: PAH)
- MILLINGTON MUNI (about 86 miles; MILLINGTON, TN; ID: NQA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Milan:
- GIBSON COUNTY (about 6 miles; TRENTON, TN; ID: TGC)
- HUMBOLDT MUNI (about 11 miles; HUMBOLDT, TN; ID: M53)
- CARROLL COUNTY (about 25 miles; HUNTINGDON, TN; ID: HZD)
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Sewerage ||3 ||$9,540 ||$38,160 ||0 ||$0 |
|Water Supply ||8 ||$29,050 ||$43,575 ||0 ||$0 |
|Electric Power ||29 ||$106,644 ||$44,128 ||1 ||$1,260 |College/University in Milan:
- ARNOLDS BEAUTY SCHOOL (Full-time enrollment: 100; Location: 1179 S SECOND ST; Private, for-profit)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Milan:
- UNION UNIVERSITY (about 16 miles; JACKSON, TN; Full-time enrollment: 2,144)
- JACKSON STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 22 miles; JACKSON, TN; FT enrollment: 2,534)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE-MARTIN (about 26 miles; MARTIN, TN; FT enrollment: 5,131)
- MURRAY STATE UNIVERSITY (about 59 miles; MURRAY, KY; FT enrollment: 7,676)
- NORTHEAST MISSISSIPPI COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 89 miles; BOONEVILLE, MS; FT enrollment: 2,628)
- SOUTHWEST TENNESSEE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-MACON CAMPUS (about 92 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; FT enrollment: 6,979)
- UNIVERSITY OF MEMPHIS (about 98 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; FT enrollment: 15,831)
Public high school in Milan:
- MILAN HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 616; Location: 7060 VAN HOOK EAST ST; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in Milan:
- IMMANUEL CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 13; Location: HIGHWAY PO BOX 724; Grades: KG - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Milan:
- MILAN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 806; Location: 1100 MIDDLE RD; Grades: PK - 04)
- MILAN MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 600; Location: 2014 SMITH ST; Grades: 05 - 08)
Library in Milan:
- MILDRED G. FIELDS MEMORIAL LIBRARY (Operating income: $178,317; Location: 1075A E. VAN HOOK STREET; 40,901 books; 1,404 audio materials; 1,450 video materials; 93 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Milan: University of Tennessee Agricultural Experimental Farm (A), Milan Country Club (B), Gibson County Memorial Library (C), Milan City Hall (D).
Churches in Milan include: Salem Church (A), Saint Pauls Baptist Church (B), Phillips Chapel Church (C), First United Methodist Church (D), Northside Baptist Church (E), New Holy Temple Church of God in Christ (F), Milan First Presbyterian Church (G), Milan First Baptist Church (H).
Cemeteries: Cloverdale Cemetery (1), Milan Cemetery (2).
Parks in Milan include: Milan City Park (1), Rotary Field (2), Trostel Field (3), Johnnie Hall Stadium (4).
Post office: (A).
Milan compared to Tennessee state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
- Population density below state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Milan:
- WDXI (1310 AM; 5 kW; JACKSON, TN; Owner: LIBERTY RADIO II, INC.)
- WTJS (1390 AM; 5 kW; JACKSON, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- WGSF (1030 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WDIA (1070 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMQM (1600 AM; 50 kW; LAKELAND, TN; Owner: WMQM, INC.)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WHMT (1190 AM; daytime; 0 kW; HUMBOLDT, TN; Owner: BOYD ENTERPRISES, INC.)
- WCPC (940 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, MS; Owner: WCPC BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WMUF (1000 AM; daytime; 5 kW; PARIS, TN; Owner: BENTON-WEATHERFORD B/CTING OF TN,INC)
- WKDA (1200 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: RADIO NASHVILLE, INC.)
- WNQM (1300 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: WNQM. INC.)
- WAMB (1160 AM; 50 kW; DONELSON, TN; Owner: GREAT SOUTHERN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Milan:
- WYNU (92.3 FM; MILAN, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WWYN (106.9 FM; MCKENZIE, TN; Owner: RAINBOW MEDIA, INC.)
- W256AD (99.1 FM; MILAN, TN; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WLSZ (105.3 FM; HUMBOLDT, TN; Owner: BOYD ENTERPRISES, INC.)
- WTKB-FM (93.7 FM; ATWOOD, TN; Owner: GIBSON COUNTY BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WTNV (104.1 FM; JACKSON, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WIGH (88.7 FM; LEXINGTON, TN; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WKNP (90.1 FM; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MID-SOUTH PUBLIC COMMUNICTNS FOUNDTN)
- WZDQ (102.3 FM; HUMBOLDT, TN; Owner: THOMAS RADIO, LLC)
- WTNE-FM (97.7 FM; TRENTON, TN; Owner: GIBSON COUNTY BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WNWS-FM (101.5 FM; JACKSON, TN; Owner: RADIOCORP OF JACKSON, INC.)
- WMXX-FM (103.1 FM; JACKSON, TN; Owner: GERALD W. HUNT)
- WWGM (93.1 FM; ALAMO, TN; Owner: GRACE BROADCASTING SERVICES, INC.)
- WAJJ (89.3 FM; MCKENZIE, TN; Owner: HEARTLAND MINSTRIES, INC.)
- WVHR (100.9 FM; HUNTINGDON, TN; Owner: MILAN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WCDZ (95.1 FM; DRESDEN, TN; Owner: THUNDERBOLT BROADCASTING COMPANY)
TV broadcast stations around Milan:
- WBBJ-TV (Channel 7; JACKSON, TN; Owner: TENNESSEE BROADCASTING PARTNERS)
- W26CJ (Channel 26; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WJTE-LP (Channel 19; JACKSON, TN; Owner: TIGER EYE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- W22BR (Channel 22; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W52CZ (Channel 52; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W64BZ (Channel 64; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WJKT (Channel 16; JACKSON, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WLJT (Channel 11; LEXINGTON, TN; Owner: WEST TENNESSEE PUBLIC TV COUNCIL, INC)
- W35AH (Channel 35; JACKSON, TN; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- W25BY (Channel 25; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W38BY (Channel 38; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W54BU (Channel 54; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.