Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 8,006
Males: 3,937 (49.2%), Females: 4,069 (50.8%)
Median resident age: 37.6 years
Median household income: $55,089 (year 2000)
Median house value: $138,000 (year 2000)
Forest, VA residents, houses, and apartments details
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Forest:
- White Non-Hispanic (91.1%)
- Black (5.6%)
- Hispanic (0.9%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
Ancestries: English (15.4%), German (13.8%), United States (12.0%), Irish (11.5%), Italian (4.4%), French (3.5%).
New! Virginia forum
Elevation: 880 feet
Land area: 14.6 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Forest
- High school or higher: 94.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 39.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 13.7%
- Unemployed: 3.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Forest CDP
- Never married: 19.8%
- Now married: 67.4%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 4.1%
- Divorced: 7.2%
2.5% Foreign born (1.5% Europe, 0.8% Asia).
VA County Homes - of over 8,000 Virginia home listings! />
VA Apartments - homes in Blacksburg, VA near Virginia Tech campus />
Coopers Crossing - in Landover Hills New Resident Center Coming Soon />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: VA Lynchburg, (7.0 miles )
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NC Greensboro, (97.0 miles )
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: PA Philadelphia, (336.5 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: VA (3.0 miles Timberlake, VA Lynchburg, (7.0 miles Heights, VA (11.3 miles Madison VA (13.3 miles Rustburg, VA (17.6 miles Altavista, VA Bedford, (17.8 miles VA (19.2 miles Hurt, VA (20.6 miles Amherst,
Latitude: 37.37 N, Longitude: 79.27 W
Industries providing employment: Manufacturing (22.2%), Educational,health and social services (21.5%), Retail trade (10.3%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -1,595 (-19.9%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 509 (12.3%)
Average climate in Forest, Virginia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Forest-area historical tornado activity is below Virginia state average. It is 58% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/16/1966, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 35.7 miles away from the Forest city center caused between $500 and $5000 in damages.
On 4/28/2002, a category 2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 5.8 miles away from the city center injured 12 people and caused $6 million in damages.
Hospitals/medical centers near Forest:
- VIRGINIA BAPTIST HOSP & LYNCHBURG GENL (about 7 miles; LYNCHBURG, VA)
- CENTRAL VIRGINIA TRAINING CENTER (about 7 miles; LYNCHBURG, VA)
- CARILION BEDFORD MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; BEDFORD, VA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Forest:
- LYNCHBURG REGIONAL/PRESTON GLENN FLD (about 6 miles; LYNCHBURG, VA; ID: LYH)
- ROANOKE REGIONAL/WOODRUM FIELD (about 49 miles; ROANOKE, VA; ID: ROA)
- DANVILLE REGIONAL (about 56 miles; DANVILLE, VA; ID: DAN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Forest:
- NEW LONDON (about 9 miles; FOREST, VA; ID: W90)
- FALWELL (about 11 miles; LYNCHBURG, VA; ID: W24)
- BROOKNEAL/CAMPBELL COUNTY (about 25 miles; BROOKNEAL, VA; ID: 0V4)
Amtrak station near Forest:
- 8 miles: LYNCHBURG (825 KEMPER ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Forest:
- LIBERTY UNIVERSITY (about 4 miles; LYNCHBURG, VA; Full-time enrollment: 5,348)
- WASHINGTON AND LEE UNIVERSITY (about 33 miles; LEXINGTON, VA; FT enrollment: 2,063)
- VIRGINIA WESTERN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 50 miles; ROANOKE, VA; FT enrollment: 3,535)
- NATIONAL BUSINESS COLLEGE (about 57 miles; SALEM, VA; FT enrollment: 2,382)
- LONGWOOD COLLEGE (about 61 miles; FARMVILLE, VA; FT enrollment: 3,557)
- UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA-MAIN CAMPUS (about 68 miles; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; FT enrollment: 19,602)
- PIEDMONT VIRGINIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 70 miles; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; FT enrollment: 2,012)
Public high school in Forest:
- JEFFERSON FOREST HIGH (Students: 1,252; Location: 1 CAVALIER CIRCLE; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in Forest:
- TIMBERLAKE CHRISTIAN SCHOOLS (Students: 491; Location: 300 HORIZON DR; Grades: PK - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Forest:
- FOREST MIDDLE (Students: 1,007; Location: 100 ASHWOOD DR; Grades: 06 - 08)
- THOMAS JEFFERSON ELEM. (Students: 616; Location: 1255 PATRIOT PLACE; Grades: PK - 05)
- FOREST ELEM. (Students: 370; Location: ONE SCHOLAR LANE; Grades: KG - 05)
- NEW LONDON ACADEMY ELEM. (Students: 290; Location: 12400 E LYNCHBURG-SALEM TRNPK; Grades: PK - 05)
Private primary/middle school in Forest:
- BLUE RIDGE MONTESSORI SCHOOL (Students: 35; Location: ROUTE 4 BOX 47; Grades: PK - 1)
| || |
Notable locations in Forest: Camp Ruthers (A), Poplar Forest Golf Course (B), Colonial Hills Golf Course (C).
Shopping Centers: Graves Mill Shopping Center (1), Forest Shopping Center (2).
Churches in Forest include: Pleasant View Church (A), Saint Stephens Church (B), Shiloh Church (C), Forest Level Church (D).
Reservoir: Poplar Forest Lake (A).
Forest compared to Virginia state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Population density below state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Forest:
- WLLL (930 AM; 10 kW; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: HUBBARD'S ADVERTISING AGENCY, INC.)
- WLVA (590 AM; 5 kW; LYNCHBURG, VA)
- WKPA (1170 AM; 5 kW; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: SEVEN HILLS MEDIA, INC.)
- WBRG (1050 AM; 1 kW; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: TRI-COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WVGM (1320 AM; 1 kW; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WFTK (1030 AM; daytime; 50 kW; WAKE FOREST, NC; Owner: POSITIVE RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- WTRU (830 AM; 50 kW; KERNERSVILLE, NC; Owner: TRUTH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WPTF (680 AM; 50 kW; RALEIGH, NC; Owner: FIRST STATE COMMUNICATIONS)
- WOWZ (1280 AM; 5 kW; APPOMATTOX, VA; Owner: ONECOM, INC.)
- WKDE (1000 AM; daytime; 1 kW; ALTAVISTA, VA; Owner: D.J. BROADCASTING, INC.,)
- WAMV (1420 AM; 2 kW; AMHERST, VA; Owner: COMMUNITY FIRST BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WKBA (1550 AM; daytime; 10 kW; VINTON, VA; Owner: TINKER CREEK BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WSVA (550 AM; 10 kW; HARRISONBURG, VA; Owner: M. BELMONT VERSTANDIG, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Forest:
- WZZU (97.9 FM; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: TRAVIS MEDIA L.L.C.)
- WYYD (107.9 FM; AMHERST, VA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WNRS-FM (89.9 FM; SWEET BRIAR, VA; Owner: SWEET BRIAR COLLEGE)
- W229AE (93.7 FM; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- W280DB (103.9 FM; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: POSITIVE ALTERNATIVE RADIO, INC.)
- WWMC (90.9 FM; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: LIBERTY UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WRVL (88.3 FM; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: LIBERTY UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WVBE-FM (100.1 FM; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: MEL WHEELER, INC.)
- WBWR (106.9 FM; BEDFORD, VA; Owner: BEDFORD RADIO PARTNERS, LLC)
- WRXT (90.3 FM; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: POSITIVE ALTERNATIVE RADIO, INC.)
- W265AS (100.9 FM; CONCORD, VA; Owner: PAUL H. PASSINK)
- WLNI (105.9 FM; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: GARY E. BURNS)
- WREL-FM (96.7 FM; BUENA VISTA, VA; Owner: EQUUS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WTON-FM (94.3 FM; STAUNTON, VA; Owner: HIGH IMPACT COMMUNICATIONS INC)
- WXCF-FM (103.9 FM; CLIFTON FORGE, VA; Owner: IMPACT BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WJJX (101.7 FM; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WROV-FM (96.3 FM; MARTINSVILLE, VA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKDE-FM (105.5 FM; ALTAVISTA, VA; Owner: D.J. BROADCASTING, INC)
- WXLK (92.3 FM; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: MEL WHEELER, INC.)
- WSLC-FM (94.9 FM; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: MEL WHEELER, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Forest:
- WTLU-CA (Channel 19; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: LIBERTY UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WSET-TV (Channel 13; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: WSET INCORPORATED)
- WJPR (Channel 21; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: GRANT BROADCASTING SYSTEMS II, INC.)
- W40BM (Channel 40; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.