Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 14,875
Males: 7,183 (48.3%), Females: 7,692 (51.7%)
Median resident age: 34.1 years
Median household income: $42,128 (year 2000)
Median house value: $104,700 (year 2000)
Laurel, VA residents, houses, and apartments details
List your B&M business here for free. Over a million visitors/week. Get a huge advantage over your competition
Races in Laurel:
- White Non-Hispanic (63.4%)
- Black (24.3%)
- Hispanic (4.2%)
- Asian Indian (2.3%)
- Other race (2.1%)
- Two or more races (2.1%)
- Vietnamese (1.6%)
- Chinese (0.9%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
- Other Asian (0.8%)
Ancestries: English (12.5%), Irish (10.6%), German (10.3%), United States (8.7%), Italian (3.4%), French (3.1%).
New! Virginia forum
Land area: 5.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Laurel
- High school or higher: 84.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 26.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.8%
- Unemployed: 3.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Laurel CDP
- Never married: 32.5%
- Now married: 47.6%
- Separated: 2.8%
- Widowed: 5.6%
- Divorced: 11.5%
10.4% Foreign born (4.7% Asia, 3.2% Latin America, 1.3% Europe).
Construction Homes & - throughout New Jersey Paramount Homes- No Gimmicks Needed />
VA Real Estate - true guidance & transaction management in a "crazy" market />
Virginia Homes - of over 8,000 Northern Virginia real estate listings! />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: VA Richmond, (7.3 miles )
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: DC Washington, (94.8 miles pop. 572,059).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: PA Philadelphia, (230.4 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: VA (1.7 miles Dumbarton, Allen, VA Glen (2.3 miles VA (2.7 miles Lakeside, VA (4.7 miles Chamberlayne, VA (5.4 miles Tuckahoe, VA Richmond, (7.3 miles VA (8.4 miles Wyndham, Short Pump, VA (8.5 miles) .
Latitude: 37.63 N, Longitude: 77.51 W
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (16.6%), Retail trade (15.2%), Finance,insurance,real estate,and rental and leasing (14.0%), Professional,scientific,management,administrative,and waste management services (10.8%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +1,945 (+13.1%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 929 (11.5%)
Average climate in Laurel, Virginia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Laurel-area historical tornado activity is above Virginia state average. It is 5% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/6/1993, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 27.1 miles away from the Laurel city center killed 4 people and injured 246 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 4/1/1998, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 17.1 miles away from the city center killed 2 people and caused $800,000 in damages.
Hospitals/medical centers near Laurel:
- HEALTHSOUTH MEDICAL CENTER (about 3 miles; RICHMOND, VA)
- HEALTHSOUTH REHAB HOSP OF VIRGINIA (about 4 miles; RICHMOND, VA)
- ST MARYS HOSPITAL OF RICHMOND (about 4 miles; RICHMOND, VA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Laurel:
- RICHMOND INTERNATIONAL (about 17 miles; RICHMOND, VA; ID: RIC)
- CHARLOTTESVILLE-ALBEMARLE (about 74 miles; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; ID: CHO)
- NEWPORT NEWS/WILLIAMSBURG INTERNATIONAL (about 80 miles; NEWPORT NEWS, VA; ID: PHF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Laurel:
- HANOVER COUNTY MUNI (about 7 miles; RICHMOND/ASHLAND, VA; ID: OFP)
- CHESTERFIELD COUNTY (about 17 miles; RICHMOND, VA; ID: FCI)
- WATHALL CHANNEL (about 25 miles; CHESTER, VA; ID: 2G6)
Amtrak stations near Laurel:
- 2 miles: RICHMOND (7519 STAPLES MILL RD.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar and vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 9 miles: RICHMOND, MAIN STREET (RICHMOND, 1500 MAIN STREET). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms.
- 9 miles: ASHLAND (112 RAILROAD AVE.). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Laurel:
- J SARGEANT REYNOLDS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 2 miles; RICHMOND, VA; Full-time enrollment: 4,906)
- VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH UNIVERSITY (about 7 miles; RICHMOND, VA; FT enrollment: 18,753)
- UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND (about 8 miles; RICHMOND, VA; FT enrollment: 3,756)
- JOHN TYLER COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 20 miles; CHESTER, VA; FT enrollment: 2,520)
- VIRGINIA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 31 miles; PETERSBURG, VA; FT enrollment: 3,641)
- MARY WASHINGTON COLLEGE (about 46 miles; FREDERICKSBURG, VA; FT enrollment: 3,731)
- COLLEGE OF WILLIAM AND MARY (about 58 miles; WILLIAMSBURG, VA; FT enrollment: 7,133)
| || |
Notable locations in Laurel: Hermitage Industrial Center (A), Parham Forest Business Park (B), Henrico County Administration Building (C), Henrico County Courthouse (D), Henrico County Jail (E), Henrico County Juvenile Center (F).
Shopping Centers: Staples Mill Plaza Shopping Center (1), Laurel Park Shopping Center (2), Fountain Square Shopping Center (3).
Churches in Laurel include: Goodwill Church (A), Wistar Heights United Methodist Church (B), Laurel Park Church (C), Faith Baptist Church (D), Mount Vernon Church (E), North Run Church (F), Our Lady of Lourdes Church (G).
Cemetery: Mount Vernon Cemetery (1).
Reservoir: Hoehns Lake (A).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Piney Branch (A).
Laurel compared to Virginia state average:
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Laurel:
- WRNL (910 AM; 5 kW; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBTK (1380 AM; 5 kW; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: SCA LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WREJ (1540 AM; 10 kW; RICHMOND, VA)
- WRVA (1140 AM; 50 kW; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WXGI (950 AM; 4 kW; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: GEE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WGGM (820 AM; 10 kW; CHESTER, VA; Owner: HOFFMAN COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WFTH (1590 AM; 5 kW; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: TRI-CITY CHRISTIAN RADIO, INC.)
- WDZY (1290 AM; 25 kW; COLONIAL HEIGHTS, VA; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WVNZ (1320 AM; 5 kW; RICHMOND, VA)
- WLEE (1320 AM; 5 kW; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: 4M OF RICHMOND, INC)
- WTAR (850 AM; 50 kW; NORFOLK, VA; Owner: SINCLAIR COMMUNICATIONS)
- WHAN (1430 AM; 1 kW; ASHLAND, VA; Owner: FIFTH ESTATE COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WRJR (670 AM; 20 kW; CLAREMONT, VA; Owner: CHESAPEAKE-PORTSMOUTH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Laurel:
- WCDX (92.1 FM; MECHANICSVILLE, VA; Owner: RADIO ONE LICENSES, LLC)
- WCVE-FM (88.9 FM; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: COMMONWEALTH PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WMXB (103.7 FM; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WRXL (102.1 FM; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBTJ (106.5 FM; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WJMO-FM (105.7 FM; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: RADIO ONE LICENSES, LLC)
- WYFJ (100.1 FM; ASHLAND, VA; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- W219CX (91.7 FM; LAKESIDE/RICHMOND, VA; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- WBBT-FM (107.3 FM; POWHATAN, VA; Owner: MAINQUAD, INC.)
- WDCE (90.1 FM; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND)
- WDYL (101.1 FM; CHESTER, VA; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WKJS (104.7 FM; CREWE, VA; Owner: RADIO ONE LICENSES, LLC)
- WKHK (95.3 FM; COLONIAL HEIGHTS, VA; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WWUZ (96.9 FM; BOWLING GREEN, VA; Owner: THE FREE LANCE-STAR PUBLISHING CO. OF FREDERICKSBURG, VA)
- WRVQ (94.5 FM; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WAUQ (89.7 FM; CHARLES CITY, VA; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WJZV (93.1 FM; ETTRICK, VA; Owner: RICHMOND BROADCASTING, INC)
- WTVR-FM (98.1 FM; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- W298AG (107.5 FM; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: CSN INTERNATIONAL)
TV broadcast stations around Laurel:
- WXOB-LP (Channel 17; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: KM BROADCASTING, INC.)
- W48BI (Channel 48; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: WORD OF GOD FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
- WCVE-TV (Channel 23; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: COMMONWEALTH PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRLH-TV (Channel 35; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: WRLH LICENSEE, LLC)
- WTVR-TV (Channel 6; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: ELCOM OF VIRGINIA, INC.)
- WWBT (Channel 12; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: JEFFERSON-PILOT COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY OF VIRGINIA)
- WCVW (Channel 57; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: COMMONWEALTH PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRIC-TV (Channel 8; PETERSBURG, VA; Owner: YOUNG BROADCASTING OF RICHMOND, INC.)
- W39CO (Channel 39; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: NATIONAL MINORITY T.V., INC.)
- WUPV (Channel 65; ASHLAND, VA; Owner: BELL BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- WKYV-LP (Channel 61; KEYSVILLE, VA; Owner: TIGER EYE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WFMA-LP (Channel 52; FARMVILLE, VA; Owner: TIGER EYE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WWAY (Channel 3; WILMINGTON, NC; Owner: LIBCO, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.