Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 17,367. Estimated population in July 2005: 17,335 (-0.2% change)
Males: 7,825 (45.1%), Females: 9,542 (54.9%)
Median resident age: 41.3 years
Median household income: $27,389 (year 2000)
Median house value: $71,400 (year 2000)
Bristol, VA residents, houses, and apartments details
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Bristol:
- White Non-Hispanic (91.9%)
- Black (5.6%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
- Hispanic (1.0%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
Ancestries: United States (18.1%), Irish (11.1%), English (10.2%), German (10.0%), Scotch-Irish (3.4%), Dutch (1.8%).
New! Virginia forum
Elevation: 1700 feet
Land area: 12.9 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Bristol
- High school or higher: 72.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 17.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.5%
- Unemployed: 6.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Bristol city
- Never married: 19.0%
- Now married: 54.1%
- Separated: 2.8%
- Widowed: 12.2%
- Divorced: 11.9%
1.4% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -1,066 (-5.8%).
Real Estate - 1,000's of VA real estate listings, photo's & daily updates! />
VA Apartments - homes in Blacksburg, VA near Virginia Tech campus />
Plans - of house plan sites. Visit our house plan listings. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: City, TN Johnson (23.4 miles pop. 55,469).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NC Charlotte, (134.1 miles pop. 540,828).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: IL Chicago, (523.2 miles pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: TN Bristol, (3.3 miles Hill, TN (6.2 miles Walnut TN (11.6 miles Blountville, City, TN (12.3 miles Bluff VA Abingdon, (15.4 miles TN (16.3 miles Hunter, TN (18.6 miles Watauga, VA (19.2 miles Nickelsville,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
Latitude: 36.61 N, Longitude: 82.18 W
Area code: 276
Bristol, Virginia business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Manufacturing (23.8%), Educational,health and social services (17.6%), Retail trade (15.2%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +5,432 (+31.3%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 3,230 (46.4%)
Crime in Bristol by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||1 ||3 ||0 ||0 ||1 |
| per 100,000 ||5.8 ||17.3 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||5.8 |
|Rapes ||5 ||4 ||3 ||4 ||7 |
| per 100,000 ||28.8 ||23.0 ||17.3 ||23.0 ||40.3 |
|Robberies ||8 ||7 ||9 ||4 ||25 |
| per 100,000 ||46.1 ||40.3 ||51.8 ||23.0 ||144.0 |
|Assaults ||56 ||39 ||80 ||81 ||62 |
| per 100,000 ||322.5 ||224.6 ||460.6 ||466.4 ||357.0 |
|Burglaries ||50 ||74 ||69 ||84 ||108 |
| per 100,000 ||287.9 ||426.1 ||397.3 ||483.7 ||621.9 |
|Thefts ||373 ||509 ||565 ||547 ||524 |
| per 100,000 ||2147.8 ||2930.8 ||3253.3 ||3149.7 ||3017.2 |
|Auto thefts ||23 ||32 ||34 ||23 ||35 |
| per 100,000 ||132.4 ||184.3 ||195.8 ||132.4 ||201.5 |
| ||212.2 ||245.3 ||288.2 ||279.8 ||316.8 |
Average climate in Bristol, Virginia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Bristol-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Virginia state average. It is 72% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/4/1974, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 24.1 miles away from the Bristol city center killed one person and injured 4 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 7/10/1980, a category 3 tornado 30.8 miles away from the city center injured 12 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Hospitals/medical centers near Bristol:
- SELECT SPECIALTY HOSPITAL-TRICITIES (about 4 miles; BRISTOL, TN)
- BRISTOL REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 10 miles; BRISTOL, TN)
- JOHNSTON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; ABINGDON, VA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Bristol:
- TRI-CITIES RGNL TN/VA (about 19 miles; BRISTOL/JOHNSON/KINGSPORT, TN; ID: TRI)
- HICKORY REGIONAL (about 82 miles; HICKORY, NC; ID: HKY)
- ASHEVILLE REGIONAL (about 85 miles; ASHEVILLE, NC; ID: AVL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Bristol:
- VIRGINIA HIGHLANDS (about 12 miles; ABINGDON, VA; ID: VJI)
- ELIZABETHTON MUNI (about 17 miles; ELIZABETHTON, TN; ID: 0A9)
- JOHNSON CITY (about 20 miles; JOHNSON CITY, TN; ID: 0A4)
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction ||273 ||$924,746 ||$40,648 ||0 ||$0 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total ||61 ||$130,178 ||$25,608 ||121 ||$197,376 |Colleges/Universities in Bristol:
- VIRGINIA INTERMONT COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 499; Location: 1013 MOORE ST; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.vic.edu)
- VIRGINIA ACADEMY OF HAIRSTYLING (Location: 623 SYCAMORE ST; Private, for-profit)
- GRAHAM BIBLE COLLEGE (Location: PO BOX 1630; Private, not-for-profit)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Bristol:
- NORTHEAST STATE TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 15 miles; BLOUNTVILLE, TN; Full-time enrollment: 2,729)
- EAST TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 26 miles; JOHNSON CITY, TN; FT enrollment: 9,498)
- APPALACHIAN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 42 miles; BOONE, NC; FT enrollment: 12,245)
- SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 43 miles; RICHLANDS, VA; FT enrollment: 2,412)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT ASHEVILLE (about 73 miles; ASHEVILLE, NC; FT enrollment: 2,759)
- ASHEVILLE BUNCOMBE TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 75 miles; ASHEVILLE, NC; FT enrollment: 2,728)
- BLUEFIELD STATE COLLEGE (about 81 miles; BLUEFIELD, WV; FT enrollment: 2,096)
Public high schools in Bristol:
- VIRGINIA HIGH (Students: 701; Location: 1200 LONG CRESCENT DR; Grades: 09 - 12)
- JOHN S. BATTLE HIGH (Students: 557; Location: 21264 BATTLE HILL DR; Grades: 09 - 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Bristol:
- VIRGINIA MIDDLE (Students: 560; Location: 501 PIEDMONT AVENUE; Grades: 06 - 08)
- HIGH POINT ELEM. (Students: 519; Location: 14091 SINKING CREEK RD; Grades: PK - 05)
- WALLACE MIDDLE (Students: 484; Location: 13077 WALLACE PIKE; Grades: 06 - 08)
- VALLEY INSTITUTE ELEM. (Students: 345; Location: 4350 GATE CITY HWY; Grades: PK - 05)
- JOSEPH VAN PELT ELEM. (Students: 345; Location: 200 SPRING HILL TERRACE; Grades: PK - 05)
- STONEWALL JACKSON ELEM. (Students: 292; Location: 2045 EUCLID AVE; Grades: PK - 05)
- WASHINGTON LEE ELEM. (Students: 232; Location: WASHINGTON LEE DR; Grades: PK - 05)
- HIGHLAND VIEW ELEM. (Students: 194; Location: 1405 EADS ST; Grades: PK - 05)
- CROSSROADS ALTERNATIVE/BRISTOL CITY (Location: C/O BRISTOL CITY PUBLIC SCHLS; Grades: 06 - 12)
- HIGHLANDS JUVENILE DETENTION HOME (Location: 2105 SHAKESVILLE ROAD; Grades: KG - 12)
Private primary/middle schools in Bristol:
- ST ANNES SCHOOL (Students: 251; Location: 300 EUCLID AVE; Grades: PK - 6)
- SULLINS ACADEMY (Students: 161; Location: 2000 BLEVINS BLVD; Grades: PK - 8)
- MORRISON SCHOOL (Students: 26; Location: 139 TERRACE DR.; Grades: UG - UG)
Library in Bristol:
- BRISTOL PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $983,555; Location: 701 GOODE STREET; 116,510 books; 3,288 audio materials; 3,688 video materials; 312 serial subscriptions)
| || |
Notable locations in Bristol: Old Airport Road Industrial Park (A), J F Hicks Memorial Library (B), Jane Hammit Memorial Orphanage (C), Bristol City Hall (D), Bristol City Jail (E), East Hall (F), Hodges Hall (G).
Shopping Centers: West Mall Plaza Shopping Center (1), Euclid Avenue Shopping Center (2), Bristol Mall Shopping Center (3), Bristol Plaza Shopping Center (4), Giant Plaza Shopping Center (5).
Churches in Bristol include: Reynolds Memorial United Methodist Church (A), Saint Annes Catholic Church (B), Baptist Goodwill Center (C), Grace Baptist Church (D), Grace Mission (E), Scenic Park Church (F), Beaverview Church (G), Shakesville Church of Christ (H).
Cemeteries: Teeter Cemetery (1), Susong Cemetery (2), Citizens Cemetery (3), Mountain View Cemetery (4), East Hill Cemetery (5), Sharrett Cemetery (6).
Reservoirs: Clear Creek Lake (A), Beaver Creek Lake (B), Beaver Creek Impoundment (C).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Goose Creek (A), Clear Creek (B), Susong Branch (C).
Parks in Bristol include: Eastern Park (1), Randolph Field (2), Mumpower Park (3).
Post office: (A).
Bristol compared to Virginia state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Bristol:
- WZAP (690 AM; 10 kW; BRISTOL, VA; Owner: RAM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WFHG (980 AM; 5 kW; BRISTOL, VA; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WOPI (1490 AM; 1 kW; BRISTOL, TN; Owner: HOLTON VALLEY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WBCV (1550 AM; 5 kW; BRISTOL, TN; Owner: SUNSHINE BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WGOC (640 AM; 10 kW; BLOUNTVILLE, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WPWT (870 AM; daytime; 10 kW; COLONIAL HEIGHTS, TN; Owner: INFORMATION COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WHGG (1090 AM; daytime; 10 kW; KINGSPORT, TN; Owner: APPALACHIAN EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIO)
- WFGW (1010 AM; 50 kW; BLACK MOUNTAIN, NC; Owner: BLUE RIDGE BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WJCW (910 AM; 5 kW; JOHNSON CITY, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WETB (790 AM; 5 kW; JOHNSON CITY, TN; Owner: MOUNTAIN SIGNALS, INC.)
- WKIN (1320 AM; 5 kW; KINGSPORT, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WKTP (1590 AM; 10 kW; JONESBOROUGH, TN; Owner: HOLSTON VALLEY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WXLZ (1140 AM; daytime; 3 kW; ST. PAUL, VA; Owner: YEARY BROADCASTING, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Bristol:
- WHCB (91.5 FM; BRISTOL, TN; Owner: APPALACHIAN EDUC. COMMUNICATION CORP)
- WETS-FM (89.5 FM; JOHNSON CITY, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WCQR-FM (88.3 FM; KINGSPORT, TN; Owner: POSITIVE ALTERNATIVE RADIO, INC.)
- WXBQ-FM (96.9 FM; BRISTOL, TN; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- W214AP (90.7 FM; JOHNSON CITY, TN; Owner: THE MOODY BIBLE INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO)
- WPJO (99.3 FM; ELIZABETHTON, TN; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- W213AN (90.5 FM; BRISTOL, VA; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WTFM (98.5 FM; KINGSPORT, TN; Owner: HOLSTON VALLEY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- W249AK (97.7 FM; BRISTOL, TN; Owner: HOLSTON VALLEY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WQUT (101.5 FM; JOHNSON CITY, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WECR-FM (102.3 FM; BEECH MOUNTAIN, NC; Owner: RONDINARO BROADCASTING, INC)
- WXLZ-FM (107.3 FM; LEBANON, VA; Owner: YEARY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WRZK (95.9 FM; COLONIAL HEIGHTS, TN; Owner: MURRAY COMMUNICATIONS)
- WZJS (100.7 FM; BANNER ELK, NC; Owner: HIGHLAND COMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATES, LLC)
- WFHG-FM (92.7 FM; ABINGDON, VA; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WMIT (106.9 FM; BLACK MOUNTAIN, NC; Owner: BLUE RIDGE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNCW (88.7 FM; SPINDALE, NC; Owner: ISOTHERMAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
- WKJV-LP (100.5 FM; BRISTOL, VA; Owner: BELLE MEADOWS BAPTIST CHURCH)
- W223AA (92.5 FM; BIG STONE GAP, VA; Owner: VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCSK (90.3 FM; KINGSPORT, TN; Owner: KINGSPORT CITY SCHOOLS BD. OF EDUC .)
TV broadcast stations around Bristol:
- WCYB-TV (Channel 5; BRISTOL, VA; Owner: APPALACHIAN BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WOPI-CA (Channel 9; BRISTOL,VA/KINGSPORT, TN; Owner: HOLSTON VALLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WKPT-TV (Channel 19; KINGSPORT, TN; Owner: HOLSTON VALLEY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WJHL-TV (Channel 11; JOHNSON CITY, TN; Owner: MEDIA GENERAL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WAPK-CA (Channel 36; BRISTOL,VA/KINGSPORT, TN; Owner: HOLSTON VALLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WLFG (Channel 68; GRUNDY, VA; Owner: LIVING FAITH MINISTRIES, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.