Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 6,837. Estimated population in July 2005: 6,676 (-2.4% change)
Males: 3,250 (47.5%), Females: 3,587 (52.5%)
Median resident age: 39.8 years
Median household income: $28,236 (year 2000)
Median house value: $70,300 (year 2000)
Galax, VA residents, houses, and apartments details
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Galax:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (81.2%)
- Hispanic (11.1%)
- Black (6.3%)
- Other race (5.5%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
Ancestries: United States (20.1%), English (10.5%), German (5.6%), Irish (4.5%), Scottish (2.0%), Scotch-Irish (1.8%).
New! Virginia forum
Elevation: 2382 feet
Land area: 8.2 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Galax
- High school or higher: 60.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 11.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.6%
- Unemployed: 2.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Galax city
- Never married: 18.0%
- Now married: 55.5%
- Separated: 3.1%
- Widowed: 11.4%
- Divorced: 12.0%
8.6% Foreign born (7.9% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +104 (+1.5%).
Real Estate - 1,000's of VA real estate listings, photo's and daily updates />
VA Apartments - Virginia Apartment Finder! Virtual Tours, Photos, Floorplans />
Lincolnton, NC - and 3 Bedroom plans located in Lincolnton North Carolina />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: NC Winston-Salem, (59.7 miles )
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NC Greensboro, (85.8 miles pop. 223,891).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: PA Philadelphia, (458.9 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: VA (5.2 miles Fries, VA (9.4 miles Woodlawn, VA (14.3 miles Hillsville, Gap, VA (15.1 miles Fancy VA Independence, (16.2 miles NC (17.7 miles Sparta, VA (18.1 miles Cana, Chiswell, VA (19.3 miles Fort
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 14 buildings, average cost: $72,900
- 1997: 20 buildings, average cost: $90,300
- 1998: 15 buildings, average cost: $80,200
- 1999: 14 buildings, average cost: $83,900
- 2000: 13 buildings, average cost: $96,300
- 2001: 8 buildings, average cost: $101,600
- 2002: 7 buildings, average cost: $159,400
- 2003: 16 buildings, average cost: $52,700
- 2004: 12 buildings, average cost: $145,700
- 2005: 22 buildings, average cost: $78,600
Latitude: 36.66 N, Longitude: 80.92 W
Area code: 276
Galax, Virginia business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Manufacturing (39.3%), Educational,health and social services (15.6%), Retail trade (14.0%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +3,550 (+51.9%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,798 (59.7%)
Crime in Galax (2002):
- 0 murders (0.0 per 100,000)
- 3 rapes (42.6 per 100,000)
- 5 robberies (71.0 per 100,000)
- 16 assaults (227.1 per 100,000)
- 20 burglaries (283.9 per 100,000)
- 240 thefts (3407.2 per 100,000)
- 13 auto thefts (184.6 per 100,000) crime index = 262.4 (higher means more crime, US average = 328.4)
Crime in Galax (2004):
- 0 murders (0.0 per 100,000)
- 2 rapes (29.8 per 100,000)
- 1 robbery (14.9 per 100,000)
- 26 assaults (386.8 per 100,000)
- 53 burglaries (788.6 per 100,000)
- 252 thefts (3749.4 per 100,000)
- 17 auto thefts (252.9 per 100,000) crime index = 313.7 (higher means more crime, US average = 315.1)
Average climate in Galax, Virginia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Galax-area historical tornado activity is below Virginia state average. It is 58% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/7/1998, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 61.4 miles away from the Galax city center injured 2 people and caused $1 million in damages.
On 8/21/1977, a category 2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 27.2 miles away from the city center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Hospital/medical center in Galax:
- TWIN COUNTY REGIONAL HOSPITAL (200 HOSPITAL DRIVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Galax:
- ALLEGHANY COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; SPARTA, NC)
- WYTHE COUNTY COMM HOSP (about 23 miles; WYTHEVILLE, VA)
- NORTHERN HOSPITAL OF SURRY COUNTY (about 24 miles; MOUNT AIRY, NC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Galax:
- SMITH REYNOLDS (about 61 miles; WINSTON SALEM, NC; ID: INT)
- HICKORY REGIONAL (about 72 miles; HICKORY, NC; ID: HKY)
- RALEIGH COUNTY MEMORIAL (about 79 miles; BECKLEY, WV; ID: BKW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Galax:
- TWIN COUNTY (about 10 miles; GALAX HILLSVILLE, VA; ID: HLX)
- ELKIN MUNI (about 29 miles; ELKIN, NC; ID: ZEF)
- MOUNT AIRY/SURRY COUNTY (about 30 miles; MOUNT AIRY, NC; ID: MWK)
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total ||47 ||$142,595 ||$36,407 ||17 ||$6,287 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction ||129 ||$307,966 ||$28,648 ||30 ||$13,148 |College/University in Galax:
- CREATIONS HAIR ACADEMY (Location: 225 S MAIN ST; Private, for-profit)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Galax:
- NEW RIVER COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 35 miles; DUBLIN, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,262)
- RADFORD UNIVERSITY (about 42 miles; RADFORD, VA; FT enrollment: 8,034)
- BLUEFIELD STATE COLLEGE (about 47 miles; BLUEFIELD, WV; FT enrollment: 2,096)
- VIRGINIA POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE AND STATE UNIV (about 53 miles; BLACKSBURG, VA; FT enrollment: 25,754)
- CONCORD COLLEGE (about 55 miles; ATHENS, WV; FT enrollment: 2,723)
- WAKE FOREST UNIVERSITY (about 58 miles; WINSTON SALEM, NC; FT enrollment: 5,944)
- FORSYTH TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 60 miles; WINSTON SALEM, NC; FT enrollment: 3,271)
Public high school in Galax:
- GALAX HIGH (Students: 460; Location: 200 MAROON TIDE DR; Grades: 08 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Galax:
- GALAX ELEM. (Students: 549; Location: 225 ACADEMY DRIVE; Grades: KG - 04)
- GALAX MIDDLE (Students: 321; Location: MAROON TIDE DR; Grades: 05 - 07)
- GLADEVILLE ELEM. (Students: 285; Location: 3117 GLENDALE RD; Grades: KG - 05)
- OAKLAND ELEM. (Students: 218; Location: 4930 PIPERS GAP ROAD; Grades: KG - 05)
- BAYWOOD ELEM. (Students: 151; Location: 247 GRAMMAR LANE; Grades: KG - 06)
- FAIRVIEW ELEM. (Students: 149; Location: 2323 FAIRVIEW RD; Grades: KG - 06)
- COOP CTR FOR EXCEP CHILDREN (Location: MAROON TIDE DR; Grades: 00 - 00)
Private primary/middle school in Galax:
- NEW LIFE CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 16; Location: P O BOX 698; Grades: KG - 10)
Library in Galax:
- GALAX-CARROLL REGIONAL LIBRARY (Operating income: $538,906; Location: 608 W. STUART DRIVE; 65,445 books; 1,596 audio materials; 1,786 video materials; 181 serial subscriptions)
| || |
Shopping Center: Twin County Plaza Shopping Center (1).
Churches in Galax include: Church of the Good Shepherd (A), Gladeville Church (B), West Galax Methodist Church (C), Faith Temple (D), Mount Ararat Church (E), Calvary Church (F), Mount Pisgah Church (G), First Christian Church (H).
Cemeteries: Painter Cemetery (1), Mount Pisgah Cemetery (2), Monta Vista Cemetery (3), Galax Cemetery (4), Felts Memorial Cemetery (5), Gladeville Cemetery (6).
Park in Galax: Felts Park (1).
Galax compared to Virginia state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
- Population density below state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Galax:
- WWWJ (1360 AM; 5 kW; GALAX, VA; Owner: TWIN COUNTY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WPAQ (740 AM; 10 kW; MOUNT AIRY, NC; Owner: RALPH D. EPPERSON)
- WTRU (830 AM; 50 kW; KERNERSVILLE, NC; Owner: TRUTH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WSYD (1300 AM; 10 kW; MOUNT AIRY, NC; Owner: GRANITE CITY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WHKY (1290 AM; 50 kW; HICKORY, NC; Owner: LONG COMMUNICATIONS, LLC.)
- WKNV (890 AM; daytime; 10 kW; FAIRLAWN, VA; Owner: POSITIVE RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- WFNR (710 AM; daytime; 10 kW; BLACKSBURG, VA; Owner: PERCEPTION MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WKSK (580 AM; 5 kW; W.JEFFERSON, NC; Owner: CADDELL BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WBT (1110 AM; 50 kW; CHARLOTTE, NC; Owner: JEFFERSON-PILOT COMMUNICATNS CO. OF NORTH CAROLINA)
- WSGH (1040 AM; 9 kW; LEWISVILLE, NC; Owner: WINSTON-SALEM, GREENSBORO, HIGH POINT AREA RADIO)
- WYVE (1280 AM; 3 kW; WYTHEVILLE, VA; Owner: THREE RIVERS MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WPIN (810 AM; daytime; 4 kW; DUBLIN, VA; Owner: DUBLIN RADIO)
- WBDY (1190 AM; daytime; 10 kW; BLUEFIELD, VA; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Galax:
- WBRF (98.1 FM; GALAX, VA; Owner: BLUE RIDGE RADIO, INC.)
- WVTR (91.9 FM; MARION, VA; Owner: VIRGINIA TECH FOUNDATION INC)
- WPIN-FM (91.5 FM; DUBLIN, VA; Owner: POSITIVE ALTERNATIVE RADIO, INC.)
- W267AN (101.3 FM; WILKESBORO, NC; Owner: TRIAD FAMILY NETWORK, INC.)
- WPSK-FM (107.1 FM; PULASKI, VA; Owner: NEW RIVER VALLEY RADIO PARTNERS, LLC)
- KHPR (88.1 FM; HONOLULU, HI; Owner: HAWAII PUBLIC RADIO)
- WHAJ (104.5 FM; BLUEFIELD, WV; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WTQR (104.1 FM; WINSTON-SALEM, NC; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WKBC-FM (97.3 FM; NORTH WILKESBORO, NC; Owner: WILKES BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WMEV-FM (93.9 FM; MARION, VA; Owner: HOLSTON VALLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WHKX (106.3 FM; BLUEFIELD, VA; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WKOY-FM (100.9 FM; PRINCETON, WV; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- W285DJ (104.9 FM; MOUNT AIRY, NC; Owner: TRIAD FAMILY NETWORK, INC,)
- WPIB (91.1 FM; BLUEFIELD, WV; Owner: POSITIVE ALTERNATIVE RADIO, INC.)
- WOLD-FM (102.5 FM; MARION, VA; Owner: EMERALD SOUND, INC.)
- WSTG (95.9 FM; PRINCETON, WV; Owner: PRINCETON BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WIFM-FM (100.9 FM; ELKIN, NC; Owner: VON BROADCASTING, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.