Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 45,049
Males: 21,021 (46.7%), Females: 24,028 (53.3%)
Median resident age: 25.6 years
Median household income: $31,007 (year 2000)
Median house value: $119,000 (year 2000)
Charlottesville, VA residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Charlottesville:
- White Non-Hispanic (68.4%)
- Black (22.2%)
- Hispanic (2.4%)
- Two or more races (2.1%)
- Chinese (1.5%)
- Asian Indian (1.2%)
- Other race (1.0%)
- Korean (0.7%)
- American Indian (0.5%)
Ancestries: English (12.0%), German (12.0%), Irish (9.7%), United States (7.4%), Italian (4.0%), Scottish (3.5%).Virginia
Elevation: 594 feet
Land area: 10.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Charlottesville
- High school or higher: 80.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 40.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 21.4%
- Unemployed: 4.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 16.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Charlottesville city
- Never married: 56.1%
- Now married: 29.1%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 5.1%
- Divorced: 7.8%
6.9% Foreign born (3.1% Asia, 1.7% Europe, 1.2% Latin America).
of McLean Apt's - to Tysons, I-495 & I-66 Walk to shops & restaurants />
Area Info - Real Estate Search Charlottesville Real Estate Info. />
Virginia - estate, farms, estates, houses land, historic properties />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: VA Lynchburg, (64.1 miles pop. 65,269).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: DC Washington, (118.1 miles pop. 572,059).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: PA Philadelphia, (266.8 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Monticello, VA (13.6 miles Lake VA (15.0 miles Crozet, VA Scottsville, (16.1 miles VA Stanardsville, (18.4 miles VA (21.7 miles Gordonsville, VA (25.7 miles Dooms, VA (25.8 miles Crimora, VA (27.4 miles Elkton,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 25 buildings, average cost: $61,100
- 1997: 11 buildings, average cost: $76,900
- 1998: 37 buildings, average cost: $81,500
- 1999: 44 buildings, average cost: $85,300
- 2000: 48 buildings, average cost: $84,000
- 2001: 47 buildings, average cost: $90,700
- 2002: 53 buildings, average cost: $107,900
- 2003: 57 buildings, average cost: $116,600
- 2004: 105 buildings, average cost: $169,200
- 2005: 163 buildings, average cost: $166,700
Latitude: 38.03 N, Longitude: 78.49 W
Area code: 434
Charlottesville, Virginia business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (39.3%), Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (12.0%), Retail trade (10.3%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +14,379 (+31.9%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 11,230 (55.3%)
Crime in Charlottesville (2001):
- 3 murders (6.6 per 100,000)
- 25 rapes (54.7 per 100,000)
- 71 robberies (155.2 per 100,000)
- 364 assaults (795.7 per 100,000)
- 269 burglaries (588.1 per 100,000)
- 1,279 thefts (2796.0 per 100,000)
- 116 auto thefts (253.6 per 100,000) crime index = 413.7 (higher means more crime, US average = 330.8)
Crime in Charlottesville (2003):
- 1 murder (2.3 per 100,000)
- 20 rapes (45.1 per 100,000)
- 71 robberies (159.9 per 100,000)
- 211 assaults (475.3 per 100,000)
- 195 burglaries (439.3 per 100,000)
- 1,229 thefts (2768.6 per 100,000)
- 148 auto thefts (333.4 per 100,000) crime index = 326.6 (higher means more crime, US average = 321.8)
Average climate in Charlottesville, Virginia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Charlottesville-area historical tornado activity is near Virginia state average. It is 31% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/30/1959, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 9.2 miles away from the Charlottesville city center killed 11 people and injured 4 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 7/25/1985, a category 3 tornado 12.3 miles away from the city center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Rob Lowe - (born 1964), actor, Billy Baber - 2005 NFL player (Washington Redskins, born: Jan 17, 1979), Scott Lachance - NHL player (Columbus Blue Jackets, born: Oct 22, 1972), Aubrey Hammond - College basketball player (Vanderbilt Commodores), Kenny Arena - Major League Soccer player (DC United, born: Feb 6, 1981), Tryshan Ravenelle - College basketball player (Virginia Cavaliers).
Main business address for: FIRST AVENUE NETWORKS INC (RADIO TELEPHONE COMMUNICATIONS).
Hospitals/medical centers in Charlottesville:
- MARTHA JEFFERSON HOSPITAL (459 LOCUST AVE)
- UNIV OF VA HOSP (JEFFERSON PARK AVE)
- UVA/HEALTHSOUTH REHABILITATION HOSPITA (515 RAY C HUNT DRIVE)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Charlottesville:
- CHARLOTTESVILLE-ALBEMARLE (about 8 miles; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; ID: CHO)
- SHENANDOAH VALLEY REGIONAL (about 32 miles; STAUNTON/WAYNESBORO/HARRIS, VA; ID: SHD)
- LYNCHBURG REGIONAL/PRESTON GLENN FLD (about 70 miles; LYNCHBURG, VA; ID: LYH)
Other public-use airports nearest to Charlottesville:
- GORDONSVILLE MUNI (about 25 miles; GORDONSVILLE, VA; ID: GVE)
- EAGLE'S NEST (about 31 miles; WAYNESBORO, VA; ID: W13)
- ORANGE COUNTY (about 35 miles; ORANGE, VA; ID: OMH)
Amtrak station near Charlottesville:
- 1 miles: CHARLOTTSVILLE (CHARLOTTESVILE, 810 W. MAIN ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Housing and Community Development(Local) ||23 ||$64,202 ||$33,496 ||4 ||$2,849 |
|Transit ||84 ||$174,476 ||$24,925 ||6 ||$3,064 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction ||485 ||$2,082,435 ||$51,524 ||29 ||$45,448 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total ||281 ||$325,804 ||$13,913 ||194 ||$55,953 |Colleges/Universities in Charlottesville:
- UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA-MAIN CAMPUS (Full-time enrollment: 19,602; Public; Website: www.virginia.edu/; Offers Doctor's degree)
- PIEDMONT VIRGINIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (FT enrollment: 2,012; Location: 501 COLLEGE DR; Public; Website: www.pvcc.vccs.edu)
- VIRGINIA SCHOOL OF MASSAGE (FT enrollment: 344; Location: 2008 MORTON DR; Private, for-profit; Website: www.vasom.com)
- INSTITUTE OF TEXTILE TECHNOLOGY (FT enrollment: 21; Location: 2551 IVY RD; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.itt.edu; Offers Master's degree)
- INTERNATIONAL BEAUTY SCHOOL (FT enrollment: 12; Location: 2024 HOLIDAY DR; Private, for-profit; Website: WWW.INTLBEAUTYSCHOOLS.COM.)
- UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER-RAD (Location: DEPARTMENT OF RADIOLOGY BOX 170; Public)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Charlottesville:
- JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY (about 39 miles; HARRISONBURG, VA; Full-time enrollment: 14,447)
- LONGWOOD COLLEGE (about 51 miles; FARMVILLE, VA; FT enrollment: 3,557)
- LIBERTY UNIVERSITY (about 69 miles; LYNCHBURG, VA; FT enrollment: 5,348)
- LORD FAIRFAX COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 70 miles; MIDDLETOWN, VA; FT enrollment: 2,064)
- WASHINGTON AND LEE UNIVERSITY (about 71 miles; LEXINGTON, VA; FT enrollment: 2,063)
- MARY WASHINGTON COLLEGE (about 73 miles; FREDERICKSBURG, VA; FT enrollment: 3,731)
- J SARGEANT REYNOLDS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 75 miles; RICHMOND, VA; FT enrollment: 4,906)
Public high schools in Charlottesville:
- ALBEMARLE HIGH (Students: 1,642; Location: 2775 HYDRAULIC RD; Grades: 09 - 12)
- CHARLOTTESVILLE HIGH (Students: 1,296; Location: 1400 MELBOURNE ROAD; Grades: 09 - 12)
- MONTICELLO HIGH (Students: 1,122; Location: 1400 INDEPENDENCE WAY; Grades: 09 - 12)
- MURRAY HIGH (Students: 89; Location: 1200 FOREST ST; Grades: 09 - 12)
- CHARLOTTESVILLE-ALBEMARLE TECH (Location: 1000 EAST RIO RD; Grades: 09 - 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Charlottesville:
- WALKER UPPER ELEM. (Students: 671; Location: 1564 DAIRY ROAD; Grades: 05 - 06)
- MORTIMER Y. SUTHERLAND MIDDLE (Students: 662; Location: 2801 POWELL CREEK DR; Grades: 06 - 08)
- LESLIE H. WALTON MIDDLE (Students: 606; Location: 4217 RED HILL ROAD; Grades: 06 - 08)
- BUFORD MIDDLE (Students: 594; Location: 617 9TH STREET SW; Grades: 07 - 08)
- JACK JOUETT MIDDLE (Students: 576; Location: 2065 LAMBS RD; Grades: 06 - 08)
- PAUL H. CALE ELEM. (Students: 500; Location: 1757 AVON ST EXT; Grades: PK - 05)
- BAKER-BUTLER ELEM (Students: 494; Location: 2740 PROFIT RD.; Grades: PK - 05)
- STONE ROBINSON ELEM. (Students: 491; Location: ROUTE 729 OFF OF 250 EAST; Grades: PK - 05)
- HOLLYMEAD ELEM. (Students: 481; Location: 2775 POWELL CREEK DR; Grades: PK - 05)
- AGNOR-HURT ELEM. (Students: 434; Location: 3201 BERKMAR DR; Grades: PK - 05)
Private primary/middle school in Charlottesville:
- CHARLOTTESVILLE CATHOLIC SCH (Students: 139; Location: 200 FOUR SEASONS DR; Grades: KG - 5)
Library in Charlottesville:
- JEFFERSON-MADISON REGIONAL LIBRARY (Operating income: $4,739,352; Location: 201 EAST MARKET STREET; 457,732 books; 47,149 audio materials; 6,754 video materials; 1,089 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Charlottesville: Lady Astor Tennis Courts (A), University Hall (B), Rio (C), Madison Hall (D), Alumni Hall (E), City of Charlottesville Courthouse (F), Starr Hill (G), Corruthers Hall (H), Social Hall (I), Red Land Club (J), Jordan Hall (K), Gordon Avenue Branch Jefferson-Madison Regional Library (L), Paxton Place (M), Patton Mansion (N), Levy Opera House (O), Montebello (P), Molyneux House (Q), Livers House (R), Butler-Norris House (S), McLeod Hall (T).
Shopping Centers: Barracks Road Shopping Center (1), Meadowbrook Shopping Center (2), Willoughby Square Shopping Center (3), Corner Shops Shopping Center (4), Seminole Square Shopping Center (5).
Churches in Charlottesville include: Church of the Holy Comforter (A), Church of the Transfiguration Greek Orthodox Church (B), Bahai Faith Church (C), Saint Marks Lutheran Church (D), Saint Paul Memorial Episcopal Church (E), Saint Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church (F), Salvation Army Chapel (G), Belmont Baptist Church (H).
Cemeteries: Riverview Cemetery (1), Oakwood Cemetery (2), Maplewood Cemetery (3).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Meadow Creek (A), Pollocks Branch (B).
Parks in Charlottesville include: Ridge Street Historic District (1), Albemarle Historic District (2), Washington Park (3), Quarry Park (4), Rugby Road-University Corner Historic District (5), Lewis and Clark Memorial (6), Rives Park (7), Jackson Park (8), Greenbriar Park (9).
Post offices: Charlottesville Post Office (A), Barracks Road Station Charlottesville Post Office (B), University Station Charlottesville Post Office (C).
Charlottesville compared to Virginia state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students significantly above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Charlottesville:
- WKAV (1400 AM; 1 kW; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WINA (1070 AM; 5 kW; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: EURE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCHV (1260 AM; 5 kW; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WKTR (840 AM; daytime; 8 kW; EARLYSVILLE, VA; Owner: WKTR, INC.)
- WSVA (550 AM; 10 kW; HARRISONBURG, VA; Owner: M. BELMONT VERSTANDIG, INC.)
- WKCW (1420 AM; 50 kW; WARRENTON, VA; Owner: WAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WKCI (970 AM; 5 kW; WAYNESBORO, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRVA (1140 AM; 50 kW; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTEM (980 AM; 50 kW; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCBM (680 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WCBM MARYLAND, INC.)
- WWGB (1030 AM; daytime; 50 kW; INDIAN HEAD, MD; Owner: GOOD BODY MEDIA, LLC)
- WMET (1150 AM; 50 kW; GAITHERSBURG, MD; Owner: BELTWAY ACQUISITION CORPORATION)
- WPTF (680 AM; 50 kW; RALEIGH, NC; Owner: FIRST STATE COMMUNICATIONS)
Strongest FM radio stations in Charlottesville:
- WWWV (97.5 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: EURE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WUMX (107.5 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: AIR VIRGINIA, INC.)
- WNRN (91.9 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: STU-COMM, INC.)
- WTJU (91.1 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA)
- WQMZ (95.1 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: EURE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WVTW (88.5 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: VIRGINIA TECH FOUNDATION, INC)
- W240AF (95.9 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WUVA (92.7 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: WUVA, INC.)
- W231AD (94.1 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- W286AF (105.1 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- W294AJ (106.7 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: CSN INTERNATIONAL)
- WMRY (103.5 FM; CROZET, VA; Owner: JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY BOARD OF VISITORS)
- WVTU (89.3 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: VIRGINIA TECH FOUNDATION INC)
- WCYK-FM (99.7 FM; STAUNTON, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WACL (98.5 FM; ELKTON, VA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMXH-FM (105.7 FM; LURAY, VA; Owner: EASY RADIO, INC.)
- WHTE-FM (101.9 FM; RUCKERSVILLE, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPVA (90.1 FM; WAYNESBORO, VA; Owner: CSN INTERNATIONAL)
- WQPO (100.7 FM; HARRISONBURG, VA; Owner: M. BELMONT VERSTANDIG, INC.)
- WTON-FM (94.3 FM; STAUNTON, VA; Owner: HIGH IMPACT COMMUNICATIONS INC)
TV broadcast stations around Charlottesville:
- WVIR-TV (Channel 29; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: VIRGINIA BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WHTJ (Channel 41; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: COMMONWEALTH PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- W50CM (Channel 50; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: SHENANDOAH VALLEY EDUCUCATIONAL TV CORP.)
- W10CE (Channel 10; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: THE RECTOR & VISITORS OF UNIV. OF VA)
- W64AO (Channel 64; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
- W76AG (Channel 76; CHARLOTTESVILLE,ETC., VA; Owner: COMMONWEALTH PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.