Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 21,655. Estimated population in July 2005: 21,965 (+1.4% change)
Males: 11,413 (52.7%), Females: 10,242 (47.3%)
Median resident age: 31.5 years
Median household income: $72,912 (year 2000)
Median house value: $185,200 (year 2000)
Herndon, VA residents, houses, and apartments details
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Herndon:
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
- White Non-Hispanic (47.0%)
- Hispanic (26.0%)
- Other race (13.0%)
- Black (9.5%)
- Two or more races (5.3%)
- Asian Indian (5.2%)
- Other Asian (3.5%)
- Vietnamese (1.8%)
- Chinese (1.3%)
- Filipino (1.2%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
- Korean (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (9.7%), Irish (9.5%), English (8.6%), United States (4.2%), Italian (3.7%), French (2.5%).
New! Virginia forum
Elevation: 368 feet
Land area: 4.2 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Herndon
- High school or higher: 80.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 40.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 15.2%
- Unemployed: 2.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Herndon town
- Never married: 33.1%
- Now married: 54.4%
- Separated: 3.0%
- Widowed: 3.0%
- Divorced: 6.6%
36.5% Foreign born (19.7% Latin America, 13.4% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +5,601 (+34.9%).
Home Search - homes & get email updates Browse local links & recent sales />
VA Apartments - Virginia Apartment Finder! Virtual Tours, Photos, Floorplans />
Real Estate - 1,000's of VA real estate listings, photo's and daily updates />
Virginia - Herndon? Find Deals & Read Hotel Reviews! />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: VA Reston, (3.1 miles pop. 56,407).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: DC Washington, (26.1 miles pop. 572,059).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: PA Philadelphia, (169.7 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: VA Reston, (3.1 miles VA (6.7 miles Chantilly, Falls, VA (7.5 miles Great Trap, VA (8.1 miles Wolf VA (9.1 miles Oakton, VA (9.7 miles Centreville, VA Fairfax, (10.1 miles VA Vienna, (10.1 miles
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 37 buildings, average cost: $80,500
- 1997: 38 buildings, average cost: $97,200
- 1998: 48 buildings, average cost: $118,700
- 1999: 45 buildings, average cost: $121,700
- 2000: 47 buildings, average cost: $120,900
- 2001: 13 buildings, average cost: $47,700
- 2002: 2 buildings, average cost: $192,500
- 2003: 21 buildings, average cost: $190,400
- 2004: 119 buildings, average cost: $169,700
- 2005: 21 buildings, average cost: $189,400
Latitude: 38.97 N, Longitude: 77.39 W
Area codes: 703, 571
Herndon, Virginia business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (17.8%), Educational,health and social services (11.8%), Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (11.2%), Construction (10.2%), Retail trade (10.2%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +7,907 (+36.5%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,955 (16.2%)
Crime in Herndon by Year
|Type ||2000 ||2002 ||2003 ||2004 |
|Murders ||0 ||0 ||0 ||2 |
| per 100,000 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||0.0 ||9.2 |
|Rapes ||4 ||10 ||3 ||2 |
| per 100,000 ||18.5 ||46.2 ||13.9 ||9.2 |
|Robberies ||19 ||24 ||14 ||6 |
| per 100,000 ||87.7 ||110.8 ||64.7 ||27.7 |
|Assaults ||35 ||31 ||33 ||24 |
| per 100,000 ||161.6 ||143.2 ||152.4 ||110.8 |
|Burglaries ||37 ||35 ||30 ||27 |
| per 100,000 ||170.9 ||161.6 ||138.5 ||124.7 |
|Thefts ||560 ||503 ||494 ||399 |
| per 100,000 ||2586.0 ||2322.8 ||2281.2 ||1842.5 |
|Auto thefts ||66 ||33 ||36 ||40 |
| per 100,000 ||304.8 ||152.4 ||166.2 ||184.7 |
| ||205.8 ||196.8 ||169.7 ||140.6 |
Average climate in Herndon, Virginia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Herndon-area historical tornado activity is above Virginia state average. It is 31% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/5/1979, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 8.4 miles away from the Herndon city center killed one person and injured 6 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 4/28/2002, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 32.5 miles away from the city center killed 3 people and injured 122 people and caused $124 million in damages.
Birthplace of: Wesley L. Fox, Brad Farrell - College basketball player (Loyola MD Greyhounds), Brian Woodson - College basketball player (Liberty Flames), Jason Thomas - College basketball player (American Eagles), Ricky Lucas - College basketball player (George Washington Colonials).
Main business address for: NATIONAL RURAL UTILITIES COOPERATIVE FINANCE CORP /DC/ (MISCELLANEOUS BUSINESS CREDIT INSTITUTION), DIGITALNET HOLDINGS INC (SERVICES-COMPUTER PROGRAMMING SERVICES), LAFARGE NORTH AMERICA INC (CEMENT, HYDRAULIC), EPLUS INC (FINANCE LESSORS).
Hospitals/medical centers near Herndon:
- INOVA FAIR OAKS HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; FAIRFAX, VA)
- NORTHERN VIRGINIA MENTAL HEALTH INSTI (about 16 miles; FALLS CHURCH, VA)
- INOVA FAIRFAX HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; FALLS CHURCH, VA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Herndon:
- WASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL (about 5 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; ID: IAD)
- RONALD REAGAN WASHINGTON NATIONAL (about 26 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; ID: DCA)
- ANDREWS AFB (about 38 miles; CAMP SPRINGS, MD; ID: ADW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Herndon:
- LEESBURG EXECUTIVE (about 13 miles; LEESBURG, VA; ID: JYO)
- MANASSAS REGIONAL/HARRY P. DAVIS FIELD (about 20 miles; MANASSAS, VA; ID: HEF)
- MONTGOMERY COUNTY AIRPARK (about 22 miles; GAITHERSBURG, MD; ID: GAI)
DULLES INTERNATIONAL AP'T (DULLES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT) - Bus Station. Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, car rental agency, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Local government website:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Herndon:
- GEORGE MASON UNIVERSITY (about 10 miles; FAIRFAX, VA; Full-time enrollment: 16,564)
- NORTHERN VIRGINIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 16 miles; ANNANDALE, VA; FT enrollment: 19,406)
- MONTGOMERY COLLEGE (about 18 miles; ROCKVILLE, MD; FT enrollment: 11,829)
- MARYMOUNT UNIVERSITY (about 19 miles; ARLINGTON, VA; FT enrollment: 2,479)
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY (about 21 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; FT enrollment: 8,859)
- UNIVERSITY OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (about 23 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; FT enrollment: 3,223)
- GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY (about 25 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; FT enrollment: 16,045)
Public high school in Herndon:
- HERNDON HIGH (Students: 2,343; Location: 700 BENNETT ST; Grades: 09 - 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Herndon:
- HERNDON MIDDLE (Students: 1,222; Location: 901 LOCUST ST; Grades: 07 - 08)
- CARSON MIDDLE (Students: 1,110; Location: 13618 MCLEAREN RD; Grades: 07 - 08)
- MCNAIR ELEM. (Students: 1,007; Location: 2499 THOMAS JEFFERSON DR.; Grades: PK - 06)
- CROSSFIELD ELEM. (Students: 807; Location: 2791 FOX MILL RD; Grades: PK - 06)
- DRANESVILLE ELEM. (Students: 807; Location: 1515 POWELLS TAVERN PL; Grades: PK - 06)
- FLORIS ELEM. (Students: 786; Location: 2708 CENTREVILLE RD; Grades: PK - 06)
- HERNDON ELEM. (Students: 736; Location: 630 DRANESVILLE RD; Grades: PK - 06)
- OAK HILL ELEM. (Students: 691; Location: 3210 KINROSS CIRCLE; Grades: PK - 06)
- HUTCHISON ELEM. (Students: 642; Location: 13209 PARCHER AVE; Grades: PK - 06)
- FOX MILL ELEM. (Students: 621; Location: 2901 VIKING DR; Grades: PK - 06)
Private primary/middle schools in Herndon:
- ST JOSEPH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 593; Location: 750 PEACHTREE STREET; Grades: KG - 8)
- NYSMITH SCHOOL FOR THE GIFTED (Students: 565; Location: 13625 EDS DR; Grades: PK - 8)
- TEMPLE BAPTIST SCHOOL (Students: 170; Location: 1545 DRANESVILLE RD; Grades: PK - 10)
- FEDERAL CHILDRENS CTR OF NO VA (Students: 120; Location: 530 HUNTMAR PARK DR SUITE 800B; Grades: PK - KG)
- EMBASSY SCHOOL - HERNDON (Students: 81; Location: 3013 WEST OX ROAD; Grades: PK - 2)
- MONTESSORI SCHOOL OF HERNDON (Students: 60; Location: 840 DRANESVILLE RD; Grades: KG - 2)
- FRANKLIN BARN CHILDRENS CENTER (Students: 23; Location: 3005 DOWER HOUSE DR; Grades: KG - KG)
| || |
Notable locations in Herndon: Sugarland Industrial Park (A), Grove Corporate Plaza (B), Stuart Professional Center (C), Hendon Corporate Center (D), Herndon Industrial Venture Park (E), Herndon Municipal Golf Course (F), Baron Cameron Office Park (G), Parkway Trade Center (H), Spring Park Technical Center (I), Worldgate Industrial Park (J), Enterprise Industrial Park (K), Sunset Business Park (L), Herndon Community Center (M), Herndon Fortnightly Library (N), Herndon Police Station (O), Herndon Town Hall (P), Fairfax County Fire Station Company 4 (Q).
Shopping Centers: President Plaza Shopping Center (1), Bank of Potomac Shopping Center (2), Parkway Shopping Center (3), Central Shopping Center (4), Dulles Park Shopping Center (5), Elden Street Marketplace Shopping Center (6).
Churches in Herndon include: Community Christian Church (A), Saint Josephs Church (B), Saint Timothys Episcopal Church (C), Trinity Presbyterian Church (D), Holy Cross Lutheran Church (E), First Baptist Church (F).
Cemetery: Chestnut Grove Cemetery (1).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Smilax Branch (A).
Parks in Herndon include: Alabama Drive Park (1), Herndon Historic District (2), Stanton Park (3), Runnymeade Park (4), Bruin Park (5), Chandon Park (6).
Post office: (A).
Herndon compared to Virginia state average:
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- House age below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Herndon:
- WMET (1150 AM; 50 kW; GAITHERSBURG, MD; Owner: BELTWAY ACQUISITION CORPORATION)
- WUST (1120 AM; daytime; 20 kW; WASHINGTON, DC)
- WTEM (980 AM; 50 kW; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WTOP (1500 AM; 50 kW; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: BONNEVILLE HOLDING COMPANY)
- WKCW (1420 AM; 50 kW; WARRENTON, VA; Owner: WAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WDCT (1310 AM; 5 kW; FAIRFAX, VA; Owner: FAMILY RADIO, LTD.)
- WCBM (680 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WCBM MARYLAND, INC.)
- WTNT (570 AM; 5 kW; BETHESDA, MD; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WPGC (1580 AM; 50 kW; MORNINGSIDE, MD; Owner: INFINITY WPGC(AM), INC.)
- WMAL (630 AM; 5 kW; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: WMAL, INC.)
- WWGB (1030 AM; daytime; 50 kW; INDIAN HEAD, MD; Owner: GOOD BODY MEDIA, LLC)
- WABS (780 AM; daytime; 5 kW; ARLINGTON, VA; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF VIRGINIA, INC.)
- WBAL (1090 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: HEARST RADIO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Herndon:
- WJFK-FM (106.7 FM; MANASSAS, VA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORP. OF WASHINGTON, DC)
- WJZW (105.9 FM; WOODBRIDGE, VA; Owner: WMAL, INC.)
- WMZQ-FM (98.7 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WARW (94.7 FM; BETHESDA, MD; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WIHT (99.5 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WRQX (107.3 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: WMAL, INC.)
- WASH (97.1 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WHUR-FM (96.3 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: THE HOWARD UNIVERSITY)
- WGTS (91.9 FM; TAKOMA PARK, MD; Owner: COLUMBIA UNION COLLEGE BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WETA (90.9 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: GREATER WASHINGTON EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS ASSN.)
- WKYS (93.9 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: RADIO ONE LICENSES, LLC)
- WWDC-FM (101.1 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WAVA (105.1 FM; ARLINGTON, VA; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF VIRGINIA, INC.)
- W228BA (93.5 FM; LEESBURG, VA; Owner: CSN INTERNATIONAL)
- WFRE (99.9 FM; FREDERICK, MD; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- W219BX (91.7 FM; FREDERICK, MD; Owner: CEDAR RIDGE CHILDREN'S HOME & SCHOOL, INC)
- WINC-FM (92.5 FM; WINCHESTER, VA; Owner: MID ATLANTIC NETWORK, INC.)
- WGMS-FM (103.5 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: BONNEVILLE HOLDING COMPANY)
- WPER (89.9 FM; CULPEPER, VA; Owner: POSITIVE ALTERNATIVE RADIO INC.)
- WAMU (88.5 FM; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: THE EXEC. COMM. OF THE BD. OF TRUSTEES OF AMERICAN UNIV.)
TV broadcast stations around Herndon:
- WNVC (Channel 56; FAIRFAX, VA; Owner: COMMONWEALTH PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WTTG (Channel 5; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WETA-TV (Channel 26; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: THE GREATER WASHINGTON ED TELECOMM. ASSOC)
- WPXW (Channel 66; MANASSAS, VA; Owner: PAXSON WASHINGTON LICENSE, INC.)
- WJLA-TV (Channel 7; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: ACC LICENSEE, INC.)
- WUSA (Channel 9; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: THE DETROIT NEWS, INC.)
- WDCA (Channel 20; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WHUT-TV (Channel 32; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: HOWARD UNIVERSITY)
- W42BE (Channel 42; FAIRFAX, VA; Owner: FAIRFAX LOW POWER CO.)
- WRC-TV (Channel 4; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: NBC SUBSIDIARY (WRC-TV), INC.)
- WBDC-TV (Channel 50; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: WBDC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WNVT (Channel 53; GOLDVEIN, VA; Owner: COMMONWEALTH PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WFPT (Channel 62; FREDERICK, MD; Owner: MARYLAND PUBLIC BROADCASTING COMMISSION)
- W28BY (Channel 63; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: INFORMATION SUPER STATION, L.L.C.)
- WMDO-CA (Channel 30; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WZDC-LP (Channel 64; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: ONDA CAPITAL, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.