Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 40,468. Estimated population in July 2005: 40,438 (-0.1% change)
Males: 19,171 (47.4%), Females: 21,297 (52.6%)
Median resident age: 22.6 years
Median household income: $29,949 (year 2000)
Median house value: $122,700 (year 2000)
Harrisonburg, VA residents, houses, and apartments details
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Harrisonburg:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (80.1%)
- Hispanic (8.8%)
- Black (5.9%)
- Other race (3.3%)
- Two or more races (2.6%)
- Korean (0.8%)
- Other Asian (0.7%)
- Chinese (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (20.0%), Irish (10.3%), English (9.6%), United States (9.2%), Italian (4.8%), Scotch-Irish (2.6%).
New! Virginia forum
Elevation: 1352 feet
Land area: 17.6 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Harrisonburg
- High school or higher: 76.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 31.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 11.7%
- Unemployed: 9.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 14.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Harrisonburg city
- Never married: 52.6%
- Now married: 35.0%
- Separated: 2.0%
- Widowed: 3.8%
- Divorced: 6.5%
9.2% Foreign born (4.8% Latin America, 2.5% Asia, 1.2% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +9,635 (+31.2%).
VA Apartments - Virginia Apartment Finder! Virtual Tours, Photos, Floorplans />
Realtors - or buying a home? Accomplished Harrisonburg Realtor />
Cty Real Estate - all Loudoun homes; receive automatic updates of new listings />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: VA Lynchburg, (74.7 miles )
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: DC Washington, (131.8 miles pop. 572,059).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: PA Philadelphia, (277.8 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: VA (4.9 miles Dayton, Crawford, VA (7.6 miles Mount VA (7.7 miles Bridgewater, VA (9.5 miles Massanutten, Cave, VA Weyers (11.2 miles VA Grottoes, (12.6 miles VA Broadway, (12.7 miles VA (14.8 miles Timberville,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 112 buildings, average cost: $82,300
- 1997: 165 buildings, average cost: $72,500
- 1998: 191 buildings, average cost: $78,000
- 1999: 188 buildings, average cost: $73,800
- 2000: 144 buildings, average cost: $81,000
- 2001: 145 buildings, average cost: $82,800
- 2002: 296 buildings, average cost: $73,100
- 2003: 218 buildings, average cost: $85,000
- 2004: 232 buildings, average cost: $87,300
- 2005: 340 buildings, average cost: $91,000
Latitude: 38.44 N, Longitude: 78.87 W
Area code: 540
Harrisonburg, Virginia business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (27.8%), Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (15.2%), Retail trade (13.7%), Manufacturing (13.6%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +13,635 (+33.7%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 12,806 (70.1%)
Crime in Harrisonburg by Year
|Type ||2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||1 ||0 ||0 ||1 |
| per 100,000 ||2.5 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||2.5 |
|Rapes ||11 ||19 ||13 ||20 |
| per 100,000 ||27.2 ||47.0 ||32.1 ||49.4 |
|Robberies ||32 ||10 ||23 ||27 |
| per 100,000 ||79.1 ||24.7 ||56.8 ||66.7 |
|Assaults ||75 ||100 ||70 ||72 |
| per 100,000 ||185.3 ||247.1 ||173.0 ||177.9 |
|Burglaries ||173 ||195 ||183 ||301 |
| per 100,000 ||427.5 ||481.9 ||452.2 ||743.8 |
|Thefts ||1,001 ||847 ||927 ||905 |
| per 100,000 ||2473.6 ||2093.0 ||2290.7 ||2236.3 |
|Auto thefts ||93 ||68 ||69 ||81 |
| per 100,000 ||229.8 ||168.0 ||170.5 ||200.2 |
| ||221.4 ||206.5 ||201.4 ||235.4 |
Average climate in Harrisonburg, Virginia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Harrisonburg-area historical tornado activity is below Virginia state average. It is 51% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/30/1959, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 32.0 miles away from the Harrisonburg city center killed one person and injured 9 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 9/30/1959, a category 3 tornado 32.3 miles away from the city center killed 11 people and injured 4 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: John Wade - 2005 NFL player (Tampa Bay Buccaneers, born: Jan 25, 1975), Travis Harper - 2005 Major League Baseball player (Tampa Bay Devil Rays, born: May 21, 1976), John Jacobs - College football player (Marshall Thundering Herd).
Hospital/medical center in Harrisonburg:
- ROCKINGHAM MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (235 CANTRELL AVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Harrisonburg:
- AUGUSTA MEDICAL CENTER (about 25 miles; FISHERSVILLE, VA)
- WOODROW WILSON REHABILITATION CENTER (about 25 miles; FISHERSVILLE, VA)
- WESTERN STATE HOSP (about 25 miles; STAUNTON, VA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Harrisonburg:
- SHENANDOAH VALLEY REGIONAL (about 14 miles; STAUNTON/WAYNESBORO/HARRIS, VA; ID: SHD)
- CHARLOTTESVILLE-ALBEMARLE (about 37 miles; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; ID: CHO)
- LYNCHBURG REGIONAL/PRESTON GLENN FLD (about 81 miles; LYNCHBURG, VA; ID: LYH)
Other public-use airports nearest to Harrisonburg:
- BRIDGEWATER AIR PARK (about 8 miles; BRIDGEWATER, VA; ID: VBW)
- NEW MARKET (about 19 miles; NEW MARKET, VA; ID: 8W2)
- EAGLE'S NEST (about 27 miles; WAYNESBORO, VA; ID: W13)
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total ||105 ||$222,794 ||$25,462 ||14 ||$7,645 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction ||536 ||$1,632,803 ||$36,555 ||150 ||$99,810 |
|Electric Power ||51 ||$208,054 ||$48,953 ||0 ||$0 |Colleges/Universities in Harrisonburg:
- JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY (Full-time enrollment: 14,447; Public; Website: www.jmu.edu; Offers Doctor's degree)
- EASTERN MENNONITE UNIVERSITY (FT enrollment: 1,238; Location: 1200 PARK RD; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.emu.edu; Offers Master's degree)
- HARRISONBURG BEAUTY COLLEGE (Location: 92 S MAIN; Private, for-profit)
- ROCKINGHAM MEMORIAL HOSPITAL SCHOOL OF MED TECHN (Location: 235 CANTRELL AVE; Private, not-for-profit)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Harrisonburg:
- UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA-MAIN CAMPUS (about 37 miles; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Full-time enrollment: 19,602)
- PIEDMONT VIRGINIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 41 miles; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; FT enrollment: 2,012)
- LORD FAIRFAX COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 58 miles; MIDDLETOWN, VA; FT enrollment: 2,064)
- WASHINGTON AND LEE UNIVERSITY (about 62 miles; LEXINGTON, VA; FT enrollment: 2,063)
- SHENANDOAH UNIVERSITY (about 71 miles; WINCHESTER, VA; FT enrollment: 2,030)
- LIBERTY UNIVERSITY (about 78 miles; LYNCHBURG, VA; FT enrollment: 5,348)
- FROSTBURG STATE UNIVERSITY (about 83 miles; FROSTBURG, MD; FT enrollment: 4,672)
Public high schools in Harrisonburg:
- HARRISONBURG HIGH (Students: 1,210; Location: 395 SOUTH HIGH STREET; Grades: 09 - 12)
- MASSANUTTEN TECH CTR (Location: 325 PLEASANT VALLEY RD; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high schools in Harrisonburg:
- EASTERN MENNONITE HIGH SCH (Students: 307; Location: 801 PARKWOOD DRIVE; Grades: 6 - 12)
- BEREA CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 171; Location: 1350 GARBERS CHURCH ROAD; Grades: 1 - 12)
- VICTORY BAPTIST ACADEMY (Students: 23; Location: 521 ALLEGHANY AVE; Grades: KG - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Harrisonburg:
- THOMAS HARRISON MIDDLE (Students: 954; Location: 1311 W. MARKET STREET; Grades: 06 - 08)
- STONE SPRING ELEM. (Students: 548; Location: 1575 PEACH GROVE AVE; Grades: KG - 05)
- MOUNTAIN VIEW ELEM. (Students: 471; Location: 2800 RAWLEY PIKE; Grades: PK - 05)
- WATERMAN ELEM. (Students: 437; Location: 451 CHICAGO AVE; Grades: KG - 05)
- SPOTSWOOD ELEM. (Students: 421; Location: 400 MOUNTAIN VIEW DRIVE; Grades: KG - 05)
- LACEY SPRING ELEM. (Students: 329; Location: 8621 NORTH VALLEY PIKE; Grades: PK - 05)
- PLEASANT VALLEY ELEM. (Students: 315; Location: 215 PLEASANT VALLEY RD; Grades: PK - 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Harrisonburg:
- EASTERN MENNONITE UNIV EARLY L (Students: 52; Location: 1600 COLLEGE AVE; Grades: PK - KG)
- CORNERSTONE CHR SCH-HARRISONBU (Students: 23; Location: PO BOX 1366; Grades: 6 - 8)
Library in Harrisonburg:
- MASSANUTTEN REGIONAL LIBRARY (Operating income: $1,840,428; Location: 174 S. MAIN STREET; 198,414 books; 4,750 audio materials; 7,543 video materials; 451 serial subscriptions)
| || |
Notable locations in Harrisonburg: Spotswood Country Club (A), Eastover Tennis Courts (B), Alumnae Hall (C), Converse Hall (D), Johnson Hall (E), Ashby Hall (F), Jackson Hall (G), Cleveland Hall (H), Gifford Hall (I), Madison Memorial Library (J), Spottswood Hall (K), Rockingham Public Library (L), Rockingham County Courthouse (M), Simms Recreation Center (N), Logan Hall (O), Harrison Hall (P), Burrus Hall (Q), Maury Hall (R), Wilson Hall (S), Sheldon Hall (T).
Shopping Centers: Harmony Square Shopping Center (1), R Ham Square Shopping Center (2), Valley Plaza Shopping Center (3), Valley Plaza Shopping Center (4), Valley Mall (5), Valley Center Shopping Center (6), Waterman Square Shopping Center (7).
Churches in Harrisonburg include: Church of God in Christ (A), Church of the Nazarene (B), Pleasant Hill Church (C), Garbers Church (D), Gay Street Mission Pentecostal Church (E), Ridgeway Mennonite Church (F), Asbury United Methodist Church (G), Saint Stephens United Church of Christ (H).
Cemeteries: Newton Cemetery (1), New Hope Cemetery (2), Hebrew Cemetery (3), Woodbine Cemetery (4), Mable Memorial Cemetery (5), Cedar Grove Cemetery (6).
Reservoir: Newman Lake (A).
Parks in Harrisonburg include: Ramblewood Field (1), Memorial Stadium (2), Purcell Park (3), Kiwanis Club Park (4), Morrison Park (5), Ralph Sampson Park (6), Hillandale Park (7).
Post office: (A).
Harrisonburg compared to Virginia state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- Number of college students significantly above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Harrisonburg:
- WSVA (550 AM; 10 kW; HARRISONBURG, VA; Owner: M. BELMONT VERSTANDIG, INC.)
- WKCY (1300 AM; 5 kW; HARRISONBURG, VA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WHBG (1360 AM; 5 kW; HARRISONBURG, VA; Owner: M. BELMONT VERSTANDIG, INC.)
- WBTX (1470 AM; 5 kW; BROADWAY-TIMBERVILLE, VA; Owner: MASSANUTTEN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKCI (970 AM; 5 kW; WAYNESBORO, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WKTR (840 AM; daytime; 8 kW; EARLYSVILLE, VA; Owner: WKTR, INC.)
- WKCW (1420 AM; 50 kW; WARRENTON, VA; Owner: WAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WKDW (900 AM; 3 kW; STAUNTON, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WNLR (1150 AM; 3 kW; CHURCHVILLE, VA; Owner: NEW LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WINA (1070 AM; 5 kW; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: EURE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCHV (1260 AM; 5 kW; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCBM (680 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WCBM MARYLAND, INC.)
- WMET (1150 AM; 50 kW; GAITHERSBURG, MD; Owner: BELTWAY ACQUISITION CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Harrisonburg:
- WQPO (100.7 FM; HARRISONBURG, VA; Owner: M. BELMONT VERSTANDIG, INC.)
- WXJM (88.7 FM; HARRISONBURG, VA; Owner: JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY BOARD OF VISITORS)
- WACL (98.5 FM; ELKTON, VA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WJDV (105.1 FM; BRIDGEWATER, VA; Owner: M. BELMONT VERSTANDIG, INC.)
- WEMC (91.7 FM; HARRISONBURG, VA; Owner: BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF EASTERN MENNONITE UNIVERSITY)
- WMRA (90.7 FM; HARRISONBURG, VA; Owner: JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY BOARD OF VISITORS)
- WBHB-FM (96.1 FM; BROADWAY, VA; Owner: HJV LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMXH-FM (105.7 FM; LURAY, VA; Owner: EASY RADIO, INC.)
- WVTU (89.3 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: VIRGINIA TECH FOUNDATION INC)
- WCYK-FM (99.7 FM; STAUNTON, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WLTK (103.3 FM; NEW MARKET, VA; Owner: MASSANUTTEN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WTON-FM (94.3 FM; STAUNTON, VA; Owner: HIGH IMPACT COMMUNICATIONS INC)
- WMRY (103.5 FM; CROZET, VA; Owner: JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY BOARD OF VISITORS)
- WPVA (90.1 FM; WAYNESBORO, VA; Owner: CSN INTERNATIONAL)
- WKCY-FM (104.3 FM; HARRISONBURG, VA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WQWV (103.7 FM; FISHER, WV; Owner: MCGUIRE BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- WWWV (97.5 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: EURE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WVLS (89.7 FM; MONTEREY, VA; Owner: POCAHONTAS COMMUNICATIONS COOPERATIVE CORP.)
- WUMX (107.5 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: AIR VIRGINIA, INC.)
- WVTW (88.5 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: VIRGINIA TECH FOUNDATION, INC)
TV broadcast stations around Harrisonburg:
- WAZM-CA (Channel 25; STAUNTON-WAYNESBORO, VA; Owner: RUARCH ASSOCIATES LLC)
- WHSV-TV (Channel 3; HARRISONBURG, VA; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
- W45AW (Channel 45; FULKS RUN, VA; Owner: SHENANDOAH VALLEY EDUCATIONAL TV CORP.)
- W18AA (Channel 18; SOUTHERN ROCKINGHAM, VA; Owner: COUNTY OF ROCKINGHAM, VIRGINIA)
- WAZC-LP (Channel 16; LURAY, VA; Owner: RUARCH ASSOCIATES LLC)
- W28BF (Channel 28; HARRISONBURG, VA; Owner: VIRGINIA BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- W46AE (Channel 46; SOUTHERN ROCKINGHAM, VA; Owner: COUNTY OF ROCKINGHAM, VIRGINIA)
- W38AV (Channel 38; LURAY, VA; Owner: SHENANDOAH VALLEY EDUCATIONAL TV CORP.)
- W21AC (Channel 21; CENT.ROCKINGHAM COUN, VA; Owner: COUNTY OF ROCKINGHAM, VIRGINIA)
- WQDK (Channel 257; AHOSKIE, NC; Owner: MAX MEDIA OF THE CAROLINAS LLC)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.