Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 7,242. Estimated population in July 2005: 7,299 (+0.8% change)
Males: 3,324 (45.9%), Females: 3,918 (54.1%)
Median resident age: 38.3 years
Median household income: $20,539 (year 2000)
Median house value: $71,400 (year 2000)
Newport, TN residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Newport:
- White Non-Hispanic (91.2%)
- Black (5.4%)
- Two or more races (1.3%)
- Hispanic (1.3%)
- American Indian (1.1%)
Ancestries: United States (24.8%), English (10.4%), Irish (8.5%), German (7.2%), Scotch-Irish (2.2%), Dutch (1.9%).Tennessee
Elevation: 1055 feet
Land area: 5.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Newport
- High school or higher: 60.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 6.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.2%
- Unemployed: 14.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Newport city
- Never married: 17.1%
- Now married: 49.4%
- Separated: 3.3%
- Widowed: 11.3%
- Divorced: 19.0%
1.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -149 (-2.0%).
Bay Tennessee - on Rarity Bay - A Lake and Golf Community />
Real Estate - All Clarksville, Tn Homes Using the Local MLS Database />
retirement community - all East Tennessee lake & golf retirement communities here. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: TN Knoxville, (51.2 miles )
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: KY Lexington-Fayette, (168.5 miles pop. 260,512).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: IL Chicago, (510.0 miles pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: TN (7.9 miles Baneberry, TN (7.9 miles Parrottsville, Pine, TN White (12.0 miles TN Dandridge, (16.3 miles TN Morristown, (18.4 miles Center, TN (19.2 miles Pittman Gap, TN Bulls (22.0 miles TN (22.5 miles Mosheim,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 14 buildings, average cost: $33,800
- 1997: 14 buildings, average cost: $33,800
- 1998: 14 buildings, average cost: $33,800
- 1999: 15 buildings, average cost: $33,800
- 2000: 6 buildings, average cost: $64,200
- 2001: 0 buildings
- 2002: 0 buildings
- 2003: 4 buildings, average cost: $67,500
- 2004: 4 buildings, average cost: $67,500
- 2005: 4 buildings, average cost: $67,500
Latitude: 35.96 N, Longitude: 83.20 W
Area code: 423
Newport, Tennessee business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Manufacturing (28.4%), Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (17.9%), Retail trade (14.0%), Educational,health and social services (12.3%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +2,917 (+40.3%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,163 (47.7%)
Crime in Newport by Year
|Type ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||0 ||0 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 |
|Rapes ||0 ||5 ||2 ||2 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||69.0 ||27.6 ||27.6 |
|Robberies ||6 ||7 ||4 ||4 |
| per 100,000 ||82.9 ||96.7 ||55.2 ||55.2 |
|Assaults ||69 ||39 ||26 ||40 |
| per 100,000 ||952.8 ||538.5 ||359.0 ||552.3 |
|Burglaries ||69 ||94 ||163 ||137 |
| per 100,000 ||952.8 ||1298.0 ||2250.8 ||1891.7 |
|Thefts ||413 ||393 ||399 ||384 |
| per 100,000 ||5702.8 ||5426.7 ||5509.5 ||5302.4 |
|Auto thefts ||82 ||83 ||61 ||59 |
| per 100,000 ||1132.3 ||1146.1 ||842.3 ||814.7 |
| ||600.8 ||563.9 ||544.7 ||547.8 |
Average climate in Newport, Tennessee
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Newport-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Tennessee state average. It is 56% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 2/18/1976, a category 2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 1.9 miles away from the Newport city center injured 10 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 3/11/1963, a category 2 tornado 5.8 miles away from the city center killed one person and injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Hospital/medical center in Newport:
- BAPTIST HOSPITAL OF COCKE COUNTY (435 SECOND STREET)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Newport:
- LAKEWAY REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; MORRISTOWN, TN)
- MORRISTOWN HAMBLEN HOSPITAL ASSOC (about 20 miles; MORRISTOWN, TN)
- JEFFERSON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; JEFFERSON CITY, TN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Newport:
- MC GHEE TYSON (about 56 miles; KNOXVILLE, TN; ID: TYS)
- ASHEVILLE REGIONAL (about 59 miles; ASHEVILLE, NC; ID: AVL)
- TRI-CITIES RGNL TN/VA (about 66 miles; BRISTOL/JOHNSON/KINGSPORT, TN; ID: TRI)
Other public-use airports nearest to Newport:
- MOORE-MURRELL (about 19 miles; MORRISTOWN, TN; ID: MOR)
- GATLINBURG-PIGEON FORGE (about 24 miles; SEVIERVILLE, TN; ID: GKT)
- GREENEVILLE-GREENE COUNTY MUNI (about 32 miles; GREENEVILLE, TN; ID: GCY)
Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total ||24 ||$24,927 ||$12,463 ||5 ||$1,795 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction ||78 ||$192,335 ||$29,590 ||14 ||$2,109 |Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Newport:
- WALTERS STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 17 miles; MORRISTOWN, TN; Full-time enrollment: 3,893)
- CARSON-NEWMAN COLLEGE (about 23 miles; JEFFERSON CITY, TN; FT enrollment: 2,073)
- WESTERN CAROLINA UNIVERSITY (about 49 miles; CULLOWHEE, NC; FT enrollment: 5,843)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT ASHEVILLE (about 50 miles; ASHEVILLE, NC; FT enrollment: 2,759)
- ASHEVILLE BUNCOMBE TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 51 miles; ASHEVILLE, NC; FT enrollment: 2,728)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE (about 53 miles; KNOXVILLE, TN; FT enrollment: 23,333)
- PELLISSIPPI STATE TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 53 miles; KNOXVILLE, TN; FT enrollment: 5,196)
Public high schools in Newport:
- COCKE COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,166; Location: 216 HEDRICK DR; Grades: 09 - 12)
- COCKE COUNTY ADULT HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 4; Location: 241 HEDRICK DR; Grades: 11 - 12)
Private high schools in Newport:
- GRACE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 63; Location: 526 HIGHWAY 73; Grades: KG - 12)
- CALVARY BAPTIST TABERNACLE SCH (Students: 18; Location: 445 BEECH STREET; Grades: 1 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Newport:
- NEWPORT GRAMMAR (Students: 703; Location: 301 COLLEGE ST; Grades: KG - 08)
- EDGEMONT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 659; Location: 375 CARSON SPRINGS RD; Grades: KG - 08)
- NORTHWEST ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 331; Location: 344 WOODSON RD; Grades: KG - 08)
- CENTERVIEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 288; Location: 2400 HWY 160; Grades: KG - 08)
- BRIDGEPORT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 283; Location: 1935 EDWINA BRIDGEPORT R; Grades: KG - 08)
Library in Newport:
- STOKELY MEMORIAL LIBRARY (Operating income: $82,125; Location: 383 EAST BROADWAY; 28,340 books; 866 audio materials; 554 video materials; 46 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Newport: Newport Junction (A), Cocke County Courthouse (B).
Churches in Newport include: Center View Church (A), Lincoln Avenue Baptist Church (B), Rice Church (C), Northport Baptist Church (D), Newport First Baptist Church (E), Gregg Chapel (F), West End Church (G), West End Baptist Church (H).
Cemeteries: Union Cemetery (1), Hearst Cemetery (2), Morris Cemetery (3).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Morell Springs Branch (A).
Post office: (A).
Newport compared to Tennessee state average:
- Median household income significantly below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Newport:
- WLIK (1270 AM; 5 kW; NEWPORT, TN; Owner: WLIK, INC)
- WNPC (1060 AM; daytime; 1 kW; NEWPORT, TN; Owner: HARRIS BROADCASTING INCORPORATED)
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WFGW (1010 AM; 50 kW; BLACK MOUNTAIN, NC; Owner: BLUE RIDGE BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WMTN (1300 AM; 5 kW; MORRISTOWN, TN)
- WCRK (1150 AM; 5 kW; MORRISTOWN, TN; Owner: RADIO ACQUISITION CORP.)
- WLFJ (660 AM; daytime; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, SC; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSEV (930 AM; 5 kW; SEVIERVILLE, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE RADIO GROUP, L.P.)
- WKJV (1380 AM; 25 kW; ASHEVILLE, NC; Owner: INTERNATIONAL BAPTIST OUTREACH MISSIONS)
- WCSZ (1070 AM; 50 kW; SANS SOUCI, SC; Owner: WHYZ RADIO, L.P.)
- WVLZ (1180 AM; daytime; 10 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: KIRKLAND WIRELESS BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WNOX (990 AM; 10 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN)
- WRJZ (620 AM; 5 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: TENNESSEE MEDIA ASSOCIATES, INC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Newport:
- WNPC-FM (92.9 FM; NEWPORT, TN; Owner: HARRIS BROADCASTING INC DBA WNPC INC)
- W237AR (95.3 FM; HAZELWOOD, ETC., NC; Owner: WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA PUBLIC RADIO)
- WIVK-FM (107.7 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WWST (102.1 FM; SEVIERVILLE, TN; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WKSF (99.9 FM; ASHEVILLE, NC; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMXK (94.1 FM; MORRISTOWN, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WQNS (104.9 FM; WAYNESVILLE, NC; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBGQ (100.7 FM; BULLS GAP, TN; Owner: CHEROKEE BROADCASTING)
- WJDT (106.5 FM; ROGERSVILLE, TN; Owner: C & S BROADCASTING)
- WIMZ-FM (103.5 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMM., CORP.)
- WMIT (106.9 FM; BLACK MOUNTAIN, NC; Owner: BLUE RIDGE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNCW (88.7 FM; SPINDALE, NC; Owner: ISOTHERMAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
- W220CD (91.9 FM; ENKA, NC; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- WSEV-FM (105.5 FM; GATLINBURG, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE RADIO GROUP, L.P.)
- WTFM (98.5 FM; KINGSPORT, TN; Owner: HOLSTON VALLEY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WOKI-FM (100.3 FM; OAK RIDGE, TN; Owner: OAK RIDGE FM, INC.)
- WFQS (91.3 FM; FRANKLIN, NC; Owner: WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA PUBLIC RADIO)
- WAEZ (94.9 FM; GREENEVILLE, TN; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WUOT (91.9 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE)
- WWCU (90.5 FM; CULLOWHEE, NC; Owner: WESTERN CAROLINA UNIVERSITY)
TV broadcast stations around Newport:
- W50AB (Channel 50; HIAWASSEE, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- WASV-TV (Channel 62; ASHEVILLE, NC; Owner: MEDIA GENERAL BROADCASTING OF SOUTH CAROLINA HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WKOP-TV (Channel 15; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE PUBLIC COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WVLT-TV (Channel 8; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: WVLT LICENSEE CORP.)
- WBIR-TV (Channel 10; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: GANNETT PACIFIC CORPORATION)
- WATE-TV (Channel 6; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: WATE, G.P.)
- WTNZ (Channel 43; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: RAYCOM AMERICA, INC.)
- WJZC-LP (Channel 22; SEVIERVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.