Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 27,387. Estimated population in July 2005: 27,297 (-0.3% change)
Males: 12,826 (46.8%), Females: 14,561 (53.2%)
Median resident age: 43.4 years
Median household income: $41,950 (year 2000)
Median house value: $98,200 (year 2000)
Oak Ridge, TN residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Oak Ridge:
- White Non-Hispanic (85.9%)
- Black (8.2%)
- Hispanic (1.9%)
- Two or more races (1.7%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
- Other race (0.8%)
- Chinese (0.7%)
- Asian Indian (0.5%)
Ancestries: English (16.0%), United States (12.5%), German (11.9%), Irish (11.1%), Scotch-Irish (4.7%), Scottish (3.6%).Ridge, Tennessee
Elevation: 875 feet
Land area: 85.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Oak Ridge
- High school or higher: 89.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 37.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 17.9%
- Unemployed: 5.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Oak Ridge city
- Never married: 19.5%
- Now married: 57.5%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 9.0%
- Divorced: 12.5%
4.5% Foreign born (1.7% Europe, 1.5% Asia, 0.9% Latin America, 0.5% North America).
Population change in the 1990s: +8 (+0.0%).
retirement community - all East Tennessee lake & golf retirement communities here. />
Accom, Tennessee - in Tennessee with Home Xchange Vacation. />
Public Record Search - Record Center Free Online Public Record Access />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: TN Knoxville, (23.7 miles www.homexchangevacation.com )
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: KY Lexington-Fayette, (141.9 miles pop. 260,512).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: IL Chicago, (467.1 miles pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Springs, TN (4.9 miles Oliver TN (10.9 miles Farragut, City, TN Lenoir (13.2 miles TN Clinton, (13.5 miles TN Kingston, (16.9 miles TN (18.1 miles Loudon, TN (18.6 miles Oakdale, City, TN Lake (18.6 miles
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 37 buildings, average cost: $121,300
- 1997: 46 buildings, average cost: $133,300
- 1998: 25 buildings, average cost: $142,000
- 1999: 35 buildings, average cost: $166,200
- 2000: 56 buildings, average cost: $146,700
- 2001: 57 buildings, average cost: $146,800
- 2002: 46 buildings, average cost: $156,500
- 2003: 47 buildings, average cost: $181,100
- 2004: 55 buildings, average cost: $156,600
- 2005: 62 buildings, average cost: $156,600
Latitude: 35.99 N, Longitude: 84.29 W
Area code: 865
Oak Ridge, Tennessee business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (26.7%), Educational,health and social services (22.5%), Retail trade (10.5%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +18,936 (+69.1%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 8,035 (67.6%)
Crime in Oak Ridge by Year
|Type ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||1 ||3 ||0 ||1 ||1 |
| per 100,000 ||3.7 ||11.0 ||0.0 ||3.7 ||3.7 |
|Rapes ||8 ||7 ||17 ||18 ||12 |
| per 100,000 ||29.2 ||25.6 ||62.1 ||65.7 ||43.8 |
|Robberies ||31 ||29 ||48 ||41 ||49 |
| per 100,000 ||113.2 ||105.9 ||175.3 ||149.7 ||178.9 |
|Assaults ||76 ||70 ||100 ||103 ||109 |
| per 100,000 ||277.5 ||255.6 ||365.1 ||376.1 ||398.0 |
|Burglaries ||205 ||241 ||326 ||337 ||385 |
| per 100,000 ||748.5 ||880.0 ||1190.3 ||1230.5 ||1405.8 |
|Thefts ||1,200 ||1,138 ||1,298 ||1,211 ||1,358 |
| per 100,000 ||4381.6 ||4155.3 ||4739.5 ||4421.8 ||4958.6 |
|Auto thefts ||64 ||65 ||79 ||124 ||132 |
| per 100,000 ||233.7 ||237.3 ||288.5 ||452.8 ||482.0 |
| ||351.2 ||350.9 ||446.4 ||449.3 ||489.8 |
Average climate in Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Oak Ridge-area historical tornado activity is below Tennessee state average. It is 6% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 2/21/1993, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 3.3 miles away from the Oak Ridge city center injured 3 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 11/10/2002, a category 3 tornado 12.0 miles away from the city center killed 7 people and injured 28 people and caused $970,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: William Shepherd - astronaut, Halston Lane - College basketball player (NC Wilmington Seahawks), Jake McCartney - College basketball player (Towson Tigers).
Main business address for: IPIX CORP (SERVICES-BUSINESS SERVICES, NEC).
Hospitals/medical centers in Oak Ridge:
- METHODIST MED CENTER OF OAK RIDGE (990 OAK RIDGE TURNPIKE BOX 529)
- RIDGEVIEW PSYCHIATRIC HOSP AND CENTER (240 W TYRONE RD)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Oak Ridge:
- FORT SANDERS PARK WEST MED CTR (about 16 miles; KNOXVILLE, TN)
- ROANE MEDICAL CENTER (about 18 miles; HARRIMAN, TN)
- FORT SANDERS LOUDON MEDICAL CENTER (about 19 miles; LOUDON, TN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Oak Ridge:
- MC GHEE TYSON (about 25 miles; KNOXVILLE, TN; ID: TYS)
- LOVELL FIELD (about 92 miles; CHATTANOOGA, TN; ID: CHA)
- ASHEVILLE REGIONAL (about 128 miles; ASHEVILLE, NC; ID: AVL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Oak Ridge:
- POWELL (about 21 miles; KNOXVILLE, TN; ID: 9A2)
- CAMPBELL COUNTY (about 26 miles; JACKSBORO, TN; ID: JAU)
- ROCKWOOD MUNI (about 28 miles; ROCKWOOD, TN; ID: RKW)
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction ||499 ||$1,816,244 ||$43,677 ||170 ||$123,978 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total ||132 ||$336,622 ||$30,602 ||72 ||$67,854 |Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Oak Ridge:
- ROANE STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 18 miles; HARRIMAN, TN; Full-time enrollment: 3,490)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE (about 23 miles; KNOXVILLE, TN; FT enrollment: 23,333)
- PELLISSIPPI STATE TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 23 miles; KNOXVILLE, TN; FT enrollment: 5,196)
- CARSON-NEWMAN COLLEGE (about 57 miles; JEFFERSON CITY, TN; FT enrollment: 2,073)
- LEE UNIVERSITY (about 69 miles; CLEVELAND, TN; FT enrollment: 3,171)
- CLEVELAND STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 69 miles; CLEVELAND, TN; FT enrollment: 2,022)
- WALTERS STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 72 miles; MORRISTOWN, TN; FT enrollment: 3,893)
Public high school in Oak Ridge:
- OAK RIDGE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,469; Location: 127 PROVIDENCE RD; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Oak Ridge:
- ROBERTSVILLE MIDDLE (Students: 712; Location: 245 ROBERTSVILLE RD; Grades: 05 - 08)
- JEFFERSON MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 682; Location: 200 FAIRBANKS RD; Grades: 05 - 08)
- WOODLAND ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 428; Location: 168 MANHATTAN AV; Grades: KG - 04)
- WILLOW BROOK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 376; Location: 298 ROBERTSVILLE RD; Grades: KG - 04)
- LINDEN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 368; Location: 700 ROBERTSVILLE RD; Grades: KG - 04)
- GLENWOOD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 325; Location: 125 AUDUBON RD; Grades: KG - 04)
- PRESCHOOL (Location: 304 NEW YORK AV; Grades: PK - PK)
Private primary/middle schools in Oak Ridge:
- ST MARYS SCHOOL (Students: 225; Location: 323 VERMONT AVE; Grades: PK - 8)
- MONTESSORI CTR OF OAK RIDGE (Students: 30; Location: 728 EMORY VALLEY RD #24; Grades: PK - KG)
- CHRISTIAN OUTREACH ACADEMY (Students: 17; Location: PO BOX 6139 535 OAK RIDGE TRNK; Grades: KG - 8)
Library in Oak Ridge:
- OAK RIDGE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $980,273; Location: 1401 OAK RIDGE TURNPIKE; 111,564 books; 7,053 audio materials; 4,104 video materials; 231 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Oak Ridge: Clinch River Industrial Park (A), Wheat (B), Jackson Plaza Shopping Cneter (C), Grove Center (D), United States Atomic Energy Commission (E), University of Tennessee Arboretum (F), Downtown Shopping Cneter (G), Lupton Cross Roads (H), Oak Ridge Municipal Marina (I), Oak Ridge Golf and Country Club (J), South Hills Golf Course (K), South Hills Golf Club (L), Atomic Energy Museum (M), Oak Ridge Civic Center (N).
Shopping Centers: Woodland Shopping Center (1), Jackson Square Shopping Center (2), Grove Shopping Center (3), Jefferson Shopping Center (4), Hilltop Shopping Center (5), Fairbanks Shopping Center (6), Hecks Shopping Center (7).
Churches in Oak Ridge include: Central Baptist Church (A), Church of God (B), Scarboro Church of Christ (C), Saint Stephens Episcopal Church (D), Saint Marys Catholic Church (E), Royce Baptist Church (F), Robertsville Baptist Church (G), Faith Lutheran Church (H).
Cemeteries: Worthington Cemetery (1), East Fork Cemetery (2), Key Cemetery (3), New Hope Cemetery (4), Shelton Cemetery (5), Bethel Cemetery (6), Gravel Hill Cemetery (7).
Reservoir: Whiteoak Lake (A).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Raccoon Creek (A), Braden Branch (B), Walker Branch (C), McCoy Branch (D), Melton Branch (E), Mill Branch (F), Grassy Creek (G), Scarboro Creek (H), Roberts Branch (I).
Parks in Oak Ridge include: Carbide Park (1), A K Bissell Park (2), Chestnut Ridge Park (3), Haw Ridge Park (4), Oak Ridge Municipal Park (5), Lasalle Park (6).
Post office: (A).
Oak Ridge compared to Tennessee state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- Population density significantly below state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Oak Ridge:
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WATO (1290 AM; 5 kW; OAK RIDGE, TN)
- WMTY (670 AM; daytime; 3 kW; FARRAGUT, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WQBB (1040 AM; daytime; 10 kW; POWELL, TN; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WNOX (990 AM; 10 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN)
- WECO (940 AM; 5 kW; WARTBURG, TN; Owner: MORGAN COUNTY B/CASTING CO.)
- WVLZ (1180 AM; daytime; 10 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: KIRKLAND WIRELESS BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WRJZ (620 AM; 5 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: TENNESSEE MEDIA ASSOCIATES, INC)
- WLIL (730 AM; 1 kW; LENOIR CITY, TN; Owner: BP BROADCASTERS, LLC)
- WFLI (1070 AM; 50 kW; LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN, TN; Owner: WFLI, INC.)
- WWAM (820 AM; daytime; 50 kW; JASPER, TN; Owner: SHELTON BROADCASTING SYSTEM)
- WYSH (1380 AM; 1 kW; CLINTON, TN; Owner: CLINTON BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WBLC (1360 AM; 1 kW; LENOIR CITY, TN; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Oak Ridge:
- WDVX (89.9 FM; CLINTON, TN; Owner: CUMBERLAND COMMUNITIES COMMUNI CORP.)
- WOKI-FM (100.3 FM; OAK RIDGE, TN; Owner: OAK RIDGE FM, INC.)
- WUOT (91.9 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE)
- WMYU (93.1 FM; KARNS, TN; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WNFZ (94.3 FM; OAK RIDGE, TN; Owner: JOHN W. PIRKLE)
- WJXB-FM (97.5 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WKZX-FM (93.5 FM; LENOIR CITY, TN; Owner: BP BROADCASTERS, LLC)
- WYLV (89.1 FM; ALCOA, TN; Owner: FOOTHILLS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WIVK-FM (107.7 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WYFC (95.3 FM; CLINTON, TN; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WWST (102.1 FM; SEVIERVILLE, TN; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WIMZ-FM (103.5 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMM., CORP.)
- WWSR (105.7 FM; ROCKWOOD, TN; Owner: SOUTHERN MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WKVL-FM (105.3 FM; LOUDON, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WBZH (92.7 FM; HARRIMAN, TN; Owner: SOUTHERN MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WYIL-FM (98.7 FM; OLIVER SPRINGS, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WNOX-FM (99.1 FM; LOUDON, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WRMX-FM (106.7 FM; NORRIS, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WECO-FM (101.3 FM; WARTBURG, TN; Owner: MORGAN COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKTS (90.1 FM; KINGSTON, TN; Owner: THE KINGSTON CENTURY CLUB INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Oak Ridge:
- WDTT-LP (Channel 38; LENOIR CITY, TN; Owner: WORD OF GOD FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
- W46DC (Channel 46; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WVLT-TV (Channel 8; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: WVLT LICENSEE CORP.)
- WKOP-TV (Channel 15; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE PUBLIC COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WBIR-TV (Channel 10; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: GANNETT PACIFIC CORPORATION)
- WATE-TV (Channel 6; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: WATE, G.P.)
- WTNZ (Channel 43; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: RAYCOM AMERICA, INC.)
- WEEE-LP (Channel 32; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: TIGER EYE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WEZK-LP (Channel 28; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- W50AB (Channel 50; HIAWASSEE, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- W50CG (Channel 50; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- W56CM (Channel 56; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: VENTANA TELEVISION, INC.)
- WFEM-LP (Channel 12; HEISKELL, ETC., TN; Owner: H. EARL MARLAR)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.