Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 11,584
Males: 5,547 (47.9%), Females: 6,037 (52.1%)
Median resident age: 39.5 years
Median household income: $32,359 (year 2000)
Median house value: $86,000 (year 2000)
Madison Heights, VA residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Madison Heights:
- White Non-Hispanic (77.5%)
- Black (19.6%)
- American Indian (1.2%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
- Hispanic (0.9%)
- Other race (0.6%)
Ancestries: United States (25.8%), English (7.6%), Irish (4.9%), German (3.4%), French (1.4%), Scotch-Irish (1.2%).Heights, Virginia
Elevation: 760 feet
Land area: 19.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Madison Heights
- High school or higher: 65.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.6%
- Unemployed: 3.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Madison Heights CDP
- Never married: 23.1%
- Now married: 55.0%
- Separated: 2.8%
- Widowed: 8.7%
- Divorced: 10.4%
1.0% Foreign born
VA County Homes - of over 8,000 Virginia home listings! />
VA Apartments - Virginia Apartment Finder! Virtual Tours, Photos, Floorplans />
Cty Real Estate - all Loudoun homes; receive automatic updates of new listings />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: VA Lynchburg, (4.4 miles )
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NC Greensboro, (105.7 miles pop. 223,891).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: PA Philadelphia, (325.3 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: VA Lynchburg, (4.4 miles VA (10.6 miles Amherst, VA (11.3 miles Forest, VA (11.5 miles Rustburg, VA (11.7 miles Timberlake, VA (20.7 miles Appomattox, VA (25.2 miles Altavista, Vista, VA Buena (25.9 miles
Latitude: 37.44 N, Longitude: 79.12 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 434
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (23.4%), Manufacturing (22.5%), Retail trade (11.4%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: -338 (-2.9%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,339 (27.4%)
Average climate in Madison Heights, Virginia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Madison Heights-area historical tornado activity is below Virginia state average. It is 56% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/16/1966, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 24.5 miles away from the Madison Heights city center caused between $500 and $5000 in damages.
On 4/28/2002, a category 2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 10.0 miles away from the city center injured 12 people and caused $6 million in damages.
Hospitals/medical centers near Madison Heights:
- CENTRAL VIRGINIA TRAINING CENTER (about 5 miles; LYNCHBURG, VA)
- VIRGINIA BAPTIST HOSP & LYNCHBURG GENL (about 7 miles; LYNCHBURG, VA)
- CARILION BEDFORD MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 30 miles; BEDFORD, VA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Madison Heights:
- LYNCHBURG REGIONAL/PRESTON GLENN FLD (about 11 miles; LYNCHBURG, VA; ID: LYH)
- SHENANDOAH VALLEY REGIONAL (about 58 miles; STAUNTON/WAYNESBORO/HARRIS, VA; ID: SHD)
- ROANOKE REGIONAL/WOODRUM FIELD (about 60 miles; ROANOKE, VA; ID: ROA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Madison Heights:
- FALWELL (about 5 miles; LYNCHBURG, VA; ID: W24)
- NEW LONDON (about 20 miles; FOREST, VA; ID: W90)
- BROOKNEAL/CAMPBELL COUNTY (about 23 miles; BROOKNEAL, VA; ID: 0V4)
Amtrak station near Madison Heights:
- 4 miles: LYNCHBURG (825 KEMPER ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Madison Heights:
- LIBERTY UNIVERSITY (about 9 miles; LYNCHBURG, VA; Full-time enrollment: 5,348)
- WASHINGTON AND LEE UNIVERSITY (about 35 miles; LEXINGTON, VA; FT enrollment: 2,063)
- LONGWOOD COLLEGE (about 51 miles; FARMVILLE, VA; FT enrollment: 3,557)
- UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA-MAIN CAMPUS (about 57 miles; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; FT enrollment: 19,602)
- PIEDMONT VIRGINIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 60 miles; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; FT enrollment: 2,012)
- VIRGINIA WESTERN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 61 miles; ROANOKE, VA; FT enrollment: 3,535)
- NATIONAL BUSINESS COLLEGE (about 68 miles; SALEM, VA; FT enrollment: 2,382)
Public primary/middle schools in Madison Heights:
- MONELISON MIDDLE (Students: 668; Location: 257 TROJAN RD; Grades: 06 - 08)
- AMELON ELEM. (Students: 447; Location: 132 AMER COURT; Grades: KG - 05)
- MADISON HEIGHTS ELEM. (Students: 405; Location: 287 LEARNING LN; Grades: KG - 05)
- ELON ELEM. (Students: 280; Location: 147 YOUNGER DR; Grades: KG - 05)
- CENTRAL VA. TRAINING CTR. (Location: EAST ROUTE 210; Grades: PK - 12)
Notable location: Madison Heights Library (A).
Shopping Centers: Amelon Square Shopping Center (1), Seminole Shopping Center (2), Riverside Plaza Shopping Center (3).
Churches in Madison Heights include: Randolph Memorial Church (A), Bailey Chapel (B), Bayley Church (C), Sandy Bottom Chapel (D), Holy Ghost Revival Center (E), Emmanuel Episcopal Church (F), Madison Heights Baptist Church (G), Madison Heights United Methodist Church (H).
Cemeteries: Beth Joseph Agudath Sholom Cemetery (1), Lone Pine Cemetery (2), Mead Cemetery (3).
Reservoirs: Schrader Lake (A), Woody Lake (B).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Stovall Creek (A), Williams Run (B).
Park in Madison Heights: Civitan Park (1).
Post office: (A).
Madison Heights compared to Virginia state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
- Population density below state average for cities.
Strongest AM radio stations in Madison Heights:
- WKPA (1170 AM; 5 kW; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: SEVEN HILLS MEDIA, INC.)
- WVGM (1320 AM; 1 kW; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBRG (1050 AM; 1 kW; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: TRI-COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WLLL (930 AM; 10 kW; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: HUBBARD'S ADVERTISING AGENCY, INC.)
- WLVA (590 AM; 5 kW; LYNCHBURG, VA)
- WAMV (1420 AM; 2 kW; AMHERST, VA; Owner: COMMUNITY FIRST BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WOWZ (1280 AM; 5 kW; APPOMATTOX, VA; Owner: ONECOM, INC.)
- WFTK (1030 AM; daytime; 50 kW; WAKE FOREST, NC; Owner: POSITIVE RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- WPTF (680 AM; 50 kW; RALEIGH, NC; Owner: FIRST STATE COMMUNICATIONS)
- WTRU (830 AM; 50 kW; KERNERSVILLE, NC; Owner: TRUTH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WSVA (550 AM; 10 kW; HARRISONBURG, VA; Owner: M. BELMONT VERSTANDIG, INC.)
- WRVA (1140 AM; 50 kW; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WKCI (970 AM; 5 kW; WAYNESBORO, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Madison Heights:
- WZZU (97.9 FM; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: TRAVIS MEDIA L.L.C.)
- WLNI (105.9 FM; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: GARY E. BURNS)
- WVBE-FM (100.1 FM; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: MEL WHEELER, INC.)
- WNRS-FM (89.9 FM; SWEET BRIAR, VA; Owner: SWEET BRIAR COLLEGE)
- W229AE (93.7 FM; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- W280DB (103.9 FM; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: POSITIVE ALTERNATIVE RADIO, INC.)
- WWMC (90.9 FM; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: LIBERTY UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WYYD (107.9 FM; AMHERST, VA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- W265AS (100.9 FM; CONCORD, VA; Owner: PAUL H. PASSINK)
- WJJX (101.7 FM; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRVL (88.3 FM; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: LIBERTY UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WREL-FM (96.7 FM; BUENA VISTA, VA; Owner: EQUUS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WTON-FM (94.3 FM; STAUNTON, VA; Owner: HIGH IMPACT COMMUNICATIONS INC)
- WMJA (102.7 FM; APPOMATTOX, VA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBWR (106.9 FM; BEDFORD, VA; Owner: BEDFORD RADIO PARTNERS, LLC)
- WRXT (90.3 FM; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: POSITIVE ALTERNATIVE RADIO, INC.)
- WCYK-FM (99.7 FM; STAUNTON, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMRY (103.5 FM; CROZET, VA; Owner: JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY BOARD OF VISITORS)
- WXCF-FM (103.9 FM; CLIFTON FORGE, VA; Owner: IMPACT BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WVTU (89.3 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: VIRGINIA TECH FOUNDATION INC)
TV broadcast stations around Madison Heights:
- WTLU-CA (Channel 19; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: LIBERTY UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WSET-TV (Channel 13; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: WSET INCORPORATED)
- WJPR (Channel 21; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: GRANT BROADCASTING SYSTEMS II, INC.)
- W80AN (Channel 80; AMHERST, VA; Owner: BLUE RIDGE PUBLIC TELEVISION, INC.)
- W60BM (Channel 60; RUSTBURG, ETC., VA; Owner: COMMONWEALTH PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.