Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 38,889. Estimated population in July 2005: 38,531 (-0.9% change)
Males: 18,764 (48.3%), Females: 20,125 (51.7%)
Zip codes: .
Median resident age: 29.2 years
Median household income: $33,070 (year 2000)
Median house value: $131,200 (year 2000)
Burlington, VT residents, houses, and apartments details
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Burlington:
- White Non-Hispanic (91.5%)
- Two or more races (2.3%)
- Black (1.8%)
- Hispanic (1.4%)
- American Indian (1.3%)
- Vietnamese (1.2%)
- Other race (0.5%)
Ancestries: Irish (17.8%), English (13.6%), French (12.7%), German (10.2%), French Canadian (8.8%), Italian (7.1%).
New! Vermont forum
Elevation: 113 feet
Land area: 10.6 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Burlington
- High school or higher: 87.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 42.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 15.6%
- Unemployed: 5.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 16.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Burlington city
- Never married: 50.5%
- Now married: 34.1%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 5.0%
- Divorced: 9.2%
8.1% Foreign born (4.0% Europe, 2.5% Asia, 1.0% North America).
Population change in the 1990s: -278 (-0.7%).
Tennis Schools - Tennis Programs, all levels Great vacation locations, VT & FL />
Villa in Vermont - most beautiful estate in VT For sale now - must be seen! />
Vermont Real Estate - Real Estate Buyer's Advocate Search All local listings. Get Info />
VT Getaway Packages - 1833 resort in the heart of beautiful Stowe village. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: NY Schenectady, (126.0 miles pop. 61,821).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: MA Boston, (209.5 miles pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: York, NY New (265.8 miles pop. 8,008,278).
Nearest cities: VT (2.9 miles Winooski, Burlington, VT South (3.6 miles VT (6.6 miles Colchester, VT (7.2 miles Shelburne, Junction, VT (7.9 miles Essex VT (11.1 miles Williston, Hero, VT South (12.4 miles VT (12.4 miles Charlotte,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 29 buildings, average cost: $83,500
- 1997: 25 buildings, average cost: $86,100
- 1998: 14 buildings, average cost: $105,900
- 1999: 11 buildings, average cost: $173,200
- 2000: 9 buildings, average cost: $131,800
- 2001: 9 buildings, average cost: $100,500
- 2002: 7 buildings, average cost: $129,600
- 2003: 19 buildings, average cost: $341,200
- 2004: 8 buildings, average cost: $85,800
- 2005: 10 buildings, average cost: $202,400
Latitude: 44.48 N, Longitude: 73.22 W
Area code: 802
Burlington, Vermont business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (27.2%), Retail trade (13.8%), Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (12.0%), Manufacturing (10.5%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +9,430 (+24.2%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 11,154 (53.5%)
Crime in Burlington by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2000 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 |
|Murders ||3 ||0 ||0 ||1 ||3 |
| per 100,000 ||7.7 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||2.6 ||7.7 |
|Rapes ||13 ||31 ||16 ||5 ||20 |
| per 100,000 ||33.4 ||79.7 ||41.1 ||12.9 ||51.4 |
|Robberies ||21 ||31 ||21 ||18 ||14 |
| per 100,000 ||54.0 ||79.7 ||54.0 ||46.3 ||36.0 |
|Assaults ||105 ||116 ||105 ||91 ||103 |
| per 100,000 ||270.0 ||298.3 ||270.0 ||234.0 ||264.9 |
|Burglaries ||366 ||500 ||379 ||324 ||260 |
| per 100,000 ||941.1 ||1285.7 ||974.6 ||833.1 ||668.6 |
|Thefts ||1,374 ||2,230 ||2,069 ||1,349 ||1,107 |
| per 100,000 ||3533.1 ||5734.3 ||5320.3 ||3468.8 ||2846.6 |
|Auto thefts ||118 ||115 ||96 ||83 ||46 |
| per 100,000 ||303.4 ||295.7 ||246.9 ||213.4 ||118.3 |
| ||322.8 ||458.5 ||387.4 ||282.5 ||262.2 |
Average climate in Burlington, Vermont
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Birthplace of: John Dewey - (1859-1952), philosopher, Nicholas Tipson - College basketball player (Quinnipiac Bobcats), Ralph Abraham - (born 1936), mathematician.
Main business address for: CHITTENDEN CORP /VT/ (STATE COMMERCIAL BANKS).
Hospital/medical center in Burlington:
- FLETCHER ALLEN HOSPITAL OF VERMONT (COLCHESTER AVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Burlington:
- CHAMPLAIN VALLEY PHYSICIANS HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; PLATTSBURGH, NY)
- NORTHWESTERN MEDICAL CENTER INC (about 24 miles; SAINT ALBANS, VT)
- ELIZABETHTOWN COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 32 miles; ELIZABETHTOWN, NY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Burlington:
- BURLINGTON INTL (about 6 miles; BURLINGTON, VT; ID: BTV)
- CLINTON CO (about 25 miles; PLATTSBURGH, NY; ID: PLB)
- RUTLAND STATE (about 70 miles; RUTLAND, VT; ID: RUT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Burlington:
- PLATTSBURGH INTL (about 21 miles; PLATTSBURGH, NY; ID: PBG)
- BASIN HARBOR (about 23 miles; VERGENNES, VT; ID: B06)
- WESTPORT (about 27 miles; WESTPORT, NY; ID: N25)
Amtrak stations near Burlington:
- 8 miles: BURLINGTON-ESSEX JUNCTION (ESSEX JUNCTION, 29 RAILROAD AVE.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, ATM, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 17 miles: PORT KENT (RTE. 9 NORTH) - Seasonal Station. Services: free short-term parking, call for taxi service.
Local government website:
Colleges/Universities in Burlington:
- UNIVERSITY OF VERMONT AND STATE AGRICULTURAL COLL (Full-time enrollment: 8,852; Location: 85 S PROSPECT ST; Public; Website: www.uvm.edu; Offers Doctor's degree)
- CHAMPLAIN COLLEGE (FT enrollment: 1,881; Location: 163 S WILLARD ST; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.champlain.edu)
- BURLINGTON COLLEGE (FT enrollment: 150; Location: 95 NORTH AVE; Private, not-for-profit)
- VERMONT COLLEGE OF COSMETOLOGY (FT enrollment: 50; Location: 187 PEARL; Private, for-profit)
- FLETCHER ALLEN HEALTH CARE SCHOOL OF CYTOTECH (Location: 111 COLCHESTER AVE; Private, not-for-profit)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Burlington:
- SAINT MICHAELS COLLEGE (about 5 miles; COLCHESTER, VT; Full-time enrollment: 2,272)
- SUNY COLLEGE AT PLATTSBURGH (about 23 miles; PLATTSBURGH, NY; FT enrollment: 5,601)
- MIDDLEBURY COLLEGE (about 34 miles; MIDDLEBURY, VT; FT enrollment: 2,265)
- NORWICH UNIVERSITY (about 46 miles; NORTHFIELD, VT; FT enrollment: 2,585)
- ADIRONDACK COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 86 miles; QUEENSBURY, NY; FT enrollment: 2,182)
- DARTMOUTH COLLEGE (about 86 miles; HANOVER, NH; FT enrollment: 5,309)
- SUNY EMPIRE STATE COLLEGE (about 104 miles; SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY; FT enrollment: 4,499)
Public high schools in Burlington:
- BURLINGTON SENIOR HIGH SCH (Students: 1,135; Location: 52 INSTITUTE ROAD; Grades: 09 - 12)
- BURLINGTON TECHNICAL CENTER (Location: 52 INSTITUTE RD; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high schools in Burlington:
- ROCK POINT SCHOOL (Students: 35; Location: 1 ROCK POINT ROAD; Grades: 9 - 12)
- HULL CREST (Students: 19; Location: 455 NORTH STREET; Grades: 9 - 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Burlington:
- LYMAN C. HUNT MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 468; Location: 1364 NORTH AVENUE; Grades: 06 - 08)
- EDMUNDS MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 366; Location: 275 MAIN STREET; Grades: 06 - 08)
- J. J. FLYNN SCHOOL (Students: 325; Location: 1645 NORTH AVENUE; Grades: KG - 05)
- EDMUNDS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 303; Location: 299 MAIN STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
- C. P. SMITH SCHOOL (Students: 296; Location: 332 ETHAN ALLEN PARKWAY; Grades: KG - 05)
- CHAMPLAIN SCHOOL (Students: 287; Location: 800 PINE STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
- WHEELER SCHOOL (Students: 221; Location: 6 ARCHIBALD STREET; Grades: PK - 05)
- BURLINGTON S.D. (Students: 197; Location: 150 COLCHESTER AVENUE; Grades: PK - 12)
- LAWRENCE BARNES SCHOOL (Students: 156; Location: 123 NORTH STREET; Grades: KG - 05)
- ESSENTIAL EARLY EDUCATION C (Students: 42; Location: 150 COLCHESTER AVENUE; Grades: PK - PK)
Private primary/middle schools in Burlington:
- MATER CHRISTI SCHOOL (Students: 397; Location: 50 MANSFIELD AVENUE; Grades: PK - 8)
- CHRIST THE KING ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 237; Location: 136 LOCUST STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
- ST JOSEPH SCHOOL (Students: 203; Location: 20 ALLEN ST.; Grades: PK - 8)
- YMCA PRESCHOOL AND KINDERGARTE (Students: 177; Location: 266 COLLEGE ST; Grades: PK - KG)
- TRINITY COLLEGE CHILD CARE CEN (Students: 68; Location: 208 COLCHESTER AVE; Grades: PK - KG)
- SCHOOLHOUSE INC (Students: 56; Location: 20 ALLEN ST; Grades: KG - 6)
- NORTH AVENUE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 46; Location: 901 NORTH AVENUE; Grades: KG - 6)
- BAIRD CENT FOR CHILD AND FAMIL (Students: 42; Location: 1110 PINE STREET; Grades: UG - UG)
- EARLY LEARNING PRESCHOOL CTR (Students: 15; Location: 121 MAPLE STREET; Grades: PK - KG)
Library in Burlington:
- FLETCHER FREE (Operating income: $1,162,001; Location: 235 COLLEGE ST.; 110,715 books; 3,152 audio materials; 2,592 video materials; 250 serial subscriptions)
| || |
Notable locations in Burlington: North Breakwater Light (A), Perkins Pier (B), Vermont State Craft Center Shelburne Farms (C), Saint Marks Youth Center (D), Burlington Country Club (E), Union Station (F), Providence Orphan Assylum and Hospital (G), South Breakwater Light (H), Ethan Allen Tower (I), Mayes Boat Landing Ramp (J), Trinity College Library (K), The Lund Family Center Library (L), Burlington City Hall (M), Burlington Community Boathouse (N), Lake Champlain Basin Science Center (O), South Burlington Community Library (P), Masonic Temple (Q), Sara M Holbrook Community Center (R), Saint Marks Family Center (S), Saint Johns Club (T).
Shopping Centers: Church Street Marketplace Shopping Center (1), North Avenue Shopping Center (2), Burlington Square Shopping Center (3), Burlington Plaza Shopping Center (4), Ethan Allen Shopping Center (5).
Churches in Burlington include: Saint Mark Church (A), Champlain Valley Baptist Church (B), Church of God in Christ (C), Saint Josephs Church (D), Ohavi Zedek Synagogue (E), Burlington Friends Meeting House (F), Christian Science Reading Room (G), Christ the King Church (H).
Cemeteries: Mount Calvary Cemetery (1), Ohavi Zedek Cemetery (2), Greenmount Cemetery (3), Saint Joseph Cemetery (4), Elmwood Avenue Cemetery (5), Episcopal Diocese Cemetery (6), Lakeview Cemetery (7).
Parks in Burlington include: Waterfront Park (1), North Beach Park (2), Pearl Street Historic District (3), Head of Church Street Historic District (4), Battery Street Historic District (5), Battery Park (6), Main Street-College Street Historic District (7), Ethan Allen Park (8), The Cottage Green (9).
Post office: (A).
Burlington compared to Vermont state average:
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Burlington:
- WVAA (1390 AM; 5 kW; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, KDR, LLC)
- WVMT (620 AM; 5 kW; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: SISON BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WJOY (1230 AM; 1 kW; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: HALL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WEAV (960 AM; 5 kW; PLATTSBURGH, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTWK (1070 AM; daytime; 5 kW; PLATTSBURGH, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WDEV (550 AM; 5 kW; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Burlington:
- WCPV (101.3 FM; ESSEX, NY; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRUV (90.1 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: THE UNIVERSITY OF VERMONT)
- WOKO (98.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: HALL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- W213AZ (90.5 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- WXXX (95.5 FM; SOUTH BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: SISON BROADCASTING, INC.)
- W207AX (89.3 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- WCVT (101.7 FM; STOWE, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT CLASSICS, L.L.C.)
- WEZF (92.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WVPS (107.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WXZO (96.7 FM; WILLSBORO, NY; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WIZN (106.7 FM; VERGENNES, VT; Owner: BURLINGTON BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WLKC (103.3 FM; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO BROADCASTING SERVICES, INC.)
- WNCS (104.7 FM; MONTPELIER, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WDEV-FM (96.1 FM; WARREN, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WCEL (91.9 FM; PLATTSBURGH, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WGLY-FM (91.5 FM; BOLTON, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WLFE-FM (102.3 FM; ST. ALBANS, VT; Owner: CHAMPLAIN COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WWPV-FM (88.7 FM; COLCHESTER, VT; Owner: SAINT MICHAEL'S COLLEGE)
- WXLU (88.3 FM; PERU, NY; Owner: THE ST. LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Burlington:
- W16AL (Channel 16; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- W51CB (Channel 51; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: DEEPAK VISWANATH)
- W19BR (Channel 19; MONKTON, VT; Owner: PLATTSBURGH PARTNERS)
- WPTZ (Channel 5; NORTH POLE, NY; Owner: HEARST-ARGYLE STATIONS, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.